Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:33 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:19 pm 

Barna Azul wrote:
Snake bursts after gobbling gator

He said that there had been four known encounters between the two species in the past. In the other cases, the alligator won or the battle was an apparent draw.

How does it end in an apparent draw? Does it go to scorecards or summat?

:confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:31 pm 

but then a man in a hat turns up and alters them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:15 pm 

Just in case anyone was wondering. This is what turns in to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:23 pm 

I didnt actually intend to have that showing, hmmmmmm, waiting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:36 pm 

eejit.

always wondered what happens if they screw that up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:31 pm 

Top five regrets of the dyingA nurse has recorded the most common regrets of the dying, and among the top ones is 'I wish I hadn't worked so hard'. What would your biggest regret be if this was your last day of life?

reddit this Comments (438)
Susie Steiner
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 1 February 2012 11.49 GMT Article history
A palliative nurse has recorded the top five regrets of the dying. Photograph: Montgomery Martin/Alamy
There was no mention of more sex or bungee jumps. A palliative nurse who has counselled the dying in their last days has revealed the most common regrets we have at the end of our lives. And among the top, from men in particular, is 'I wish I hadn't worked so hard'.

Bronnie Ware is an Australian nurse who spent several years working in palliative care, caring for patients in the last 12 weeks of their lives. She recorded their dying epiphanies in a blog called Inspiration and Chai, which gathered so much attention that she put her observations into a book called The Top Five Regrets of the Dying.

Ware writes of the phenomenal clarity of vision that people gain at the end of their lives, and how we might learn from their wisdom. "When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently," she says, "common themes surfaced again and again."

Here are the top five regrets of the dying, as witnessed by Ware:

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

"This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it."

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

"This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence."

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

"Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result."

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

"Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying."

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

"This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again."

What's your greatest regret so far, and what will you set out to achieve or change before you die?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:20 pm 

http://www.skysports.com/fanzone/blogs/ ... 03,00.html

Don't panic Mr Mancini!
City players must hold their nerve

Over the years Manchester City's fans have proven themselves to be unwaveringly loyal, wholeheartedly passionate and consistently pessimistic. While much at the club has altered in recent years, the fans it would appear, haven't yet changed their spots.

Reading forums and messageboards in the past week or so you would be forgiven for thinking that Manchester City were suffering a slump in form and battling the spectre of relegation - certainly not flying on the back of 6 straight wins and firmly positioned on the top of the pile.

Despite City's scintillating form of late, doom and gloom have pervaded many a fan's mind. For while earlier in the season it briefly looked like we might waltz unchallenged to the title, it would seem that Manchester United have ever so rudely refused to meekly surrender.

In fact instead of rolling over, United have matched City blow for blow in recent weeks, with their defeat of Spurs a result that got many a City fan twitching. Suddenly the tricky fixtures in City's run -in loom larger than ever, while United's remaining games resemble a relaxing stroll in the park. Never mind that before the season any one of us would have taken being top at this point of the campaign, the enthusiasm and excitement are starting to fade, replaced by a grimly familiar sense of foreboding.
memory

Fortunately for us, we don't play for Manchester City. While our bottle might be but a distant memory, the players themselves will see it very differently - they are top of the League for a reason. Until this point we have been the best team in the Premier League, and the players will rightly back themselves to beat every team left to face, home or away.

The fans have precisely zero experience of being in this position. The players and the coaching staff on the other hand have been here before - or at least some of them have. Within our ranks we have a World Cup winner, a World Cup finalist, a Champions' League winner and League winners from across Europe, not to mention an FA Cup winner or two.

For them, the Premier League crown would be the latest addition to a glittering trophy cabinet. They're unlikely to be panicking wildly like the fans - instead they will be relishing each game now, looking forward to putting another poor victim to the sword.

The position we are in and the run-in we have left means that one thing is certain. Whoever wins the League now will deserve to do so. There will be no gifts from here on in - the title will not be handed over on a platter.

It's time for us to confirm what we've been thinking all along - that we are the best team in the League. To win it from here City will have to do what we have been doing all season - beat weaker opposition who are more scared of us than we are of them. I don't know about you, but that certainly makes me feel a bit better.

Knob.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:23 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
Top five regrets of the dyingA nurse has recorded the most common regrets of the dying, and among the top ones is 'I wish I hadn't worked so hard'. What would your biggest regret be if this was your last day of life?

reddit this Comments (438)
Susie Steiner
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 1 February 2012 11.49 GMT Article history
A palliative nurse has recorded the top five regrets of the dying. Photograph: Montgomery Martin/Alamy
There was no mention of more sex or bungee jumps. A palliative nurse who has counselled the dying in their last days has revealed the most common regrets we have at the end of our lives. And among the top, from men in particular, is 'I wish I hadn't worked so hard'.

