Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 115  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:34 am 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
Unfortunately not, that would have been glorious.

With hindsight I couldn't have chosen a better place to go off the rails, I mean they had a life size fucking picture of my friend in the kitchen. They were asking for it. The dad has a PHD in astrophysics or astrobiology or something which he apparently used as an excuse to say to people in the morning "Drink some water, I'm a doctor so I know it'll help"

He knows his stuff tbf
Why would they have a life sized pic? That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard of, that would just freak me out. Were they... you know into him?

Quote:
The world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and love everyone. Try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go. And so I became a waiter ... Well, it's not much of a philosophy I know ... but well ... fuck you! I can live my own life in my own way if I want to! Fuck off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:36 am 

Micahrichardsatemybaby wrote:
He knows his stuff tbf
Why would they have a life sized pic? That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard of, that would just freak me out. Were they... you know into him?

I meant his parents had a life size picture of him in the kitchen. I thought it was just put up for his birthday but no, apparently it's there all the time which goes some way to explaining why he's such an arrogant narcissist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:42 am 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
I meant his parents had a life size picture of him in the kitchen. I thought it was just put up for his birthday but no, apparently it's there all the time which goes some way to explaining why he's such an arrogant narcissist.

No I knew what you meant, but what is the rationale behind that decision? Is he running for some post within their house? Is it promotion?
That's seriously unhinged

I hope you vandalized it

Quote:
The world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and love everyone. Try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go. And so I became a waiter ... Well, it's not much of a philosophy I know ... but well ... fuck you! I can live my own life in my own way if I want to! Fuck off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:51 am 

No I knew what you meant, but what is the rationale behind that decision? Is he running for some post within their house? Is it promotion?
That's seriously unhinged

I hope you vandalized it

If I was thinking more clearly I would have vomited all over it rather than in the street but alas, my senses weren't with me.

I really don't think there is any rationale. They're just really up his arse. It's probably there to say 'look at our darling wonderful son that we created' and then bask in the reflected glory. They gave a birthday speech and went on and on about how proud they were of their amazing son, everyone in the crowd had a collective :rolleyes: moment. Apparently while I was busy being a drunk twat upstairs, the mother sat with my girlfriend and tried to talk her into dumping me and going out with her son instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:57 am 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
If I was thinking more clearly I would have vomited all over it rather than in the street but alas, my senses weren't with me.

I really don't think there is any rationale. They're just really up his arse. It's probably there to say 'look at our darling wonderful son that we created' and then bask in the reflected glory. They gave a birthday speech and went on and on about how proud they were of their amazing son, everyone in the crowd had a collective :rolleyes: moment. Apparently while I was busy being a drunk twat upstairs, the mother sat with my girlfriend and tried to talk her into dumping me and going out with her son instead.

The mother has some odd kind of Oedipus complex for the son. Society's refusal to accept her worldview has led her to try and live vicariously through any other women she feels he could attract hence her trying to get your gf to jump him so she can watch through the camcorders she hides in her unwitting son's bedroom.
However your girlfriend is not a moron and the mum's search to sate her twisted longing goes on.

I'm tired so that may not make much sense but it's spot on

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:59 am 

What a twisted yet beautiful theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:01 am 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
What a twisted yet beautiful theory.

yet CORRECT :D

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:04 am 

The more I think about it the more it makes sense.

The first time I met his mum, I was sat on a desk with him for some school open day thingy trying to persuade GCSE students to do Art for AS level and his mum went through my pink pig and found some sketches I'd drawn of her son and started absolutely gushing over them and how I'd captured his looks perfectly or some shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:09 am 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
The more I think about it the more it makes sense.

The first time I met his mum, I was sat on a desk with him for some school open day thingy trying to persuade GCSE students to do Art for AS level and his mum went through my pink pig and found some sketches I'd drawn of her son and started absolutely gushing over them and how I'd captured his looks perfectly or some shit.

She's gay for him, she'd kill her husband to ride him for ten seconds.
In fact he's probably the same

Watch out for that family, they'll be in the papers someday

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:40 pm 

Great post re: are we signing mercenaries?

I work for a living. I do this, because the alternative is uncomfortable. If somebody offers me more money to do what I do than my current employers, other things being equal I would be inclined to accept their offer, because I want the things that money can buy.

Okay, so football is different from other jobs. There are other considerations - silverware, the Champions League. ADUG's aims are not secret. They want us to win pots, they want us in the CL. Oh, I know they want all kinds of brandy, markety stuff that I'm not terribly interested in, but in order to achieve those aims, they need us to win the pots and be in the CL.

