Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:21 am 

save me jeebus wrote:
I think he inherited what was already a good team. Added to by the club. I say by the club because you never really know who's behind the signings a Barca. And in the last couple of seasons the performances have got steadily worse.

Yep, they declined into a shocking third place finish (or was it second?) and a narrow defeat in the champions league semi-final. Tragic. Boo and hiss at the idea that a manager with such a poor record could be appointed by a club who finished ninth in the premier league.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:04 pm 

Zicos name has cropped up today,who has he been manager of???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:08 pm 

Brazilian legend Zico is a new candidate to take over from Sven-Goran Eriksson when he is sacked by Manchester City.
The Fenerbahce boss, 55, is waiting to hear from a club in one of the top European leagues after telling the Turkish giants he will not be renewing his deal with them when it runs out at the end of the month.

City owner Thaksin Shinawatra's advisors are trying to lure Zico to Eastlands as the imminent replacement for Eriksson, who is expecting to be sacked tomorrow.
The appointment of Brazilian coach Roberto Carlos de Carvalho as the club's international youth development chief could be a clue because he has strong links to Zico.
The mercurial ex-Brazil number 10 led Fenerbahce to the Turkish Super League title and Super Cup double in his first season in charge and then took them into the Champions League last eight last term, where they were narrowly beaten by Chelsea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:21 pm 

Never really seen fenerbahce play so i don't know about his tactics or what style he plays, Fair do's to him though he won the league and super cup and what have you but how much does he know about the English league????Could be a risky appointment if it happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:22 pm 

shimmer will have a fair idea, where are ya mate? tetris no doubt.....

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:23 pm 

They were shit when he took over them. Also he has soccer schools in brazil :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:26 pm 

looking at the stats he is a very attack orienated coach.

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:28 pm 

Yeah played some lovly stuff, unlucky to lose to chelski. They lost the league before he arrived, then won the league and super cup. Brazilian connections would be great if he signed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:29 pm 

i see they won alot of high scoring games a 5-5 draw aswell as a couple of 5-nil wins seems like entertaining footy, return of the keegan style of coaching hopefully a bit better defense though

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:30 pm 

Zico = Ronaldinho to join Geovanni and Elano. He would play all three with his style. Just like Ali and Berkoviv, entertainment is what its all about, and 2 fucking strikers woooooooooooo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:31 pm 

the 2 strikers is whats exciting me at the moment,

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:34 pm 

Bojinov and Jo would be great or Benji and Boji (sounds like some childrens programme)

zico Jo Geovanni Elano and Ronaldinho = wanks stations at the ready men!

*lives the dream*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:39 pm 

might have to change my name to miggsdinho or sumthin

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:52 pm 

Miggs V3 wrote:
might have to change my name to miggsdinho or sumthin

Miggsinov!? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:10 pm 

bigdavecox90 wrote:
Miggsinov!? ;)

Miggsinovho. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:49 am 

Well let's face it, we're behind Chelsea, Barcelona and Inter in the pecking order, since all three are after a new manager. Possible Milan too, if Chelsea get Carlo Ancelotti.

My first choice would be Mancini (well actually, my first choice would be Sven, but that's not happening). We'd be insane not to go for him. He's only 43, and in 7 years of management, he's won 8 trophies, including 3 Serie A titles. Surely that makes him the best young manager in the world? Plus his son already plays for us on loan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:31 am 

yeah mancini would be 1st choice but it wont happen, probably end up with coleman or some other shit manager, whats david oleary doin these days?

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:35 pm 

ESM wrote:
Not one of those on the list have the same or better track record than Sven at club level.

and what exactly does Sven's track record at club level have so impressive if you don't mind me asking? just curious.. IMHO, Sven is one of the most overpaid managers in the world, especially for a manager who has never won a league championship, yet is paid higher than Carlo Ancelotti of AC Milan, who has won 3 Serie A championships, 2 CLs, and runners up in a 3rd CL final. No offense, just makes me curious.

Of the candidates, 2 Brasilian men shine for knowledge of international and continental football as well as good potential for attracting lots of Brasilian talent: Scolari and Zico. In between the two, Scolari has a longer track of coaching record, yet he has no coaching experience at club level in any European side ever.

Zico, however, has coached in Turkey for 2 years at club level, hardly any credible level of work of course, won a league championship there and a supercup in his first year. In his second year, he made it to the quarter finals of the Champions League not with a Portugese or Spanish or German but a Turkish team, which IMO shows some credibility.

They only had a 35 year old Roberto Carlos in squad that could be listed as an internationally known star, but 6 other Brasilians lesser known in Europe, some never played at such tournament level. In group stage they beat Inter, CSKA Moskow and PSV Eindhoven in all home games and drew in away games, lost only to Inter away. In knockout stage they knocked out 2 times back-to-back UEFA Cup winners FC Sevilla with a squad valued 1/5th of Sevilla's on paper. In quarter finals, they beat Chelski in Turkey 2-1 and lost 2-0 in return leg in London, and again on paper, the price value of their team was 1/10th of Chelski but they played some good footy. (in fact, they were the only team to beat Chelski in that tournament in open play)

If he were given a season or two in the Premiership, imagine what he could pull off with players like Jo, Ronaldinho (IF he actually moves to City, which doesn't sound very realistic but you'll never know), and other possible Brasilian recruits in the shape of fresh talents and experienced players.. Zico is almost worshipped in Brasil by footballers of Ronaldinho's generation. He's hailed as a role model and a hero, and widely respected in Brasil because of his past player status, and also his past service as ministry of sport in Brasil.

He's also very much respected in European Football monarch as he played during the era of Platini and the likes, and played in Serie A against such players as opponent, with whom he's still good friends today.

Players like Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Rijkaard, Capello, Klinsmann, and now Van Basten all started their reigns as managers on top and did fairly good to excellent.

Why not Zico? He helped Japan qualify to World Cup for the first time since god knows when (other than being the host nation which needs no qualification), then carried some Turkish team with no European record in their history to the quarter finals of the Champions League..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:46 pm 

cos Zicos won less has a manager than Sven

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:50 pm 

robobobo wrote:
and what exactly does Sven's track record at club level have so impressive if you don't mind me asking? just curious....

[edit] Club managerial honours
IFK Göteborg

Svenska Cupen Winners 1979, 1982
Allsvenskan Champions 1981, 1982
UEFA Cup Winners 1982
S.L. Benfica
Portuguese Liga Champions 1983, 1984, 1991
Cup of Portugal Winners 1983
SuperCup Cândido de Oliveira Champions 1989
European Cup Runners Up 1990
UEFA Cup Runners Up 1983
A.S. Roma
Coppa Italia Winners 1986
U.C. Sampdoria
Coppa Italia Winners 1994
S.S. Lazio
Coppa Italia Winners 1998, 2000
Italian Super Cup Winners 1998, 2000
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Winners 1999
UEFA Super Cup Winners 1999
Serie A Champions 2000

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next