Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:05 pm 

City fans united in protest
Chris Bailey
2/ 5/2008

CITY'S two major supporters' organisations are ready to crank up the pressure on the increasingly isolated chairman Thaksin Shinawatra.

They have added their voices to the crescendo of criticism that is engulfing the owner's decision to get rid of boss Sven-Goran Eriksson in the summer.

The Centenary Supporters' Association and the Official Supporters' Club have come together to warn the former Thai Prime Minster that his treatment of Eriksson has risked alienating them for good.

And their near 10,000 joint membership will join forces with a rally of support at Eastlands for Eriksson next Saturday, May 10, at which they will urge Shinawatra to take into account the wishes of the vast majority of the supporters and think again about the manager's position.

"We advocate those who give council to advise Thaksin wisely," CSA chairman Alex Channon told MEN Sport. "Sven is the best manager we have had for many years and is the man the supporters trust and feel is the best man in the world for managing City. He cannot be replaced.

"MCFC may be owned by Thaksin but the club belongs to the supporters. The good doctor needs to understand that there is a long standing bond between the club and its fans.

"We give unconditional support and have a culture that cannot be bought at any price. We have welcomed his financial support without too many questions but we are not blind.

"Fan power, when used correctly, is a powerful thing at Manchester City. We pushed Peter Swales out of his chairmanship and more than influenced Francis Lee's departure. If supporters were to be given a choice between Sven and Thaksin I think the support for the owner could be counted on the fingers of one hand! We are grateful to Thaksin for giving us a manager to be proud of but we cannot allow our club to become a foreign billionaire's play thing. We would welcome a sensible working arrangement between the owner, the manager and the supporters.

Click here to visit our Save Sven page

"Manchester City is the heart beat of our proud city and the fans of a true Manchester team, let's keep it that way."

The message is the same from the OSC where general secretary Kevin Parker pointed out that Shinawatra had succeeded in bringing the two fans' organisations closer together than any time since they split in the last century.

"Our argument is not with Manchester City, who we all love, or the people working hard within the club but with one man -Thaksin Shinawatra," pointed out Parker.

"Our 6,000 members fully support the thoughts of the CSA and if any good has come out of the last week it is that we are all closer together. We feel Shinawatra has broken the club's own charter with regard to listening and working with the fans and we will support any lawful and peaceful protests aimed at getting him to back Sven."

Blues fans attending the team's next match at Liverpool on Sunday afternoon intend to continue their campaign of discontent with protest banners that they hope will be captured on live television pictures and beamed to Thailand where they suspect the owner will be watching.

Already an online petition calling for the chairman to think again and let Eriksson continue his successful stint as boss has reached 8,000 names, close to its target of 10,000 and its organisers will not rest until it is presented to Shinawatra.

As reported exclusively in yesterday's MEN Sport the players, too, are backing Eriksson with five of the senior professionals approaching him and offering to sign a letter of protest and organise a possible boycott of the post-season tour to the Far East.

Eriksson persuaded them not to get involved further and show their feelings by winning the last two matches at Anfield and Middlesbrough.

The MEN has received a record response from City fans with more than 6,000 taking part in an online vote where 97 per cent said Sven should be allowed to stay.

Last night around 20 City fans stood out Sven's base at the city centre Radisson Edwardian hotel to show their support for the Swede.

Some chanted Eriksson's name but the mass demonstration, planned on online networking site Facebook, failed to materialise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:07 pm 

Great news, great read, great timing!
Let's not push him out, but lets force him into keeping Sven!

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:16 pm 

I like that. I can't remember a manager having such support from a group of fans, it's fantastic to see. I suppose it won't really save him in the end, but it won't be for the want of trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:28 pm 

I hope everyone on this forum who lives near the stadium gets out there and protests. I may fly over myself and twat Frank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:31 pm 

I have a feeling i'm working next Saturday :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:32 pm 

Fuck next Saturday, I'm getting down there with Spraypaint on Sunday, spraying "I love Sven" on every twisty pillar at the stadium!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:40 pm 

So is it tomorrow down at COMS then? And if so, what time will it be???
I'm guessing it's not tomorrow but the Saturday after...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm 

anyone going? :whistles:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:21 pm 