That's quite a difficult thing to do, because the top 4 teams in this country currently have, well, the 4 best teams - and squads; and in order to compete with them we need a team, and squad, as good as theirs. They know this, we know this. So we need to attract good players. You can go a long way, I'm sure, in building a team with the likes of Gareth Barry, but if we attract all the available players who could be playing for a top 5 or top 6 team, they are likely to take us to 5th or 6th. Which would be nice, and would frankly do me very nicely next season, and will probably do ADUG too, but we will still be in a position where we need to take a step forward, and it's a big step up, as Spurs, Everton and Villa have discovered.

We need to attract CL quality players, if not this summer, next. Most CL quality players play for teams that already qualify for the CL. We can't offer CL football, and we won't be able to offer them that unless we can attract players like them in the first place. Vicious circle. So, if we can't offer CL football, what can we offer? We can try to sell the dream - get in at the ground floor, and be part of the project, feel like you've really achieved, feel like you've really made a difference. The kind of thing that Tevez allegedly said he wants (if he said it, if he meant it). Or, we can offer to pay them lots of money, and tell them that there will be other players like them, and that we will get into the CL, and for the year or two that it takes us to get there, well, you'll have much more money than you will if you stay where you are.

Simples.

The alternative is that we never actually get any further than a UEFA Cup place and the odd pot, which might satisfy some of us but will not satisfy ADUG, who've put enormous amounts of ding into City already. The purists might object, and I understand their discomfort, but that's the world we live in. I would love to go back to the old days, and have waxed lyrical about them often here, but it simply isn't possible to get into and stay in the top 4 without getting in some top players, and if we want to get in top players, we have to pay them top ding to get them to come. And I have to say, I don't really have a big problem with somebody taking money to do a job, provided that they do the job to the best of their ability. What I would have a problem with is if we began to emulate some of those qualities which I despise in the scum, the arrogance of their manager and fans, the preening and cheating of the likes of Ronaldo, their ignorant, numpty, glory-seeking "fans" whose only point of contact with the club is to buy merchandise. Mind you, if ADUG have their way, we'll probably attract some of the latter.

According to the offish site. we have record season ticket sales. Some of them may be glory hunters, if you like, only buying tickets in the hope of watching players like Eto'o'o'o and Tevez - and Robinho. Some of them might be glory hunters, if you like, only buying tickets in the hope of seeing City win pots and get in the CL. Actually, I think I'd quite like to watch players like Eto'o'o'o and Tevez - and Robinho. And I think I'd quite like to see City win pots and get in the CL. But that's okay, I can't be a glory hunter because I already had my ticket.

But whether they are glory hunters or bandwagon jumpers or whatever you want to call them, I think most of them are from Manchester, not Malaysia. And I strongly suspect that most of them already follow City, they just haven't been attending, perhaps because they didn't enjoy what they saw when they did. Not every City fan is prepared to turn up to watch shite - I do, many of you do, and we're perversely proud of it, and we'll appreciate it far more when we do achieve something because we'll have a basis for comparison, but I'm not going to condemn somebody who has always followed City and only now, when it looks like we're going to be worth watching, is prepared to make an investment.

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:07 pm 

Top ding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:57 pm 

ADUG is worth around £550bn (£530bn a year ago, and plenty of petrol still being consumed). That is £550,000,000,000. John Terry might cost say £45,000,000, or 0.008% of their net worth.

To put this into context, an average salary of Bluemooners might be £30,000. The equivalent John Terry cost for one of us is £2.45 per year. That's about the price of a pint.

Ronaldo = £4.36 to ADUG.
Kaka = £3.05.
Robinho = £1.75.
RSC = 93 pence.
Barry = 65 pence.

The whole of United and Liverpool's debt would be less than £50.
Pay Eto'o's £12m loyalty bonus to smooth the move from Barcelona - 65 pence.

Nigel De Jong cost less than a pound. People ridiculed City for not waiting until now, and we could have had him much cheaper. But what does it matter. Money is no object.

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:46 am 
ADUG is worth around £550bn (£530bn a year ago, and plenty of petrol still being consumed). That is £550,000,000,000. John Terry might cost say £45,000,000, or 0.008% of their net worth.

To put this into context, an average salary of Bluemooners might be £30,000. The equivalent John Terry cost for one of us is £2.45 per year. That's about the price of a pint.

Ronaldo = £4.36 to ADUG.
Kaka = £3.05.
Robinho = £1.75.
RSC = 93 pence.
Barry = 65 pence.

