Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Robin Van Persie
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:29 am 

Quote:
RVP, the Arsenal captain, has made it clear that he is not willing to sign a new contract in the immediate future, sparking fears that the club are facing yet another damaging summer transfer saga.

fingers crossed...

Post subject: Re: Robin Van Persie
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:33 am 

Hell. Yes. A frightening prospect. City + RVP. :o

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:00 pm 

29? :think:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:06 pm 

Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:

Yeah... if we can get him on the cheap because his contract is running down it might be worth it.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:14 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:

Yeah... if we can get him on the cheap because his contract is running down it might be worth it.

'On the cheap' would still probably be £25m+, plus he'd be on ridiculous wages (£200k/week = £10m/year) - a cost that people often tend to ignore.

Considering our current options are 23 (Aguero), 21 (Balotelli), 26 (Dzeko) and - should he stay - 28 (Tevez), I don't think we need to spend big on a historically injury-prone striker who potentially doesn't have that many years left at the top of his game. I know our owners are super-rich but in terms of FFP and whatnot, I just don't think van Persie would be the most economically astute signing.

Hazard, on the other hand, is 21 and plays a position where we're more noticeably lacking. Given the choice between him and RVP, I'd take Hazard every time.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:18 pm 

DarloBlue wrote:
Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:

'On the cheap' would still probably be £25m+, plus he'd be on ridiculous wages (£200k/week = £10m/year) - a cost that people often tend to ignore.

Considering our current options are 23 (Aguero), 21 (Balotelli), 26 (Dzeko) and - should he stay - 28 (Tevez), I don't think we need to spend big on a historically injury-prone striker who potentially doesn't have that many years left at the top of his game. I know our owners are super-rich but in terms of FFP and whatnot, I just don't think van Persie would be the most economically astute signing.

Hazard, on the other hand, is 21 and plays a position where we're more noticeably lacking. Given the choice between him and RVP, I'd take Hazard every time.

I agree with all of that, not bowled over at the prospect of signing him. £15m I might go to but £25m wouldn't make much sense to me, same as Zlatan.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:28 pm 

DarloBlue wrote:

I agree with all of that, not bowled over at the prospect of signing him. £15m I might go to but £25m wouldn't make much sense to me, same as Zlatan.

I have some concerns over the prospect of Llorente as well to be honest. He's 27 which isn't exactly old but is older than the current crop (bar Tevez). I wouldn't be averse to signing him but any money we spent on him is liable to be money that we won't see much of back. Cavani (at 25) probably makes the most economic sense - I don't know whether he'd cost more than Llorente but should he only hang around for, say, three years, we'd stand a better chance at retaining value with a 28 year-old Cavani than a 30 year-old Llorente.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:33 pm 

DarloBlue wrote:
DarloBlue wrote:

I have some concerns over the prospect of Llorente as well to be honest. He's 27 which isn't exactly old but is older than the current crop (bar Tevez). I wouldn't be averse to signing him but any money we spent on him is liable to be money that we won't see much of back. Cavani (at 25) probably makes the most economic sense - I don't know whether he'd cost more than Llorente but should he only hang around for, say, three years, we'd stand a better chance at retaining value with a 28 year-old Cavani than a 30 year-old Llorente.

I really really rate lorenter, and rvp has just had his best season ever..
But that said..cavani for me..

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:37 pm 

Llorente is class but I'd only get him if we got shot of Dzeko, and my feelings on that have somewhat changed in the past 5 days or so...

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:05 pm 

personally don't want him either... a stated hes 29 and we would have to pay out the arse to steal him for arsenal being we always grab their players...just think we don't need him honestly, we should only be buying younger prospects at this point, FFP is looming, I'd be devastated if we got slapped with stupid bans because we kept buying players especially one that is 29

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:45 pm 

something about fee amortisation as well, as in the longer you have a player the more years that fee is spread over. this would affect the year on year impact/loss of a large transfer fee. i think.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:10 pm 

Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:

Doubt it'll be on the cheap, they'll still want £20+million for him? Surely?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:20 pm 

Just been announced on sky that Van Persie has said that he WON'T be signing a new deal at Arsenal!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:03 pm 

Scotty wrote:
Just been announced on sky that Van Persie has said that he WON'T be signing a new deal at Arsenal!!

