Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:08 pm 

Thaksin Shinawatra has thrown Manchester City into further confusion saying he has not made a decision about Sven-Goran Eriksson's future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:17 pm 
bigdavecox90 wrote:
Thaksin Shinawatra has thrown Manchester City into further confusion saying he has not made a decision about Sven-Goran Eriksson's future.

I don't see that as being further confusion. I see that as being what some of us have been saying for ages.

The papers created the confusion, not Thaksin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:19 pm 

Emigre wrote:
I don't see that as being further confusion. I see that as being what some of us have been saying for ages.

The papers created the confusion, not Thaksin.

It makes it worse for the fans when the papers start stirring stuff all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:21 pm 
bigdavecox90 wrote:
It makes it worse for the fans when the papers start stirring stuff all the time.

It does. They want shooting. Who's with me? Meet me at Wapping tube station. Bring sniper rifles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:23 pm 

Emigre wrote:
It does. They want shooting. Who's with me? Meet me at Wapping tube station. Bring sniper rifles.

Haha.

It is really annoying, cos most of the time it's the papers we have to go by for the news on our club, and when they keep shit-stirring all the time, how the f**k are we sposed to know what's going on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:48 pm 

There's an article missing here isn't there?

Quote:
Thaksin Shinawatra has thrown Manchester City into further confusion by saying he has not made a decision about Sven-Goran Eriksson's future.

BBC Sport understands Eriksson has been told he will be sacked at the end of the season and Luiz Felipe Scolari has been approached as a replacement.

But City owner Thaksin claimed: "We have made no decision. We will do an evaluation at the end of the season."

Portugal coach Scolari is expected to decide his future after Euro 2008.

"Any club who has any interest in Scolari is completely free to contact the coach," Scolari spokesman Acaz Fellegger told Portuguese newspaper Record.

606: DEBATE
Is Scolari the right man for Man City?

"But the truth is that there has been no approach and Scolari has repeatedly stated that his future will only be decided after the Euro tournament."

Thaksin, speaking at a golf tournament in Beijing, would not be drawn on whether the club was interested in the Portugal coach, or former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, who has also been linked with the City post.

"They all - Sven, Scolari, Mourinho - they are great coaches, great managers," he said.

However, he did admit that he had told Eriksson he was unhappy with City's dip in form which saw them fall out of contention for European football.

"During the season, we may complain for improvement but that's normal for every club," said the former Thai prime minister.

"But we will discuss at the end of the season what needs to be changed, what needs to be added to the success of the club."

Despite Thaksin's claims to the contrary, a source close to Eriksson has told BBC Sport that the former England coach will be sacked at the end of the season.

And BBC Sport also understands that contact has already been made between City and Scolari's representatives in a bid to bring him to Eastlands, with a deal worth a reported £3.2m-a-year ready to be rubber-stamped.

Scolari, 59, is believed to be interested in succeeding Eriksson - but wants to wait until after Euro 2008 before making a decision.

Scolari has also previously been reluctant to uproot his family from Portugal and cited intrusion into his private life as one of the reasons he rejected the chance to succeed Eriksson as England coach in 2006.

Thaksin, on the other hand, is thought to want a swift answer from Scolari.

City fans have reacted angrily to Eriksson's imminent departure and Thaksin hopes to head off further unrest with a quick announcement that he has captured the man who won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002.

Despite his treatment at the hands of Shinawatra, Eriksson is willing to lead City on their post-season tour of Thailand and Hong Kong next week, a source close to the Swede has told BBC Sport.

The source said it was "business as usual" for Eriksson and his coaching team and that no further talks were planned with Shinawatra before the end of the season.

If City fail to land Scolari, they are likely to turn their attention to Slaven Bilic, even though he signed a new contract with Croatia last week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:03 pm 

I think he's waiting to see what Scolari says. If Scolari turns us down then i think he'll keep Sven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:15 pm 

King of the North Stand wrote:
I think he's waiting to see what Scolari says. If Scolari turns us down then i think he'll keep Sven.

Yup, sounds about right. he can do that too, he obviously has Sven contracted. Pretty unscrupulous way to do business, but you don't make the sort of money he has without being a bastard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:29 pm 

lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies...there i have said it. the media is the greatest source of evil present in our world today, the only way to sell a paper is to have good news and good news in paper world is bad news because bad news and controversy sells.!!!! there may be some half truth in this all but nothing is decided and anything that comes through is lies at present. sven said they would talk after the season is over and thats what they will do so FUCK OFF MIRROR FUCK OFF RACIST MAIL, FUCK OFF STAR, FUCK OFF EXPRESS, FUCK OFF TELEGRAPH! dont read newspapers!!!!!!!! lets just accept that sven will be in charge for season two. the end!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:31 pm 
iownagoater wrote:
lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies...there i have said it. the media is the greatest source of evil present in our world today, the only way to sell a paper is to have good news and good news in paper world is bad news because bad news and controversy sells.!!!! there may be some half truth in this all but nothing is decided and anything that comes through is lies at present. sven said they would talk after the season is over and thats what they will do so FUCK OFF MIRROR FUCK OFF RACIST MAIL, FUCK OFF STAR, FUCK OFF EXPRESS, FUCK OFF TELEGRAPH! dont read newspapers!!!!!!!! lets just accept that sven will be in charge for season two. the end!

