This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:50 pm 

Millions of reasons not to feel sorry for Eriksson

Published Date: 03 June 2008
By Glenn Gibbons
WHATEVER the immediate consequences of Sven-Göran Eriksson's departure from Manchester City yesterday, they will not include the entry of a new, distinctly foreign-sounding name on the register of the local Jobcentre. Multi-millionaires tend to be unfamiliar with the concept of the 'buroo'.
The former England manager's latest flirtation with unemployment may prompt numerous and widely varying reactions, but sympathy will not be among them. Eriksson's five-and-a-half years with the FA alone yielded earnings well in excess of £20million

and would be followed by a lucrative settlement when he was invited to leave – with four years remaining of his contract – after the national team's failure at the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

The arrangement to continue paying him his basic annual salary of £4.5million would, in all likelihood, be terminated by his acceptance of the post at Manchester City, itself an indicator of the probability that his wages at Eastlands would also be sufficient to keep the sheriff's officers from the door.

"Sven remains a friend of the club," said City's chief executive, Alistair Mackintosh, in the statement that announced the Swede's leaving his position "by mutual consent".

With another two years of the agreement he signed only last summer still to run – and, doubtless, commensurate compensation due for collection – nobody need doubt it was an amicable separation.

That obligation, however, is also unlikely to be met if, as reported, Eriksson moves straight from Manchester to Mexico and into the post of manager of the Central American country's national team.

To those whose knowledge of the Swede begins and ends with his eight, largely discredited years in Britain, the ease with which he appears to flit from one enriching appointment to the next may cause puzzlement and even resentment. But even a cursory glance at his achievements before he accepted the inevitably damning job of managing England would explain his reputation and desirability.

Eriksson may not have cradled a precious piece of silverware in his arms since he was approached by the FA in the autumn of 2000, but, for more than two decades previously, he could not have justifiably sued anyone for describing him as a trophy junkie.

During that period, he established a record that was formidable enough to be called staggering.

What distinguished him from most other successful managers from the start of his second career – he was forced by injury to quit as a player at 27 – was his extraordinary youthfulness. Eriksson is now a 60-year-old veteran, but he won his first national cup in Sweden with IFK Gothenburg at 31, his first league championship at 33.

By the time he was 40, an age when most managers are still finding their feet – if not still in search of their first appointment – he had amassed an astonishing four league championships, four national cups and the Uefa Cup (as well as another Uefa Cup final appearance) in two countries, with IFK Gothenburg and Benfica.

It is hardly surprising that, in their quest for a successor to Kevin Keegan, the England hierarchy should be seduced by the achievements of a truly international manager who had, by then, amassed six championships (two with IFK Gothenburg, three with Benfica and one with Lazio), seven national cups (IFK Gothenburg, Benfica, Roma, Sampdoria and Lazio) a Uefa Cup (Gothenburg) and a Cup-Winners' Cup (Lazio), as well as having taken Benfica to the final of the European Cup in 1990.

At all of these clubs, his tenure has been marked by virtually instant success, a feature of his work that seemed likely to be repeated during the first half of his first and only season at Manchester City. Having won their opening nine home league matches (including the first of two victories over fierce local rivals, Manchester United), Eriksson's side briefly led the Premier League and, by the turn of the year, remained in contention for a top-four finish and a place in next season's Champions League.

But their form began to falter after Christmas and, soon after completing the double over United at Old Trafford in February, the City owner, Thaksin Shinawatra (or 'Sinatra', as the club's fans have taken to calling him) made it clear that he was unhappy with the decline.

Before the start of the campaign, the overwhelming majority of supporters would have been delighted had they been told that their team would finish ninth in the league.

This gives rise to the possibility that Eriksson, like mathematicians and theoretical physicists, had produced his optimum work by an age at which most other professionals are still learning.

The honours may have dried up, but the revenue streams are clearly still in spate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:26 pm 

Re sven. Thaskin wants a manager who will commit for years to come. Sven had no intention of staying when his contract was up in 2010 when then he would be 63(I think?). So that meant he would be spending millions etc and then be off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:31 pm 

out of interest, how many years does Thaksin want as a minimum? We knew Sven's age at the time of his appointment, and it must have seemed a reasonable proposition that he would only be around for a handful of years.

These are the cries of the carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:34 pm 

magic mike wrote:
Re sven. Thaskin wants a manager who will commit for years to come. Sven had no intention of staying when his contract was up in 2010 when then he would be 63(I think?). So that meant he would be spending millions etc and then be off.

Around Christmas time Sven said that he wanted to open talks about extending his 3 year contract. Doesn't seem to fit with what you're saying Mike.

End of the day, if a manager is successful at any club, there's always a chance that one of the English or Euro powerhouses will prize him away. It's the way footy is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:39 pm 

ESM wrote:
Around Christmas time Sven said that he wanted to open talks about extending his 3 year contract. Doesn't seem to fit with what you're saying Mike.

End of the day, if a manager is successful at any club, there's always a chance that one of the English or Euro powerhouses will prize him away. It's the way footy is.

Probley to get more money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:45 pm 

shalom-_44@tiscali.co.uk wrote:
Quite true Bastard.Its a bit difficult to explain to my daughter though!.Im [color="Red"]stalybridgeblue[/color] by the way.forgot to edit my details when the forum changed

Ah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:41 pm 

Sven Goran Eriksson will, after all, receive the £500,000 thank-you from Manchester City as reward for taking them back into Europe through the Fair Play League.

City owner Thaksin Shinawatra has overruled a recommendation by his senior aides to contest the payment.

Their qualification for the UEFA Cup after a ninth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League triggered the bonus for Eriksson, whose one-year spell at City was formally ended on Monday.

Scroll down for more

Reasons to be cheerful: Sven has half a million of them

Eriksson's contract was paid up to the tune of around £1.25million, but his legal team reminded the club of his 'right' to the bonus, achieved by unconventional means.

City finished sixth in the Fair Play League but the clubs above them - Tottenham, Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and Everton - had already qualified for European competition next season.

Eriksson, whose appointment as Mexico coach was confirmed yesterday, will watch their friendly against Argentina in San Diego today before again running the rule over his new charges in Sunday's friendly against Peru in Chicago.

Thaksin said: "The deal with Sven is amicable, it is friendly. We've agreed to the bonus because he deserves it. He did take us into Europe.

"We must respect him for that. Now he has a new job and I wish him well. 'Portsmouth go into the UEFA Cup because they won the FA Cup, AC Milan go in for finishing high in Serie A - we will go into the UEFA Cup as the winners of Fair Play!

"I feel OK about this. It offers a new and exciting challenge for the new season."

Some City senior powerbrokers wanted to challenge the pay-off in the courts.

"We have got into Europe because the players tackled fairly," said one.

But Thaksin wants to be seen to be fair with sacked Eriksson and says they "remain friends".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:48 pm 

ooooh, how about the Thomas Cook Trophy vs Mexico?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:38 am 

hmm if frank thinks he and sven will remain friends, id hate to see how he treats his enemies

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:51 am 

Miggs V3 wrote:
hmm if frank thinks he and sven will remain friends, id hate to see how he treats his enemies

Apparently he puts them all in a trucks and forgets about them