Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: City & Moneyball
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:59 pm 

Interesting article from The Secret Footballer (who's book you really should read) website:

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/1402/fleig-reveals-revolutionary-stat-attack/?c=TWIT#pages-top

Post subject: Re: City & Moneyball
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:43 am 

Hmm, sir, when i clicked the link it showed "404 Error".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 am 

no it doesn't.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:28 am 

Works fine.

I think this will be huge for me and City.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:55 am 

Cooder's misplaced apostrophe is giving me stomach cramps. :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:05 pm 

Who's?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:36 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:21 pm 

Bastard wrote:

:cool:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:32 pm 

Dark Blue wrote:
Who's?

is it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:02 pm 

I'm not sure. :o

I do know one thing though, when a man keep's posting pictures that big hes over-compensating for something.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:40 am 

not making a new thread for this

Quote:
Manchester City climb into Deloitte top 10 earners after league title• Real Madrid stay No1 and topped €500m revenue last season
Manchester City experienced a 51% increase in revenue to €285.6m, mainly due to a 28% increase in broadcast income and a near doubling of commercial revenue. Photograph: Alex Morton/Action Images
Manchester City's first Premier League title and inaugural season in the Champions League have helped them climb five places in Deloitte's annual survey of the 20 biggest earners in football, meaning that half of the top 10 clubs come from England.

For the eighth year running Real Madrid were the top-earning club in Europe, with revenues of €513m (£431m). The Spanish club took over top spot from Manchester United in 2003-04 and have held it since.

Barcelona, who also benefit from a TV money distribution model that reserves the lion's share for the two biggest clubs in Spain, were ranked second with revenues of €483m to complete a Spanish top two for the fourth year running. Manchester City's rise was powered by a 51% increase in revenue to €285.6m, mainly due to a 28% increase in broadcast income and a near doubling of commercial revenue thanks to a new agreement with Etihad.

Newcastle United were the one new entry, into the list at 20 and replacing Valencia. The collective strength of the Premier League, where broadcast revenues are shared more equally than in Spain, is reflected in there being seven English clubs in the top 20 and four more (Everton, Aston Villa, Fulham and Sunderland) just outside.

Deloitte, which ranks clubs according to how much money they bring in from matchday, commercial and media income but does not measure their profitability or indebtedness, said Real Madrid had become the first club in any sport to surpass the €500m revenue barrier in a single year.

The top six clubs remained unchanged for the sixth successive year, emphasising the extent to which success has enabled the biggest clubs to further increase their commercial revenues abroad.

"They are the teams with the biggest fan bases, at home and internationally," said Adam Bull, a senior consultant at Deloitte's Sports Business Group. "They continue to attract the largest commercial deals and generate the highest matchday revenue."

But he said that Chelsea's failure to break into the top four, despite winning the Champions League, showed the extent to which the London club were constrained by their inability to increase matchday income in light of the relatively small capacity of Stamford Bridge.

The Deloitte report paints a picture of ongoing revenue growth for Europe's top clubs, despite the recession that has gripped the continent, thanks to improved commercial deals and increased TV income. Bull said the top four clubs were continuing to pull away from the rest in revenue terms. Real Madrid's annual income is double that of Milan's in eighth place.

In all, the combined revenues of the top 20 clubs rose 10% to €4.8bn during the 2011-12 season and that total was four times the amount in 1996-97, the first year that Deloitte compiled the figures.

But Uefa's forthcoming benchmarking report is expected to show the flipside of the story – that increased revenues have been accompanied by rising costs, driven by the wage inflation that has outstripped revenue growth for many clubs.

The Uefa president, Michel Platini, hopes the Financial Fair Play rules introduced last season, limiting clubs to €45m in losses over a three-year period, will help reduce debts.

But others fear it will decrease competitiveness and enable those already making the most money to pull further away from the pack.

The German Football Association on Wednesday claimed on Wednesday the Bundesliga was one of the most sustainable leagues in Europe. Its 18 clubs posted combined record turnover of €2.08bn in 2011-12, up more than 7% on the previous season, with 14 of the 18 clubs profitable.

"The Bundesliga is well equipped to deal with the challenges ahead," said the DFL chief executive, Christian Seifert. "The foundations for this successful path are financial good sense as well as targeted investment in sporting efficiency and infrastructure."

