Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sven and Frank
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:45 am 

Just a thought...

Has Shinawatra saved Sven's reputation and popularity at the club by releasing the news that he wants to sack him early and then having the supporters rally for him?

If it wasnt for this would the fans be the ones wanting to get rid of him following an end to the season with three losses culminating in the club's biggest defeat in 100 years to a very average team. And also showing relegation form in the last two months that has included loses against Fulham, Birmingham and Reading, the three clubs who were in a relegation scrap yesterday.

I think the last few games have been disgraceful, no effort from the players and the blame for that has got to lie with the manager. Do the peformances of late show that Sven really is in the job for himself and really doesnt care about working and doing his job when he knows he can just get a pay off in the summer and move on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:57 am 

Bluewythy wrote:
Just a thought...

Has Shinawatra saved Sven's reputation and popularity at the club by releasing the news that he wants to sack him early and then having the supporters rally for him?

If it wasnt for this would the fans be the ones wanting to get rid of him following an end to the season with three losses culminating in the club's biggest defeat in 100 years to a very average team. And also showing relegation form in the last two months that has included loses against Fulham, Birmingham and Reading, the three clubs who were in a relegation scrap yesterday.

I think the last few games have been disgraceful, no effort from the players and the blame for that has got to lie with the manager. Do the peformances of late show that Sven really is in the job for himself and really doesnt care about working and doing his job when he knows he can just get a pay off in the summer and move on?

I can see where you're coming from but i dont think he would 'give up and not give a damn', yes i'm paraphrasing. A manager of his calibre wouldn't do such a thing as it could potentially risk his reputation and future job opportunities.

What the last match came down to i suspect would be the mentality of the players. Captain sent off early, two goals down, not much to play for....more to save. The team crumbled under pressure and lack of motivation which is is disgraceful but it happens, the players try harder next time and the fans down a few shots to forget.

Why the team has underperformed so badly against relegation threatened teams i dont know, maybe its because they just wanted it more, maybe its because of our injuries or maybe its just purely down the the fact that we are city and someone involved with the team many years ago broke a factory full of mirrors who knows.

Back on topic i dont think Sven or any high level professional would do such a thing, its too unlikely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:01 am 

I feel you're being harsh on Sven, the players are as much at fault for our run of form and yesterdays result, on top of that we've had key players injured from midfield and defence far large parts of the season. Which ever way you want to look at it we've still finished 9th plus may have sneaked into the UEFA cup via the back door, surely that isn't too shabby for Sven's first season?
I'll also say that I've been to every home game both league and cup all season, and not once have I heard any dissent aimed at Sven. The only stuff I hear are comments form ill advised armchair supporters spouting off to Waggy on GMR post match.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:02 am 

ESM wrote:
I feel you're being harsh on Sven, the players are as much at fault for our run of form and yesterdays result, on top of that we've had key players injured from midfield and defence far large parts of the season. Which ever way you want to look at it we've still finished 9th plus may have sneaked into the UEFA cup via the back door, surely that isn't too shabby for Sven's first season?
I'll also say that I've been to every home game both league and cup all season, and not once have I heard any decent aimed at Sven. The only stuff I hear are comments form ill advised armchair supporters spouting off to Waggy on GMR post match.

dissent.

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:17 am 

ESM wrote:
I'll also say that I've been to every home game both league and cup all season, and not once have I heard any dissent aimed at Sven. The only stuff I hear are comments form ill advised armchair supporters spouting off to Waggy on GMR post match.

I would have preferred for none of this nonsense with Sven being sacked to have happened, im not anti-sven. But i do have doubts about the man's loyalty and motivation if there is nothing in it for him. Yes as a whole this season has been better, but surely it always was going to be after spending £45m.

Im not saying i want Pearce back, but you never know how he would have done with that money. And i thought of Pearce cos while we have been short in defence recently and basically given up... i remember when city played chelsea a couple of seasons ago and we had something like 13 fit first squad players and went up against the multi-international chelsea with the likes of willo flood at centre mid and we gave them a really good game. I would see us playing better football now, but i dont think the players would fight purely for their own pride.

I think the city fans set themselves up to be a laughing stock with all the protests for Sven, all the effort for a man who has been with us less than a year, has previously searched for more lucrative jobs whilst in employment, and all the other business he gets in the papers for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:32 am 

Bluewythy wrote:
I would have preferred for none of this nonsense with Sven being sacked to have happened, im not anti-sven. But i do have doubts about the man's loyalty and motivation if there is nothing in it for him. Yes as a whole this season has been better, but surely it always was going to be after spending £45m.

