Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:27 pm 

...that I take City to seriously. This from a fellow City supporter, and I totally have to agree. Get too emotional over it all. He loves City and has followed since his days as a young'un in Manchester. As much as he loves City to do well, he is able to accept the ridiculous goings on that occur from time to time, by way of emotional/mental self-preservation.

Fact is, I wish I could calm down too. Unfortunately, I find it very difficult when you look at the second half of the season and in particular the last three weeks. What the f^ck is going on. Anyone?

Anyways, could go on for bloody paragraphs here, but I honestly dont think I can care less. It is just sport, only a game but when one invests a fair amount of time, money and emotion in to a past-time you honestly hope for a return of some tangible form. >> A top ten finish, excellent :) !! (amid rumours of impending removal of manager most of us believe in. :confused: )

Perhaps, as much as I detest it, the saying still applies: It's just typical City

I'll be there next season Blues. I'll be there cheering us on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:28 pm 

I feel strangley disaffected about the club at the minute. Nothing to do with us being shit for the last few months, that goes with the territory. There's something weird that I can't quite put my finger on.

The clubs definitely changing. Its strange having someone actually driving it forwards. Whilst Wardle and Mackintosh have undoubtedly tried their best, it hasn't felt like there's been direction behind the scenes since the days of Bernstein - and even his efforts are incomparable to what's going on now.

I think I've come to terms with the sacking of Sven. I've seen successful company owners make similar brutal decisions in our industry and it doesn't do to get sentimental about things, much as I love the old philanderer.

Next season will be another interesting one. A new man in charge of the team and this new bloke from Nike in charge of the boardroom. Impossible to predict what's going to happen. Now that's typical City.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:01 pm 

You can't get too involved. City, love it or hate it, are part of your life. You'll never escape 'em, even if you try.

And why would you want to care less? For all the bollocks, being a City fan isn't so bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:03 am 

the whole point of football is to get too involved - if you don't love your club whats the fecking point ?

don't go changing Danny, to try to please them, we love you just the way you are

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:09 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:
...that I take City to seriously. This from a fellow City supporter, and I totally have to agree. Get too emotional over it all. He loves City and has followed since his days as a young'un in Manchester. As much as he loves City to do well, he is able to accept the ridiculous goings on that occur from time to time, by way of emotional/mental self-preservation.

Fact is, I wish I could calm down too. Unfortunately, I find it very difficult when you look at the second half of the season and in particular the last three weeks. What the f^ck is going on. Anyone?

Anyways, could go on for bloody paragraphs here, but I honestly dont think I can care less. It is just sport, only a game but when one invests a fair amount of time, money and emotion in to a past-time you honestly hope for a return of some tangible form. >> A top ten finish, excellent :) !! (amid rumours of impending removal of manager most of us believe in. :confused: )

Perhaps, as much as I detest it, the saying still applies: It's just typical City

[B][color="Red"]I'll be there next season Blues. I'll be there cheering us on[/color][/B].

Me too Danny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:14 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:
...that I take City too seriously. This from a fellow City supporter, and I totally have to agree. Get too emotional over it all. He loves City and has followed since his days as a young'un in Manchester. As much as he loves City to do well, he is able to accept the ridiculous goings on that occur from time to time, by way of emotional/mental self-preservation.

I'll be there next season Blues. I'll be there cheering us on.

Hear Hear Danielson.
People say that about me and City all the time. That I let City dictate, what I'm doing, how I'm feeling, what I'm thinking, what I'm saying. Sometimes I curse my Dad for giving me the City bug, but I love City and as frustrating as it is that our club is the worlds biggest fuckup, we couldn't really have it any other way, could we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:22 am 

Good thread this.

It is a strange one for me too. It feels like typical City but in a new and kind of disturbing way.

My worry with Dr T has always been that his interest in football was primarily a financial one and that owning a club would provide a vehicle for his business interests in the UK.
The appointment of the ex-Nike guy seems to me to confirm this and I suspect that he intends to turn us into a "global brand" by fair means or foul.

City finished 9th in the league and yet we managed to steal almost as many headlines as the Scum and the Chavs over that last few weeks. Not bad for a side who's season effectively ended a month ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:38 am 

It is strange how your support of a club does take over a large portion of your life.

I've always supported City. I never made a conscious decision to support them, my older brother made sure of this from a young age. Today its one of the things we have in common and I enjoy going to matches with him. We argue about City a lot as well. However, we are both making sure all the younger members of our family will be City supporters.

The hiding we got on Sunday was embarrassing but it didn't stop me going for a walk around the beach and harbour in my City shirt afterwards. The club itself is changing and I will never trust Frank, however, we're going to stay the same and this is all that matters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:42 am 

We are all City till we die when all said and done. Chairman, managers and players come and go, we don't, end of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:51 am 

slart wrote:
It is strange how your support of a club does take over a large portion of your life.

