Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:24 am 

According to SSN, Milner has now signed his contract. It's just a case of "dotting the I's and crossing the T's" with Ireland before an official announcement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:34 am 

so where will he play, out wide or cm?

i think mancini will be looking at (when all fit)

[color="White"]...................[/color]Hart

boateng kompany toure kolarov

[color="white"].................[/color]de jong

[color="white"].....[/color]yaya[color="white"].......................[/color]milner

[color="white"].....[/color]Tevez[color="white"].......................[/color]Silva

[color="White"]...............[/color]Ade/Balotelli

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:42 am 

Timpblue wrote:
so where will he play, out wide or cm?

i think mancini will be looking at (when all fit)

[color="White"]...................[/color]Hart

boateng kompany toure kolarov

[color="white"].................[/color]de jong

[color="white"].....[/color]yaya[color="white"].......................[/color]milner

[color="white"].....[/color]Tevez[color="white"].......................[/color]Silva

[color="White"]...............[/color]Ade/Balotelli

I think for the time being he'll play in midfield replacing Barry, who will have to play leftback because they're all injured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:01 pm 

Will Mario Balotelli gamble work for Manchester City?

Balotelli is a proud Italian and determined to represent the country of his birth

By Chris Whyatt

His teenage years just days behind him, Manchester City are gambling that Mario Balotelli can now also say arrivederci to controversy and become one of the world's best footballers.

"Unquestionable talent; highly-questionable temperament" is the populist view from Milan and beyond.

But is that fair on someone who has played under the crushing pressure of racism while still, as he admits, not yet a grown man?

Balotelli celebrated his 20th birthday on Thursday, two days after making his debut for Italy in a 1-0 defeat by Ivory Coast at Upton Park, and the 6ft 3in youngster has already made waves by admitting he would have preferred to continue his club career in Italy.

Yet delve into the intriguing story of 'Super Mario', as he is dubbed, and you grasp a greater understanding of why City's Middle Eastern owners put up a reported £24m to take a spin on a risky investment.

Firstly, the base ingredients: lightning-quick, strong as an ox, good with both feet, impeccable technique, Balotelli - who, but for citizenship issues, may have been snapped up by Barcelona when he was younger - possesses rare if raw gifts.

"Mario is a crazy talent," says Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti. "With him Manchester City will challenge for the title, not just fourth."

"The guy has incredible qualities," admits Jose Mourinho, his last manager at Inter Milan with whom Balotelli endured a fractious relationship, "but sometimes does not know how to use his brain."

BALOTELLI'S TROUBLES IN ITALY
Jan 2009 Mourinho criticism: "He must change his attitude."
Apr 2009 Racially abused by Juventus fans in Italy Under-21s
Jan 2010 Fined for reaction to Chievo fans' racial abuse
Feb 2010 Left out of Inter squad, criticised by own agent
Mar 2010 Wears AC Milan shirt on an Italian TV show
Apr 2010 Throws Inter shirt to ground during win over Barcelona
And here is the rub. Mourinho is known as a manager for trying to foster particularly close relationships with his key players, yet even he was left banging his head against a wall.

"His effort in training is 25%," added Mourinho, now Real Madrid boss. "If it was at 50% he would be one of the best players in the world. I don't like the atmosphere he is bringing to the team. He lacks concentration and motivation. He must change."

What, then, makes Manchester City think he can evolve, particularly when the club is desperate to trade its reputation for instability for the continuity and calm that may bring a first trophy in 34 years?

"England is the perfect place for him to flower if he understands - I want to be the best player of my generation and not a rock star," says Beppe Severgnini, a leading Italian journalist who writes about Inter and has spent time with Balotelli recently.

"You can be a Gascoigne or a Rooney, that's what I told him. It's up to you."

The reasons for Manchester being the perfect destination at this point in his career are many, according to those who know him.

Sicily-born Balotelli - who is loyal to his beloved adoptive family from Brescia who raised him and shuns the Ghanaian parents who abandoned him at an early age - appears keen to escape the racist abuse he has endured as a symbol of multi-ethnic identity in Italy.

Juventus supporters hung banners in their stadium last year which read: "A negro cannot be Italian."

But Balotelli's older sister Cristina - who admits her adopted brother is a "bit of a rebel" but insists he is "sensitive, with very good values" - is quick to correct them.

