Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roberto Mancini
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:48 am 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9646908/Why-November-is-the-cruellest-month-for-managers-in-the-Premier-League.html

Interesting name stands out here

In all seriousness now, don't you think that the way the media talk about City's owners verges on the racist?

What evidence do they have for suggesting that either Mancini is really under threat or that there is any to suggest that Sheik Mansours or his advisors have been trigger happy up until now?
When they bought the club they gave Mark Hughes (a manager with little pedigree in the UK never mind internationally) plenty of time and plenty of money to build a winning side. He patently failed to do this and squandered some of the money given to him on players that hang like a millstone to this day. his record since leaving us appears to show that he was given too much time at City rather than too little.
The manner of his sacking was roundly criticised by the British media but I would argue it was just sound business management by the club. A prolonged period of uncertainty was the last thing we needed at that time.

We've also been treated to plenty of "mad Arabs" stories like the utterly fictitious one about the players all being given £100k gold watches on a visit to the Sheik.

The reality is that City have never had owners as wealthy as Sheik Mansour but we've probably never had such an intelligent one either.
The investment they are putting in at every level points to a long-term vision to put City alongside the biggest names in football like Madrid, Barcelona and Milan.

Managers will come and go in this process but the "revolving door" policy at City has long since been replaced by a team based approach that accepts that results on the pitch are the responsibility of successes or failures of a structure of management and squad recruitment rather than the ability of one man to properly motivate the players with a stirring five minute address before kick-off or by screaming like a banshee at half-time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:01 am 

Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9646908/Why-November-is-the-cruellest-month-for-managers-in-the-Premier-League.html

In all seriousness now, don't you think that the way the media talk about City's owners verges on the racist?

What evidence do they have for suggesting that either Mancini is really under threat or that there is any to suggest that Sheik Mansours or his advisors have been trigger happy up until now?
When they bought the club they gave Mark Hughes (a manager with little pedigree in the UK never mind internationally) plenty of time and plenty of money to build a winning side. He patently failed to do this and squandered some of the money given to him on players that hang like a millstone to this day. his record since leaving us appears to show that he was given too much time at City rather than too little.
The manner of his sacking was roundly criticised by the British media but I would argue it was just sound business management by the club. A prolonged period of uncertainty was the last thing we needed at that time.

We've also been treated to plenty of "mad Arabs" stories like the utterly fictitious one about the players all being given £100k gold watches on a visit to the Sheik.

The reality is that City have never had owners as wealthy as Sheik Mansour but we've probably never had such an intelligent one either.
The investment they are putting in at every level points to a long-term vision to put City alongside the biggest names in football like Madrid, Barcelona and Milan.

Managers will come and go in this process but the "revolving door" policy at City has long since been replaced by a team based approach that accepts that results on the pitch are the responsibility of successes or failures of a structure of management and squad recruitment rather than the ability of one man to properly motivate the players with a stirring five minute address before kick-off or by screaming like a banshee at half-time.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:18 am 

Generally agree with Cloudy.
Itrust that the sheikh and his men are sensible enough to look upon this season's slightly less than successful start as second season syndrome. We are still the only unbeaten team in the League , but the failure in our European adventures cannot all be put down to the group draw,difficult as it is.
Re the removal of Hughes there were rumours that City officials were in contact with Mancini some weeks before Hughes left and it may worry Mancini that Bergiristain and the other Barcelona chap are now in charge and that Guardiola is actually between engagements at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:21 am 

Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:

^^^well articulated..
but I do think that RMs performance (so far) in the CL will be his downfall if its perceived he's hit his ceiling. The first round, in terms of finances, is far from chumps money but the real prize in terms of finances and increasing revenue streams is the knock out stages and the ability to continue to qualify for them. We all know that nothing can be guaranteed in football but if the performances in the CL continue the way they have started I wouldn't be surprised if this is Roberto's last season.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:26 am 

Well said Cloudy, Bert and TS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 am 

Winning the Premiership is more difficult than winning the CL. Anyone can win the CL as Chelsea showed last year, all you have to do is string a couple of flukey results together and call them "heroic".