Nigel De Jong cost less than a pound. People ridiculed City for not waiting until now, and we could have had him much cheaper. But what does it matter. Money is no object.

This is a brilliant post and as such, deserved no little adulation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:47 am 

Can I put my girlfriend in this thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:48 am 

Emigre wrote:
This is a brilliant post and as such, deserved no little adulation.

Yeah obviously we're not entitled to all the money but the point still stands

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:49 am 

Ronaldo = £4.36 to ADUG.
Kaka = £3.05.
Robinho = £1.75.
RSC = 93 pence.
Barry = 65 pence.

*Doffs*

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:50 am 

hogeymack wrote:
Can I put my girlfriend in this thread?

No but you can put her on my face.
Up for some wife swap hogey? I have a bertha here that has low miles.

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:51 am 

Another pic of glauber!!

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:29 am 

Good article

Quote:
So, now that Wimbledon's over, the whole country can remember that they never really liked Andy Murray anyway and that he was never realistically going to win it, and we can get back to the proper order of the day: Football.

The trouble is, not a lot happens during the close season that we can get excited about. Well, not unless you're a Manchester City fan, anyway. And even then, I wouldn't say I was excited. More...angry.

In true ‘just after Wimbledon' style, me and a few friends played tennis on Monday - it's fair to say that, while we all might have more of a personality than he does, Andy Murray is a bit better than we are. But only a bit - after all, one of us managed not to double fault for a whole game.

Anyway, while I was picking everyone up the radio was on and the discussion on the station I was listening to - and it would be unprofessional of me to give away their name on the internet: the last thing I want to do is libel them, but let's just say they're a talk station and the subject is mainly sport - was of John Terry transferring to Manchester City. Of course, it would be an excellent move for City, but would Mr. Chelsea himself ever decide to leave his club? More than likely, no.

As a talking point, you can't fault it - Chelsea fans will spend their cash ringing in and complaining about City continuing to pursue a target, while City fans will spend their money phoning up arguing that it's the club's right. It's a very clever money making scheme this unnamed sporting talk radio station uses: say something controversial and get people's opinions on it for high rates.

But here's the thing - the transfer of Terry isn't particularly controversial. I doubt there's one City fan alive who wouldn't be surprised if it happened. It'd certainly surprise this one. City's bids haven't been controversial to say the least - cheeky, yes; audacious, most definitely; controversial, not really.

You see, my gripe is that a lot of the pundits on such radio shows suggest that players are moving to City for the money. Whether or not this is true can only be determined by one person - the player himself - so it's a bit of a pointless debate to be having. But what irks me most about this line of argument is not the suggestion that all those moving to City are mercenaries, but that they're moving to a club with no history who just happen to have got a bit of money.

City are a brilliant club. Those of you suggesting the club has no history; I'd point you in the direction of this link. Just because we have won no major honours in the last three decades does not indicate a lack of history. Hadrian's Wall hasn't been up to much lately, but it's certainly got something significant going on in its past.

City have been league champions. City have won cups. Ok, it's not as many as some other clubs, but the sole reason why the four at the top of the Premiership keep finishing there is the fact that there has been so much money available to them since BSkyB wanted a bit of the football cake.

It's a vicious circle - you qualify for the Champions League and get a ton of cash, so you can buy players to qualify for the Champions League. Everyone else has to feed off the scraps that are left, but that's ok because the top four can keep qualifying for the Champions League.

Up until 2007, City had a pittance to spend. If they spent it wrong, as they usually did - see Samaras - then there isn't a stream of funds available to correct the error. For years the top four have had this ability that nobody else has. It's not City's fault that transfer fees are as high as they are for mediocre players, it's those that have gone before them; yet that won't stop radio stations, TV networks and the print media telling us we're offering stupid money.

Debating the morality of City's transfer bids, but not doing so for any other team in the past - AC Milan have smashed the world record transfer fee more than any other club and they've been propped up Abramovich-style for years, the English transfer record has been smashed by Manchester United on, no less, Andy Cole, Juan Sebastian Veron and Rio Ferdinand, but that's ok - after all, United got lucky and won the Premiership at the right time to reap the massive Sky based rewards with a youth team they were fortunate graduated at once (incidentally, I don't see that much coming out of their youth policy since).

City can bid high money for John Terry. There's nothing wrong with them doing it and if Chelsea accept the bid, then it's up to Terry to choose. If Chelsea or he refuses, then it won't happen. Simple, really, but that won't stop people making it much more complicated than it is.

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:41 am 

Quote:
the last thing I want to do is libel them, but let's just say they're a talk station and the subject is mainly sport

:D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 115  Next