U.C. Sampdoria
Coppa Italia Winners 1994
S.S. Lazio
Coppa Italia Winners 1998, 2000
Italian Super Cup Winners 1998, 2000
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Winners 1999
UEFA Super Cup Winners 1999
Serie A Champions 2000

Well, Sven is gone already regardless, so my argument was not to fire him for either Scolari or Zico.

Also, i was talking about his record in England, both with England team and the City. Him winning in Italy and Portugal in the 90's did nothing for England and City as he won nothing with them yet he was paid more than the likes of Mancini, Arsene Wenger, Carlo Ancelotti, Ottmar Hitzfeld, and I believe even Benitez. Does his UEFA cup winners' cup wins in 1999-2000 eclipse any of the managers' achievements I just mentioned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:01 pm 

Could have won the Euro Champs and World Cup with England if our players had pulled their fingers out too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:05 pm 

robobobo wrote:
Well, Sven is gone already regardless, so my argument was not to fire him for either Scolari or Zico.

Also, i was talking about his record in England, both with England team and the City. Him winning in Italy and Portugal in the 90's did nothing for England and City as he won nothing with them yet he was paid more than the likes of Mancini, Arsene Wenger, Carlo Ancelotti, Ottmar Hitzfeld, and I believe even Benitez. Does his UEFA cup winners' cup wins in 1999-2000 eclipse any of the managers I just mentioned?

He has one of the best managerial records in Europe hence he can attract a huge salary. Yes he's won nothing for an English club but by your arguement neither has Mancini. I don't really get the point you're trying to put across.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:09 pm 

robobobo wrote:

Also, i was talking about his record in England, both with England team and the City. Him winning in Italy and Portugal in the 90's did nothing for England and City as he won nothing with them yet he was paid more by the CIty than the likes of Mancini, Arsene Wenger, Carlo Ancelotti, Ottmar Hitzfeld, and I believe even Benitez by their respective clubs. Does his UEFA cup winners' cup wins in 1999-2000 eclipse any of the managers' achievements I just mentioned?

Sven's record at club level is excellent. He is the most successful manager to come to our club. He has won more trophies than most managers workin in Europe today. You can't question his cv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:12 pm 

If I remember right Sven is the 6th most successful europian club manager of all time. That makes him preety good in my book. Robobobo is a rag wum if you ask me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:22 pm 

save me jeebus wrote:
If I remember right Sven is the 6th most successful europian club manager of all time. That makes him preety good in my book. Robobobo is a rag wum if you ask me.

And the second most successful England manager after Sir Alf. Maybe if he'd been English and failed to win owt ala Bobby Robson he'd have been knighted too........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:01 pm 

Badger wrote:
He has one of the best managerial records in Europe hence he can attract a huge salary. Yes he's won nothing for an English club but by your arguement neither has Mancini. I don't really get the point you're trying to put across.

right on Mancini, cross him out. IMO winning Serie A 3xback to back is a far more impressive feat than Italian Cup where top serie A teams don't care to field A teams, or winning Portugese League, but again not so impressive when their first trophy was stripped off of Juventus as he won 2 of those trophies with Juventus in Serie B and Milan starting the season with points deducted.. Also you are right, Sven just has way more in quantity to eclipse his 3 domestic championships.

Other than that, without disrespect to anyone, my assessment of accomplishments were based more in quality than quantity. If you think winning portugese league championships and italian cups are same difference with winning championships like the Premier League, Serie A, Liga and so forth, than you are right. In my opinion, their quantity does not surpass the quality and difficulty level of the latter.

Still, there was no reason to try to insult me for an argument I was making on quality of championships won by respective managers when comparing the salaries thet were paid, since I have not made any personal remarks on anyone here. (which goes for jeebus)

None of Sven's past accomplishments, for example, come nowhere near some other coach like Ancelotti, Lippi, Hitzfield who might have less diversified national league championship and cup wins, but significantly more difficult and more priced championships like Serie A Championships, World Cups, Champions League championships than Portugese League championships, Italian Cup, and cup winners cup.

Of course this comparison in no way discredits Sven's accomplishments as a coach.. However, it doesn't justify his massive salary over those coaches either, especially in the past 6 years where Sven produced nothing with his top notch salary as others were busy winning silverware including Champions League (Ancelotti, Benitez) and world cup (Lippi), all with salaries under Sven's.

