Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:28 pm 

[SIZE="4"]Manchester City's boardroom boost as owner Thaksin Shinawatra clinches signing of a Nike guy[/SIZE]

Manchester City will announce the impressive boardroom signing of one of Nike's senior sports marketing executives to run the club.

Owner Thaksin Shinawatra has moved to offer Garry Cook the position of executive chairman with the brief to turn City into a Barclays Premier League superpower.

Thaksin wanted a British supremo with an understanding of football to take the post and American-based Cook is a long-standing Birmingham fan. City will also appoint a new manager to replace Sven Goran Eriksson and invest in new players this summer, including at least one 'box office' signing.

Cook will have the responsibility of overseeing City's budget, including their player recruitment programme and expanding their global appeal, specifically across America and Asia where he has expertise of marketing the Nike brand.

Cook, 45, has worked in the sports industry for 22 years and is president of Nike's Brand Jordan, where he has worked closely with basketball legend Michael Jordan. Brand Jordan sales have helped Nike become the world's No 1 seller of sports shoes.

Sources in America claimed last night that Jordan himself had tried to persuade the Birmingham-born businessman not to leave the company.

Cook has worked for Nike in a variety of roles for the past 12 years but has now agreed a three-year contract at the City of Manchester Stadium. He expects to take up his new position by the start of next season after working a short notice period.

Highly-rated chief executive Alistair Macintosh will report directly to Cook as City set up a new management structure.

One Nike source said: 'For Garry to leave such a key position here, Manchester City must be an attractive project. We tried to keep him, but this is not about money. Clearly, they must have a great deal of ambition. This guy is a serious operator, a class act.'

Luring Cook from Nike will be seen by industry insiders as a great coup for City and ends their worldwide search for a powerful senior figure to take the club to the next level.

The Nike source added: 'Garry is his own man. He has vast experience of working in the UK, as well as leading Nike's sales force in Africa, the Middle East and Europe. The company will wish him well.'

Cook also has experience of working alongside leading sports personalities and City hope his appointment will help them in their pursuit of high profile signings.

Ronaldinho, for instance, has been in talks with City's current board through his brother and agent, who recently visited the club. The Brazilian is one of Nike's leading football ambassadors.

It promises to be a busy summer for City, with Portugal manager Luiz Felipe 'Big Phil' Scolari leading the way to replace Eriksson, who expects to be sacked following a boardroom review of the season.

Eriksson, who could move to Benfica, still has support among City fans.

An online petition has been set up that has already attracted more than 4,000 signatures in 48 hours demanding that the owner has a rethink and a protest is planned for City's game at Liverpool on Sunday.

Meanwhile, it has been revealed that City captain Richard Dunne and other senior players had to be persuaded by Eriksson not to boycott their summer tour to the Far East.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:30 pm 

Seems there is unrest within the squad already if you read the last bit.
Good piece of business for the club though

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:31 pm 

I'm glad to see everything is going smoothly then.

Quote:
The world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and love everyone. Try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go. And so I became a waiter ... Well, it's not much of a philosophy I know ... but well ... fuck you! I can live my own life in my own way if I want to! Fuck off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:34 pm 

The "box office signing" and the rumours of Scolari have put me at ease a bit, but I'm still not too happy with the situation surrounding the club at the moment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:37 pm 

the ghost of gibbi wrote:
The "box office signing" and the rumours of Scolari have put me at ease a bit, but I'm still not too happy with the situation surrounding the club at the moment

I don't want Scolari (though I didn't want Sven so what do I know?)
He's got no club experience.

I don't really want a box office signing either. Ronaldinho can fuck off.
Not happy with what's happening at the moment at all. I don't have much faith in Toxic Shinawatra right now.

Quote:
The world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and love everyone. Try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go. And so I became a waiter ... Well, it's not much of a philosophy I know ... but well ... fuck you! I can live my own life in my own way if I want to! Fuck off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:39 pm 

Micahrichardsatemybaby wrote:
I don't want Scolari (though I didn't want Sven so what do I know?)
He's got no club experience.

I don't really want a box office signing either. Ronaldinho can fuck off.
Not happy with what's happening at the moment at all. I don't have much faith in Toxic Shinawatra right now.

Should Sven leave, I believe there would be little chance of Ronaldinho. Apparently he was told the team would be built around him by Sven.
Scolari would be a welcome choice, but I really don't want Sven to leave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:45 pm 

Should Sven leave, I believe there would be little chance of Ronaldinho. Apparently he was told the team would be built around him by Sven.
Scolari would be a welcome choice, but I really don't want Sven to leave

Well that would have been a terrible idea in my opinion. Build the team around an aging, fading superstar who has issues with training and no reason to join the club beyond money.

If Sven gets sacked anyway, I can't see which high profile managers will be mental enough to take on the job. "Hit my targets and I'll sack you. Because I had secret targets, and you fucked up big style! ha ha ha ha" etc etc

Not. Happy.

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:47 pm 

Well that would have been a terrible idea in my opinion. Build the team around an aging, fading superstar who has issues with training and no reason to join the club beyond money.
If Sven gets sacked anyway, I can't see which high profile managers will be mental enough to take on the job. "Hit my targets and I'll sack you. Because I had secret targets, and you fucked up big style! ha ha ha ha" etc etc

Not. Happy.

This is possibly the only reason I can see for Sven leaving. Does anyone know what his targets were, why Sven is being forced out, and why he is tearing the club apart?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:52 pm 

who is tearing the club apart? the club has never been so healthy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:53 pm 

Bluewythy wrote:

In terms of Sven leaving, Dunney to Newcastle, Micah to Rags, Elano and Petrov leaving if Sven is booted, he is simply tearing apart the club!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:53 pm 

Bluewythy wrote:

So in say two weeks when we sack our most successful premiership manager, how healthy will the club be?
Say Scolari turns us down, or he's not as good as his predecessor, or the players are loyal to Sven? It won't still be healthy surely?

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:54 pm 
Ahem...

http://www.mancityforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:55 pm 

Emigre wrote:

Sorry dood, this one's got interesting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:56 pm 

In terms of Sven leaving, Dunney to Newcastle, Micah to Rags, Elano and Petrov leaving if Sven is booted, he is simply tearing apart the club!

He's gotta think about whats more important. Sacking Sven and all the players following him out and getting a new manager that has no club experience what so ever or keeping Sven, letting him splash come cash and possibly getting Europe next season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:57 pm 
Sorry dood, this one's got depressing as per usual

Fixed it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:59 pm 

King of the North Stand wrote:
He's gotta think about whats more important. Sacking Sven and all the players following him out and getting a new manager that has no club experience what so ever or keeping Sven, letting him splash come cash and possibly getting Europe next season.

Couldn't agree more if I wanted to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:59 pm 

So in say two weeks when we sack our most successful premiership manager, how healthy will the club be?
Say Scolari turns us down, or he's not as good as his predecessor, or the players are loyal to Sven? It won't still be healthy surely?

in comparison to how it has ever been. we would be healthy in a financial sense, with a squad of young talented players and a strong staff in business terms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:00 pm 
Bluewythy wrote:
in comparison to how it has ever been. we would be healthy in a financial sense, with a squad of young talented players and a strong staff in business terms.

Exactly. If the players can't be loyal to the club through thick and thin then fuck em. We are.*

Loyal, not fucking them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:01 pm 

Emigre wrote:
Exactly. If the players can't be loyal to the club through thick and thin then fuck em. We are.*

Loyal, not fucking them.

So if Dunney Micah Elano Petrov and Johnno all went, you wouldn't care???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:02 pm 

Bluewythy wrote:

But without a manager.

Quote: