Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Player Quota's
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:13 am 

So how do you think this would effect us and the EPL as a whole? Would it bring the quality of football down?, would it make for a more even competition?

As an idea I think it's good, but in practice I can see problems. Foreign players brought in for huge sums could see their value plummit. Clubs like City, West Ham, Villa etc who have a good track record for bring through young English talent could end up just being feeder clubs to big four.

Also as a side issue, how would FIFA get round the EU freedom of employment laws?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:15 am 

ESM wrote:
So how do you think this would effect us and the EPL as a whole? Would it bring the quality of football down?, would it make for a more even competition?

As an idea I think it's good, but in practice I can see problems. Foreign players brought in for huge sums could see their value plummit. Clubs like City, West Ham, Villa etc who have a good track record for bring through young English talent could end up just being feeder clubs to big four.

[color="Red"]Also as a side issue, how would FIFA get round the EU freedom of employment laws[/color]?

The same way they get around numerous others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:18 am 

Badger wrote:
The same way they get around numerous others?

The EU chappy in charge of employment said they would oppose the plan, but do they have the powers to do anything about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:20 am 

It's not really been thought through properly. English players are already vastly overpriced, and it would only get worse if this was brought in. We'd end up with the top few clubs hogging all the English talent (who wouldn't all play regularly, to the detriment of the national team). The lower clubs would end up bringing in sub-standard English players just to make up the quotas. Of course, clubs with good Academies would do alright, but how long would a good English player stay with them before being snapped up by the moneybags clubs?

These are the cries of the carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:21 am 

I was listening to Radio4 this morning. A bloke from the EU said Blatters plans would not be allowed. However, a UEFA plan about home grown players would be ok.

This would mean that Stephen Ireland, Ched Evens who are not English but "home grown" as they signed with City as teenagers and have stayed with the club for years would be allowed play.

I don't care where City players come from. I just want to see the best players we can sign or bring through the ranks.