Benny wrote:
anyone going? :whistles:

I will... well that's if I can get my head around whether 'next Saturday' is tomorrow or the Saturday after the bank holiday... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:30 pm 

ThyGoat wrote:
I will... well that's if I can get my head around whether 'next Saturday' is tomorrow or the Saturday after the bank holiday... :(

I would say the clue is the bit where it says May 10th. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:43 pm 

If i can sort out a swap so i'm not working then i'll be there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:49 pm 

it says we would rather have sven than frank... but sven wouldnt be here if there wasnt a rich chairman to pay his wages and provide him with a transfer kitty. sven's allegiance is to thaksin's cheque book.
i hope we dont bully shinawatra out the club, whilst this decision may not be the right one, it is his money that he is investing and if he feels sven isnt the right person to spend it for him, then that's up to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:53 pm 

Bluewythy wrote:
it says we would rather have sven than frank... but sven wouldnt be here if there wasnt a rich chairman to pay his wages and provide him with a transfer kitty. sven's allegiance is to thaksin's cheque book.
i hope we dont bully shinawatra out the club, whilst this decision may not be the right one, it is his money that he is investing and if he feels sven isnt the right person to spend it for him, then that's up to him.

I agree on many levels, but I'd rather be like we were before Frank came along with his money, surviving in the premiership, but being faithful to managers and actually giving them a chance. I'm probably wrong to say this, but I just feel the club has taken a turn for the worst

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:53 pm 

Bluewythy wrote:

This is OUR club not his. It is unfortunate that he bought all the shares, but don't forget who this club really belongs to. We have an obligation to voice our opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:58 pm 

Seriously gibbi, how short is your memory? Or have you just started watching city this year? Loyal to managers? Are you being serious? I'm genuinely in a bit of disbelief about your comment here. Do you remember what happened before thaksin took over? We sacked pearce in case you forget.

All this anti frank bandwagoning is getting my goat. Slart was very anti him from the outset so fair play, but most other folk were very happy when he put his money in the pot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:02 pm 

and they are branding sven as a victim of disloyalty etc... talking as though sven gave everything up to come to city to save us and has been the sole reason we are going to definately win silverware if he stays. yes i want sven to stay but im not enough of a fool to think sven is at city for any reason other than the fact we were willing to pay him the most money. and also havent forgot about some of the poor tactics he's used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:04 pm 

Benny wrote:
Seriously gibbi, how short is your memory? Or have you just started watching city this year? Loyal to managers? Are you being serious? I'm genuinely in a bit of disbelief about your comment here. Do you remember what happened before thaksin took over? We sacked pearce in case you forget.
All this anti frank bandwagoning is getting my goat. Slart was very anti him from the outset so fair play, but most other folk were very happy when he put his money in the pot.

Do you remember why we sacked him? 10 goals in 19 home games... We had a terrible season where we didn't build on anything. This year we've built, and, expecting Sven to build further next season, we've sacked him. After our best points total in the Premiership ever, we've sacked the manager. It's fuckin ludicrous Benny mate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:06 pm 
Benny wrote:

This pretty much sums up my entire problem with the past weeks posts. Before Frank we had a horrendous problem with sacking managers. 15 or so in a handful of years, so sacking Sven is hardly a change now is it.

Stability? Wouldn't be City.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:07 pm 

I do quite agree with you Benny. The club isn't falling apart, however, if Dr T thinks this is the way to run a club then i do fear the worst. He is completely in the wrong sacking Sven, if it's on football grounds anyway.

I wouldn't go back to the Wardle days. We were nearly out of business at one point, if we'd have been relegated we were done because he used £10m of Sky's money that we got for staying up...before we were guarenteed to be up.

I will want to be there next Saturday, but i haven't developed blinkered vision or become a doom merchant...yet :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:13 pm 

i think fan loyalty is often misplaced. we see the people directly working in the football and support them. but the chairman who is putting in 100s of millions of his own pounds and we turn on them without knowing any of their thinking. not knowing what plans he has, if he has anyone lined up, what has been said in meetings.
i think alienating a man who has put a bit of life into the club for the first time since ive been a city supporter is pathetic and very offensive to him and i just hope he doesnt decide to sod us off and take over another club that will appreciate his money better.