Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:23 am 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/06/manchester-city-face-49m-fine-wage-cap-financial-fair-play

Quote:

Manchester City face £49m fine and wage cap for financial fair play breach

• Champions League squad could be reduced to 21 players
• Uefa set to sanction several clubs over FFP
theguardian.com, Tuesday 6 May 2014 11.04 BST

Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour, right, has overseen vast spending at the club which now appears to have landed them in breach of Uefa FFP rules. Photograph: Martin Rickett/PA Archive/Press Association Ima

Manchester City are facing Uefa sanctions for breaching financial fair play rules which would see the club limited to a 21-man Champions League squad instead of the usual 25 players next season, it can be disclosed.

City, who are still strongly challenging the settlement offer from Uefa, are also facing a fine in the region of 60million euro (£49million) over three years, and a cap imposed for next season to ensure there is no rise on this season's Champions League A squad wage bill.

The reduction in the size of the Champions League squad to 21 would potentially hit the club hardest, and City would also have to ensure that there are still eight locally-trained players in that A squad.

Press Association Sport understands the sanctions are very similar to those being handed to Paris Saint Germain - the two clubs are among nine European sides being dealt with by Uefa's club financial control board (CFCB) for FFP breaches.

City have until the end of the week to reach an agreement with Uefa over the sanctions - but it is understood they are the club furthest away from reaching any final settlement.

If no agreement is reached City face the prospect of the case being handed to a panel for a non-negotiable decision.

Neither City nor Uefa would comment but it is understood the Manchester club have been negotiating forcefully for a significant reduction in that sanction but have been struggling to make progress.

The risk, however, is that if they are unable to agree a deal with Uefa then they could face even stiffer sanctions from the CFCB's adjudicatory panel.

No club is expected to be excluded from the Champions League for breaching the spending limits, the maximum possible sanction - UEFA president Michel Platini said last month he does not envisage that to happen.

Both Manchester City and Paris St Germain are believed to have fallen foul of the FFP rules with sponsorship deals related to each clubs' owners.

Abu Dhabi-owned City have a £40million a year deal with Etihad airways, while Qatar-owned PSG have a back-dated deal with the Qatar Tourist Authority (QTA) which is worth up to 200 million euros (£165million) a year.

French newspaper L'Equipe has reported that Uefa has ruled the QTA deal should only be valued at half that sum.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:35 am 

this is fucking ridiculous, it's not even the money that is an insult - it's the reduction of the playing squad

fight the bastards every step of the way

or better yet - apply these fucking rules backwards and see how real Madrid and barca and the scum get on

bastards

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:14 pm 

The sheiks lawyers > Uefa's

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:31 pm 

No European sanction?

I'm glad, but it's basically UEFA wanting their cut of all this money that's flying around. Corrupt twats.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:41 pm 

Laughable. UEFA has brought this upon itself. Plus all the other organisations crying foul.
They wanted more money and a higher profile, so more money (Sky, Champions League etc) was poured into it and marketing and football as a product rocketed.
So inevitably it attracts proper big businessmen, with whom your local butcher cannot compete.
Businessmen see a market with gains to be made and will invest. A loss initially is inevitable. But businessmen know and accept this.
The issue with all the football organisations is, is that they in a way invited big business, but are now trying to tell the big boys what to do.
City's owners are not appearing to accept this and it is clearly their right to do so. They have bought in to the market, invested and expect to have a say and influence.
So what do we have? An old fashioned gentlemens club of amateurs, small businessmen and an ex-France international footballer, trying to control a large and profitable market. They can't admit, nor face the fact, that proper businessmen (no matter what people think of them and how they have made their money) with massive financial clout are here to stay. It wont be pretty if City along with others choose to take on the governing bodies in the courts.
There is a large risk of the governing bodies losing control and it could be very important in deciding where the future of football lies.
Idiots

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:59 pm 

Where's Darlo when you need him. His legal mind should sort this out in no time. What a load of dog shit in any case. Let's hope City don't take this on the chin.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:25 pm 

Sheik mansour will have to dip into the jar on top of the fridge to pay the fine, the bastards.

but it is a joke, and i agree that we fight this..

