Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:31 am 

Barry, De Jong, Tevez etc etc perform week in week out. Ireland doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:36 am 

slart wrote:

Ireland had poor season, especially if you compared it to 2008/09, but he did have injury problems and more importantly IMO, he was being played out of position by Hughes in a more defensive role.
He's a quality player, but I his time with City is drawing to an end. Pity really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:48 am 

slart wrote:

Debatable. He is consistent though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:18 pm 

It is a mistake letting him go IMO. He was consitently good during his purple season but fairly anonomous last - the question is what changed? A few things, injuries and (arguably) being played out of position are major factors. Are we likely to base a team around him now? No, but he is clearly an extrermely gifted footballer who can undoubtedly make a significant contribution when he's on form. I feel we are letting go without making sure he can't do an excellent job for us.
Is he unwilling to fight for his place, do he want to go? I don't know - if that is the case then let him go otherwise I would keep hold of him for a while yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:40 pm 

He worked well with Robi when they were both awake at the same time. I'll be sad to see him go.. It's just this 25 man bollocks, stopping people fighting for a place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:11 pm 

Markered Man wrote:
It is a mistake letting him go IMO. He was consitently good during his purple season but fairly anonomous last - the question is what changed? A few things, injuries and (arguably) being played out of position are major factors. Are we likely to base a team around him now? No, but he is clearly an extrermely gifted footballer who can undoubtedly make a significant contribution when he's on form. I feel we are letting go without making sure he can't do an excellent job for us.
Is he unwilling to fight for his place, do he want to go? I don't know - if that is the case then let him go otherwise I would keep hold of him for a while yet.

I agree with you but we don't need to have players with question marks over them. He was very poor last season and I'm not sure this can be put down to some injuries and playing out of position.

He looked like he lacked confidence and that was worrying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:09 pm 

He looked good for one season in an average team even then he wasn't dependable he went missing in big games, looked good against other average teams. Thank you for all the constructive comments on this thread just shows how intelligent a lot of you are. Facts speak for themselves he definitely isn't a world class player and never will be thats why Bobby's lookin to offload him n only average teams are showing minor interest. Real, Barca Chelski Milan, Inter, Juve Bayern aren't exactly beating down our door to sign him are they?........ Wonder why that is, could it be because they don't have your rose tinted glasses on hmmmmmm:cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:15 pm 

This deal is ridiculous when Ireland and Milner are both on top form Ireland is a lot better. To swap plus loose 18 million is stupid imho, the daftest deal I've seen since the Ibrahimovic and Eto'o deal last year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:18 pm 

Unbreakable wrote:
He looked good for one season in an average team even then he wasn't dependable he went missing in big games, looked good against other average teams. Thank you for all the constructive comments on this thread just shows how intelligent a lot of you are. Facts speak for themselves he definitely isn't a world class player and never will be thats why Bobby's lookin to offload him n only average teams are showing minor interest. Real, Barca Chelski Milan, Inter, Juve Bayern aren't exactly beating down our door to sign him are they?........ Wonder why that is, could it be because they don't have your rose tinted glasses on hmmmmmm:cool:

Cant believe they are in your list of "top teams" and Beskitas are not, anyhow Ireland looked a lot more than good in the season before last and has showed good progress for many a year excluding the last. He has the potentail to be a world class player no doubt and whoever signs him will have a real gem on their hands

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:24 pm 

Gotta be honest regardless of Ireland having one good season out of how many did he receive any awards for that season? Milner was named PFA young player of the year last season and is a young lad consistantly improving year on year he works hard and contributes consistantly to the team he will be a good asset to add to the squad whereas you never know what your gonna get from Ireland who was it that let an old ginger twat run away from him to head in the winner in injury time in the Derby then look round thinkin who should have picked him up? Doesn't seem like a player who will give his all for the cause to me, too busy believing his own hype n buying chaved up cars n fish tanks, thinks he's a big time charlie only his performances on the pitch don't warrant it. Milner is a quiet lad who lives for football trains hard and dedicates himself to improving not getting column inches in the local papers he lets his feet do the talking and remains grounded always trying to improve for attitude alone he's my choice everyday of the week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:29 pm 

Unbreakable wrote:
Gotta be honest regardless of Ireland having one good season out of how many did he receive any awards for that season? Milner was named PFA young player of the year last season and is a young lad consistantly improving year on year he works hard and contributes consistantly to the team he will be a good asset to add to the squad whereas you never know what your gonna get from Ireland who was it that let an old ginger twat run away from him to head in the winner in injury time in the Derby then look round thinkin who should have picked him up? Doesn't seem like a player who will give his all for the cause to me, too busy believing his own hype n buying chaved up cars n fish tanks, thinks he's a big time charlie only his performances on the pitch don't warrant it. Milner is a quiet lad who lives for football trains hard and dedicates himself to improving not getting column inches in the local papers he lets his feet do the talking and remains grounded always trying to improve for attitude alone he's my choice everyday of the week