Position Club Revenue (€m)

(last season) 2011-12 (2010-11)

1 (1) Real Madrid 512.6 (479.5)

2 (2) Barcelona 483 (450.7)

3 (3) Manchester Utd 395.9 (367)

4 (4) Bayern Munich 368.4 (321.4)

5 (5) Chelsea 322.6 (253.1)

6 (6) Arsenal 290.3 (251.1)

7 (12) Manchester City 285.6 (169.6)

8 (7) Milan 256.9 (234.8)

9 (9) Liverpool 233.2 (203.3)

10 (13) Juventus 195.4 (153.9)

11 (16) Borussia Dortmund 189.1 (138.5)

12 (8) Internazionale 185.9 (211.4)

13 (11) Tottenham 178.2 (181)

14 (10) Schalke 174.5 (202.4)

15 (20) Napoli 148.4 (114.9)

16 (14) Marseille 135.7 (150.4)

17 (17) Lyon 131.9 (132.8)

18 (18) Hamburg 121.1 (128.8)

19 (15) Roma 115.9 (143.5)

20 (-) Newcastle United 115.3 (98)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:34 pm 

How the feck are the Spuds 13th though?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:44 pm 

The Devil Is In Deloitte Detail
The media call it a 'rich list' but that's not really the case, says Philip Cornwall. It's all about revenues and in the case of Man City's rise, it owes a lot to that Etihad deal...

Well, it will be interesting to see how Chelsea fans blame Rafa Benitez for this one. What happens next is up to the police as well as the FA but, amid a League Cup exit and the fall-out from Eden Hazard's boot making contact with Charlie Morgan, there is some good news for Chelsea this week.

Deloitte have published their rankings of the global turnover of clubs and the European champions sit fifth, with an income of €323m, up from sixth place and €250m a year ago. The victory against Bayern Munich - who remain fourth - helped them leapfrog Arsenal, who still had a bright side to look on as revenue rose €39m to €290m.

These figures do not reflect how much was spent to achieve these income levels, however. This is not the only such league table; Forbes produce their version later in the year, which estimates the value of clubs and reflects expenditure, too. It is a source of much irritation (here at least) when the different measures are often conflated by the media under the heading 'rich lists'.

The Deloitte Football Money League's value is in charting the extraordinary rise of football income generally, with all the leading clubs' takings rising by a minimum of roughly €30m. Real Madrid cross the €500m mark for the first time, Barcelona are not far behind and Manchester United, despite failing to reach last season's Champions League knock-out stage, are close to €400m, up from €367m.

Of course the problem with statistics is how you use them, as well as what you call them; consider the FIFA rankings. Each month you see bare stories that state Spain are top and Germany still second but do not reflect the margins. The world and European champions have a 169-point lead, and Joachim Low's side are 147 points better off than Argentina, who themselves lead Italy by 125. The next 125-point drop covers the rest of the top 10 with something to spare but the headlines would declare someone a 'big riser' or 'big faller' and often the stories themselves omit the points totals.

So with the Deloitte chart, beyond erroneous headlines such as 'Real Madrid still world's richest club' on the BBC. Manchester City are up from 12th to seventh, revenues rising to €286m from €170m, but as the full report reveals the sponsorship deal with Etihad Airways, of questionable value to the airline, plays a major part. (To be fair to the BBC, they reflect this, too; but good reporting deserves better headlines.)

Chelsea, meanwhile, issued figures in November stating that they made a £1.4m profit in their last financial year, overturning a £67.7m loss. Reporting on the detailed accounts, though, showed one-off items - such as share write-offs and a reduction in payments to sacked managers who got new jobs - without which you are talking about a £19.9m loss. Other one-off items included winning the Champions League.

To repeat a detail from above, Manchester United, even in a year where they fail in Europe and do not win a trophy, increase income by €30m. To succeed financially when you are failing elsewhere is a real achievement and it remains unclear what would happen to Chelsea and Manchester City if suddenly they were cut off from the money that gives them success, a question that relates to financial fair play as well as owners' whims.

The darker and lighter Blues have rapidly acquired global audiences but no one knows how deeply a fan in the Far East connects to the club compared to one with the physical tie of passing through a turnstile; for all the lists, we are in uncharted territory.

Reports such as Deloitte's are hugely informative because of the work that lies behind them but can also be seen as snaphots rather than warts-and-all portraits. Premier League clubs generally will rise against continental peers when the new TV deal kicks in, Deloitte observe - which will make it even more important to look at the individual detail however impressive football's overall financial outlook may appear.

Deloitte Money League, revenues in 2011/12:

1. Real Madrid: 513m euros

2. Barcelona: 483m euros

3. Man Utd: 396m euros

4. Bayern Munich: 368m euros

5. Chelsea: 323m euros

6. Arsenal: 290m euros

7. Manchester City: 286m euros

8. AC Milan: 257m euros

9. Liverpool: 233m euros

10. Juventus: 195m euros