Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: mancini's future
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:11 am 

Squidge wrote:
Devils advocat;

Arsenal stick with Wenger and go from being regular trophy winner to a team that scrape their way to CL qualification every year.

Chelsea swap managers every 3 days and are Englands most successful club of the Abromovich era.

Is stability everything or a phrase that is parroted because it has become so cliche?

Again though - I'm very much in the wanting Macini to stay group.

utter conk.

I don't want bobby to go,but in this instant everything world its just the way of things.
maybe we should be excited not gutted.

squidge has mad some other great points in others posts too.

just crap knowing we had what those lot will be doing in town tonight.we'll be back

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:34 am 

Pellegrini denies any agreement to come. Will we spend half the summer managerless?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:01 am 

The silence really is deafening now..
On the brink is ssn headline and I think it is right. .
Ffs..

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:08 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
Pellegrini denies any agreement to come. Will we spend half the summer managerless?

Of course he has denied it.
The job he is taking is occupied at present and he's in a job himself. Reckon he'll be confirmed by Monday.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:21 pm 

considering nothing is confirmed, as yet, there's an awful lot of definitive statement in articles.
Quote:
Roberto Mancini pays price at City for lack of man-management skillsManchester City fans continued to sing manager's praises but the club's power-brokers had seen enough and decided to act
Share 17
inShare.0Email
Jamie Jackson
The Guardian, Sunday 12 May 2013 23.00 BST Jump to comments (99)
Manchester City's manager Roberto Mancini is expcted to see out the final two games but will not be in place next season. Photograph: Martin Rickett/PA
The loss of the FA Cup final to Wigan Athletic signalled the disintegration of Roberto Mancini's Manchester City project. Khaldoon al-Mubarak, the chairman, and Ferran Soriano, the chief executive, watched as the Italian walked from the sodden Wembley turf, beaten by a 90th-minute Ben Watson header, a figure exhausted from a long season of failure and a collision of factors that has led the executive to conclude that it needed to dismiss him.

For the Abu Dhabi-led hierarchy, the charge sheet against the Italian is long. There is the dismal title defence, finishing bottom of the Champions League group, the constant complaining about last summer's transfer buys, the inability to win anything despite a cash-soaked, starry squad, and the alienating of his own staff, made clear by last summer's criticism of Brian Marwood, then director of football, and of the club's communications executive, Vicky Kloss, during a post-final briefing at Wembley.

The most damning accusation, though, is the one viewed as the root cause of the above: Mancini's inability to man-manage. Manuel Pellegrini, by all accounts, is a people person, a players' manager, described as humble and possessing the X-factor required in an age of swaggering multimillionaire footballers: an ability to keep them onside and coax that telling extra scintilla of performance.

Mancini's divisive approach has left many nonplussed. Asked about the manager's future, Pablo Zabaleta, a player who has not drawn criticism from him, hardly offered a ringing endorsement. "It's not our decision. As players we need to be focused on what we do now and we will see what happens with Roberto in the future," the right-back said. "We have got two games left and we will see the chairman and sports director [Txiki Begiristain] and all the people who have to think about this, and if they make some changes – it's because … I don't know. We need to let them deal with this."

This has been a campaign of warfare between manager and players, starting when Cristiano Ronaldo's late goal handed City a 3-2 defeat in their opening Champions League match at Real Madrid, and Joe Hart became a favoured target.

Informed then to stop criticising the side – that was Mancini's job – the goalkeeper was the recipient of further dressing-downs. At differing points, he has been joined by Samir Nasri, Micah Richards and the captain, Vincent Kompany. The Mario Balotelli farrago that featured Mancini's odd support for the erratic Italian before it ended when they grappled during a training-ground spat in January cast the manager as undignified, and will not have played out well in Abu Dhabi.

Mubarak will also feel bemusement that the leader of the word's richest club, who is only a year into a lucrative a five-season contract, should turn on a high-ranking member of staff.

But this is what Mancini did when pressed about Soriano and Begiristain's pursuit of Pellegrini. "The people, Vicky, the other people who work for the press [office], I don't know why they don't stop this rubbish. You wrote this for the six months, and for the last two weeks. It's too much. I don't understand why. For football I talk and I take responsibility in the press. For this you need to talk to Vicky and the other people," he said.

"When you start to win trophies maybe you can think you are the best team. It is not true. You need to work harder and harder. After, also the people who worked with us around the team, they are not strong enough for this job. Also they should improve. I am strong because my back is very strong and I don't have any problems with this. But I think that together we should improve."

Mancini knows full well that those who are chasing Pellegrini are Soriano and Begiristain, not anyone in the communications department. Yet when pressed who he meant, Mancini said: "Other people. Vicky. People that work [in the club]."

Mancini appears to view his coaching staff – headed by David Platt and Brian Kidd – as a band apart from the rest. This is hardly conducive to the building of a strong cohesive club that can pull together. "I am very proud of my job in this year, very proud. What we did and my staff," he said of his inner circle.

