Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Super League
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:40 am 

Fuck off. Cannot begin to comprehend how bad this is for Euro football. I would have had more respect for our owners had they said 'no' to joining it. The German clubs got it right. I feel it is now too late, decisions have been made, cogs are turning. So shit. Imagine being a supporter of a club outside the 'top 6' you basically have an irretrievable gap in ever competing at that level. World Cup Cricket deal strikes again but the ramifications for football are much more severe.

Post subject: Re: Super League
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:57 pm 

What an obnoxious idea?

And here's the swift and understandable response:

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/super-league-uefa-exco-member-says-real-madrid-chelsea-man-city-will-be-removed-from-champions-league-semis/

Super League: UEFA ExCo member says Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man City will be removed from Champions League semis
Jesper Møller, Danish FA chairman and UEFA ExCo member says clubs involved in the Super League will be expelled by Friday

By Mike Goodman

News of a breakaway Super League has shocked the European soccer world. And while the repercussions of the momentous decision won't be fully known for weeks or months, if not years, at least one member of UEFA's executive committee expects teams involved in the endeavor to start facing the consequences of their decision sooner rather than later.

Jesper Møller, the Danish FA chairman, told Danish outlet DR Sport that he expects the members of the breakaway group who remain in this season's Champions League to be removed from the competition saying.

"[Real Madrid, Manchester City and Chelsea] are going out, and I expect that to happen on Friday," Møller said. "And then you have to see how to finish the Champions League."

Earlier in the day UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin vowed to use all the tools and sanctions at his disposal to fight back against the 12 teams who announced their plans to join the Super League.

"There must be one extraordinary executive committee meeting on Friday. I have an expectation that the 12 clubs will be thrown out," Møller said.

The 2020-2021 version of the UEFA Champions League has reached the semifinal stage with the first leg scheduled for Tuesday, April 27 when Chelsea is currently supposed to play Real Madrid and PSG is on course to face Manchester City. Should the three breakaways be removed it remains to be seen how UEFA would handle the remainder of this competition. Real Madrid's quarterfinal victory was over yet another breakaway side, Liverpool, though both Manchester City and Chelsea defeated teams in Borussia Dortmund and Porto that have rejected the idea of the Super League.

Additionally two further members of the breakaway group, Arsenal and Manchester United remain in the UEFA Europa League semifinals and are scheduled to face off against Villarreal and Roma respectively.

In the UEFA Women's Champions League, two of the four semifinalists, Barcelona and Chelsea, are involved in the breakaway plans.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:23 am 

If we continue down this path, I won't be continuing my previous commitment to the Blues. I'll start following Macclesfield or FC Nurnberg.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:11 pm 

Some indication that us and Chelsea could back down, being in a position of "we're not dead into this but we don't want to miss out of it happens". Such a shitshow. Really hoping it gets legislated to fuck, and Christ knows what any of the players think who are looking at ending their international careers for this.

On the other hand, how the fuck are Tottenham in this bag?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:54 pm 

Having said that...
Quote:
ARSENAL and Spurs were only invited to join the Super League to guarantee the proper clubs regular easy victories, it has emerged.

Arsenal, whose current glorious run has seen them lose to Southampton, Wolves and Burnley, have been invited to football’s top table because bullies are nothing without victims.

And Spurs, whose greatest years are only available on a Pathé News Bulletin showreel, are believed to have accepted their role as cannon fodder for vastly superior clubs.

JP Morgan financier Julian Cook said: “Initially, we were going to invite Walsall FC and Hartlepool United.

“But then we realised it would make us look like a bunch of nakedly cynical twats with zero interest in real competition, which is factual but bad PR.

“So, keeping as straight a face as we could, we asked ‘elite’ clubs Arsenal and Spurs as the footballing equivalent of ageing, weak goats tethered to posts to make an easy meal for hungry tigers.

“Real Madrid and Barcelona need a couple of fixtures in which they can rest players, not break a sweat and still win by four clear goals.

“Six months and they’ll be begging for the Europa League. But they’ve signed with us up until the year 2500, the daft mercenary dickheads.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:57 pm 

And more from the mash
Quote:
How to live with the football club you love selling its soul, by a Man City fan
19th April 2021

by Tom Logan, a Manchester City supporter since 1979

ARE you feeling a sickening wrench in your very heart as the football club you love abandons every moral principle for money? Yeah. Been there. Let me make it okay.

