It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:31 am 

From MUEN

Quote:
£110m clear-out: Manchester City prepare for mass exodus
Mike Whalley

May 31, 2011

Aston Villa have joined Celtic and Leicester in the race for Shay Given as he prepares to head the biggest clear-out in Manchester City’s history.

Given is one of at least TEN Blues players set to exit the club as Roberto Mancini bids to shape a squad for next season’s Champions League push.

Emmanuel Adebayor, Craig Bellamy, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Wayne Bridge, Patrick Vieira, Jo, Roque Santa Cruz, Nedum Onuoha and Felipe Caicedo are all expected to leave over the summer.

It all adds up to more than £110m worth of talent going out in a bid to free up funds for new signings and ensure the Blues meet UEFA’s new financial fair play rules. And there could be even more players on the way out, with Carlos Tevez still to make a decision on his future and young winger Vladimir Weiss being lined up for a loan move to Spanish side Espanyol.

Mancini flew to Abu Dhabi last week with chief executive Garry Cook and football administrator Brian Marwood to discuss transfer plans with owner Sheikh Mansour and chairman Khaldoon al Mubarak.

Khaldoon’s recent statement that City were only looking to make one or two big signings this summer appeared to be at odds with the manager’s wish to bring in more players.

But it is understood there was actually no huge difference of opinion between Mancini and the club hierarchy, with all parties aware of the need to ship out fringe players to create space for new arrivals.

Mancini is keen to bring in Udinese winger Alexis Sanchez and Bolton centre-back Gary Cahill as he looks to strengthen his squad.

But the emphasis will be on ensuring a leaner, meaner first-team group for next term – as Mancini recently made clear when he spoke of the need for a squad of “23, 24 good players” to see the club through the twin demands of domestic and Champions League football.

Most of the squad departures are being driven by the club’s need to reduce their spending and drastically reduce losses – they reported a £121m loss in 2009/10 – in order to meet UEFA rules for clubs in European competition. Given’s exit, though, is slightly different, as it is being driven by his desire for regular first-team football.

Mancini wants the keeper to stay, but understands his frustration at not playing.

Given has already spoken publicly of his interest in returning to Celtic, where he started his career as a teenager, while Villa could also be on the hunt for a new keeper with Brad Friedel out of contract and set to join Tottenham.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp, who has also been linked with Given, has been looking for a more reliable No 1 after seeing the erratic Brazilian Heurelho Gomes make a series of high-profile errors.

Championship side Leicester are something of an outside bet for Given’s services, but former Blues boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has indicated an interest in the keeper as he attempts to build a promotion challenge with backing from his club’s Thai owners.

Of the other players set to go, Adebayor has attracted interest from Tottenham and Bellamy is considering a return to home-city Cardiff, where he spent last season on loan.

Wright-Phillips has been linked with Bolton and Fulham, while Onuoha – who has just completed a season’s loan at Sunderland – could also head for the Reebok as part of any deal for Cahill.

Striker Caicedo is set to stay in Spain, where he has been a huge hit on loan at Levante, with Atletico Madrid and Villarreal ready to sign him permanently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:47 am 

I think we could still get a tune out of Ned.

As for Bellamy, *sigh*, what a player he was for us. Interestingly enough, the other teams he has played for, the supporters I have spoken to all say the same of him when he was at their team (Wham, L'pool, N'castle, Bburn). They never wanted shut of him. It's his off pitch attitude that is the killer. He's a dick basically. Fuck. Such a shame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:50 am 

Grateful though I am of what Bellers did for us in the past, I'm not too distraught at a winger who's nearly 32 leaving the club. This Sanchez could be the next big thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:51 am 

I saw him on Friday playing for Wales v Norn Iron. He was by far the best player on the pitch. For parts of the game a physio kept on the sideline and gave him treatment during breaks in play but he still stayed on the pitch for over an hour. He was enjoying himself as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:51 am 

Also, what is it with Sven and Thai rich dudes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:54 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Also, what is it with Sven and Thai lady dudes.

fixed..

cahill may see kolo on the bench, but tbf lescott got better the more he played and had a good partnership with vinny.
sanchez is being raved about, so thats cool..
ade needs shipping out as hes another moaning get, tevez is enough..
as the rest its expected..

why is no one sniffing after wesley sneijder, well i know the scum are, we should nick him quick..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:06 pm 

I'd rather keep Viera and Onouha.

I know Viera's old but i think is prescence alone benefits us. Experienced guys are good to have around.

Onouha has potential but i can't see him being more than sub :(

I reckon we could actually fund all our transfers with sales if we manage to get rid of that lot. Leaves money to splash out on Kun Aguero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:54 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
I think we could still get a tune out of Ned.

As for Bellamy, *sigh*, what a player he was for us. Interestingly enough, the other teams he has played for, the supporters I have spoken to all say the same of him when he was at their team (Wham, L'pool, N'castle, Bburn). They never wanted shut of him. It's his off pitch attitude that is the killer. He's a dick basically. Fuck. Such a shame.

I never saw any sign of that. Other teams fans hate him (inc us for a while) but he backs up his mouth with his attitude and performances on the pitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:24 am 

cooder wrote:
I never saw any sign of that.

Didn't he have several well-publicised fallouts with Mancini ?

Did great for us but was a potentially disruptive influence at a time when we needed a bit of solidarity to kick on to the next level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:51 am 

His "off the pitch attitude" saw him tearing chunks out of the likes of Robinho and Jo for being lazy whining bitches and not pulling their weight. Great player to have around the squad.

If we're getting rid of players because they've fallen out with Mancini at some point or other we'll have no fuckers left.