"Mario is very proud to be black and Italian," she tells BBC Sport. "He wants to represent Italy. He was born in Italy. He's never been to Africa, not yet. His country is Italy.

"It will be easier [in England]. In your football stadiums, you don't have these kinds of episodes. Mario is always painted as a bad boy - but there is a background of racism in Italian society. He wasn't forgiven for things that you would forgive other people for.

606: DEBATE
Balotelli could be the signing of the summer: someone who will give us over 20 goals a season, guaranteed...

BlueMoon - CTID
"It was tough for him. Any bad reactions he had were just a consequence of that."

Friendly with many high-profile Italians who have moved to England, Severgnini thinks Manchester will be less of a cauldron than Milan and that Balotelli - who started out at Serie C side Lumezzane before joining Inter - can live his life with less hassle.

"Gianluca Vialli, Gianfranco Zola, Fabio Capello - they've told me it's great because it's more relaxed and there's less tension," he states. "Tension is not good for a 19-year-old kid.

"Also, there is no Champions League at City so there is less spotlight - this means it should be a better environment. Manchester compared to Milan is a smaller, and maybe a simpler, city."

But the crucial element, which the success of his move to City revolves around, is his relationship with City manager Roberto Mancini, who had enough faith to give him Balotelli his Inter Milan debut at 17.

"Mario had a very good relationship with Mancini during his time at Inter," says sister Cristina.

Severgnini picks up the theme: "I'm convinced Mancini is a good person to explain this to him: a rock star is alone on stage, but he is part of a team.

"When he was 20, Mancini was a bit like Balotelli. He was a good player but he could have done much more, for club and country. Because of that too, he knows how to deal with him."

As Mancini declared before clinching his signature: "I was the first to believe in him and I'm convinced about what he can give."

That is music to Balotelli's ears, according to his sister. "If he finds a good environment and the people support him and understand him, with a coach that does believes in him, does understand him, does make him feel important for the team - it will be easier for him.

He is perfect for the English game. He reminds me of Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira, these type of guys

Kolo Toure
"But he's very young, he can be very fragile. It's a question mark. But he has the personality to make this a success."

Perhaps she can be comforted by the words of the man who lifted the Premier League trophy in his first season after moving from Italy.

Ancelotti believes the Premier League is "the ideal place for Balotelli" because: "There is too much pressure on young players in Italy, and there is almost no racism to contend with in England."

After 60 minutes spent trying to shackle Balotelli on his international debut, Kolo Toure also came to the conclusion that his new club team-mate is suited to blood-and-thunder Premier League football.

"He is perfect for the English game," he said. "He reminds me of Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira, these type of guys.

"They have a really strong mentality and, in the Premier League, we like those kind of players."

And what about shining on the biggest stage, say, a Manchester derby for a place in the Champions League come the end of the season?

Severgnini insists that big matches - without abuse being hurled at him from the stands - are bread and butter for Balotelli: "He ignores tension and pressure on the pitch. It is unbelievable."

City's long-suffering fans might just have rare cause for believing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:44 pm 

Milner has signed. Ireland has gone.

On OS now.

Bittersweet is the word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:51 pm 

I'm happy with the signing of milner, one of the best english footballers of his generation

sad to loose stevie but he wasn't going to get any football under mancini

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:05 pm 

our favourite station saying that Balotelli has said that if he doesn't play he's off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:09 pm 

done deal !!

P.S: he looks so happy lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:51 pm 

James Milner signed up for Roberto Mancini's Blues Revolution today and immediately joined the City manager in setting his sights on finishing top of the pile next May.

England midfielder Milner completed his move from Aston Villa this afternoon then assured Blues fans that nothing but the big prize will satisfy his ambition - or long-term admirer Mancini's for that matter.

James, who joins in a deal that takes Stephen Ireland to Villa Park, admitted: "It didn't take too much selling by the boss when you see the players who are already here and the plans for the club.

"The last thing he said to me was 'be ready for the next game', and then he said 'be ready to win the Premier League', and that's my ultimate aim - that's what I want to do and why I'm here.

"There's a lot of competition to get there, it's where we all want to be. I'm ambitious and I want to win trophies here. I believe this is a great place to do that and I believe we will do it. Hopefully, sooner rather than later."

Milner's transfer was first mooted before this summer's World Cup, where he featured in England's campaign, and he added: "The move seems to have gone on a long time - now all I want to do is get out on the field and play.