Bronnie Ware is an Australian nurse who spent several years working in palliative care, caring for patients in the last 12 weeks of their lives. She recorded their dying epiphanies in a blog called Inspiration and Chai, which gathered so much attention that she put her observations into a book called The Top Five Regrets of the Dying.

Ware writes of the phenomenal clarity of vision that people gain at the end of their lives, and how we might learn from their wisdom. "When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently," she says, "common themes surfaced again and again."

Here are the top five regrets of the dying, as witnessed by Ware:

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

"This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it."

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

"This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence."

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

"Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result."

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

"Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying."

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

"This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again."

What's your greatest regret so far, and what will you set out to achieve or change before you die?

The point nr 1 is so damn true.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:41 pm 

blue mooner 1988 wrote:
http://www.skysports.com/fanzone/blogs/story/0,,23135_7579703,00.html

Don't panic Mr Mancini!
City players must hold their nerve

Over the years Manchester City's fans have proven themselves to be unwaveringly loyal, wholeheartedly passionate and consistently pessimistic. While much at the club has altered in recent years, the fans it would appear, haven't yet changed their spots.

Reading forums and messageboards in the past week or so you would be forgiven for thinking that Manchester City were suffering a slump in form and battling the spectre of relegation - certainly not flying on the back of 6 straight wins and firmly positioned on the top of the pile.

Despite City's scintillating form of late, doom and gloom have pervaded many a fan's mind. For while earlier in the season it briefly looked like we might waltz unchallenged to the title, it would seem that Manchester United have ever so rudely refused to meekly surrender.

In fact instead of rolling over, United have matched City blow for blow in recent weeks, with their defeat of Spurs a result that got many a City fan twitching. Suddenly the tricky fixtures in City's run -in loom larger than ever, while United's remaining games resemble a relaxing stroll in the park. Never mind that before the season any one of us would have taken being top at this point of the campaign, the enthusiasm and excitement are starting to fade, replaced by a grimly familiar sense of foreboding.
memory

Fortunately for us, we don't play for Manchester City. While our bottle might be but a distant memory, the players themselves will see it very differently - they are top of the League for a reason. Until this point we have been the best team in the Premier League, and the players will rightly back themselves to beat every team left to face, home or away.

The fans have precisely zero experience of being in this position. The players and the coaching staff on the other hand have been here before - or at least some of them have. Within our ranks we have a World Cup winner, a World Cup finalist, a Champions' League winner and League winners from across Europe, not to mention an FA Cup winner or two.

For them, the Premier League crown would be the latest addition to a glittering trophy cabinet. They're unlikely to be panicking wildly like the fans - instead they will be relishing each game now, looking forward to putting another poor victim to the sword.

The position we are in and the run-in we have left means that one thing is certain. Whoever wins the League now will deserve to do so. There will be no gifts from here on in - the title will not be handed over on a platter.

It's time for us to confirm what we've been thinking all along - that we are the best team in the League. To win it from here City will have to do what we have been doing all season - beat weaker opposition who are more scared of us than we are of them. I don't know about you, but that certainly makes me feel a bit better.

Knob.

eh?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:10 pm 

Barbour coats..and all the fucking clones that wear them.... :snooty:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:53 am 

Why all this self-congratulation over duty of care to Fabrice Muamba?Instead of patting itself on the back, the game might consider what on earth was the alternative when Muamba collapsed

Share 69 reddit this Comments (153)

Marina Hyde
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 21 March 2012 23.00 GMT Article history
Fabrice Muamba's horrible misfortune has seen the football family full of collective pride at its reaction. Illustration: Mark McCormick for GNM Imaging
The comedian Chris Rock does a great routine in which he mimics people who congratulate themselves for doing things they're supposed to do anyway. "'I take care of my kids.' You're supposed to take care of your kids! 'I've never been to jail.' What do you want – a cookie? You're not supposed to go to jail, you low-expectations-having motherfucker!"

And so to a week in which the much-vaunted football family has been swift to foreground its civilised response to the horrible misfortune of Fabrice Muamba. A 23-year-old father of one suffers a massive heart attack on the pitch in front of a football crowd, and ever since it has been difficult to avoid those fostering collective pride at the reaction. It has "brought out the best in football"; it has allowed fans to show that there are things "bigger than football"; it has made all manner of people "proud of football".

Even that evening's Match of the Day pundits were noting reverentially the good behaviour of the White Hart Lane crowd, as though watching the fight to save someone's life supportively were the most commendable of things. I wish I couldn't already picture the mawkish segment that will feature in December's Sports Personality of the Year, introduced by Gary Lineker with that terrible, gear-crunching change in tone as he recalls "one week in March that showed how united we really are". Yeah, it was the worst of times, but it was also the best of times. Well done EVERYBODY.

As for "the best" in football, by that is apparently meant basic compassion. Which, if you think about it, seems devastatingly insulting to football. In fact, it's hard to escape the conclusion that to class the general reaction to Muamba's plight as admirable is to make a profound category mistake. When evaluating a person or persons' behaviour, it's surely vital to consider whether they might really have behaved any other way – and if so, what else they might have done.

For instance, of my distant acquaintance – happily – is a woman who is widely held to be quite poisonous, seemingly never more content than when spreading malicious gossip or delighting in the misfortunes of those she calls friends. But it is strange how often it is said in her apparent defence that around 35 years ago she saved a child who was floundering in a swimming pool. To which the only reasonable response is: what on earth was the alternative? Standing four foot away and deciding not to get her clothes wet and carry on enjoying a glass of wine?

This is a "dilemma" football's current self-congratulators might usefully bear in mind. When the alternative action is so monstrous as to be clinically diagnosable as psychopathic, then I can't really go along with those who reckon not succumbing to it is some form of personal and collective triumph.

In the case of the woman of my distant acquaintance, it is quite unthinkable that she would not have hopped into the pool and fished the child out. In the case of Muamba, alas, it is all too thinkable that the classic "few idiots" – or few hundred idiots – could have made some sort of hay out of his near-death distress.

So instead of congratulating itself on its eminently civilised reaction to poor Muamba's suffering, the football family might instead care to wonder to what a pretty pass things have come for a basically humane reaction to be deemed so remarkable. How low does the game have to have sunk before not directing abuse at a player receiving CPR, not chanting something repulsive about his partner, or not ranting that Bolton should have played on with 10 men for the time-wasting is deemed to be a behavioural win?

Yet you can scarcely move for those seeking to emphasise, in ever more impressed tones, how well everyone's done. By doing so they presumably seek to turn a young man's shocking and life-threatening misfortune into something of which we can all be proud. That is questionable enough – and by implication casts football as a place where humane norms disappeared long ago. Looked at another way, this has been quite the opposite of a noble week for football.

The Barça code

Disappointing news, meanwhile, for those who hoped a new dimension had been brought to watching Barcelona play. Earlier this week, a clip purporting to be from Syrian state TV did the rounds. Its claim? That Barça are sending coded messages to Syrian rebels via their tactical formations – most notably in last December's clásico, when they were communicating details of weapon smuggling routes. "A run from Andrés Iniesta is said to portray the first part of the route," ran Yahoo's take on the video, "while the end of the move, where Messi passes the ball, indicates the successful handover of the shipment."

Not unpredictably, perhaps, the video has since been ruled a hoax. Some may already feel that 90 minutes watching Lionel and friends threatens to bring on Stendhal syndrome, which sees the sufferer almost faint at a concentration of beauty in one place. But bravo to the hoaxers for exposing other people's willingness to believe the theory was the work of Assad's cheerleaders. Clearly the new benchmark for despotic madness is claiming there is even more to Barcelona than meets the eye.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:07 am 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
Why all this self-congratulation over duty of care to Fabrice Muamba?Instead of patting itself on the back, the game might consider what on earth was the alternative when Muamba collapsed

Share 69 reddit this Comments (153)

Marina Hyde
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 21 March 2012 23.00 GMT Article history
Fabrice Muamba's horrible misfortune has seen the football family full of collective pride at its reaction. Illustration: Mark McCormick for GNM Imaging
The comedian Chris Rock does a great routine in which he mimics people who congratulate themselves for doing things they're supposed to do anyway. "'I take care of my kids.' You're supposed to take care of your kids! 'I've never been to jail.' What do you want – a cookie? You're not supposed to go to jail, you low-expectations-having motherfucker!"

And so to a week in which the much-vaunted football family has been swift to foreground its civilised response to the horrible misfortune of Fabrice Muamba. A 23-year-old father of one suffers a massive heart attack on the pitch in front of a football crowd, and ever since it has been difficult to avoid those fostering collective pride at the reaction. It has "brought out the best in football"; it has allowed fans to show that there are things "bigger than football"; it has made all manner of people "proud of football".

Even that evening's Match of the Day pundits were noting reverentially the good behaviour of the White Hart Lane crowd, as though watching the fight to save someone's life supportively were the most commendable of things. I wish I couldn't already picture the mawkish segment that will feature in December's Sports Personality of the Year, introduced by Gary Lineker with that terrible, gear-crunching change in tone as he recalls "one week in March that showed how united we really are". Yeah, it was the worst of times, but it was also the best of times. Well done EVERYBODY.