I'm not trying to take any legacy from Sven. I'm simply looking at possible reasons for the Club deciding to let him go from a different perspective, where they might also feel his salary and maintenance costs weren't justifying his output.

Late edit: future commitment issues might also be another reason, alongside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:12 pm 

robobobo wrote:
right on Mancini, cross him out. IMO winning Serie A 3xback to back is a far more impressive feat than Italian Cup where top serie A teams don't care to field A teams, or winning Portugese League, but again not so impressive when their first trophy was stripped off of Juventus as he won 2 of those trophies with Juventus in Serie B and Milan starting the season with points deducted.. Also you are right, Sven just has way more in quantity to eclipse his 3 domestic championships.

Other than that, without disrespect to anyone, my assessment of accomplishments were based more in quality than quantity. If you think winning portugese league championships and italian cups are same difference with winning championships like the Premier League, Serie A, Liga and so forth, than you are right. In my opinion, their quantity does not surpass the quality and difficulty level of the latter.

Still, there was no reason to try to insult me for an argument I was making on quality of championships won by respective managers when comparing the salaries thet were paid, since I have not made any personal remarks on anyone here. (which goes for jeebus)

None of Sven's past accomplishments, for example, come nowhere near some other coach like Ancelotti, Lippi, Hitzfield who might have less diversified national league championship and cup wins, but significantly more difficult and more priced championships like Serie A Championships, World Cups, Champions League championships than Portugese League championships, Italian Cup, and cup winners cup.

Of course this comparison in no way discredits Sven's accomplishments as a coach.. However, it doesn't justify his massive salary over those coaches either, especially in the past 6 years where Sven produced nothing with his top notch salary as others were busy winning silverware including Champions League (Ancelotti, Benitez) and world cup (Lippi), all with salaries under Sven's.

I'm not trying to take any legacy from Sven. I'm simply looking at reasons of the Club deciding to let him go from a different perspective, where they might also feel his salary and maintenance costs weren't justifying his output.

So by your reckoning Kenny Dalglish is a better manager than Sven?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:17 pm 

It's not fair to compare what wage people get in this country with what people get elsewhere. Wages are much higher here, that's why everyone want's to come here.

Sorry if you think I was insulting you, but I dont think you're a city fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:19 pm 

Badger wrote:

This lad is putting a lot of time and effort into his posts Badger. I think you need to raise your game and reply with at least 7,000 words.

Or maybe he's just a twat with too much time on his hands and is best shot down quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:28 pm 

Badger wrote:

how so?

look my point was this (once again, taking no legacy from Sven which he deserves): Swedish championship and cup win, portugese championship and cup, italian cup, UEFA cup, and a cup winners cup-- that a manager has won 8 or more years ago but winning nothing in the past 8 years just doesn't explain a manager's salary per year if it's overshadowing yearly salaries of 2 managers, for example, one of whom has won 2 serie A championships and 2 champions league championships + 1 CL runners up, while the other has won 3 Serie A championships + 1 CL runners up + World cup, all within the past 8 years.

The owner or a chief executive of the club who pays his salary might evaluate things differently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:31 pm 

But you're trying to compare what sven won as far back as 20 years ago with what others have won in the last few years. 20 years ago most leagues in europe were more evenly matched in those days, so again I say what you are trying to do is unfair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:32 pm 

save me jeebus wrote:
It's not fair to compare what wage people get in this country with what people get elsewhere. Wages are much higher here, that's why everyone want's to come here.

Sorry if you think I was insulting you, but I dont think you're a city fan.

but then again, Sven's salary is higher than Arsene Wenger's salary also, who is there, and who has won trophies in the past 7 years in England. I'm not a fan of any team in particular. I like premier league. I'm American. And I think with this owner, City has good potential to build solid teams because the guy just has a lot of money he seems to want to invest in the team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:32 pm 

robobobo wrote:
how so?

look my point was this (once again, taking no legacy from Sven which he deserves): Swedish championship and cup win, portugese championship and cup, italian cup, UEFA cup, and a cup winners cup-- that a manager has won 8 or more years ago but winning nothing in the past 8 years just doesn't explain a manager's salary per year if it's overshadowing yearly salaries of 2 managers, for example, one of whom has won 2 serie A championships and 2 champions league championships + 1 CL runners up, while the other has won 3 Serie A championships + 1 CL runners up + World cup, all within the past 8 years.

