Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:19 pm 

From The Irish Times.

Forget Kaka and give us back the old City idiot

Mark Hughes should not have alligned himself with Manchester City if he wanted to steer clear of downright craziness

IT’S VERY easy to laugh at Manchester City, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. Football needs its jokers – more than ever in this po-faced age – and City have always been one of the game’s most beloved jesters. They are the roly-poly buffoon to Manchester United’s straight man, the office idiot who, while never in danger of winning a promotion, is always the one everyone wants to get in the Secret Santa.

Alex Ferguson, whose anthology of one-liners would surely make terrific stocking-filler, never tires of suggesting that City’s Eastlands home should be re-named “The Temple of Doom” but this is actually rather kind.

Indiana Jones, after all, is the hero who never fails to get the girl, save the treasure or kill the bad guy. If City embarked on a similar escapade – Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Sky Blue Numbskulls , perhaps – the script would be rather different: the Holy Grail would be dropped into a ravine, the girl would end up in bed with Indy’s best mate, and Dr Jones would probably lose an arm trying to retrieve his battered trilby from beneath a falling boulder.

Remember, this is a club which bodged a final-day survival scrap in 1996 so badly they were trying to kill time near one of Maine Road’s corner-flags when they still needed another goal to stay up; a club which, having been bestowed with a glittering new arena by the local council, decided to name one of the stands after Colin Bell – hence burdening themselves with a “Bell End”.

The Blue Moonies, as they are rather ungraciously referred to by their red neighbours, used to wear their jokey reputation as a badge of honour, all of which makes their new-found status as the world’s wealthiest club, chasing players like Kaka, all the more difficult to stomach. It is an inversion of the world’s natural order, like Malvolio winning the heart of Viola or Mr Bean being elected President.

Thankfully, and predictably, City are making a complete pig’s ear of their new-found good fortune. On the field, they have been humiliated by the likes of Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup and are still up to their necks in the relegation quicksands despite Saturday’s hugely fortuitous win over Wigan.

But it’s off it that matters have taken a truly ludicrous turn. Transfer signings appear to be divided into two roughly equal camps: the Mark Hughes targets, who tend to be British, pragmatic and rather dull and those of the club’s Abu Dhabi-based owners, which seem to be selected with all the discretion and deliberation of a hyperactive toddler let loose in Woolworths’ closing down pic‘n’mix sale. Suffice to say, Eastlands is not the place to be for fans of joined-up thinking.

You have to sympathise with Hughes. Witnessing him discuss the possibility of signing Kaka last week was like watching a garage mechanic lay out his plans for fixing a NASA space station: the lips were moving and the words were flowing, but you still couldn’t shake the impression that here was a man who would much rather be tending to a clapped-out Cortina or, in his case, Blackburn Rovers.

Then again, perhaps Hughes should have anticipated such a madcap scenario before he signed his contract. You don’t buy a ticket for a Sean Penn film and then complain that it’s too earnest: similarly, Hughes should not have aligned himself with Manchester City if he wanted to steer clear of downright craziness. It comes with the territory.

And that, in its own way, is rather reassuring. There is much justified gnashing of teeth over how football has lost its soul in the Premier League era, but the chaos at The Temple of Doom suggests that City’s defining characteristic – their sheer loopiness – has not been diluted by being taken over by businessmen with more money than sense.

It’s a principle that holds true throughout the league. Newcastle, the Big Top of the top flight, have retained their predilection for childish clumsiness despite, or perhaps because of, Mike Ashley’s efforts to impose a very grown-up continental management structure at St James’ Park.

Similarly, Tottenham Hotspur remain stuck on football’s Boulevard of Broken Dreams, despite Daniel Levy’s stated intention to fast-track them back to the glory, glory days.

Football’s new breed of owner is learning the hard way that it takes more than fat wad of cash to transform a club’s culture. Forget Kaka: for the rest of us, Manchester City will always be Coco. And, when everything else in the modern game seems to be up for sale, that is surely something to celebrate.

“Thankfully, and predictably, City are making a complete pig’s ear of their new-found good fortune. On the field, they have been humiliated by the likes of Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup and are still up to their necks in the relegation quicksands despite Saturday’s hugely fortuitous win over Wigan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:24 pm 

Another talking through their hole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:25 pm 

No offence Slart but I stopped reading a couple of parahraphs in. Fair play to the person who first wrote an "amusinh" take on MCFC's transfer targets and future but surely editors can see when their journo's are just copying

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:31 pm 

so to sum it up - we were a laughing stock and should not get idea's above our station, despite being richer than god?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:31 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
so to sum it up - we were a laughing stock and should not get idea's above our station, despite being richer than god?

Pretty much!

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:32 pm 

Fookin Irish are all M*****S anyway so stands to reason :rolleyes:

Funny how all the articles are starting to sound the same...do you think it's just one guy and his typewriter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:33 pm 

thats the point innit?

we are in serious danger of taking the status quo, ripping it into small pieces, burning it and pissing on the ashes

how dare we

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:34 pm 
gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:

And we were lucky against Wigan because despite being the better side and defending manfully with ten men, they missed a sitter. Despite Robbi missing 2 easy chances yada yada yada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:40 pm 

fuck em all. we'll show the bastards, and then they'll be weeping into their keyboards when their beloved united fall beneath our might.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:45 pm 

NoddytheAdlingtonBlue wrote:
No offence Slart but I stopped reading a couple of parahraphs in. Fair play to the person who first wrote an "amusinh" take on MCFC's transfer targets and future but surely editors can see when their journo's are just copying

Didn't read it all the way through myself Tall Benjamin. These articles all blend into one after a while.

John Giles has also written about City recently. However, his articles are along the lines of "Hughes should have full control over the team and transfers and Giles thinks this isn't the case and the Hughes is being treated like a caretaker manager and the owners can spend their money anyway they want." Sounds about right to me. He writes for the Evening Herald.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:07 pm 

Not reading it. I refuse :mad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:32 pm 

I thought this was an STD thread.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:34 pm 

WeegieBlue wrote:
I thought this was an STD thread.....

What - Serious Thinking Discourse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:47 pm 

Quote:
a club which, having been bestowed with a glittering new arena by the local council, decided to name one of the stands after Colin Bell – hence burdening themselves with a “Bell End”.

I use this particular popular-amongst-retards myth as a litmus test. Any journalist who quotes it as an amusing and true anecdote of how City manage to cock up the simplest of tasks doesn't deserve, or get, the time of day. Their opinions become null and void.

These are the cries of the carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:07 pm 

What a tit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:29 pm 

Badger wrote:
What a tit.

couldn't have put it better myself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:34 pm 

slart wrote:
[B] are still up to their necks in the relegation quicksands despite Saturday’s hugely fortuitous win over Wigan.

That's the bit that pisses me off. Anyone else it would be a "courageous" or "battling" win to hold on for a 1-0 win with 10 men but as it's us it's "fortuitous".

Cnut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:36 pm 

Badger wrote:
That's the bit that pisses me off. Anyone else it would be a "courageous" or "battling" win to hold on for a 1-0 win with 10 men but as it's us it's "fortuitous".

Cnut.

*runs around in circles with arm in the air*

Frank, Frank

Badger used a bad word,

card please

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:38 pm 

This is getting ridiculous.

Are we the laughing stock? How can this be the case? I don't understand. What have the press got against us? I am now seriously beginning to think City have done something to the press, this complete attack on City is going way too far. It's malicous...surely somebody inside City has offended the media? I can't see how the failure to sign Kaka would result in such hatred. It's too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:38 pm 

Can we have a "wanker journalists" thread where people post all of the bullshit written about us by bitter little twats in one place?