As for "the best" in football, by that is apparently meant basic compassion. Which, if you think about it, seems devastatingly insulting to football. In fact, it's hard to escape the conclusion that to class the general reaction to Muamba's plight as admirable is to make a profound category mistake. When evaluating a person or persons' behaviour, it's surely vital to consider whether they might really have behaved any other way – and if so, what else they might have done.

For instance, of my distant acquaintance – happily – is a woman who is widely held to be quite poisonous, seemingly never more content than when spreading malicious gossip or delighting in the misfortunes of those she calls friends. But it is strange how often it is said in her apparent defence that around 35 years ago she saved a child who was floundering in a swimming pool. To which the only reasonable response is: what on earth was the alternative? Standing four foot away and deciding not to get her clothes wet and carry on enjoying a glass of wine?

This is a "dilemma" football's current self-congratulators might usefully bear in mind. When the alternative action is so monstrous as to be clinically diagnosable as psychopathic, then I can't really go along with those who reckon not succumbing to it is some form of personal and collective triumph.

In the case of the woman of my distant acquaintance, it is quite unthinkable that she would not have hopped into the pool and fished the child out. In the case of Muamba, alas, it is all too thinkable that the classic "few idiots" – or few hundred idiots – could have made some sort of hay out of his near-death distress.

So instead of congratulating itself on its eminently civilised reaction to poor Muamba's suffering, the football family might instead care to wonder to what a pretty pass things have come for a basically humane reaction to be deemed so remarkable. How low does the game have to have sunk before not directing abuse at a player receiving CPR, not chanting something repulsive about his partner, or not ranting that Bolton should have played on with 10 men for the time-wasting is deemed to be a behavioural win?

Yet you can scarcely move for those seeking to emphasise, in ever more impressed tones, how well everyone's done. By doing so they presumably seek to turn a young man's shocking and life-threatening misfortune into something of which we can all be proud. That is questionable enough – and by implication casts football as a place where humane norms disappeared long ago. Looked at another way, this has been quite the opposite of a noble week for football.

The Barça code

Disappointing news, meanwhile, for those who hoped a new dimension had been brought to watching Barcelona play. Earlier this week, a clip purporting to be from Syrian state TV did the rounds. Its claim? That Barça are sending coded messages to Syrian rebels via their tactical formations – most notably in last December's clásico, when they were communicating details of weapon smuggling routes. "A run from Andrés Iniesta is said to portray the first part of the route," ran Yahoo's take on the video, "while the end of the move, where Messi passes the ball, indicates the successful handover of the shipment."

Not unpredictably, perhaps, the video has since been ruled a hoax. Some may already feel that 90 minutes watching Lionel and friends threatens to bring on Stendhal syndrome, which sees the sufferer almost faint at a concentration of beauty in one place. But bravo to the hoaxers for exposing other people's willingness to believe the theory was the work of Assad's cheerleaders. Clearly the new benchmark for despotic madness is claiming there is even more to Barcelona than meets the eye.

I read that article - she has a point in that there does seem to have been a glorification of the response of the public when frankly that's the only reasonable response, but that isn't to say that the response isn't still worth commenting on. It's nice to see the collective good nature of the public as often that is something which gets lost in the flurry of bemoaning chavs and benefit frauds and rich people and whoever else. Something like this, where pretty much everyone agrees to be nice, serves as a reminder that the world and the people that inhabit it are generally not nearly as c*ntish as people would like to think. It's a shame that it takes someone's death or near-death to drag out the population's general good nature but it's worth appreciating when we do see it.

Undoubtedly the whole affair has now been somewhat overdone; the repeated use of the minute's applause seems (in my opinion) jarringly out-of-place considering it's usually seen when someone has died, not when they've been hospitalised - still, there is certainly some virtue in the whole circus.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:14 am 

He did die. He was just brought back to life. Love the story about some guy in the stands screaming "I'm a cardiologist!" and running onto the pitch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:14 am 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:48 pm 

NoddytheAdlingtonBlue wrote:
He did die. He was just brought back to life. Love the story about some guy in the stands screaming "I'm a cardiologist!" and running onto the pitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG16jv-itYw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1   

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:18 am 

Got my Christmas dinner ready for the oven already.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:07 am 

Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:

what the... :scared-eek:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:14 am 

Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:

I've got mine sorted too:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1593632_sick-butcher-thieves-cut-legs-off-10-live-sheep-on-farm-in-cheadle-hulme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:29 pm 

kippax_in_my_blood wrote:
Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:

what the... :scared-eek:

take it you've never watched epic mealtimes on youtube?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115  Next