Very true. Where do you keep your Goater by the way. I had one that I kept in the garage but the carbon monoxide killed it. Bloody temperamental these Goaters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:33 pm 

iownagoater wrote:

Whilst i agree with your general point, i think when Sven said lets talk at the end of the season he meant in public...as in now is not the time to clarify anything. The way he was answering questions shows the speculation was right, and you can tell from the way the stories were written. It's easy to tell when a story is nailed on truth because it's written differently. Now, Thaksin may be changing his mind, or be facing unforeseen circumstances, but the stuff in the papers has all been grounded in truth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:35 pm 
Squidge wrote:
Whilst i agree with your general point, i think when Sven said lets talk at the end of the season he meant in public...as in now is not the time to clarify anything. The way he was answering questions shows the speculation was right, and you can tell from the way the stories were written. It's easy to tell when a story is nailed on truth because it's written differently. Now, Thaksin may be changing his mind, or be facing unforeseen circumstances, but the stuff in the papers has all been grounded in truth

You can't say that, Squidge. You don't have a Goater. When you get one come back and we might take you seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:36 pm 

I have a Wanchope. What will that get me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:37 pm 

Squidge wrote:

I actually agree with both of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:44 pm 

Quote:

Thats what I am hoping. I think he has been surprised by the backlash from the fans and press.......

Scolari wont give an answer until after the european championships we all know and even frank knows this is no good for us. We will loose decent players and miss out on our top targets. I just cant see him taking the job, if he turned down the england job for even more money why come to us. He is probably trying to flush out a top club job in Portugal or Spain so there is not as much distruption to his family - Maybe Barca or a top side in Portugal ?

I see alot of similarties to what happened with Jol at Tottenham and with Benitez at Liverpool, basically them sounding out other managers and getting caught.

Question is will sven stay if he is asked to ? At least we wont have to pay him off...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:52 pm 

alera wrote:
Thats what I am hoping. I think he has been surprised by the backlash from the fans and press.......

Scolari wont give an answer until after the european championships we all know and even frank knows this is no good for us. We will loose decent players and miss out on our top targets. I just cant see him taking the job, if he turned down the england job for even more money why come to us. He is probably trying to flush out a top club job in Portugal or Spain so there is not as much distruption to his family - Maybe Barca or a top side in Portugal ?

I see alot of similarties to what happened with Jol at Tottenham and with Benitez at Liverpool, basically them sounding out other managers and getting caught.

Question is will sven stay if he is asked to ? At least we wont have to pay him off...

Good point, well made. Except for loose rather than lose. We'll assume a keyboard malfunction this time. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:59 pm 

Emigre wrote:
Very true. Where do you keep your Goater by the way. I had one that I kept in the garage but the carbon monoxide killed it. Bloody temperamental these Goaters.

in a loft incubated to the temperature of bermuda! they are difficult to keep but they are loyal and rare breeds! oh i do love him so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:43 pm 

Intersting turn of events today. Somebody's lying though aren't they? Either Frank or Scolari's agent is feeding bullshit to the press. I suspect its Frank.

The fact that the usually reticent Tord Grip gave interviews last week saying it looks like they're on their way speaks volumes for me. How many time this season has Grip spoken to the press? He must know the score and be majorly pissed off about it for him to be giving his opinion in public.

Is Scolari already in then I wonder? Will the board be chasing his transfer targets in advance like they did last year?

Anyone listen to Century tonight?

So many questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:51 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Intersting turn of events today. Somebody's lying though aren't they? Either Frank or Scolari's agent is feeding bullshit to the press. I suspect its Frank.

The fact that the usually reticent Tord Grip gave interviews last week saying it looks like they're on their way speaks volumes for me. How many time this season has Grip spoken to the press? He must know the score and be majorly pissed off about it for him to be giving his opinion in public.

Is Scolari already in then I wonder? Will the board be chasing his transfer targets in advance like they did last year?

Anyone listen to Century tonight?

So many questions.

For me I think it boils down like this:

1-keep Sven
2-frank gas a top drawer replacement in the bag (this could well be better than 1)
3-we've got rid of Sven and no-one else has agreed to take over. This scares me loads,prolly cos I'm worried it'll be mcclown or someone like that. I don't mind frank exploring his options-it is after all his money, but I fear for us getting some 3rd rate numpty. If Sven goes and is replaced with someone world class I'll be all kinds of content. It's harsh on Sven but that's business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:56 pm 

In the great algebra of football speculation does Scolari = Ronaldinho?