Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:26 pm 

Simon Hattenstone The Guardian, Wednesday June 11 2008
Article history

Sven-Goran Eriksson's departure marked a new low for City fans. Photograph: Andrew Yates/AFP

Five weeks is a long time in the life of a Manchester City fan. Since I've been away, the beloved leader Dr Thaksin Shinawatra has sacked Sven-Goran Eriksson despite the fact that he had delivered a top-10 finish as requested, despite the fact that Manchester City had done the double over Manchester United for the first time in 40 years, despite the fact that Manchester City won the FA Youth Cup for the first time in 22 years, despite Sven pledging his allegiance to the club by buying himself a fine pair of blue-tinted spectacles. Now I am no Sven evangelical - indeed, my regular reader might well recall that in the past I compared him to Death from Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal and accused him of being a master of mind-numbingly dull football. But the fact is that our boy Sven, as I like to think of him now, done good at City.

Earlier this year, I tried to interview Svennis for the Guardian. Paul Tyrrell, the spokesman for Manchester City, told me that the Guardian would never get an interview with him because we had shown a lack of respect. Among examples he cited were articles written by David Conn and myself (both City fans). Well, Mr Tyrrell, I would like to ask both you and the beloved leader what is more disrespectful: a) questioning the long-term future of a club run by a man with a dubious human-rights record facing criminal charges back in Thailand or b) sacking your manager after he has achieved just what you asked of him in his first season - and a little bit more.

Since then, things have got worse. City have hired a diehard Red as manager, and in the revisionist manner of modern times we've been told that if you combine the talents of Sir Alex Ferguson, Albert Einstein and Nelson Mandela you might get something approaching the genius of Mark Hughes. City fans have also been told that Hughes, who has never won a trophy as a manager, could have gone to Chelsea, Barcelona or the White House should he have so desired, but his heart always lay with City. Finally, City fans have been ordered to forget that Big Phil Scolari, who we initially believed would replace Sven, ever existed.

As for Ronaldinho and his 200 grand a week? It makes me sick. This is football as political posturing, football as global marketing, football as showbiz masturbation. The one thing it isn't is football as sport. Thaksin can call Ronaldinho the world's greatest player till he's City blue in the face but we all know the truth. He's past his peak, looking for a ludicrous payday, and it just so happens that City are prepared to pay twice as much as any club in their right mind. This is not how you create a winning football club, it's how you create a circus of freaks.

A year ago I said that however hard I would find it to stick Thaksin, I'd find it even harder to give City up. You were married to your team for life - in sickness and health, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, the whole shebang.

But that was then. I can't stand any more. I'm ashamed of you, City.

Until recently, I was so proud of you - sure, I knew you weren't the coolest kid on the block, certainly not the most glamorous, but you were warm and funny and human, and decent people liked you. These days you are crude and crass and humourless, and decent people despise you.

I want out. I know that in filing for divorce, I'm not simply splitting up with a football club. There's family and friends. And that might well be the most painful thing. My daughters could reject me forever - they are always telling me that we are bigger than Thaksin, that he is an imposter and that to leave them now would be an act of betrayal. As for my friend BriceyG, will there be a future for us without City? Well, we can still go for curries at Abdul's and lamb chops on Green Lanes and discuss the old days. We'll always have Gillingham, BriceyG.

This is a momentous decision. Possibly a disastrous one. I don't know if I can kick the habit. Mind you, a few months ago I gave up smoking, and if I managed to give up the cigs I can give up City - even if it does mean going back on the ciggies.

So, farewell City. You've had my love for 36 years, but that's long enough. Other fans might not wish to go the whole hog, so how's about boycotting the first home game of the season or holding a vigil in matching Sven wig and specs outside the ground?

If there's a football club with a heart out there (nothing flash, sense of humour preferable) looking for a new fan, give me a call. As for City, I'll be back when Thaksin's done with his plaything to help with the rebuilding.

About this articleClose This article appeared in the Guardian on Wednesday June 11 2008 on p12 of the Sport news & features section. It was last updated at 00:53 on June 11 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:33 pm 

Brilliant. That is how I've been trying to explain how I feel!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:35 pm 

MrsWeaverToBe wrote:
Brilliant. That is how I've been trying to explain how I feel!!!

Exactly. I'm afraid this seems to be a minority view though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:36 pm 

Tosser... Disowning the club because one bad things happening? And then boycotting the first home game? How would Hughes feel if we did that.
Fuck off Guardian, you bunch of toff bastards

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:36 pm 

slart wrote:
Exactly. I'm afraid this seems to be a minority view though.

yup yup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:38 pm 

the ghost of gibbi wrote:
Tosser... Disowning the club because one bad things happening? And then boycotting the first home game? How would Hughes feel if we did that.

con - fucking- currance

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:39 pm 

No. He lists a number of bad things happening. I can relate to everything he is saying. Simon Hattonstone is around the same age as me and has followed the club all his life. I felt like throwing the towel in last summer but have stuck with Manchester City because it is MY club. Chairmen, owners, players and managers will come and go but we won't.