They are 2 competely different players though, Milners a work horse a box to box man, a poor mans Yaya toure or Gareth Barry to be honest, Irelands a playmaker they are the single hardest players to find and we have raised our own who could be world class. Milners a very good player dont get me wrong and will be welcomed with open arms when he eventually comes but imo Ireland is better, as for awards a few years ago Lampard was voted 2nd best player in the world while Gerrard was 3rd. 2 years ago Giggs hardly played and got the premier league player of the year, wouldn't base anything on stupid awards if I were you

Oh and as for the champayne charlie dig that might of been the case with Ireland 2-3 years ago but not now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:33 pm 

Fair enough, but i just dont see what Ireland has to unlock defence's at the top level I think he has good vision but lacks the talent to put it into practice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:36 pm 

Unbreakable wrote:
Fair enough, but i just dont see what Ireland has to unlock defence's at the top level I think he has good vision but lacks the talent to put it into practice

Maybe not now but I think he has the potentail and I really dont want to see that potential develop with Villa or any of our other rivals, but I supose that's the same with Ned, Michael Johnson and Weiss, I supose there just aint room for everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:44 pm 

Exactly, with the players we have available and the 25 man rule we dont have room to carry players on the basis that they may fulfill potential they have shown in the past especially given that the age they are they should now be delivering the goods, how long do we hold on for this potential to come to fruition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:48 pm 

blue mooner 1988 wrote:
They are 2 competely different players though, Milners a work horse a box to box man, a poor mans Yaya toure or Gareth Barry to be honest, Irelands a playmaker they are the single hardest players to find and we have raised our own who could be world class. Milners a very good player dont get me wrong and will be welcomed with open arms when he eventually comes but imo Ireland is better, as for awards a few years ago Lampard was voted 2nd best player in the world while Gerrard was 3rd. 2 years ago Giggs hardly played and got the premier league player of the year, wouldn't base anything on stupid awards if I were you

Oh and as for the champayne charlie dig that might of been the case with Ireland 2-3 years ago but not now

Was he not splashed all over the Evening news last season parading the Bently chav mobile he'd completely ruined for his mrs or the ridiculous lagoonesque fish tank he had installed or the superman pool table? How is he possibly gonna take the fish tank to Villa? He's believed his own hype n thought he'd got it made he was untouchable n city need him what he forgot was he was sat on the bench most weeks watching a team he thought cant manage without him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:56 pm 

Unbreakable wrote:
Was he not splashed all over the Evening news last season parading the Bently chav mobile he'd completely ruined for his mrs or the ridiculous lagoonesque fish tank he had installed or the superman pool table? How is he possibly gonna take the fish tank to Villa? He's believed his own hype n thought he'd got it made he was untouchable n city need him what he forgot was he was sat on the bench most weeks watching a team he thought cant manage without him

Haha to be fair buying a daft mobile, or a silly fish tank does not represent him thinking he's to big for the club, It's not like he is out on the piss days before big games or anything like that, the peculiar way he spends his money has nothing to do with his football unless he was getting off his face with it. The season before last he put himself through a vigorous training regime during the summer to make him a fitter, better player. A "champayne charlie" would not do this. Sometimes in football things are a more simple than people make out, the simple fact is he was injured a lot and played out of position last season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:58 pm 

Unbreakable wrote:
Exactly, with the players we have available and the 25 man rule we dont have room to carry players on the basis that they may fulfill potential they have shown in the past especially given that the age they are they should now be delivering the goods, how long do we hold on for this potential to come to fruition?

Very true what your saying and thats the way it's going to be, but does it not sadden you all the players of our great accademy being fucked off before they have chance to show how good they are. The new rule by the way is pathetic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:00 pm 

Attitude is every bit as important as talent, good players can be great by having the right attitude and applying themselves in the correct way. Equally great players can become liabilities with the wrong mindset look at Robinho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:03 pm 

Unbreakable wrote:
Attitude is every bit as important as talent, good players can be great by having the right attitude and applying themselves in the correct way. Equally great players can become liabilities with the wrong mindset look at Robinho.

With him it's very true but I really don't understand how you come to the conclusion Ireland has a bad attitude, a daft car and fish tank does not make your attitude to football poor. He never played much last season after being player of the year the season before and didn't moan or demand a move or belittle the manager, a player with a bad attitude would have done so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:05 pm 

blue mooner 1988 wrote:
Very true what your saying and thats the way it's going to be, but does it not sadden you all the players of our great accademy being fucked off before they have chance to show how good they are. The new rule by the way is pathetic

Some of them it does i believe Micheal Johnson had potential to be something special but if you look past the injuries there are many rumours n i stress rumours suggesting drug use n alcohol abuse, this is a wasted talent, Weiss I dont believe will cut it n we should not continue to carry these players. If a special player comes through the academy he will make it to the first team squad on merit. Too much is made of foreigners in our game but if young players come through and are good enough then they succeed look at Rooney, Ashley Cole, SWP etc they have all made the grade as young lads at their respective clubs and established themselves

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next