Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:02 am 
blue mooner 1988 wrote:
Any news on the bianchi transfer being made permanent yet? I'd rather have him back for another year than take a big loss on him, Anyway if Sven is sacked and we get a new manager he may want to keep him

Given his apparent difficulty to settle in Manchester I can't see him being willing to return. Besides we have better players who want to play for the club and money to buy more.

I'd be amazed if we ever saw Bianchi in a City shirt again. Amazed and a tad disappointed. If you don't want to wear the sky blue then do one. There's enough who would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:46 pm 

Thought I'd put this here.

Benfica appoint Flores as coach

Flores takes over from Camacho at Benfica
Benfica have ended their interest in Sven-Goran Eriksson and named Spaniard Quique Sanchez Flores as their coach for next season.

Flores, 43, was sacked by Valencia in October following the team's 3-0 defeat at Sevilla in the Primera Liga.

Flores takes over from compatriot Jose Antonio Camacho, who resigned in March following a run of poor results.

Earlier this month, Benfica officials met Manchester City's Swedish manager Sven-Goran Eriksson.

The Swede met with Benfica president Luis Felipe Vieira and their new director of football, Rui Costa, in Manchester.

Eriksson has coached Benfica twice, leading them to two championships and a domestic cup in the early 1980s.

He then went to Italy but returned in 1989, taking the club to the 1990 European Cup final, a game they lost to AC Milan, before winning the Portuguese title again in 1991.

Flores, a former Real Madrid and Valencia defender who was also capped for Spain, took charge of Valencia at the start of the 2005-06 season following a successful spell in charge of Getafe.

He steered Valencia to a third-place finish in the league in his first season in charge and fourth place the following term, despite a string of injuries to leading players.

"We will be aware, we want to achieve the important objectives," said Flores, who is the son of former Real Madrid player Isidro Sanchez who married into the Flores flamenco dynasty.

"Having a competitive team is more than enough reason to sign with Benfica."

The Lisbon club finished fourth in the Portuguese championship this season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:05 pm 

Have we heard about any deadlines in the media regarding when we will hear about thaskins decision on sven?

Strangely, the lull in attention the story has been getting recently has been giving me hope that sven is going to stay. Fingers crossed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:53 pm 

Sven wants Mexico job - Agent

Sven-Goran Eriksson's American agent believes the Manchester City boss will accept an offer from the Mexican FA to coach the national side.

Juan Carlos Padilla claims that the Swede has already agreed terms on a two-year deal to lead Mexico to the 2010 World Cup, and that the offer is the former England manager's number one choice as his Eastlands future looks in increasing doubt.

"We already know what the Mexican FA are looking for - we'll accept their terms if they call us again," Padilla told Mexican newspaper La Jornada from Manchester.

"If the Mexican FA decide to take him, he will be their coach and the Mexican national team will be his number one choice.

"It's a contract up to and including the next World Cup, after that we'll see what happens. But for the moment it's a two-year contract."

Padilla rubbished suggestions that Eriksson, who has managed in Italy and Portugal, would have trouble adapting to life in Central America.

"Eriksson speaks five languages. He speaks Portuguese, Italian, English, Swedish and German," he said.

"So if you take Portuguese and Italian, put them together and exert a bit of effort, you can speak Spanish in two months. So there'll be no language barrier."

He added: "He wants to have many Mexicans involved, such as team doctors, physios, etc.

"He knows he has to adapt to the culture, not that it has to adapt to him."

The City boss is currently on a post-season tour of Asia with the English Premier League side, and has remained tight-lipped about his future throughout.

But Padilla claims the famously calm Swede is excited about taking on the role, and has already shown an admiration for Mexican football.

"Eriksson is very excited," he insisted.

"He knows a lot of the (Mexican) players there (in Europe), in fact there has been talk of Manchester City's interest in two Mexican players whose names I can't give."

Padilla dismissed claims that Mexican FA had unrealistic expectations of the man who coached England to the 2006 World Cup quarter-finals.

"They haven't asked us to win the World Cup," he said. "Just to put up a good performance."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:53 pm 

Fizzy Pop wrote:
Have we heard about any deadlines in the media regarding when we will hear about thaskins decision on sven?

Strangely, the lull in attention the story has been getting recently has been giving me hope that sven is going to stay. Fingers crossed.

Me too until I read this

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1777_3610257,00.html

Lucks like we're going to need a new manager again, please don't be avram grant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:22 pm 

blue mooner 1988 wrote:
Me too until I read this

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1777_3610257,00.html

Lucks like we're going to need a new manager again, please don't be avram grant.

Point is we only know nothing because we read the papers etc. Can anyone show me a definitive statement by either Thaksin or sven to say that he is on his way out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:25 pm 

Think theres a press conference or statement tuesday. Hopefully it will be cleared up then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:50 pm 

dont tell anyone but im the new manager. sshh

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:30 am 

I'd be chuffed to bits if this was the case, £65 million to spend in the summer and Sven still as manager. Happy Happy Happy! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:29 pm 

*Swallows lump in throat* From ssn.

The Mexican Football Federation hope to appoint Sven Goran Eriksson as their new manager next week.

The FMF confirmed the Swede is their top target, despite claims by Eriksson's agent Athole Still that no contact has been made.

Mexico have been searching for a replacement for Hugo Sanchez since 31st March and FMF president Justino Compean has confirmed that the country are close to agreeing a deal which will tempt the former England coach from his fragile position at Manchester City.

"We are closing ranks on (Eriksson) and it just has to be confirmed," Compean told Estadio W radio station.

He added: "It's close to being confirmed, but because nothing has been signed, we can't get ahead of ourselves."

Unanimous

There had been suggestions that the Mexican Football League were unwilling to back any move which saw Eriksson named as national coach, but Compean insists that is not the case.

"We've already talked to the owners and convinced those that didn't agree," he said.

"Decisions here are made unanimously, and the name will be accepted."

Contact

Despite the confidence exuding from Compean, the situation remains unclear as Still continues to deny that Eriksson has held discussions with the Central American side.

"There has been no official contact whatsoever," he said.

"Mr Eriksson is a contracted employee of Manchester City Football Club. He has not proactively looked for other employment, nor have I.

"It's all just rumours. Until there is official negotiation or discussion, it's all just hot air