I'm ready and raring to go now we've finally got everything done. I can't wait to start a new chapter

"This is a great club that's going places very quickly. I played at Maine Road with Leeds and the new stadium has always had a great atmosphere when I've played here."

Having made his League debut at 16, Milner has acquired huge experience at 24 - including a remarkable 45 Under-21 caps - but he expects City's stellar squad to help him become an even better player.

James, poised for a League debut in the home opener against Liverpool on Monday night, said: "If you're not improving and learning every day then there's something wrong.

"I've been lucky with my team-mates and managers, and you have to learn when you are surrounded by top players. You try to take the best things out of their game, add them to your own, and try to become the best player you can."

I love the positivity from Bobby and JM but is this not what they call putting a foot in it??? Setting their sights as PL champions for next May, i wish no player or manager would say that but keep it to themselves. It would end up biting us in the arse if we don't finish top. I laugh me head off when Liverpool fans says it every season that's why i'd rather keep it under wraps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:12 am 

b2b wrote:

done deal !!

P.S: he looks so happy lol

that is a cracking grin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:50 am 

Quality signing' Quality Player. - Looks extremely happy to be joining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:03 am 

hello you

just got out again eh?

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:35 am 

Any news on Balotelli's injury?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:30 am 

Mancini said he'd be ready for Monday evening.
Not sure if that's just a story for the dippers benefit though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:50 am 

Roberto Mancini hails Mario Balotelli after debut goal

Balotelli came on as a substitute for Gareth Barry

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini saluted new striker Mario Balotelli after the Italian secured a first-leg Europa League advantage for his side.

The 20-year-old came off the bench to net the only goal in the 1-0 play-off victory over Timisoara in Romania.

"He had a great debut. I am happy he scored. He's a good player," said Mancini after the win.

"He needs to improve of course and get to know everybody. It was the first time he had played with the team."

Balotelli joined City from Inter Milan earlier this month for a fee thought to be about £24m.

Mancini, however, said that Balotelli needed to learn to keep his temper in check following a late booking.

606: DEBATE
Balotelli is better than Torres. Discuss.

Inky Gibson
"We must work on this with him because it will be different in the Premier League than in Italy," added the City coach.

Mancini played down a late knock sustained by Balotelli, saying that he expected the Italian to be available to face Liverpool in the Premier League at home on Monday.

"We do not think it is serious. It was probably just a kick, it is not a problem," he said.

"It was a difficult game for us because Timisoara are a good team and they played very well in the first half.

"In the end, it is a good result for us. But they made it difficult for us by getting so many players behind the ball.

"All the players played well, especially in the second half and we moved the ball quickly. When [Adam] Johnson came on, he also did well.

"I think we deserved to score another goal because we had three or four good chances."

Mancini stressed that the tie was not over and there was still work to be done at Eastlands.

"Football is strange," said Mancini. "When you think you can win easy, you must have maximum concentration."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:57 am 

i heard 18mill plus stevie... seems ok enough to me if true. Better than the 30mill cash they wanted before

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:35 am 

Stephen Ireland blasts Manchester City after leaving for Aston Villa
• Mancini 'doesn't have a relationship with players'
• Milner 'in for a big shock' when he gets to Eastlands
(64)
Tweet this (148)
Stuart James
guardian.co.uk, Friday 20 August 2010 23.00 BST
Article history
Stephen Ireland spent nine years at Manchester City, and has accused the club of a lack of loyalty. Photograph: Alex Morton/Action Images
Stephen Ireland last night lifted the lid on life at Manchester City with an astonishing attack on his former club. Ireland, who joined Aston Villa this week as part of the deal that took James Milner in the opposite direction, tore into everyone, from the manager Roberto Mancini to the club's "money-obsessed" young players, as he revealed the full extent of his anger at the way he has been treated.