Or give em a nice little butty, everybody in uefa and fifa love a backhander.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:57 pm 

What frank and coods said.

It's BS, especially as the debt is zero. If mansour walks away, the club is still fine.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:18 am 

Not a bad articlen

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... z3113PqFze

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:27 pm 

Gobby wrote:

I'm going to hold my tongue about this FFP thing from now on until more is known, but for balance on that article (mainly because Oliver Holt is a tit) here's an excerpt from today's Mediawatch:

The Best Of Football
Mediawatch was under the impression that Manchester City flouting FFP regulations was A Bad Thing, but Oliver Holt adopts an interesting interpretation in the Daily Mirror. Under the headline 'Ignored by the nation and hounded by UEFA...Pelle's heroes deserve much, much better', Holt essentially complains that UEFA should give City a break because they play wonderful football.

'Even now Liverpool and Chelsea have faded from the picture, still the headlines are not about City's excellence,' writes Holt, forgetting that 'faded' Liverpool are top of the Premier League and so obviously still a huge story - one he has covered in far more depth than the City side he now eulogises.

'Instead, it's about the estimated £49million fine UEFA are set to attempt to impose on them for breaching Financial Fair Play regulations.

'Something is wrong with FFP if it punishes a regime that is pouring millions into the regeneration of a deprived area of East Manchester.

'Nobody is suggesting Sheikh Mansour and his cohorts are driven by altruism but whatever their motives, it is hard not to admire much of what is happening at City.'

Talk about conflating the numerous issues involved. Firstly, the current headlines relating to City are obviously going to focus on their £49m fine because, well, that's a pretty big deal. And that £49m fine has nothing to do with the club's 'regeneration of a deprived area of East Manchester' - City could easily invest in the area and avoid UEFA punishment.

It's about spunking millions on new players and their enormous wages, profiting from artificially inflated sponsorship deals, and what that means for the nature of competition.

'That is the problem with FFP,' Holt continues. 'It enshrines the principle that might is right, big equals good. It seeks the perpetuate the hegemony of the clubs with the most supporters and the most revenue. There is no fantasy about it.'

Seemingly there is a fantasy about City's rags-to-riches story, however, which Holt claims 'represents the dream of every downtrodden club, every poor relation, that one day it can be propelled to the top'.

Except, of course, it doesn't. Holt might argue that UEFA 'distrust the rise of smaller clubs', but City were hardly minnows before Thaksin Shinawatra and then Sheikh Mansour decided to invest. There is nothing about City's story to inspire downtrodden provincial clubs such as Burnley or Scunthorpe, and anyway, if dreaming of winning the lottery is your only hope of sticking it to the big boys, that's hardly the glorious fairytale Holt is trying to paint.

Yes, City play some fantastic football, and Mediawatch has hugely enjoyed watching them this season. But if they win the league it will not be a 'triumph for a team that represents the best of football'. It will be a triumph for football's equivalent of a get-rich-quick scheme.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:00 pm 

Well shit...

The head of FFP and the person who was negotiating with City on behalf of UEFA, has just died after a fall in France

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:16 pm 

Did he fall down cos his head had been chopped off by an arab with a large scimitar?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:03 pm 

shouldn't that be a "fall"

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:10 pm 

MCFC Financial Fair Play Statement:

Manchester City Football Club can confirm that at the end of the current financial year (May 31st) it is on course to financially break even, as planned.

Operating with no debt, the Club is realising its football and commercial opportunities whilst continuing unprecedented investments in both youth development and the local community

From the outset, the Club has engaged with UEFA in its introduction of the Financial Fair Play Regulations in good faith and without prejudice and in a transparent and collaborative manner. The Club’s position is that it is beholden upon UEFA and the European football establishment to ensure the same.

