Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:11 pm 
I'm glad the club have responded to this...

[color="Teal"]Manchester City slam allegations regarding the Chairman
16/05/2008 11:55

The Club have taken the unusual step today to issue a statement regarding reports in some of this morning’s national newspapers.
The stories suggested that our Chairman, Dr Thaksin Shinawatra, has put the entire first team squad up for sale and has written a critical letter to all the players regarding their performances this season.

Dr Thaksin exclusively told mcfc.co.uk “There is absolutely no truth to this story or any of the allegations. I appreciate the progress and performance of the whole squad, managed by Sven-Goran Eriksson, this season.”

Dr Thaksin also confirmed that other claims in the story of Deputy Chairman John Wardle apologising to players for selling the club were also without any foundation.

Last night Dr Thaksin dined with Sven together with the City players and staff at sponsor Singha Beer’s dinner to promote the game with the Thai All Star team in Bangkok on Saturday

Manchester City spokesman Paul Tyrrell said, “We are currently taking legal advice regarding these news reports and will pursue those who continue to run or repeat this false story and its allegations without the Chairman’s rebuttal.”

Tim Oscroft[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:13 pm 

Emigre wrote:
I'm glad the club have responded to this...

[color="Teal"]Manchester City slam allegations regarding the Chairman
16/05/2008 11:55

The Club have taken the unusual step today to issue a statement regarding reports in some of this morning’s national newspapers.
The stories suggested that our Chairman, Dr Thaksin Shinawatra, has put the entire first team squad up for sale and has written a critical letter to all the players regarding their performances this season.

Dr Thaksin exclusively told mcfc.co.uk “There is absolutely no truth to this story or any of the allegations. I appreciate the progress and performance of the whole squad, [color="Red"]managed by Sven-Goran Eriksson[/color], this season.”

Dr Thaksin also confirmed that other claims in the story of Deputy Chairman John Wardle apologising to players for selling the club were also without any foundation.

Last night Dr Thaksin dined with Sven together with the City players and staff at sponsor Singha Beer’s dinner to promote the game with the Thai All Star team in Bangkok on Saturday

Manchester City spokesman Paul Tyrrell said, “We are currently taking legal advice regarding these news reports and will pursue those who continue to run or repeat this false story and its allegations without the Chairman’s rebuttal.”

Tim Oscroft[/color]

Could this be Frank standing by his man???

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:17 pm 

are things starting to look rosie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:20 pm 

This statement is just Frank trying save what's left of his dignity, equally the comments by Sven ob the UEFA spot are just him being professional as always. I doubt anything has really changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:20 pm 

Definitely about time something was said and done. The silence from the club was getting deafening.

These are the cries of the carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:22 pm 

ESM wrote:
This statement is just Frank trying save what's left of his dignity, equally the comments by Sven ob the UEFA spot are just him being professional as always. I doubt anything has really changed.

Last I heard we were due an announcement on the 23rd of this month, upon the teams return. Shall have to see if this is upheld

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:24 pm 

Me thinks Frank will hire Judge Judy to help him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:26 pm 

the ghost of gibbi wrote:
Last I heard we were due an announcement on the 23rd of this month, upon the teams return. Shall have to see if this is upheld

We'll see, the fact that with the UEFA spot Sven has over achieved is targets pre-season really would make Frank look a tool to sack him, the press would have a fucking field day.
I get the feeling that the silence over Sven's future, and the meetings being put back and back is to allow Franks bods to make a few calls before a final decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:28 pm 

i may regret saying this but i have a feeling sven is going to stay and that's always been the case :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:12 pm 

Bluewythy wrote:
i may regret saying this but i have a feeling sven is going to stay and that's always been the case :D

If this was the case the all the club had to say was that we are having an end of season review but this nwill not affect the position on out Manage SGE.

Because they haven't done this in the face of all this speculation suggests that the speculation is true. Especially becuase they have been quick enough to rebut this rumour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:33 pm 
My feeling is that Thaksin really hasn't made his mind up yet and was possibly waiting for feedback on other managers availability and also waiting on talks with Sven. I reckon getting in to Europe will be a big bonus for Sven in terms of keeping his job as it puts City a step ahead of our target. Admittedly not via top 5 or 6 but even so, we have a European run to look forwards to.

It's been mentioned a lot before but the truth is, only time will tell. Who knows what goes on in Thaksin's mind and although most people think he's handled the situation badly, it could be a bit of 'lost in translation.'

Why don't we ask the HSBC what's going on, they understand all this 'difference in culture' shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:40 pm 

i think it was all a deadly ploy to set up other teams to approach sven so we could then sue them for tapping him up. same with the reports on all the players being available :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:16 pm 

Maybe we should sell all the players anyway. they were shit second half of the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:19 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Maybe we should sell all the players anyway. they were shit second half of the season.

Valid point, maybe as a job lot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:20 pm 

we could put the strikers on bogof

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:52 pm 

We have strikers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:10 pm 

It it hadnt been for the 8-1 cocking I think Frank would have stuck with sven for another season now we are in europe.

That result was so bad, from the outside it looked like a complete break down of discipline and respect. A real big two fingers up to the owner and to a certain extent the fans.

Deserved or not his position looks pretty untenable.

Personally I hope I am wrong and we stick with him, we wont get another manager of his calibre at this stage thats for sure....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:15 pm 

Anyone got a link to the article? The papers didn't get in because of bad weather today lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:01 pm 

Labmonkey wrote:
Definitely about time something was said and done. The silence from the club was getting deafening.

Pardon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:02 pm 

Bastard wrote:
We have strikers?

As in people refusing to work, yes.

:D