Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:02 pm 

Big Phil's £3m bait
Chris Bailey
7/ 5/2008

CITY owner Thaksin Shinawatra is hoping that money will talk in the search for Sven-Goran Eriksson's successor.

The chairman is ready to make current Portugal chief 'Big Phil' Scolari the highest paid manager in Blues' history in a bid to tempt him to the Premier League.

Shinawatra is rumoured to be ready to pay the World Cup-winning boss around £3m per season - 20 per cent more than Eriksson - but only if he verbally commits to City before the European Championships in Austria and Switzerland.

Scolari has been the No 1 choice of the former Thai Prime Minister ever since he decided that he wanted to dispense with Eriksson's services.

Approaches have been made through agents but Scolari, while interested in working for a European club for the first time in his long and distinguished career, wants to wait until his current deal with the Portuguese FA runs out.

The whole scenario has echoes of when the English FA furiously courted Scolari to take over the national team from Eriksson, only for the Brazilian to say he didn't fancy the Press intrusion into his personal life.

The Brazilian may also have been taken aback by City fans' protests in Manchester against the sacking of Eriksson.

Meanwhile, City have reiterated that Eriksson will lead the team on a post-season tour of the Far East next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:23 pm 

If he DOES sack Sven, I'll be pissed off until he brings in the only manager which I think would do better than Sven... Jose. I don't want this prick, infact if he does come I'm going to cancel my season ticket. :mad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:28 pm 

I'd be happy enough with Scolari. My worry is attracting him. As I've said on other posts the possibilities of McClown, or someone else like that are what really worry me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:33 pm 

Benny wrote:
I'd be happy enough with Scolari. My worry is attracting him. As I've said on other posts the possibilities of McClown, or someone else like that are what really worry me.

After seeing how Scolari lead the F.A. on for the England job, I am a little sceptical about this. I suspect he will use us to either get a better contract with Portugal or root out a champs league club.

Either way we will be left with our dick out in the wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:34 pm 

I think Scolari would do well. I'd be quite happy to know we will have a manager that will give any player that doesnt put in 100% an absolute bollocking. Can't think of any previous managers we've had that would have done that, and i think it has shown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:12 pm 

Scolari would be good - however, would he do better than Sven within one season? Would he put up with Frank sticking his oar in?

No and No.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:39 pm 

slart wrote:
Scolari would be good - however, would he do better than Sven within one season? Would he put up with Frank sticking his oar in?

No and No.

Maybe and No for me. I'm not anti Sven at all, and I don't want to belittle his achievement, but another top manager just may have done better. Or worse. So I'm going with maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:46 pm 
I don't see the point of comparisons. Sven did a decent job last year. Under Sven next season we might have gotten in to champs league, we might have been fighting relegation. All things are possible with City.

I don't think Sven's going because Frank stuck hi oar in though. I just think Frank and Sven didn't see eye to eye. Clash of personalities perhaps. It happens. Doesn't mean anyone's at fault, but Frank owns the club so Sven had to be the one to go. Let's hope the new manager has a better rapport with Frank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:49 pm 

I reckon Scolari can boss little frank around :D

I'm starting to really hope he gets the job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:50 pm 
Bluewythy wrote:
I reckon Scolari can boss little frank around :D

I'm starting to really hope he gets the job!

Frank will be Big Phil's bitch for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:53 pm 

Emigre wrote:
Frank will be Big Phil's bitch for sure.

Phil, Frank-will we have Pat and Peggy joining too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:00 pm 

no objections to big phil coming altho i think sven should stay for reasons i posted on the other forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:03 pm 

if when managers leave you have to pay off their contracts. why dont clubs move them to a different position? we could have phil as manager and sven as reserve team manager or something? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:05 pm 

Bluewythy wrote:
if when managers leave you have to pay off their contracts. why dont clubs move them to a different position? we could have phil as manager and sven as reserve team manager or something? :D

I like your thinking there. There must be loads he could do. Do we have a sexual affairs consultant?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:07 pm 
On Sky they are saying Scolari hasn't been contacted. I guess they have to say that though because he's supposed to be preparing for the Euro's. Hopefully Portugal get knocked out early and we can get on with the business of getting a new manager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:38 pm 

Emigre wrote:
On Sky they are saying Scolari hasn't been contacted. I guess they have to say that though because he's supposed to be preparing for the Euro's. Hopefully Portugal get knocked out early and we can get on with the business of getting a new manager.

Radio 5 is saying the same, and also has a quote from Frank saying no decisions have been made yet, but there will be a review at the end of the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:50 pm 

anyone here that spanish football pundit Guillem Balague say, ''when eto was asked about manchester citys intrest he said he would be intrested in that move'.

Pleaseeeeeeee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:51 pm 
magic mike wrote:
anyone here that spanish football pundit Guillem Balague say, ''when eto was asked about manchester citys intrest he said he would be intrested in that move'.

Pleaseeeeeeee

Emigre wants