Whence??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:03 pm 

ESM wrote:

Jo - Sven's idea, Garrry's doing
Robinho - Garrrry again, at the behest of the sheiks
Tevez - Marwood
A Johnson - Marwood
Yaya Toure - Garrrry - he'd been to Barca twice in the previous 12 months for talks and to "build a better relationship between the clubs". He was looking to sign Yaya and Eto'o and Barca were looking to sell. This deal, imo, was put in place a long time before Mancini arrived, and Hughes would have had fuck all to do with it.
Silva - Garrrry, as above - Garrrrry had been to Valencia for "talks etc" when they were skint and we were looking to sign Villa and Silva. Another that was set up without any input from any manager.
Milner - Marwood

I'd add:

NDJ & Kompany - Hughes. his "type" of players I think - he likes a dirty fucker who grafts (Savage) and a tackler who can pass (Tugay)
and from our time scouting them I suspect..
Boateng - Marwood. Jerome was coming through as a youngster at Hamburg when we'd have been over there looking at NDJ & VK. One our scouts would have recommended to Marwood/Garrrry at the time.
Kolarov - Mancini
Balotelli - Mancini

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 pm 

how about bridge, kolo, rsc (actually no, no-brainer), swp, lescott?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:41 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
how about bridge, kolo, rsc (actually no, no-brainer), swp, lescott?

how about giving us your thoughts, mod boy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:01 pm 

bridge, Real Sack of Crap, swp and lescott were hughes without a doubt, kolo not the foggiest

adebayor has the markings of marwood/garrrry.

what would you say makers the difference between a marwood or garrrrry signing? actual ability/promise versus supposed amount of prestige the player brings with them with a hint of ability thrown into consideration?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:02 pm 

bridge, Real Sack of Crap, swp and lescott were hughes without a doubt, kolo not the foggiest

I think his signing was 'one for the fans' tbh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:05 pm 

oh certainly, "i've just got the job, i may be an ex-rag but please - like me!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:14 pm 

what would you say makers the difference between a marwood or garrrrry signing? actual ability/promise versus supposed amount of prestige the player brings with them with a hint of ability thrown into consideration?

Just timing I think. I think certain deals were in place before Marwood was installed, or before he was fully into the role of managing transfers - hence the involvement of Garrry in the deals for Kaka, Silva and Yaya. Recent deals will all go though Marwood without a shadow of a doubt - he'll be the one saying to Mancini/Hughes "We're going to sign Adam Johnson/Tevez/Jerome Boateng/whoever."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:33 pm 

Jo wasn't a Sven signing, it was an incredibly fucked up and dodgy mess that had Kia Joorabchian and Thaksin's dirty fingers all over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:55 pm 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
Jo wasn't a Sven signing, it was an incredibly fucked up and dodgy mess that had Kia Joorabchian and Thaksin's dirty fingers all over.

Sven's idea though. he was the big one that Sven was after when he thought Thaksin had loads of cash to spaff about. that skinny little Mexican was another. Castillo. was he Mexican? meh. shite & a sicknote anyway. Sven had a few mates in Russian/Ukrainian football. Jo, Elano and Castillo were all from clubs over there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:25 pm 

partly the thing with signing people from russia was that this amortisation thing actually worked as described (rather than being some kind of invented thing to fuck us with the financial doping), as in we paid bits of the fee each year rather than in one go. i gather the reasons were twofold for this - thaksin didn't actually have the cash, and you can't do that inside the EU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:31 pm 

partly the thing with signing people from russia was that this amortisation thing actually worked as described (rather than being some kind of invented thing to fuck us with the financial doping), as in we paid bits of the fee each year rather than in one go. i gather the reasons were twofold for this - thaksin didn't actually have the cash, and you can't do that inside the EU.

Which would also stop us from returning Jo under the sale of goods act one suspects.