Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:57 pm 

Benny wrote:
For me I think it boils down like this:

1-keep Sven
2-frank gas a top drawer replacement in the bag (this could well be better than 1)
3-we've got rid of Sven and no-one else has agreed to take over. This scares me loads,prolly cos I'm worried it'll be mcclown or someone like that. I don't mind frank exploring his options-it is after all his money, but I fear for us getting some 3rd rate numpty. If Sven goes and is replaced with someone world class I'll be all kinds of content. It's harsh on Sven but that's business.

But we need stability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:01 pm 

Gary Owen was saying on Century earlier that he'd been talking quite a bit with Hans Backe over the last few weeks. Apparently all their summer transfers are lined up and ready to go

Kind of seems a shame if Sven goes and we never get to see what would have happened.

He also said he knows for a fact that Sven will have to be sacked for him to leave the club.

Watch this space: http://www.goatse.cz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:10 pm 

King of the North Stand wrote:
I think he's waiting to see what Scolari says. If Scolari turns us down then i think he'll keep Sven.

Totally agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:14 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Gary Owen was saying on Century earlier that he'd been talking quite a bit with Hans Backe over the last few weeks. Apparently all their summer transfers are lined up and ready to go

Kind of seems a shame if Sven goes and we never get to see what would have happened.

He also said he knows for a fact that Sven will have to be sacked for him to leave the club.

Watch this space: http://www.goatse.cz

You're a bad, bad man. That's why you have complete control of dungeon refurbishment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:16 pm 

alera wrote:
Thats what I am hoping. I think he has been surprised by the backlash from the fans and press.......

Scolari wont give an answer until after the european championships we all know and even frank knows this is no good for us. We will loose decent players and miss out on our top targets. I just cant see him taking the job, if he turned down the england job for even more money why come to us. He is probably trying to flush out a top club job in Portugal or Spain so there is not as much distruption to his family - Maybe Barca or a top side in Portugal ?

I see alot of similarties to what happened with Jol at Tottenham and with Benitez at Liverpool, basically them sounding out other managers and getting caught.

Question is will sven stay if he is asked to ? At least we wont have to pay him off...

Probably he will stay in Portugal because he has two sons that are studying in Portugal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:19 pm 

Bastard wrote:
In the great algebra of football speculation does Scolari = Ronaldinho?

Maybe, everything is possible with Dr Thaksin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:22 pm 

Squidge wrote:
But we need stability.

I do kind of agree with you, but I also know business (not football at all, but business, yeah). Good companies go on and on being good. Great companies undergo huge upheavals to get there-It's not too difficult for a great company to stay great, but it takes a lot of change and upheaval for a good company to become a great great company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:24 pm 

Benny wrote:
For me I think it boils down like this:

1-keep Sven
2-frank gas a top drawer replacement in the bag (this could well be better than 1)
3-we've got rid of Sven and no-one else has agreed to take over. This scares me loads,prolly cos I'm worried it'll be mcclown or someone like that. I don't mind frank exploring his options-it is after all his money, but I fear for us getting some 3rd rate numpty. If Sven goes and is replaced with someone world class I'll be all kinds of content. It's harsh on Sven but that's business.

True, but there are some businessmen who understand what they have to do and what is their job. Such as Ramon Calderon Real Madrid's chairman, or even Massimo Moratti Inter Milan's chairman. We can't compare these two chairmen with our Frank, at less they have some knowledge about football. In addition they know when they need to replace the manager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:25 pm 

Benny wrote:
I do kind of agree with you, but I also know business (not football at all, but business, yeah). Good companies go on and on being good. Great companies undergo huge upheavals to get there-It's not too difficult for a great company to stay great, but it takes a lot of change and upheaval for a good company to become a great great company.

Edit/Addition: It's also very rare. There aren't too many company's who have crossed the good to great line. Your Microsofts/Apples/Intels have always been "great " (they are your Chelsea analogy). It takes a real trick to cross the border. I think the analogy works here-I guess it would take something like a special academy, and to build from that to cross the boundary in football. :whistles:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:27 pm 

MCFC_Boss wrote:
True, but there are some businessmen who understand what they have to do and what is their job. Such as Ramon Calderon Real Madrid's chairman, or even Massimo Moratti Inter Milan's chairman. We can't compare these two chairmen with our Frank, at less they have some knowledge about football. In addition they know when they need to replace the manager.

Hmmmmm. This would be the Real Madrid Chariman who sacked his manager after winning the champion's league? Calderon has to be one of the loosest cannons in football...

Nope, that would be my mistake for having the wrong chairman, apologies (I'll leave my numptism there for all to see!).

