This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:50 pm 

Manchester City

Sven stops player boycott
Chris Bailey
1/ 5/2008

SVEN-Goran Eriksson has talked his players out of boycotting City's end-of-season tour to the Far East.

It is understood senior Blues stars, believed to have been led by skipper Richard Dunne, offered to sign a letter of protest saying they would not travel without their boss on the trip to Thailand and Hong Kong scheduled for the week after the end of the season.

Eriksson is believed to have expressed his gratitude but persuaded them that it was not the right course of action.

Meawhile as angry fans last night continued their pro-Sven protests, the man in the eye of the storm appealed for general calm.

The Blues boss is almost certain to be handed his cards once the Premier League season is over, even though that saga took a bizarre twist when Thaksin Shinawatra's son declared that the Swede would still be in charge for the Far East trip.

Whether he visits Thailand and Hong Kong with the team or is paid off beforehand is still in doubt but Eriksson's determination to be in the dugout for the last two games of the season cerrtainly isn't.

In the same quiet, diplomatic way in which he has conducted all his public dealings since taking over from Stuart Pearce last summer, the Swede is focusing on only the trip to Liverpool on Sunday afternoon.

But it hasn't stopped Blues fans voicing their deep discontent at the manager's pending departure.

An online petition has been set up that has already attracted more than 4,000 signatures in 48 hours. It demands that the owner has a rethink about his plans to relieve Eriksson of his duties and bring in a new boss in the summer.

The club's switchboard and e-mail address have both been swamped with callers issuing the same plea, though a protest planned for last night outside Eastlands turned into a non-event with only a couple of dozen people turning up and at one point almost being outnumbered by the attendant media.

Despite the long, lingering goodbye that Eriksson is now stoically enduring, the former England boss - who will hold out for a pay-off covering the last two years of his £1.5m per annum deal - has urged his players to ignore all the speculation, anger and confusion and buckle down to finish the campaign with a bang.

"We are all professionals and we must concentrate on the two games we have left to play. It is strange to have two away games to finish and they are both difficult matches but I am sure we are going to produce good performances in both those matches,” he declared with the air of a man who knows that the dressing room is right behind him.

“If we will win or not at Liverpool you never know because they are a top side but all those fans that travel to see us play at Anfield and all those watching back home will see a good performance.

“The players are determined there are certainly no signs in training that they have packed their bags for their summer holiday. They did excellent sessions earlier this week and playing Liverpool is always special.

“There will be days of speculation, I am sure, but we must be focussed on winning matches.”

Fans travelling to the Liverpool game are planning to take banners in support of Eriksson that they hope will be seen on the live television pictures beamed to Thailand where Shinawatra is expected to be watching while he prepares to fight corruption charges and to have his £800million worth of cash assets unfrozen by the authorities in his homeland.

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan has told City's Thai owner Dr Thaksin Shinawatra to listen to the Blues fans and stick with manager Sven Goran Eriksson.

Whelan has praised the City fans. He told MEN Sport: “They clearly want Sven to stay and the fans' view is normally the right one - the City owner should realise this.

“I certainly wouldn't be sacking Sven, there is no logic in sacking a manager who has just given City their best season for ages. If Sven is sacked, it's wrong and he can feel badly done to - he's done a terrific job in my view.”

*CITY'S Senior Cup interest was ended by Bury yesterday. The Blues scored through Ian Daly and James Poole but not until the Shakers had swept into a 3-0 lead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:52 pm 

errr.....

Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson will lead his side on an end-of-season tour of Thailand, before being sacked by owner Thaksin Shinawtra. (Various)

:confused:

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:53 pm 
slart wrote:
Manchester City

Sven stops player boycott
Chris Bailey
1/ 5/2008

SVEN-Goran Eriksson has talked his players out of boycotting City's end-of-season tour to the Far East.

It is understood senior Blues stars, believed to have been led by skipper Richard Dunne, offered to sign a letter of protest saying they would not travel without their boss on the trip to Thailand and Hong Kong scheduled for the week after the end of the season.

Eriksson is believed to have expressed his gratitude but persuaded them that it was not the right course of action.

Meawhile as angry fans last night continued their pro-Sven protests, the man in the eye of the storm appealed for general calm.

