Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:12 am 

From the MUEN

Quote:
Roberto Mancini hopes to have Mario Balotelli and James Milner at Manchester City by next Thursday.

Although Martin O'Neill hinted on Friday night that Milner was on the verge of completing a big-money switch to Eastlands, the contract remains unsigned.

Milner is due to link up with the England squad ahead of Wednesday's friendly with Hungary early next week, which further complicates matters.

Balotelli has Italian national commitments as well, although Mancini is hoping to tie up both deals very swiftly once those midweek fixtures are over.

"We are close with both players but now they are going with their national teams," said Mancini after the 2-0 friendly win over Valencia.

"We hope that we can have these players by next Thursday.

"For now we have two days off and we are not going to talk about the market. Next week we will see.

"These deals could happen but we need to wait."

Should both go through it would take City's summer spending beyond £125million and confirm their status as the richest club in the world.

It is a fact not overlooked in Spain's Primera Division, with Valencia boss Unai Emery claiming they have even zoomed past Real Madrid in the wealth stakes.

"On a worldwide scale the only comparison has been Real Madrid, but City have even gone beyond that now," he said.

"They are creaming off some of the biggest players in the world. The investment has bought them a squad of great players and now they are definite contenders to win the title in England.

"It takes more than just investment of course but certainly in the Premier League I would regard them as being at the same level as both Chelsea and Manchester United."

It is Mancini's task to try and mould the huge number of stars into a winning team.

Craig Bellamy did not even get off the bench tonight, with Mancini confirming: "I cannot use 25 players in one game."

Bellamy will almost certainly resolve that situation by finding another club.

For Shay Given and Joe Hart the situation is not quite so simple.

Both men were given 45 minutes to impress as Gareth Barry and Jo scored the goals that cemented victory.

Only one will play in next Saturday's Premier League opener at Tottenham though, which must be very difficult for Hart given he is expected to start for England in midweek.

"It is not a big decision," insisted Mancini.

"I am fortunate that I have two strong goalkeepers. This is important when you have a long season with three matches every week.

"I have an idea who I will play but I still have a week to decide.

"I know whoever I pick, the other one will help that person. It is not a problem for us."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:14 am 

More from MUEN

Quote:
Manchester City will NOT be buying a bag of trouble if they can tie up a deal for Mario Balotelli this week.

The Blues are closing in on a £50m double swoop for the teenage striker and Aston Villa’s England midfielder James Milner, with manager Roberto Mancini hoping to have them both finally wrapped up by Thursday.

But Patrick Vieira, who knows Balotelli from his days at Inter Milan, says the Italy ace’s feisty reputation will not be a problem – and will, in fact, add to the character of Mancini’s increasingly impressive squad.

The manager last week laughed off suggestions that Balotelli, who had a stormy relationship with former Inter manager Jose Mourinho and with the club’s fans, would be a handful.

He likened it to handling outspoken characters like Carlos Tevez and Craig Bellamy, whose spirit has been a boon to City.

And Vieira agrees with his boss, adding that Mancini will know exactly how to extract the best from the player, who turns 20 on Thursday.

“He is a really exciting player. There is no doubt about his qualities as a football player – he is young and talented and that is really good for the future as well,” said the City midfielder.
“He is similar to Craig and Carlos. Players have their own temperament, and their own way of behaving, but what is important is that everything a player has to do, he does it for the football club.

“He hasn’t signed for us yet but he is a young talented player who enjoys his game.

“He is a good goalscorer who makes scoring goals look easy. He doesn’t need five chances to score a goal.”

Balotelli’s agent Mino Raiola has hit back strongly at suggestions that excessive wage demands have held up the proposed deal between the clubs.

He claimed that haggling over the fee is the problem, with City refusing to pay the £30m asking price, and with an £80,000-a- week wage virtually agreed.

Said Raiola: “Mario has never asked for anything because he is a boy who does not live for money but whose only passion is to play football.”

The Blues are expected to complete a deal for Milner, which would see £17m plus Stevie Ireland heading to Villa Park, in a day or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:17 am 

Also read this yesterday, just sad that Stevie is probably going. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:18 am 

It's looking like Bellers is going, which is a shame because i think he's been terrific in a City shirt. I think Ireland and Onuoha will also both go.

If Ballotelli can play like he has done in Italy, he's going to take some stopping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:23 am 

Half Bassman Half Biscuit wrote:
It's looking like Bellers is going, which is a shame because i think he's been terrific in a City shirt. I think Ireland and Onuoha will also both go.

If Ballotelli can play like he has done in Italy, he's going to take some stopping.

Do we know where to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:26 am 

bigdavecox90 wrote:
Do we know where to?

'Arry is trying to get his trotters on Craig, Ned and Micah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:27 am 

I have massive Milner / Balotelli fatigue. I don't wanna hear another word about it till they sign or fuck off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:28 am 

slart wrote:
'Arry is trying to get his trotters on Craig, Ned and Micah.

I wish he'd just fuck off and die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:29 am 

bigdavecox90 wrote:
I wish he'd just fuck off and die.

Or get thrown in jail for tax evasion/ corruption etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:30 am 

slart wrote:

That would be better as we could watch him rot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:37 am 

slart wrote:

i bet he has raped enough youth players. Should be enough to send him to jail for like, forever?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:10 am 

ireland is better than milner

http://waitforthewhistle.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:18 am 

Shimmer wrote:

In terms of skill and talent, yes I'd agree, but in terms of mental strength - unfortunately Stevie I is well behind which is a problem...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:18 am 

Shimmer wrote:

maybe. On a good day Ireland is better than anyone else in the premier league.

Unfortunately he hasn't had any of those days last year. Naturally, this doesn't mean we need to get rid of him though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:19 am 

I think it's the versatility that Milner will bring, especially with this new 25 man squad rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:29 am 

Meh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:31 am 

I'd rather Milner than Ireland if I think objectively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:41 am 

I love Beller's to bits but if I think about it rationally he is 31 and has dodgy knees so now is probably the right time to sell. Won't stop me feeling didappointed if he goes though.

With Stevie I just don't think he is mentally strong enough to tough it out for us. If he stays I will be pleased but if I'm being totally honest I won't be devastated if he leaves.

I also think Ned will leave. However, I think he just needs a sustained injury free run and he would have a chance of making it with us. I just feel currently Boateng is well ahead of Ned at a similar age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:44 am 

I think Milner is gonna suprise a few City fans. He's going to be superb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:09 pm 

Our Tommy wrote:
I love Beller's to bits but if I think about it rationally he is 31 and has dodgy knees so now is probably the right time to sell. Won't stop me feeling didappointed if he goes though.

With Stevie I just don't think he is mentally strong enough to tough it out for us. If he stays I will be pleased but if I'm being totally honest I won't be devastated if he leaves.

I also think Ned will leave. However, I think he just needs a sustained injury free run and he would have a chance of making it with us. I just feel currently Boateng is well ahead of Ned at a similar age.

Spot on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next