Im not saying i want Pearce back, but you never know how he would have done with that money. And i thought of Pearce cos while we have been short in defence recently and basically given up... i remember when city played chelsea a couple of seasons ago and we had something like 13 fit first squad players and went up against the multi-international chelsea with the likes of willo flood at centre mid and we gave them a really good game. I would see us playing better football now, but i dont think the players would fight purely for their own pride.

I think the city fans set themselves up to be a laughing stock with all the protests for Sven, all the effort for a man who has been with us less than a year, has previously searched for more lucrative jobs whilst in employment, and all the other business he gets in the papers for.

Yes we do, he still would have been shit. He doesn't have the contacts in the game or the repect Sven has. His targets still would have been David Nugent and Billy Sharp, he'd just have paid more for them. Pearce would have kept us in the bottom half no problem.

And as for Sven not having any loyalty? A bit harsh, granted he wouldn't be here if we didn't have the money but he's earned the right to that kind of money by his prolonged success at club level in his career, and his reasonable success at international level.

As for the protests about a man who's only been here a year, i don't really think the protests are just for Sven. I think the underlying reasons are that we don't want so sack a successful manager, he's done well for us. I believe we would have a similar reaction with any other manager who had done as well as Sven. And you can say we should have improved with the kind of money we spent, and you're right...but having spent so little (because £40m - £50m is fuck all and you know it) we've improved beyond what could have reasonably been expected.

The end of the season has been disapointing, but not worrying. The 'Boro game is a disgrace and everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves, but it's an anomaly. It isn't in keeping with the general fom of the season (for either team) and for all the disapointment and anger it caused, it isn't really that big a deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:38 am 

all those that played yesterday want sacking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:39 am 

Squidge wrote:
Yes we do, he still would have been shit. He doesn't have the contacts in the game or the repect Sven has. His targets still would have been David Nugent and Billy Sharp, he'd just have paid more for them. Pearce would have kept us in the bottom half no problem.

And as for Sven not having any loyalty? A bit harsh, granted he wouldn't be here if we didn't have the money but he's earned the right to that kind of money by his prolonged success at club level in his career, and his reasonable success at international level.

As for the protests about a man who's only been here a year, i don't really think the protests are just for Sven. I think the underlying reasons are that we don't want so sack a successful manager, he's done well for us. I believe we would have a similar reaction with any other manager who had done as well as Sven. And you can say we should have improved with the kind of money we spent, and you're right...but having spent so little (because £40m - £50m is fuck all and you know it) we've improved beyond what could have reasonably been expected.

The end of the season has been disapointing, but not worrying. The 'Boro game is a disgrace and everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves, but it's an anomaly. It isn't in keeping with the general fom of the season (for either team) and for all the disapointment and anger it caused, it isn't really that big a deal.

Spot on Squidgy. It's just such a pity that the players who say they are "100% behind Sven" didn't show that on the pitch yesterday, half hearted protest or not, several players who took part in the second half against Fulham, and yesterdays tonking are not fit to wear the shirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:41 am 

Half Bassman Half Biscuit wrote:
all those that played yesterday want sacking.

I suspect most will be going anyway Bassman, I just hope we get good money for them. Boils my piss that we didn't buy out Micah's 20% sell on clause when we had the chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:46 am 

Squidge wrote:

All the "Save Our Sven" and "Id rather say bye to the Thai" nonsense has really annoyed me.

I just said i doubted his loyalty, i didnt condemn it.

Liverpool had something like 19 shots against us the week before, we could have conceeded 8 in that as well.

I support Shinawatra and appreciate what he's trying to do and where he wants to take the club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:49 am 

Bluewythy wrote:
All the "Save Our Sven" and "Id rather say bye to the Thai" nonsense has really annoyed me.

Liverpool had something like 19 shots against us the week before, we could have conceeded 8 in that as well.

[color="Red"]I support Shinawatra and appreciate what he's trying to do and where he wants to take the club[/color].

Ditto. Without him I believe we would have been in a relegation scrap this season. And before somebody* says we only spent the Sky money and he hasn't really given anything to buy players his money has cleared a big chunk of debts the club had.

*ESM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:52 am 

Badger wrote:
Ditto. Without him I believe we would have been in a relegation scrap this season. And before somebody* says we only spent the Sky money and he hasn't really given anything to buy players his money has cleared a big chunk of debts the club had.

*ESM

and the sky money wouldnt pay sven's and the new signing's wages as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:52 am 

Bluewythy wrote:

I support Shinawatra and appreciate what he's trying to do and where he wants to take the club.