The owner or a chief executive of the club who pays his salary might evaluate things differently.

I fell asleep after the first 20 words. Do you work for Frank?

You may have noticed that he worked as England manager for a long time. He only had a chance to win a trophy every two years during this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:33 pm 

Badger wrote:

robobobo wrote:
how so?

robobobo wrote:
but then again, Sven's salary is higher than Arsene Wenger's salary also, who is there, and who has won trophies in the past 7 years in England. I'm not a fan of any team in particular. I like premier league. [color="Red"]I'm American[/color].

Aah, I see. :rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:34 pm 

robobobo wrote:
that a manager has won 8 or more years ago but winning nothing in the past 8 years just doesn't explain a manager's salary per year if it's overshadowing yearly salaries of 2 managers, for example, one of whom has won 2 serie A championships and 2 champions league championships + 1 CL runners up, while the other has won 3 Serie A championships + 1 CL runners up + World cup, all within the past 8 years.

In the 8 years before he came to City, Sven has had the chance to win 4 trophies. The managers you talk about have the chance to win 4 trophies per year. And there are far more contenders for the World Cup and Euros than anything except the Champions' League.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:43 pm 

I'm With Stupid wrote:
In the 8 years before he came to City, Sven has had the chance to win 4 trophies. The managers you talk about have the chance to win 4 trophies per year. And there are far more contenders for the World Cup and Euros than anything except the Champions' League.

Correct. You can't draw any comparisons between Sven's time with England and the success of current club managers, totally different ball game. Truth is you could have Jesus fucking Christ in charge of England and we'd still go out on pens in the quarter finals....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:43 pm 

robobobo wrote:
but then again, Sven's salary is higher than Arsene Wenger's salary also, who is there, and who has won trophies in the past 7 years in England. I'm not a fan of any team in particular. I like premier league. I'm American. And I think with this owner, City has good potential to build solid teams because the guy just has a lot of money he seems to want to invest in the team.

This explains why you are talking out of your hole.

This guy we have has most of his assets frozen in Thailand. However, in spite of this he has been able to finance a lot of fancy deals - more than likely on the future earnings of the club.

Tell me, why do they call it the "World Series" why only America take part?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:50 pm 

save me jeebus wrote:
But you're trying to compare what sven won as far back as 20 years ago with what others have won in the last few years. 20 years ago most leagues in europe were more evenly matched in those days, so again I say what you are trying to do is unfair.

I was presented with his trophies in the 90s so that was the comparison. The gap between the championships of portugal vs premiership or serie A weren't so evenly matched back then either. Well, there are valid points in him being in charge of a national team for 5 yrs vs managers of club sides, but then this also compares him to another manager in europe who delivered with the national team, and who was his rival in italy when he coached Lazio.

Once again, I don't try to argue against his legacy. I just thought his salary was too high for what he's been delivering, and thought that might be an issue for management. No disrespect here.

Badger wrote:
Aah, I see. :rolleyes:

but I travel to London quite often for my job. so I follow the Premier league and football quite often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:08 pm 

robobobo wrote:
I was presented with his trophies in the 90s so that was the comparison. The gap between the championships of portugal vs premiership or serie A weren't so evenly matched back then either. Well, there are valid points in him being in charge of a national team for 5 yrs vs managers of club sides, but then this also compares him to another manager in europe who delivered with the national team, and who was his rival in italy when he coached Lazio.

Once again, I don't try to argue against his legacy. I just thought his salary was too high for what he's been delivering, and thought that might be an issue for management. No disrespect here.

but I travel to London quite often for my job. so I follow the Premier league and football quite often.

serie A was generally considered superior to the premier league back then, and some would argue still is. And most leagues were evenly matched back then because those were the days when most teams were filled with players from the home nation with maybe one or two imports. Plus there was a period where that was a rule, the 3 foreigner rule or something. Which Septic Bladder is trying to re-introduce to curb english domination. The twat.