The one not inconsiderable constituency still squarely behind Mancini are the fans. They sang his name at Wembley and as with Roberto Di Matteo at Chelsea, who will always be loved for the 2012 Champions League triumph, now that City are removing their manager, Mancini knows eternal adoration is his after the 2011 FA Cup win and last season's title, which was a first for 44 years and featured the rout of Manchester United on their own patch.

He said: "This is normal because I don't think there will be another manager who will win 6-1 at Old Trafford against [Sir Alex] Ferguson because Ferguson has retired. We won one Premier League, we won one FA Cup, we won a Community Shield. We lost this FA Cup unfortunately. We are very popular with the support. I love them, they love me, and I'm happy for this. If in the end I will leave I will be the first supporter of Manchester City in the future."

It sounded like a valedictory speech. And it turned out to be one.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:27 pm 

Brennan talking on TS, City will make no announcement till the seasons over.

Also bobby has upset people at the club and that hasn't come out to the public yet and no tears will be shed by the players.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:37 pm 

he spent too long slating marwood for the summer window's failures, and then to have a dig at players and press officers doesn't go down well. i can see it as plausible that the players no longer want him there, certainly given some of the performances.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:46 pm 

Interesting, I had heard ages ago everyone at the club hates Bobby. Respect him but hate him. No different to SAF mind you, complete cock but gets results.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:00 pm 

"one of the hardest bastards i've met" is how platt describes him. which works as long as you're winning, ala bacon face. i think the one that will have done for the players may well be 3-5-2 - if you persist with something the players don't like the look of, and persist when it demonstrably fails to produce results...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:14 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Interesting, I had heard ages ago everyone at the club hates Bobby. Respect him but hate him. No different to SAF mind you, complete cock but gets results.

Funny you should say that, I checked their respective win percentages on wiki and they're almost identical; something like 59.17% to 59.7% in taggart's favour.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:31 pm 

Gallagheresque wrote:

Also bobby has upset people at the club and that hasn't come out to the public yet and no tears will be shed by the players.

I knew it. Honestly, would anyone wonder if Bobby himself started all this before the Final? Clamging the last line he had?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:36 pm 

balky wrote:
Gallagheresque wrote:

I knew it. Honestly, would anyone wonder if Bobby himself started all this before the Final? Clamging the last line he had?

Apparently he would've got the bullet even if we'd won. It seems to be all about Europe for the owners, and the pursuit of Pellegrini seems to support that. I'm not wild about the choice of replacement (if confirmed), but I also appreciate the owners have a right to choose who they want to manage the club.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:15 pm 

Is he better than David Moyes, that is the burning question

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:52 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
Danny's Studs wrote:

Funny you should say that, I checked their respective win percentages on wiki and they're almost identical; something like 59.17% to 59.7% in taggart's favour.

I wouldn't read too much into statistics. they never tell the whole story. Rarely this season did we get close to last seasons form. And then there was the European debacle as well as a host of poor performances in the league. For instance.

Aug Liverpool away 2-2
Sept arsenal home 1-1
Nov west ham away 0-0
Dec Everton home 1-1
Dec man Utd home 2-3
We handed them a 2 goal lead courtesy of a bobby brainwave in starting balotelli. We responded well after the break until nasri shamefully chickened out.
Dec Sunderland away 0-1
crap
Jan QPR away 0-0
crap
Feb Liverpool home 2-2
Feb Southampton away 1-3
Worst performance of the season
March Everton away 0-2
not far behind
April spurs away 1-3

And then Saturday. The players have to carry their share of the blame for that as well. For fuck sake it's a cup final.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:13 pm 

Winston_Smith wrote:
Is he better than David Moyes, that is the burning question

Manuel? Yes i think he is.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:21 pm 

Well they both took a small club and broke the dominance of the traditional powers to reach the Champions League. Moyes was knocked out in the first qualifying round and Pellegrini got to the semi-final. So there's your answer.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:33 pm 

Squidge wrote:
Devils advocat;

Arsenal stick with Wenger and go from being regular trophy winner to a team that scrape their way to CL qualification every year.

Chelsea swap managers every 3 days and are Englands most successful club of the Abromovich era.

Is stability everything or a phrase that is parroted because it has become so cliche?

Again though - I'm very much in the wanting Macini to stay group.

Long term stability is good. I think the biggest myth is that it requires some sort of all-powerful dictator of a manager to get it. Barcelona have had 3 managers since they became good again, but there are people behind the scenes looking to build the club long-term. Hell, when Guardiola was appointed, he had no top flight experience at all, and his successor's only experience was as his assistant. That's how confident they are in the infrastructure they've built. And it's no secret that our bosses are big admirers of Barca.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:03 pm 

Mancini sacked, official now.

Kidd will take charge the last 2 games.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:19 pm 

Fucking idiotic, thanks for the memories Bobby.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:31 am 

Just woke up to this. Seems bizzare right now.
Fucks sake. ..
Thanks Bobby. .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next