Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: FFP - City targeted
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm 

And so the fun starts:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -fair-play

Manchester City are believed to be among 76 clubs in European competition this season – about one third of the total – being investigated for possible breaches of Uefa's financial fair play rules. Paris Saint-Germain are also thought to be involved.

The 76 clubs all failed Uefa's break-even calculations for 2012 and have been asked to provide financial information for 2013.

They will all now have their finances assessed by the club financial control body to see if the breaches have continued and whether sanctions should apply.

The Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino said: "This figure of 76 clubs is a high figure but it has to be looked at in the perspective of what the end figure will be."

Clubs face a range of sanctions ranging from a warning or a fine up to being forced to play in Europe with a salary cap on the squad, or even being barred from competing and having trophies stripped.

The sanctions will apply from the start of next season but in April Uefa will name the clubs who are facing possible action.

Among English clubs, Manchester City would have the most to fear having returned losses of £97.9m in 2012 and £51.6m last year.

Chelsea made a £49.4m loss last year but actually made a £1.4m profit in 2012 so may escape any action.

-------------------------------------------
http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -fair-play

UEFA has pledged to defend legal challenges it expects some major football clubs to make if sanctions are imposed on them for breaches of the financial fair play rules. Clubs in European competition are required to limit their financial losses to €45m in total over 2011-12 and 2012-13 and this limit will be enforced for the first time before the beginning of next season. Clubs in breach of the rules, introduced to encourage European clubs to be more financially responsible, face sanctions ranging from a fine to exclusion from European competition in the most serious cases.

Uefa's general secretary, Gianni Infantino, revealed that 76 clubs, almost a third of the total 237 involved in European competition, were being investigated for possible breaches of the rules, including making substantial losses, based on their 2011-12 accounts. Manchester City, who lost £98m in that year, bankrolled by Sheikh Mansour of Abu Dhabi, are thought to be included in the 76, as well as Paris Saint-Germain, who are now making significant losses bankrolled by the club's owners, a division of the state of Qatar.

Clubs' accounts for 2012-13 have mostly been submitted to Uefa now, and are being investigated. Minor cases will be decided by late April, Infantino said, and final decisions in all cases by mid-June. Alasdair Bell, Uefa's legal affairs director, said he expects legal challenges to be made by clubs on whom sanctions are imposed and maintained that Uefa will fight them. "We are not afraid of [Uefa decisions] being contested," Bell said. "We fully anticipate there will be challenges – it would be strange if there weren't. July and August could be a busy time."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They never bothered when the likes of Parma, Fiorentina, Leeds, Portsmouth, Luton, Rangers etc started spending beyond their means.
They happily stood on the sidelines and watched those clubs end up in a financial mess.

Post subject: Re: FFP - City targeted
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:06 pm 

Meh. £500m stadium deal, £200m shirt deal. End of.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:01 pm 

probably cheaper to take out contracts on platini and every other fuck involved in pushing FFP through.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:33 pm 

Just start our own Chumps League with bigger prized money and better coverage then and fuck UEFA and it's stupid "The Champions" anthem right off. :approve:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:44 pm 

now that could work. a sort of rule free competition, spend as much as your oligarch owner can afford sort of thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:25 pm 

Interesting test of UEFA'a nads this.

Nothing will happen though, obvs. Probably take them three or four years to do the investigations.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:25 pm 

I very much doubt they can make the so-called FFP rules stick when they get challenged in court. There is no-way a court will recognise rules restricting investment in a business.

The whole FFP bollocks is akin to trying to set-up a monopoly........ or maybe a 'fewopoly' , where the elite few have a set of rules restricting the ability of others to invest and get their share of the business. It's doomed to failure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:53 pm 

the murdering rat-eating cunts made a loss of £52million in the last financial results that were posted. I don't think they want any english teams in europe at this rate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:32 pm 

Khabom wrote:
I very much doubt they can make the so-called FFP rules stick when they get challenged in court. There is no-way a court will recognise rules restricting investment in a business.

The whole FFP bollocks is akin to trying to set-up a monopoly........ or maybe a 'fewopoly' , where the elite few have a set of rules restricting the ability of others to invest and get their share of the business. It's doomed to failure.

It'll become a licensed league. You play by the rules and you get a license to play. Break the rules and you lose your license. It then becomes less of an issue of the laws of the land and more about entry requirements for a special members club. That'll fuck everyone right over.

On the plus side, QPR will never kick a ball again....

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:07 am 

Just seen something there, seems our squad will be reduced to 21 in the CL next season.

Also fined £50 million

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:54 am 

Gallagheresque wrote:
Just seen something there, seems our squad will be reduced to 21 in the CL next season.

Also fined £50 million

I thought the whole intention of FFP was to try and make sure clubs don't operate with huge financial losses. So how does a 50m fine help this cause? Does the fine count as an expenditure?

Fucking ridiculous, the whole thing. :hand:

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:18 am 

£50m fine is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Companies have been found guilty of corporate manslaughter and been fined less.

I bet there will be fuckwit scoucers clambering for us to be deducted points too.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:33 am 

It seems odd that they should ask clubs to improve their finances by making them spend more. it seems that this fine is to be paid over three seasons. Presumably they think this is more manageable at 17M per year.

The club could easily play with a reduced squad. The punishment here is by destabilising the players. Players who come will want a guarantee that they will be in that squad and those already at the club will not be amused if they are left out.

That is a bigger problem than a few bob out of the Sheikh's back pocket.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:47 am 

Apart from the obviously perverse nature of fining a club £50m for spending too much which is a bit like making a drunk driver do a Neknominate, I would be fascinated to know what UEFA intend to do with the money?

Good causes no doubt.
Maybe a bit like the UCI with the money that Lance Armstrong gave them to buy drug testing equipment that mysteriously never got bought.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:10 pm 

Jesus O'Nazareth wrote:
I would be fascinated to know what UEFA intend to do with the money?

Good causes no doubt.

Maybe Jack Warner needs someone to buy him a new football.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:22 pm 

Being done over again it seems.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ng-9556532

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:26 am 

Were now free to do what the fuck we like.!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:56 pm 

Our lawyers >>>>>>UEFA's lawyers. :TopHat2