Still, This is a man who wants to be involved in the team selection, or for sure the transfer policy (from wiki):

Calderon was elected President of Real in 2 July 2006, winning the elections with 8,344 votes whilst Juan Palacios was second with 8,098. After discussions with his football director, Predrag Mijatovic, Calderon hired Fabio Capello as club manager, after initially considering Bernd Schuster, the manager of Getafe. [1]

Amongst his promises when running for election was the signing of Arjen Robben from Chelsea, Cesc Fàbregas from Arsenal and Kaká from AC Milan. Despite denials from the respective clubs, Calderón remains confident that these transfers will be successful, downplaying the accusations of illegal approach from the clubs in question.

On 19 July 2006 he announced his first two signings, Fabio Cannavaro and Emerson; both signed from newly demoted Juventus for an estimated €20 million.

He later signed Ruud van Nistelrooy from Manchester United and Mahamadou Diarra from Olympique Lyon. A year long loan swap deal was also concluded with José Antonio Reyes from Arsenal moving to Real Madrid in exchange for Júlio Baptista.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:31 pm 

Benny wrote:
Hmmmmm. This would be the Real Madrid Chariman who sacked his manager after winning the champion's league? Calderon has to be one of the loosest cannons in football...

At less now he wants Bernd Schuster to continue his job for next season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:32 pm 

MCFC_Boss wrote:
At less now he wants Bernd Schuster to continue his job for next season.

My retraction is ^^^^. But he has to be one of the most "involved" chairmen in football-and we're accusing Frank of that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:36 pm 

Benny wrote:
My retraction is ^^^^. But he has to be one of the most "involved" chairmen in football-and we're accusing Frank of that...

Anyway, I think Roman Calderon is much better than Frank. At less he knows what kind of players that he needs, in addition he picks the right mangers despite the firing issue that he has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:37 pm 

Let's see what Franky is capable of, can he reaches the successful of Ramon Calderon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:39 pm 

MCFC_Boss wrote:
Anyway, I think Roman Calderon is much better than Frank. At less he knows what kind of players that he needs, in addition he picks the right mangers despite the firing issue that he has.

And how do you qualify your experience of how Frank is as a chairman? Currently he has sacked no-one. It's all hearsay. Even if he does sack Sven how can you say he has a worse record than Ramon-he hasn't appointed anyone yet. You're all too keen to hang the guy, and you have no evidence on which to do it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:41 pm 

MCFC_Boss wrote:
Let's see what Franky is capable of, can he reaches the successful of Ramon Calderon

Exactly. But you are chastising him now, without giving him any chance to do what calderon has done. How would you feel if your boss said you were shit before you'd even started work-that's exactly what you're doing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:43 pm 
MCFC_Boss wrote:

This is a joke, right? There is no way anyone can compare City with Madrid for so many reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:44 pm 

Benny wrote:
And how do you qualify your experience of how Frank is as a chairman? Currently he has sacked no-one. It's all hearsay. Even if he does sack Sven how can you say he has a worse record than Ramon-he hasn't appointed anyone yet. You're all too keen to hang the guy, and you have no evidence on which to do it yet.

OK, probably there is some misunderstanding. Because I'm talking about if he fires sven, what will happen to the players that sven bought, and would he get a world class manger that's better than sven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:51 pm 

Emigre wrote:
This is a joke, right? There is no way anyone can compare City with Madrid for so many reasons.

That's true, Real have the money and we have it too. We aren't comparing the history or the achievement of each club. I'm talking how Dr Thaksin will control the club if he fires sven.

Calderon fired Capello, and brought Bernd Schuster who showed that he is capable of winning the LA league too.

Anyway, this forum is not about Real Madrid and their history. I think if Frank fires sven and brings a new manager do you he will achieve sven success in one season??, or even achieves a european spot??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:52 pm 

MCFC_Boss wrote:
OK, probably there is some misunderstanding. Because I'm talking about if he fires sven, what will happen to the players that sven bought, and would he get a world class manger that's better than sven.

Well that's all open to question and nothing is decided. If history is a guide it would suggest that the players will NOT leave the club because the manager has gone (if anyone can supply an example where this has happened I'm open to it, but I can't think of one). If Thanksin gets a manager who is less able than Sven then he has made a mistake, but that will be (and has to be) judged on results. So A position >9th would be a successful appointment. It may also be worth adding that this is Sven's least successful ever club season-he has never finished outside the top 8 until this year, so we're all getting protective about a man's worst ever performance (yes, I understand where he has come from, and I understand the emotions, but when it comes to records this will go down as his least successful season in his club management history-and we're falling over ourselves to keep him?). I would like to keep Sven and give him a chance, but he has certainly not been an unqualified success, and we have all been frustrated by his refusal to change systems.

Slart loves this cos he hates frank. I don't. I don't mind Slart hating frank but by god has he started every single post about this situation. Perspective is needed here as it always is for a city fan. Frank isn't the pantomime ogre that he's being painted as-do you think he wants city to be shit? Would you if you'd invested your life's work into it?

{/rant}-for fucking now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next