I think this article expresses a lot of concerns some posters here have about our club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:41 pm 

slart wrote:
No. He lists a number of bad things happening. I can relate to everything he is saying. Simon Hattonstone is around the same age as me and has followed the club all his life. I felt like throwing the towel in last summer but have stuck with Manchester City because it is MY club. Chairmen, owners, players and managers will come and go but we won't.

I think this article expresses a lot of concerns some posters here have about our club.

It steps the mark though. You don't disown your club. Your clubs your first love. I've learnt to fuck the girlfriend, she'll piss me about til the sun sets, but City is a habit. It's like telling your mother you don't love her anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:43 pm 

We've either had this already or he is rehashing something he wrote a couple of days ago. I'm quite surprised by the lack of spelling mistakes for the grauniad.

Pinko.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:43 pm 

It steps the mark though. You don't disown your club. Your clubs your first love. I've learnt to fuck the girlfriend, she'll piss me about til the sun sets, but City is a habit. It's like telling your mother you don't love her anymore.

The journalist cares deeply about the club. This is why he is so upset about what is happening.

Can you tell me hand on heart that you aren't bothered and have no concerns?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:44 pm 

Benny wrote:
We've either had this already or he is rehashing something he wrote a couple of days ago. I'm quite surprised by the lack of spelling mistakes for the grauniad.

Pinko.

This appeared in yesterday's Guardian. They found the spell check function when the went "berliner" size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:45 pm 

I can see his point to an extent butYou just can't run away fromthings you don't like.
January1963 wet tuesday night v Walsall lost 2-0 Only 8000 of us there the lowest point I can remember at City. I am still here and I'll bet most of the survivors of that night are still here. We are the supporters --- not Guardian journalists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:45 pm 

slart wrote:
The journalist cares deeply about the club. This is why he is so upset about what is happening.

I have concerns, but only about who we are run by.
I believe with the introduction of Garry Cook, we will hear less and less of Thaksin.
The action on the pitch, the players, the manager does not worry me at all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:46 pm 

You need to get out more. City do not dictate your life, even I am guilty of letting them ruining my day, week, month etc, but I am getting too depressed about a football club at the minute, when what's important to me is not solely Manchester City Football Club. I have family, friends and a boyfriend that I would put before city. Had you have asked me 18 months ago about all this, I would have given you a completely different POV.

Oh and well done for learning how to have sex with your Mrs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:47 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
I can see his point to an extent butYou just can't run away fromthings you don't like.
January1963 wet tuesday night v Walsall lost 2-0 Only 8000 of us there the lowest point I can remember at City. I am still here and I'll bet most of the survivors of that night are still here. We are the supporters --- not Guardian journalists.

This bloke is a supporter who happens to be a journalist. I could be hard pushed to quit City. And if you reread the article I'm not sure if Simon Hattonstone will actually quit City forever.

He makes some valid points about the state of the club today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:48 pm 

slart wrote:

Is this a repost or has he republished the same thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:50 pm 

MrsWeaverToBe wrote:
You need to get out more. City do not dictate your life, even I am guilty of letting them ruining my day, week, month etc, but I am getting too depressed about a football club at the minute, when what's important to me is not solely Manchester City Football Club. I have family, friends and a boyfriend that I would put before city. Had you have asked me 18 months ago about all this, I would have given you a completely different POV.

Oh and well done for learning how to have sex with your Mrs.

It took a while, but I got round to it.
I realise there are more important things, but if City lose of a weekend, I become very untalkable-to (if that makes sense) It ruins my weekend. All I want is for the club to be successful, and to stand on the terraces at Wembley while our captain lifts a trophy

Post subject:

slart wrote:
This appeared in yesterday's Guardian. They found the spell check function when the went "berliner" size.

Then he's a lazy bastard. I'm certain someone posted an article by him that was virtually identical a few days ago. It's bound to have been you posting it slart, does it ring any bells or have I become psychic?

Post subject:

I have concerns, but only about who we are run by.
I believe with the introduction of Garry Cook, we will hear less and less of Thaksin.
The action on the pitch, the players, the manager does not worry me at all

We've just hired a manager who has never won anything and we are told he was always our first choice and was wanted by Chelsea - make me laugh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:53 pm 

At the end of the day, I'm City, I've always been City, and I'll always be City. This will never change whether we are Premiership or Conference footballers. I'll be City through and through. I'm not gonna jump ship because some Thai c word thinks he's bigger than the club.
I'm fuming now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next