Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sven staying?
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:47 am 

Manchester City owner could be prepared to perform a u-turn and stick with manager Sven-Goran Eriksson. (Sunday Express)

Would this actually surprise anyone?
Following discussions on here and elsewhere, this appeared to be the only logical conclusion to the whole matter IMO.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:52 am 

Id say the damage has already been done.If he does stay it still wont go away:rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:01 am 

That all depends on how much of what has been printed has been the truth and how much just malicious rumour-mongering.

If Frank had decided that Sven was to go and had told him that, I can't see that being reversed. I doubt Frank would want to be seen as 'weak' by being influenced by the reaction from the fans and media, and from what we know about him he certainly appears to be someone who knows his own mind and can be ruthless when he thinks it's necessary. Plus, Sven's pride might not allow a u-turn after the way this has been handled in the media spotlight and having being told he was to lose his job.

However, most likely all that has been said is that a review will be held and no decision has been made, in which case it is entirely possible Sven could stay. Basically the papers are just trying to cover their backs either way, especially after Frank's statement that they are spreading lies.

These are the cries of the carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:04 am 

Labmonkey wrote:
That all depends on how much of what has been printed has been the truth and how much just malicious rumour-mongering.

If Frank had decided that Sven was to go and had told him that, I can't see that being reversed. I doubt Frank would want to be seen as 'weak' by being influenced by the reaction from the fans and media, and from what we know about him he certainly appears to be someone who knows his own mind and can be ruthless when he thinks it's necessary. Plus, Sven's pride might not allow a u-turn after the way this has been handled in the media spotlight and having being told he was to lose his job.

However, most likely all that has been said is that a review will be held and no decision has been made, in which case it is entirely possible Sven could stay. Basically the papers are just trying to cover their backs either way, especially after Frank's statement that they are spreading lies.

These are my thoughts exactly. Not one of there so-called newspaper reports appears to have been backed up by any evidence. They have left themselves open to criticism, and possibly more, from Thaksin.
Many of us on here have doubts about Thaksin, but as yet he hasn't done a thing to either prove us wrong, nor right. All everyone can do is wait and see.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:12 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
These are my thoughts exactly. Not one of there so-called newspaper reports appears to have been backed up by any evidence. They have left themselves open to criticism, and possibly more, from Thaksin.
Many of us on here have doubts about Thaksin, but as yet he hasn't done a thing to either prove us wrong, nor right. All everyone can do is wait and see.

Yeah, though the wait is very frustrating. That's entirely down to the press shit-stirring though. If they hadn't done all that, no one would really think twice about the end of season review and if Sven did go then it would come as a huge shock to us all! It's all designed to sell more papers at the end of the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:18 am 

More bet-hedging going on here:

[color="Blue"]Sven Goran Eriksson is still clinging to his job ...with Thai owner Thaksin Shinawatra set to make a decision on his future today.

Manchester City's entry to the UEFA Cup via the Fair Play League, coupled with Shinawatra's failure to get a definite decision from top target and Portugal national boss Phil Scolari, means Eriksson could yet stay in charge at Eastlands.

The Swede will hope for a firm decision on his future when he meets Shinawatra in Thailand today - with some City officials refusing to rule out a U-turn by the unpredictable owner.

The pair briefly met yesterday in Bangkok - where City lost 3-1 to an All-Star XI from the Thai league - but Eriksson's future was not discussed.

Shinawatra demanded a top-10 spot and European football with former England coach Eriksson delivering both.[/color]

Err, no he didn't. Fuckwits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:04 am 

Apparently Its all to with some signing's why he's not happy. Bianchi £8.8 Benjani £4-7m Caciado £5m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:56 am 

magic mike wrote:
Apparently Its all to with some signing's why he's not happy. Bianchi £8.8 Benjani £4-7m Caciado £5m.

Not happy? At least he didn't sign Veron like a club nearby did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:22 pm 

Frank Blue wrote:
Not happy? At least he didn't sign Veron like a club nearby did.

He has signed Veron in the past though :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:48 pm 

magic mike wrote:

With all the signings he had to make in such a short time not all of them were going to work out were they? we're getting our money back for bianchi, benjanis done ok and caicedos still young and petrov at 4.7 million has to be one of the buys of the season

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:43 pm 

blue mooner 1988 wrote:
With all the signings he had to make in such a short time not all of them were going to work out were they? we're getting our money back for bianchi, benjanis done ok and caicedos still young and petrov at 4.7 million has to be one of the buys of the season

agreed on all points plus he got elano and corluka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:35 pm 

plusgood wrote:
He has signed Veron in the past though :P

yeah but it wasnt for almost 30 million quid was it?
then again, if the Ronaldinho rumour turns out to be true....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:57 pm 

magic mike wrote:

caicedo for 5 million pounds? this better would be a joke

http://waitforthewhistle.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:28 pm 

There is no indication at all that we will get all our money back on Bianchi.

In fact their is no indication the loan move will be made permanent either. The fact is its very likely we will make a substantial loss on him.

Overall Svens siginings have been excellent certainly more hit than miss...

I hope a way can be found for sven to say but it very much looks like his postition is untenable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:18 am 

just noticed old horse heads been made captain at parma, he scored 5 goals from 27 games. Maybe they will buy him and we can get another 25 pound for the transfer kitty

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:55 am 

Shimmer wrote:
caicedo for 5 million pounds? this better would be a joke

yep - £5 million = probably on the never never though

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:26 am 

Much as I hope that Eriksson stays as I think he's done a great job for the club as a whole, I'd have even more respect for him if he told Frank to shove the job and just walked away.
Maybe he likes the club as much as he says he does and he's happy here but, even so, you'd think his dignity would force him to leave rather than put up with being treated so badly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:47 am 

Parma were relegated yesterday I think sodoubt Corradi will be staying there. Unfotunately he still has another year with us on a lucrative contract. We will be lucky to get rid of him...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:57 am 

Timpblue wrote:
yep - £5 million = probably on the never never though

He was bought as 'one for the future' ffs, no body can judge whether he'll work out yet.

As for Ronaldo, yes it didn't come off as planned, but we'll get our money back no probs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:57 am 

ESM wrote:
He was bought as 'one for the future' ffs, no body can judge whether he'll work out yet.

As for Ronaldo, yes it didn't come off as planned, but we'll get our money back no probs.

Any news on the bianchi transfer being made permanent yet? I'd rather have him back for another year than take a big loss on him, Anyway if Sven is sacked and we get a new manager he may want to keep him