I know the buck stops with the manager, but I personally don't think Mancini's done a lot wrong this year; 5 mins from a win at the Bernabau, draw against a very good Borussia Dortmund team, let down by the players against Ajax (while playing 442). There's no such thing as someone who's a great manager in the league but useless in Europe. It doesn't make sense. We'll get there with Mancini in the end, provided he's given time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:37 am 

I think anyone with the notion that Roberto Mancini's job may be in jeopardy is way off the mark. As Cloudy said, they have shown generous patience to Hughes and even Bobby in the early parts and as long as they see a long term vision and it makes sense then they will continue.

The investment in the club has been fantastic. Whether it is the personnel on and off the pitch, new scoreboard, changes to the ground (after supporter survey), the continual bolstering of the academy and even the much mocked 'City Square' is light years from what Maine Road was. We all miss the romance of the old ground but it's 2012 and progress and change are inevitable. I love where the club is going.

We haven't started in bad shape, we're equal 2nd while playing 6/10 football. Patience. Please.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:00 pm 

Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:

Is that going a bit far? They're certainly bundled in with the trigger happy/expensive plaything/get bored and decide to go buy something else bullshit, but I don't generally get a racism vibe.

Quote:

Well, they don't really suggest he's under threat, and they don't mention Mansour or the owners at all. Or were you talking about the press in general?

Concur with the rest of your post though.

Guardiola is an interesting proposition though....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:10 pm 

Quote:

More in keeping with the new sexy City, too. I know we were all swooning over Mancini and his Italian charms but he isn't getting any younger and he can't live off the past glory of his devil may care scarf wearing forever

Last edited by NoddytheAdlingtonBlue on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:22 pm 

Arsenal and Barcelona, City feeder clubs since 2009. :cool:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:25 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:

Is that going a bit far? They're certainly bundled in with the trigger happy/expensive plaything/get bored and decide to go buy something else bullshit, but I don't generally get a racism vibe.

Quote:

Well, they don't really suggest he's under threat, and they don't mention Mansour or the owners at all. Or were you talking about the press in general?

I thought you might take issue with this and I did give it some thought before I posted it.
Maybe more xenophobic rather than racist is what I'm getting at?
Whenever we have "foreign" owners at a club the press (papers especially) are quickly off the mark with stories that imply that they don't understand the English game and will alienate supporters.
If you look at teams like United with the Glazers, Chelsea and Abramovic, Liverpool with it's two lots of Americans, Blackburn with the Venky's, us with Mansour, I get the feeling that they're considered unworthy simply because they're not British.

Tbf, you get this with British business too. When BMW rescued our very own Rover from a gigantic shitheap that exposed us as a nation of bitter class ridden idiots we were still told that we were selling off the crown jewels.
The depth of the complete turkey that BMW had bought only became apparent after they'd spent billions trying to modernise both the plant and people to the point that it nearly bankrupted them.
The news that Jaguar/Land Rover was to be sold to Indians was greeted with horror and derision by some of the media but the reality so far at least, is that they've gone from strength to strength.

The article that Bert was referencing has Mancini's photo as a manager under threat. That suggests to me that they think he could be sacked. No?

As for Guardiola, I said on another thread that recent appointments at the club might suggest that he could be Mancini's replacement were he to go. Like I said, managers will come and go as will plenty of others both on and off the pitch.
My point, I suppose, is that the constant speculation over Mancini suggests a knee jerk response from the Sheik when his track record shows precisely the opposite.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:30 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
I think anyone with the notion that Roberto Mancini's job may be in jeopardy is way off the mark. As Cloudy said, they have shown generous patience to Hughes and even Bobby in the early parts and as long as they see a long term vision and it makes sense then they will continue.

The investment in the club has been fantastic. Whether it is the personnel on and off the pitch, new scoreboard, changes to the ground (after supporter survey), the continual bolstering of the academy and even the much mocked 'City Square' is light years from what Maine Road was. We all miss the romance of the old ground but it's 2012 and progress and change are inevitable. I love where the club is going.

We haven't started in bad shape, we're equal 2nd while playing 6/10 football. Patience. Please.