Big quote directly from RVP too.....
Van Persie told his official website: "I've thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract.

"You guys, the fans, have of course the right to disagree with my view and decision and I will always respect your opinions."

The striker had previously kept quiet over his future and refused to commit to a decision until Wednesday.

Van Persie says he has chosen not to extend his deal following talks with Wenger and chief executive Ivan Gazidis over the club's plans for the future.

He added: "I have kept quiet all this time out of respect and loyalty for the club and as agreed with Mr Gazidis and Mr Wenger, but since there is so much speculation in the media, I think it is fair for you guys to know what's really going on at the moment.

"As announced earlier this year I had a meeting with the boss and Mr Gazidis after the season. This was a meeting about the club's future strategy and their policy. Financial terms or a contract have not been discussed, since that is not my priority at all.

"I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days.

"Out of my huge respect for Mr Wenger, the players and the fans I don't want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward."

Van Persie, who joined Arsenal from Feyenoord in 2004, added: "I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens. I have grown up and became a man during my time with Arsenal FC.

"Everybody at the club and the fans have always supported me over the years and I have always given my all (and more) on and off the pitch. I am very proud of being part of this fantastic club for the last eight years.

"As soon as Mr Gazidis is back from his two-week holiday in America further meetings will follow and I will update you if and when there are more developments."

Van Persie ended last season as the Premier League's top scorer with 30 goals, helping the Gunners to a third-placed finish.

Really hope, hes been tapped up by real or barca or someone.....

cavani :pray:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:06 pm 

Yesterday
There is one glimmer of good news for Arsenal, Manchester City's interest in Robin van Persie is said to be on the wane, and Talksport claims that the Premier League champions could instead be lining up a bid for Edinson Cavani. The Uruguayan hotshot has netted 64 times for Napoli in the past two years and that's attracted the interest of Sky Blues boss Roberto Mancini.

Only last week Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis said the South American striker was "not transferable". That has apparently prompted a cry from Cavani's heart. Asked by Uruguayan news website Subrayado about the possibility of moving to City, the 25-year-old Cavani said: "My job is to play and I do not think about certain things. In my opinion, however, if an offer arrives the president - De Laurentiis - will sit down to talk with whomever I want."

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/football/premi ... z1zfsOUMsg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:15 pm 

kippax_in_my_blood wrote:
Yesterday
There is one glimmer of good news for Arsenal, Manchester City's interest in Robin van Persie is said to be on the wane, and Talksport claims that the Premier League champions could instead be lining up a bid for Edinson Cavani. The Uruguayan hotshot has netted 64 times for Napoli in the past two years and that's attracted the interest of Sky Blues boss Roberto Mancini.

Only last week Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis said the South American striker was "not transferable". That has apparently prompted a cry from Cavani's heart. Asked by Uruguayan news website Subrayado about the possibility of moving to City, the 25-year-old Cavani said: "My job is to play and I do not think about certain things. In my opinion, however, if an offer arrives the president - De Laurentiis - will sit down to talk with whomever I want."

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/football/premi ... z1zfsOUMsg

Van Persie would be great, but we then have the problem of other strikers (Dzeko mainly) probably never getting a look in and then being linked elsewhere.

I would leave it as it is if all strikers are happy. Don't fix what isn't broke imo. We do run the risk alright of Tevez having a mid-season crisis again but hopefully that wont happen.
Aguero, Tevez, Balotelli and Dzeko??? This would make most defenses shit themselves in the tunnel!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:17 pm 

Plus I don't want anymore of AFC's players. There will soon start to be jokes about signing their best players.
Wait a few years and sign Ox!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:40 pm 

i like cavani, but your right, its not like we don't have 4 world class strikers..

I do have a feeling we may have a sniff after wes snidey....that would wind taggart up proper..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:24 pm 

Noel Gallagher's PA wrote:
Plus I don't want anymore of AFC's players. There will soon start to be jokes about signing their best players.

Soon? Those jokes started after Touré and Adebayor. The feeder-club status of Arsenal was just confirmed with Clichy and Nasri.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:46 pm 

DarloBlue wrote:
Noel Gallagher's PA wrote:

Soon? Those jokes started after Touré and Adebayor. The feeder-club status of Arsenal was just confirmed with Clichy and Nasri.

I stand corrected.