Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Big Phil
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:43 am 

Rumor mill in full swing, so it would seem!!

Manchester City have made the first moves to appoint Luiz Felipe Scolari as their next manager.

BBC Sport understands contact has now been made between City and Portugal coach Scolari's representatives in a bid to bring him to Eastlands.

City will sack current boss Sven-Goran Eriksson at the end of the season.

Scolari, 59, is believed to be interested in succeeding Eriksson but owner Thaksin Shinawatra is still not certain he will land the Brazilian.

Thaksin is believed to want a swift answer from Scolari, with a deal worth a reported £3.2m-a-year ready to be rubber-stamped, but any moves could yet be held up by his commitments to Portugal at Euro 2008.

He has also previously been reluctant to uproot his family from Portugal and cited intrusion into his private life as one of the reasons he rejected the chance to succeed Eriksson as England coach in 2006.

Scolari has two sons who are being educated in Portugal but Thaksin wants to tempt him to the Premier League with a huge financial offer.

City fans have reacted angrily to Eriksson's imminent departure and Thaksin hopes to head off further unrest with a quick announcement that he has captured the man who won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:47 am 

Hmmm....

Could things be getting serious or is it all rumours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:48 am 

i have it on reasonable ground that our next manager will in fact be big bird from sesame street. apparently they have the same lawyer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:49 am 

iownagoater wrote:
i have it on reasonable ground that our next manager will in fact be big bird from sesame street. apparently they have the same lawyer!

Glasd we've cleared that one up. Will he get us into Europe? Will Elmo be the kit man? Who will be the mascot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:51 am 

slart wrote:
Glasd we've cleared that one up. Will he get us into Europe? Will Elmo be the kit man? Who will be the mascot?

Cookie monster?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:51 am 

If thats the case, will we be signing the Count as center forward?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:53 am 

I really don't see what Big Phil is going to give us that we don't already have. Plus he's said himself that their will be no decisions until after the Euro's which is exactly what he said before the World Cup when the FA made a complete balls up of his appointment.

We don't need Scolari, we don't need to be in a state of limbo until the end of June, we certainly don't need to be suddenly left out in the cold with no manager and players handing in transfer requests like there's no tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:53 am 

Bert and Ernie as assistant managers hahahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:54 am 

If this is true, again shocking city PR

Reports in Portugal are suggesting that Luiz Felipe Scolari could be in line to become the new boss at Manchester City.

The current occupant of the hotseat at Eastlands, Sven Goran Eriksson, looks likely to be relieved of his duties over the summer and the Portuguese national team coach is now a strong contender to replace him.

Eriksson has led City to a top-half finish in the Premier League, but despite loyal backing from the club's players and supporters, his achievements may not be enough to save his job.

"I don't know whether the players felt they had a point to prove to the owner or anyone else in the game at Liverpool (on Sunday) but what I would say is that myself, the coaching staff and everyone who works at the Carrington training ground are a close unit and it has always been like that and I'm very proud of them and what we have achieved," the City boss told the Manchester Evening News.

Scolari is understood to have been offered a deal which is substantially higher than his current contract with Portugal, and the World Cup winning coach has refused to rule out the possibility of returning to club management after this summer's European Championship.

"I'll speak about my future after Euro 2008," he has been quoted as saying.

Speculation

Despite his position at City becoming increasingly untenable, Eriksson insists that he remains focused on picking up three points in the club's final game of the season at Middlesbrough this weekend.

"This is not the toughest time I have had in football," he said.

"Speculation in football whether it is to do with managers, players, business or politics is always there amongst fans today.

"All I want to see is another City win at Middlesbrough next Sunday then it is the time for talking. I think it is always important in my job to behave in a proper way.

"Maybe people think I haven't always done that but there are always excuses to behave badly if you choose to and I don't."

Meanwhile, City have received £350,000 from West Brom after the Baggies' promotion triggered a clause in the deal which took Ishmael Miller to the Hawthorns during the January transfer window.

Nice that about Miller though!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:02 am 

Barna Azul wrote:
If thats the case, will we be signing the Count as center forward?

so berbatov then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:10 am 

This is turning into a fucking farce. Why would Big Phil want to take a job with a club that doesn't have Euro footy, doesn't have a big piggy bank for purchases next season (see Frank's programme notes from the last game) and boots out perfectly good managers who meet their targets but fail to bow to the chairman's wishes to interfere in team selection, style of play and purchases and sales of players?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:12 am 

*rants*

I'm thoroughly bored of all this now. In a few weeks I'll be 39, even so I'm still a bit too young to remember any success at City. All I can remember is crap chairmen, crappier managers and woeful players Relegation battles, relegation, promotion, relegation again, managerial merry-go-rounds, disastrous signings, false dawns and the light at the end of the tunnel being turned on and off like a fucking strobe light.

Although I like most were cautious over Franks takeover, it was starting to feel that we were moving in the right direction at last and that given time we'd start having success, but no, another false dawn and another fucking mess, yet again the laughing stock of the league.

I'm fucking sick of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:12 am 

Maybe he can entice some other brazillians into our squad. Thats about the only positive thing i can see out of him being our manager over sven.

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:20 am 

Miggs V3 wrote:
Maybe he can entice some other brazillians into our squad. Thats about the only positive thing i can see out of him being our manager over sven.

I'd have though Sven being good pals with the current Brazil coach Dunga whould give us more pulling power than Scolari.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:30 am 

RTE (Irish TV) have a Premiership programme on Saturday evenings. Ronnie Whelan and Trevor Steven were asked about Sven's sacking. Whenlan called it the bigest joke of the season. Steven said he had spoken to peolple he knew at City and said Sven's departure was rooted in his unwillingness to let Frank interfere directly in the team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:36 am 

Perhaps Scolari is just using this to see what possible offers he could attract from elsewhere? It's been done before.
City will then end up getting someone like McClown, as he has not a clue and will be happy to take advice from elsewhere.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:37 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
Perhaps Scolari is just using this to see what possible offers he could attract from elsewhere? It's been done before.
City will then end up getting someone like McClown, as he has not a clue and will be happy to take advice from elsewhere.

This possibility genuinely frightens me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:41 am 

slart wrote:
RTE (Irish TV) have a Premiership programme on Saturday evenings. Ronnie Whelan and Trevor Steven were asked about Sven's sacking. Whenlan called it the bigest joke of the season. Steven said he had spoken to peolple he knew at City and said Sven's departure was rooted in his unwillingness to let Frank interfere directly in the team.

Well if Sven was 'unwilling' as reported to let Frank sell Micah to the rags to fund a move for a fat goofy Brazilian then he's a better man than me. I;d have C'd Frank in the B with a rather large twatting stick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:42 am 

ESM wrote:
Well if Sven was 'unwilling' as reported to let Frank sell Micah to the rags to fund a move for a fat goofy Brazilian then he's a better man than me. I;d have C'd Frank in the B with a rather large twatting stick.

why hold back? go for it anyway!
:D

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:50 am 

all of this is settling over me like a warm, comfortable blanket - When it looked like we were actually being run properly there was always a little voice in my head saying

'you know you want to go back to the old days when it was a shambles'

it just feels right

Aguero