I've always supported City. I never made a conscious decision to support them, my older brother made sure of this from a young age. Today its one of the things we have in common and I enjoy going to matches with him. We argue about City a lot as well. However, we are both making sure all the younger members of our family will be City supporters.

The hiding we got on Sunday was embarrassing but it didn't stop me going for a walk around the beach and harbour in my City shirt afterwards. The club itself is changing and [color="Red"]I will never trust Frank, however, we're going to stay the same and this is all that matters[/color].

I am very doubtful about Frank as well Slart, and I realise that this is not a particularly valid comparison, but Gretna FC had a meteoric rise to the Scottish Premier League under a "wealthy owner" and will probably play their last ever game this week.

I also fear that "we're going to stay the same" may be wishful thinking too. If we are successful under Frank the fanbase will be different and definitely less hardcore. More Journeyman fans of the like seen at Chelsea, Scum, Arsenal and even Liverpool every week. The culture of these clubs has been changed by the nature of their shiny new fanbase and it will happen at City too if we do break into that League as well.

Personally, I'd sacrifice success for the sake of remaining a proper club but maybe we gave that status up when we left Maine Road.

(Talking of which, I shall be paying a moist eyed visit to the cobbled streets on my way to the Academy tonight.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:21 am 

Cloudyshin O'Watra wrote:
I am very doubtful about Frank as well Slart, and I realise that this is not a particularly valid comparison, but Gretna FC had a meteoric rise to the Scottish Premier League under a "wealthy owner" and will probably play their last ever game this week.

I also fear that "we're going to stay the same" may be wishful thinking too. If we are successful under Frank the fanbase will be different and definitely less hardcore. More Journeyman fans of the like seen at Chelsea, Scum, Arsenal and even Liverpool every week. The culture of these clubs has been changed by the nature of their shiny new fanbase and it will happen at City too if we do break into that League as well.

Personally, I'd sacrifice success for the sake of remaining a proper club but maybe we gave that status up when we left Maine Road.

(Talking of which, I shall be paying a moist eyed visit to the cobbled streets on my way to the Academy tonight.)

I haven't been past many times but i still get goosebumps when i do. Only had five years there, so i've had as many seasons at Coms as a season ticket holder, but Maine Road still feels like home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:30 am 

I think I trotted out this story when I first arrived, but I actually made a concious decision to support City precisely because of it's 'unique' charms.

My Mum and Dad are both casual United supporters, so when I was young and impressionable I did the same. As a result I never really got into football when I was young because to be honest supporting United was bloody boring. Winning a match just isn't as exciting when you're doing it every week, and none of the players were awfully inspiring - they were either boringly competent or complete wankers.

However, as I grew up and formed my own opinions on things I saw the light and switched to City, and it was one of the best things I ever did. Life's never dull, the club has a much nicer atmosphere about it, and the frustration at the usual cock-ups makes it all the sweeter when things go right. It's CTID all the way for me now, even if it does drive me crazy at times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:11 pm 

To be honest, if we carry on as we are, I'll probably find a better team to support.
I'm sick of awful seasons like this.

Quote:
The world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and love everyone. Try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go. And so I became a waiter ... Well, it's not much of a philosophy I know ... but well ... fuck you! I can live my own life in my own way if I want to! Fuck off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:12 pm 

No you won't don't lie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:14 pm 

MrsWeaverToBe wrote:
No you won't don't lie

You don't lie. There are well better teams than us, and I'll find the right one.

Quote:
The world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and love everyone. Try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go. And so I became a waiter ... Well, it's not much of a philosophy I know ... but well ... fuck you! I can live my own life in my own way if I want to! Fuck off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:16 pm 

Do it. We dont need plastic fans like you, that never attend games, anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:24 pm 

MrsWeaverToBe wrote:
Do it. We dont need plastic fans like you, that never attend games, anyway

Six last season.
And I'm poor.
And I don't live in Manchester yet.

I'm going to follow a London team I think

Mi'wa'

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:26 pm 

Micahrichardsatemybaby wrote:
Six last season.
And I'm poor.
And I don't live in Manchester yet.

I'm going to follow a London team I think

Mi'wa'

No excuse. Move to Manchester quicker, Squidge can't wait. He says he hearts you. Be careful I think he's going to stalk you. Steer clear of Denton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:32 pm 

MrsWeaverToBe wrote:
No excuse. Move to Manchester quicker, Squidge can't wait. He says he hearts you. Be careful I think he's going to stalk you. Steer clear of Denton.

He hasn't said a word to me in weeks the little fool. The silent treatment it is.
Two can play at his little dwarf-like game.
September is the time. I'll be poor there as well. 'S gonna be literally massive.

Won't be very near my MiWa though.

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:35 pm 

He hasnt spoken to you as he's embarressed he hearts you so much.

September? Hmmm not long then. Have you decided which Uni?