The Irishman was prevented from discussing the details of the financial pay-off he received from City because of a confidentiality agreement he has signed – he is believed to have picked up a little more than half the £2m he was demanding – but every other subject was considered fair game as he reeled off a list of complaints that painted a bleak picture of his final 12 months at City. Ireland's tirade included:

• Warning James Milner he will get a shock if he thinks the grass is greener at City

• Claiming Mancini has no relationship with any of the players

• Insisting he is as good as if not better than any of the new signings

• Accusing City's young players of wearing £10,000 watches and believing they are Premier League stars

• Describing City as a club where loyalty is no longer recognised

• Branding Mancini's criticism of his attitude unfair because he was the "best player in training"

It was a remarkable assault on City and will make for uncomfortable reading when the club's officials, players and supporters wade though Ireland's diatribe. The midfielder, who is expected to make his Villa debut at Newcastle on Sunday on his 24th birthday, spoke about City as if they were a club he could not wait to leave. "I think Aston Villa got a really good deal," he said. "I guess James Milner must think the grass is greener on the other side. He's going to get a shock soon because it's definitely not that way.

"I've really landed on my feet here. I think it's a family club and one that will get the best out of me. I am actually shocked at how good it is. I've settled in so well, so fast. Even the young lads are so polite. I'm actually quite shocked with that. At City they're not like that. They're coming in with £10,000 watches on their wrists and walking around as if they have played 200 Premier League games."

Ireland, who has a reputation for spending his own money quite lavishly, came through City's youth system and spent nine years at the club, but he felt as though the service he gave them counted for nothing in the end.

"I don't think loyalty is much in anyone's mind at Manchester City," he said. "I felt like I would be next [to leave]. A lot of players felt like that as well – the homegrown guys."

The former City trainee said he had not spoken a word to Mancini before he left although he suggested there is little communication between the manager and his former team-mates full stop. "He doesn't really build relationships with players," said Ireland. "He brought Patrick Vieira in and when I spoke to him about his relationship [with Mancini], he said he doesn't really have one, and he's worked for him for years. I think that's the way he is."

Ireland won the player of the year award at City in 2009 but he was a peripheral figure last season, in particular after Mancini replaced Mark Hughes in December. When asked about Ireland's lack of action last season, the Italian implied the midfielder had an attitude problem, when he claimed he needed to "change his head". Ireland remains deeply upset with those comments.

"I think that was really unfair, all the players know I was the first player into training and the last to leave," he said. "I worked the hardest. With all the heart-rate monitors and tests, I was always No1, far ahead of everyone. You see the performance in training and I was practically always the best player in training. If [Mancini's] standing there watching that, I don't know how he doesn't see that."

Another wave of big names have arrived at Eastlands this summer but Ireland claimed he is as good as any of them. "I'm not really a highly-self-confident person," he said, with no hint of what was to come. "But I can honestly say Manchester City have tried to replace me for the last three or four seasons and it's never happened. I can easily say I've got, if not more ability, as much ability as any player they have signed this year."

Ireland described the way his time with City ended as "heartbreaking" but he is adamant he is heading in the right direction. "I can understand why James Milner has gone there but I can tell him that I'm very happy to leave there and come here," he said. "Some people have used the phrase that I've been forced out. I couldn't be more happy to be forced to come here, to a club like Aston Villa."

tbh, his 6 claims.... probably aren't that far from the truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:59 am 

Stephen doesn't look happy. Poor fella. :(

Yeah, ofcourse he sayz Villa is all this and that, but look at that face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:45 am 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
Stephen Ireland blasts Manchester City after leaving for Aston Villa
• Mancini 'doesn't have a relationship with players'
• Milner 'in for a big shock' when he gets to Eastlands
(64)
Tweet this (148)
Stuart James
guardian.co.uk, Friday 20 August 2010 23.00 BST
Article history
Stephen Ireland spent nine years at Manchester City, and has accused the club of a lack of loyalty. Photograph: Alex Morton/Action Images
Stephen Ireland last night lifted the lid on life at Manchester City with an astonishing attack on his former club. Ireland, who joined Aston Villa this week as part of the deal that took James Milner in the opposite direction, tore into everyone, from the manager Roberto Mancini to the club's "money-obsessed" young players, as he revealed the full extent of his anger at the way he has been treated.

The Irishman was prevented from discussing the details of the financial pay-off he received from City because of a confidentiality agreement he has signed – he is believed to have picked up a little more than half the £2m he was demanding – but every other subject was considered fair game as he reeled off a list of complaints that painted a bleak picture of his final 12 months at City. Ireland's tirade included:

[...]

Just sayin'...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:22 am 

as with dunne, i'd say entirely entitled to it. he had been signed on a lucrative long term contract, had been a loyal employee and is then given the boot with little real justification. faces loss of earnings as a result, so yeah, fuck it - shame he didn't get more.

our loss.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12