The idea of losing Thaksin is nonsense at the moment because without him we wouldn't have the money. But i don't understand why the Save our Sven thing would annoy you. The fans want to make their feelings clear to the owner, what's the problem with that/ I'd more worried if people weren't bothered about this, at least the club still has a soul.

We couldn't have conceded 8 in the Liverpool game at all. It's easy to reel off a stat, but you know from watching the game that it just isn't true.

I also appreciate the position Thaksin and the position he has put the club in, that doesn't mean i will accept every decision he makes, or not be concerned when he makes ludicrous decisions that may have a negative effect on the club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:55 am 

Badger wrote:

*ESM

Take your point but as the club is delisted we don't know the true financial situation.

End of the day it's a total pisser the way the season has ended after all the excitement of last summer and a feeling we were really going places. Now we're faced with the fall out of a tonking on the last day of the season, a manager that looks likely to be sacked in 24 hours or so, our best players either wanting away or being targeted by other clubs.

This has all the makings of a Hearts situation, Frank is or could be the EPL's Romanov.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:00 am 

ESM wrote:
Take your point but as the club is delisted we don't know the true financial situation.

End of the day it's a total pisser the way the season has ended after all the excitement of last summer and a feeling we were really going places. Now we're faced with the fall out of a tonking on the last day of the season, a manager that looks likely to be sacked in 24 hours or so, our best players either wanting away or being targeted by other clubs.

This has all the makings of a Hearts situation, Frank is or could be the EPL's Romanov.

werent hearts finsihing in the top three in the SPL when Romanov was power hungry? id take that in the EPL! ha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:02 am 

Badger wrote:

*ESM

I think you need to rephrase this to "Without his money i believe we would have been in a relegation scrap this season."

I wont be so ignorant to say Thaskin is useless and lets get rid of him but to say you like the direction he is leading the club doesn't make sense to me. We were shambles last season, we were looking prosperous at the start of the season and now because of Thaskin we are in the shambles again.

I appreciate his money but in no way do i think he is doing good things fo rthe club by meddling. His actions do not tickle my fancy at all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:04 am 

ESM wrote:

It is still a limited company and the accounts must be lodged with the companies office (or UK equivilent). The accounts can be viewed after paying a search fee. No doubt they will be poured over and analysed and we will hear what is really going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:08 am 

plusgood wrote:
I think you need to rephrase this to "Without money i believe we would have been in a relegation scrap this season."

I wont be so ignorant to say Thaskin is useless and lets get rid of him but to say you like the direction he is leading the club doesn't make sense to me. We were shambles last season, we were looking prosperous at the start of the season and now because of Thaskin we are in the shambles again.

I appreciate his money but in no way do i think he is doing good things fo rthe club by meddling. His actions do not tickle my fancy at all

But we looked prosperous because of Thaksin. And we couldn't just have any old fool with money - if Ray Ranson had bought us out where would we be? If Mike Ashley had gone for us instead of Newcastle where would we be?

It's not a case of either saying "Thaksin is great, he can do no wrong" or "Thaksin is terrible, he is destroying the club".

It sits somewhere between the two extremes, without him we wouldn't have Sven and therefore wouldn't have Elano, Petrov, Corluka Gelson, two derby wins, a top half finish etc etc

However, he does seem to be in the process of making a very bad and potentillay harmful decision.

He's done more good than bad, and there's people on both sides of this argument being too blinkered to acknowledge the other side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:49 am 

Squidge wrote:

That's the crux of it for me. This isn't some misplaced loyalty for Sven in the belief that he is 100% City through and through. It is merely questioning the morals and integrity of getting rid of someone who has met the targets set them. I like to think of my club as having a sense of fair play and treating people the correct way, and it makes me cringe when we fail to live up to that expectation. Of course there have been ups and downs of this first season, and there are definitely aspects in which we can improve, but if the target was really to become the perfect football team in one year, then (a) Thaksin should have said so instead of asking for top ten and (b) we'd never have got a manager to take on the job.

These are the cries of the carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:58 am 

Bluewythy wrote:

As do we all, seeing as he wants to make City a top club competing for honours again. However, that doesn't mean we have to support all of his ideas of how to go about doing that. Obviously everyone has different opinions on how to go about making City great again, but one person's opinion can seem ill-judged (at best) to others, and in this case the one person whose opinion actually counts more than anyone's conflicts with that of the vast majority of others, both inside and outside the club. That's not to say Thaksin should be chased from the club by a pitchfork-wielding mob, but that I wish he would listen to the consensus of opinion before making such a dramatic decision.

These are the cries of the carrots.