The Club can confirm that it has been in discussions with UEFA over the last month - in relation to the application of Financial Fair Play regulations - as has been widely reported and communicated by UEFA. At the heart of those discussions is a fundamental disagreement between the Club’s and UEFA’s respective interpretations of the FFP regulations on players purchased before 2010. The Club believes it has complied with the FFP regulations on this and all other matters.

In normal circumstances, the Club would wish to pursue its case and present its position through every avenue of recourse. However, our decision to do so must be balanced against the practical realities for our fans, for our partners and in the interests of the commercial operations of the Club.

As a result of these considerations and the fact that the Club is now break even in in its operations, the Club has decided to enter into a compromise agreement with UEFA with the following practical outcomes:

- MCFC will lose 10m Euros of its share of income from UEFA for competing in the Champions League completion in season 2013-14.
- MCFC will lose 10m Euros of its share of income from UEFA for competing in the Champions League for season 2014-15
- Rather than having an accumulative allowance of 30m Euros of losses over the next two reporting years (like all other clubs), MCFC will have specific stipulated allowances for 2013-14 and 2014-15 of 20m Euros and 10m Euros respectively. Significantly, MCFC plans to be profitable in 2014-15 and in the years that follow.
- The MCFC Champions League squad for the 2014-15 competition will be limited to 21 players. In 2013-14 the club registered 23 players for the competition and used 21.
- The Club’s expenditure on new players for the upcoming summer transfer window, on top of income from players it might sell, will be limited to 60m euros. This will have no material impact on the Club’s planned transfer activity.
- The wage bill of the whole club (playing and non-playing staff) for 2014-15 will need to remain at the same level as that of 2013-14 season. It is important to note that additional bonuses for performances can be paid outside this number. Importantly, in reality, the existing MCFC business plan sees a natural decline in that wage bill.
- Given the unique nature of the new City Football Group structure – which incorporates MCFC, New York City, Melbourne Heart and a number of other companies, the Club has agreed to certain non-material terms in order to make FFP reporting as easy as possible for UEFA to discern.

The nature of conditions that will result in the lifting of sanctions means that the Club expects to be operating without sanction or restriction at the commencement of the 2015-16 season.

Importantly all non-financial sanctions agreed to would have been complied with as a natural course of the Club’s planned business operations.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:54 pm 

Well, that's shite.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:23 pm 

That's pretty lightweight tbf. €10m/season fine for the next two seasons, summer transfer spend limited to €60m plus money from sales, and a limit of 21 players for the "A squad" in the CL. ( :confused: ) It's pretty much fuck all of a punishment.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:48 am 

Bastard wrote:
That's pretty lightweight tbf. €10m/season fine for the next two seasons, summer transfer spend limited to €60m plus money from sales, and a limit of 21 players for the "A squad" in the CL. ( :confused: ) It's pretty much fuck all of a punishment.

i agree mate..
i don't think 21 for the cl is that bad, as it will be the main lads pretty much with no boyata or the like to pad it out.
and the fine is nowt and 60 mil plus sales is alright, we have a wicked core of players..lescott is gonna go, barry, micah, rodwell maybe, and we will be looking to bring the centre back mangala and his porto mate fernado, we have open talks already with them, and corn row from arsenal looks to be nailed on..
do we need much more..?

So they said 48 million fine boss..

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:23 pm 

We will need the likes of Boyatta because we need 6 homegrowns in the Squad ie Joe and Jimmy and 6 little lads.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:36 pm 

Clichy qualifies as homegrown, as does Marcos Lopes. Might see Rekik or Hughes in there too. Plus whoever we buy in the summer...

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:36 pm 

Clichy qualifies as homegrown, as does Marcos Lopes. Might see Rekik or Hughes in there too. Plus whoever we buy in the summer...