I don't want anyone to think I'm impatient with Roberto, I'm not - the start this season may have been better but our present position in the league and the last few seasons have gone way beyond any hopes or dreams that I may have had say 10 years ago..(who'd have thunk it!!)
But I do think a healthy dose of realism wouldn't go astray..the key word in all this is investment..The owners have invested heavily in this and they will be looking for some returns (especially in light of the new financial rulings). They have a vision and in which the CL plays a huge part in this. Look at the viewing figures for the Scum v Chavs final - about a billion people tuned in!! If Roberto pulls off the miracle and gets us into the knock-out stages I'd say he's safe for next season - no issues. If however, he seriously drops a bollock and we finish bottom of our group he may be given one more season, dependent on how well we do on the domestic front, but if he does get one more season I reckon he's very definitely in the last chance saloon and he'll have to come out of traps in spectacular style to avoid the chop this time next year..
"It's not personal, it's strictly business..."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:37 pm 

At a slight tangent I know but read the following as an example of a different perspective on Blatter rather than the usual one that our media like to feed us:

Sepp Blatter said English football was 'run by idiots', claims Seb Coe

Sepp Blatter thought English football being "run by idiots" was a key reason for England's failure to win the right to stage the 2018 World Cup finals, according to a new book by Sebastian Coe.

Coe became involved in England's bid after leading London's successful bid in 2005 to hosts the 2012 Olympics. He was later appointed by Blatter to chair Fifa's Ethics Committee, but stepped down from that role to work unpaid to help bring the World Cup back to England for the first time since 1966.

But, he says, almost from the start of his involvement he felt the bid was doomed to fail. "It's got the smell of death about it," he told his fellow executive Keith Mills, the chief executive of the London Olympic bid, after the two attended their first England 2018 meeting together.

"I had been truly shocked by the vituperative nature of the meeting I had just witnessed. There was thinly disguised contempt around the table."

After the bid failed, with only two Fifa votes, one of which was from England's own delegate Geoff Thompson, Coe said much of the blame was laid at the door of the British media who had heavily criticised Fifa in the run-up to the vote in Zurich on 2 December 2010.

"I am less willing to lay the blame at the media's door," Coe says. "Ultimately the fault, I believe, lies with the awful dysfunctionality of the English game, its personalities and politics.

"First you have the FA, which is the regulatory body. Then you have the Premier League… then you have the big clubs and the moguls including Roman Abramovich at Chelsea and the Glazers at Manchester United, not forgetting the big beast managers such as Alex Ferguson and Arsène Wenger.

"This has always been a very uncomfortable set of relationships, at best strained. The fact they didn't trust each other and didn't much like each other was a problem.

"The FA distrusted the Premiership, the Premiership distrusted the FA and Brian Mawhinney, as chairman of the Football League, wasn't comfortable with any of them."

Against this background, says Coe, his "instincts" were that Blatter always wanted to take the World Cup to Russia, which is what transpired. However, he said, people who believed Blatter wanted that outcome because he hated England were wrong.

"He doesn't. He's Swiss and like a lot of Swiss, he's rather fond of England. He likes the political stability, he likes the pomp and tradition. What he always has a problem with is the English game. And from his perspective, its not hard to understand.

"As president of the international federation he sees the unwillingness of English clubs to release players for international duty. He sees the purchasing power of the English game – big-name clubs buying up players from all over the world.

"And he sees a national federation, that, at the time of the bid, had no chairman and no chief executive.

"Blatter once said to me: 'Your game is run by idiots, it's not run by bright people'… I was obviously disappointed, very disappointed."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... ts-seb-coe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:12 pm 

Manchester City's Roberto Mancini was in secret talks to join Monaco

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... ini-monaco

Quote:
The Manchester City manager, Roberto Mancini, held extensive negotiations with Monaco with a view to joining the club at the end of last season. The talks, lasting almost three months, led to Monaco believing he would join them and can be revealed for the first time .

The details of the extraordinary negotiations have been disclosed to the Guardian, corroborated at the highest level, and suggest that Mancini was close to accepting Monaco's offer, before opting to stay at City when his team overhauled Manchester United to clinch their first title since 1968.

The five-year contract, put forward during a meeting in Rome, was tax-free with Monaco's majority shareholder, the Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev, willing to pay Mancini €8m (£6.4m) a year, plus substantial bonuses, if he left the Etihad Stadium. Rybolovlev, ranked 100th on the Forbes list of billionaires, bought his majority stake in Monaco in December 2011 and is determined to use his wealth to return the club to the Champions League after a difficult period in which the 2004 finalists have dropped into Ligue 2.

Mancini was involved in secret talks, tempted with a financial package that would have meant there were only two other managers in the world, Carlo Ancelotti at Paris Saint-Germain and Guus Hiddink at FC Anzhi Makhachkala, on higher salaries.

Mancini eventually signed a new five-year contract at City in July, but not before Monaco had formed the distinct impression he was willing to sever his ties with his current club. The Italian is hugely popular with City's supporters, winning the FA Cup in his first full season after replacing Mark Hughes and following that by steering them to the league title. His position has started to come under scrutiny recently because of City's difficulties in the Champions League, and briefly did so at one point towards the end of last season, but until now there has never been any indication that, at any stage, he has already been considering his next move.

It may be that Mancini, who declined to comment, was simply hedging his bets in case he lost his job at the Etihad Stadium and regarded Monaco as the next best alternative. The information supplied to this newspaper, however, states that all terms of a prospective contract with Monaco had been agreed. Monaco, in short, were convinced they had got their man.

The negotiations began at the turn of the year, according to high-level sources with access to the figures involved, and the final meeting took place in Rome shortly after the 1-0 defeat for City at Arsenal in early April, a result that left Mancini's team eight points behind United in the title race.

Mancini accepted after that game that City had all but lost the league and in the coming days well-placed sources confirmed that his position could not be guaranteed and would be reviewed at the end of the season. Mancini's job was described as potentially at risk should City tail off in the final six games and finish even further off the top.

Instead, United surrendered their lead and City won the title courtesy of Sergio Agüero's stoppage-time winner against Queens Park Rangers in the final game. It was after that victory that Monaco were informed Mancini was no longer interested in their vacancy. The seven-times French champions appointed Claudio Ranieri two weeks later on a two-year deal, with the option for a further 12 months, saying "he clearly emerged as the outstanding candidate". Stefano Pioli, the Bologna coach, was also discussed when it came to replacing Marco Simone. Mancini, however, was the first choice.

Rybolovlev took over at Monaco at a recent nadir in their history, with the club bottom of Ligue 2 and in serious danger of falling into the third tier of French football. They recovered to finish eighth last season and Ranieri has taken them to the top of the table 12 games into the new campaign.

Mancini, who was also prominently linked with the Russia national job before Fabio Capello's appointment in July, has continued the business of trying to turn City into the major force of English football. City are third in the league, unbeaten after nine games, but have only a solitary point from their three Champions League fixtures against Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund and Ajax and sit at the bottom of their group, facing the distinct possibility they might not even qualify for the Europa League.

At the same time City, who also declined to comment, have appointed Txiki Begiristain as their new director of football. Begiristain previously worked at Barcelona, as did City's new chief executive, Ferran Soriano. That, in turn, has led to increased speculation about Pep Guardiola's potential availability at the end of the season.

The revelations about the Monaco job are not linked to that but, equally, they will not help Mancini when it comes to his relationship with the relevant people in Abu Dhabi. The club's owners are known to be concerned about the team's failures in Europe but Mancini's difficulties have been predominantly with Brian Marwood, the club's football administrator with responsibility for transfers, and the previous chief executive, Garry Cook. Marwood has since been demoted after the appointment of Begiristain.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:26 pm 

I suspect that all top managers have a Plan b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:28 pm 

so..hello pep.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:49 pm 

I suspect that all top managers have a Plan b

I saw Plan B being interviewed about the Mercury Awards.

Doesn't he have a strange accent? :confused:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:03 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:

Quote:

they tend not to lay into abramovich anywhere near the same degree though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:10 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
Bastard wrote:
Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:

Quote:

they tend not to lay into abramovich anywhere near the same degree though.

Same degree as what? as our owners? tbf our lot hardly ever get mentioned do they? Abramovic has been in probably half of the big Chelsea stories of the last however many years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:42 pm 

Is there actually a precedent for a rich owner leaving a club in the shit? As far as I can tell, the only time it really happens is when a not-so-rich owner overextends themselves and ends up writing a lot of cheques they can't back up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 67  Next