The Blues boss is almost certain to be handed his cards once the Premier League season is over, even though that saga took a bizarre twist when Thaksin Shinawatra's son declared that the Swede would still be in charge for the Far East trip.

Whether he visits Thailand and Hong Kong with the team or is paid off beforehand is still in doubt but Eriksson's determination to be in the dugout for the last two games of the season cerrtainly isn't.

In the same quiet, diplomatic way in which he has conducted all his public dealings since taking over from Stuart Pearce last summer, the Swede is focusing on only the trip to Liverpool on Sunday afternoon.

But it hasn't stopped Blues fans voicing their deep discontent at the manager's pending departure.

An online petition has been set up that has already attracted more than 4,000 signatures in 48 hours. It demands that the owner has a rethink about his plans to relieve Eriksson of his duties and bring in a new boss in the summer.

The club's switchboard and e-mail address have both been swamped with callers issuing the same plea, though a protest planned for last night outside Eastlands turned into a non-event with only a couple of dozen people turning up and at one point almost being outnumbered by the attendant media.

Despite the long, lingering goodbye that Eriksson is now stoically enduring, the former England boss - who will hold out for a pay-off covering the last two years of his £1.5m per annum deal - has urged his players to ignore all the speculation, anger and confusion and buckle down to finish the campaign with a bang.

"We are all professionals and we must concentrate on the two games we have left to play. It is strange to have two away games to finish and they are both difficult matches but I am sure we are going to produce good performances in both those matches,” he declared with the air of a man who knows that the dressing room is right behind him.

“If we will win or not at Liverpool you never know because they are a top side but all those fans that travel to see us play at Anfield and all those watching back home will see a good performance.

“The players are determined there are certainly no signs in training that they have packed their bags for their summer holiday. They did excellent sessions earlier this week and playing Liverpool is always special.

“There will be days of speculation, I am sure, but we must be focussed on winning matches.”

Fans travelling to the Liverpool game are planning to take banners in support of Eriksson that they hope will be seen on the live television pictures beamed to Thailand where Shinawatra is expected to be watching while he prepares to fight corruption charges and to have his £800million worth of cash assets unfrozen by the authorities in his homeland.

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan has told City's Thai owner Dr Thaksin Shinawatra to listen to the Blues fans and stick with manager Sven Goran Eriksson.

Whelan has praised the City fans. He told MEN Sport: “They clearly want Sven to stay and the fans' view is normally the right one - the City owner should realise this.

“I certainly wouldn't be sacking Sven, there is no logic in sacking a manager who has just given City their best season for ages. If Sven is sacked, it's wrong and he can feel badly done to - he's done a terrific job in my view.”

*CITY'S Senior Cup interest was ended by Bury yesterday. The Blues scored through Ian Daly and James Poole but not until the Shakers had swept into a 3-0 lead.

I really don't get this article. Hasn't it already been announced that Sven is going on the tour of Asia. The OS said he is, so that would make this article redundant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:58 pm 

Can't see anything on the OS about this since Fulham game and the increase in the speculation.

Not sure anything official has been announced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:01 pm 
Maurizio wrote:
Can't see anything on the OS about this since Fulham game and the increase in the speculation.

Not sure anything official has been announced.

Well I read it somewhere for sure. Perhaps they removed it from the OS then, although more likely I read it on the MUEN site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:44 pm 

Emigre wrote:
Well I read it somewhere for sure. Perhaps they removed it from the OS then, although more likely I read it on the MUEN site.

This it?
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1047752_sven_stops_player_boycott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:57 pm 
ThyGoat wrote:

Erm no. That's the original article. I'm talking about the one that says Sven is leading City on the tour. Never mind. Not important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:01 pm 

Emigre wrote:
Erm no. That's the original article. I'm talking about the one that says Sven is leading City on the tour. Never mind. Not important.

:o
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/04/30/manual_124021.html&TEAMHD=soccer
That one. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:06 pm 
ThyGoat wrote:

Yay. Although I'm fairly sure I read it on the OS but it's since been removed which perhaps tells the real story. Anyhoo, only time will tell.

I heart City and will continue to heart City long after Frank, Sven et al have gone. The club is bigger than any one person.