First of all, it’s really great to win shit. Trust me. We won nothing for 30 years, apart from promotion from leagues it was a humiliation to be in, and it sucked really hard. Winning a big old Premier League trophy goes a long way to stifling that self-loathing.

Also, we have the good players now. Christ how we suffered during the lean years. While Beckham was banging them in from 50 yards on the other side of the city, our player of the season was Shaun Goater. Don’t get me wrong Shaun you’re a legend, but a legend from a time it hurts to remember.

It doesn’t hurt to do a bit of moral relativism as well. Okay, so we’re owned by an oil state with a frankly f**ked up human rights record. But at least it’s not a Russian oligarch trying to make himself visible enough to survive Putin’s wrath, or Mike Ashley, or Qatar.

What were City’s principles, anyway? Being vaguely cool in the 1960s? Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? Losing all the f**king time?

Sure, I spent a season pretty conflicted about what we’d become, and a few more telling myself to enjoy it because it’d surely be gone soon, but now I’m as entitled and contemptuous of the relegation fodder we’re forced to play as any United or Liverpool fan.

Does the European Super League hurt? In comparison to being in the third tier while our twat neighbours won a f**king treble? Nah. Do I care if we never play Dinamo Zagreb again? Do I bollocks.

It’s only a soul. Look at all these shiny trophies

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:11 pm 

Chelsea have jumped from it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:21 pm 

ESL general secretary with this... I don't know what to call it really, but "yes, that's the fucking point" comes to mind
Quote:
Laghari said there was “real frustration” among the billionaire owners of Europe’s biggest clubs over the unpredictability of the games’s current “unstable system” based on a club’s results in the Champions League. “A manager makes a three-year plan but he can have a difference of several hundred million euros depending on his results,” he added.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:02 pm 

City reported to be out, ditto Barca and Atletico.

Ed Woodward has just resigned as well.

Mike Keegan
@MikeKeegan_DM
As first reported by @MartinLipton City are out. Club declined to comment for legal reasons. Sources say letter to enact withdrawal has been sent. Cannot underestimate impact backlash had. Would imagine there'll be an inquest into why they signed up in the first place.
7:37 PM · Apr 20, 2021

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:24 pm 

Well this is shit isn't it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:16 pm 

Quote:
Tweet
Aymeric Laporte
@Laporte
·
28m
That was quick lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:02 pm 

What a pile of shit. There are a few people who have disgraced themselves with this little misadventure that I don’t ever want to hear from again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:06 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
What a pile of shit. There are a few people who have disgraced themselves with this little misadventure that I don’t ever want to hear from again.

Ed Woodward. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:57 am 

Yeah he heads the list.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:04 pm 

Perez apparently complaining that "a team from Manchester" set all the English teams off. Not brilliant that we went along with it in the first place, but i'll take any positive from this that i can.

Quote:
One team ‘didn’t seem so interested and that spread to the rest’
Madrid president understood to be referencing Manchester City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:56 pm 

I read that, begs the question why we still went along with it? It’s not like it could ever have claimed to be all the best clubs in Europe with Bayern and PSG taking a stand. But yeah I’ll take it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:57 pm 

If it's happening is it better to be in it or not, I guess. Seeing as FFP felt like UEFA trying to lock us out of the champions league, I can see why they'd want to be in from the start.

emailed statement contains this

Quote:
As always, when we make choices and decisions, we do so with the best interests of the Club in mind and we believed that being part of such an initiative could give us a voice that might be imperative to our future ability to succeed and grow.

However, in making that choice we failed to remind ourselves of the unbreakable link between the passion of our fans and the right to have the opportunity to earn success. It is a truth that is fundamental to the DNA of Manchester City and the Board deeply regrets taking a decision that lost sight of the historic values of the Club. We made a mistake and we sincerely apologise to our fans for the disappointment, frustration and anguish caused by the last 72 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:21 pm 

Glad that that has failed.
I understand that if it had happened it was better to be in than out, but it seems that that was the main reason we joined, , none too enthusiastically it seems.
After67 years supporting City, couldn’t support a league where it didn’t matter if you won anything or not. I wasn’t one of the 8000, believer in Joe and Malcolm, ging to Wembley in 1969 and 81, going to York and Macclesfield etc etc for that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:28 am 

Well what a funny week it's been.
Never thought I'd be ashamed of the club I love.
We supposedly the reluctant ones to join last in and first out..
But that's no excuse, bit of repair needs to be done by the owners now..