Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: European super league
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:45 am 

ENGLAND’S five biggest clubs have held secret talks about a new European Super League.

Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City and Liverpool all met with American billionaire Stephen Ross at London’s Dorchester Hotel on Tuesday.

Old Trafford executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck, Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis, City’s chief executive Ferran Soriano and Liverpool’s Ian Ayre ALL emerged smiling and shaking hands after the clandestine meeting.

Ross’ plans are the biggest threat to the English game since the Premier League breakaway in 1992 — and would spell the end of Uefa’s Champions League.

Ross, the owner of the Miami Dolphins and brains behind the International Champions Cup, invited the big five to the lengthy and detailed talks at the hotel on Park Lane.

The new competition would see the English elite join with top clubs round Europe and cut out the risks of them missing out on Champions League millions every season if they fail to qualify.

That would benefit the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool, who fear missing out this season with Leicester and Spurs - conspicuous by their apparent absence - currently filling the top two slots.

United face the loss of vast revenue as they are set to miss out on the Champions League for the second time in three seasons.

Liverpool are also enthusiastic about the idea as they are a global name but have not been in the elite competition too often recently - just once since 2010 while Chelsea’s balance sheet needs top-tier European football.

Arsenal and City would not want to miss out on a huge cash windfall either and if Ross can set up the European Super League it would be the end of UEFA’s competition and be one of the biggest breakaways in

Ross hopes to have an agreement to launch the league shortly. The veteran wheeler dealer Ross would guarantee even more money for England’s top clubs and take away the fear of failing to qualify.

American real estate developer Ross, who has a net worth of more than £3billion, has been involved in the International Champions Cup in America, China and Australia, with a contacts book to put others to shame.

TV deals would be massive for the invited clubs and reach wide audiences, with the American and Chinese interest in Europe’s top clubs still growing.

The ICC was his creation and has been a runaway success. Crowds in America reached record levels and TV audiences were big worldwide.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:22 am 

No. There's enough leagues and cups as is. No.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:09 pm 

Don't read the Sun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:51 am 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
Don't read the Sun

Scousers :lol: :lol: :lol: