Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:01 am 

cod head wrote:

Phew. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:11 am 

Shit just got even more exciting. This is Mancio's team now, he has all his own tools, let's see what happens. Genuine excitement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:24 am 

ESM wrote:
No sign of this on the OS, the link posted earlier is down.

Wonder if there's a hitch..........:whistle:

man city dont do hitches any more:rolleyes:

and dont ever forget disco pants

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:30 am 

I'm guessing he won't be able to play tomorrow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:49 am 

bigdavecox90 wrote:
I'm guessing he won't be able to play tomorrow?

nope not done in time,
wolves at ome he shall be unleashed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:46 am 

picking up Chinese kids .... isn't that banned :)

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
My mate lives in Ealing and I'm driving down to stay at his tomorrow night because I've got some chinese kids to pick up from heathrow at 5am sunday morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:27 pm 

davidfitz22 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfo0E0UJVmw

Even if you just do this again,you'll be a hero

We may have to buy the fella that crossed the ball in too... ;)

Seriously though I wonder how much Mancio will change things to suit him, whether he might think about playing AJ on the left now and tell him to whip a first time ball in, rather than playing him on the right and cutting inside for a shot every time. We should also fine Kolarov a week's wages every time he shoots from a crossable position.

Brilliant signing though, well done to all those involved in making it happen. As has already been said, the final peice of the jigsaw this. I love signing players like Dzeko and Silva who are the right age with the potential to get even better, rather than spending big on players with big reputations who are already passed their best. Can't WAIT for the Wolves game :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:42 pm 

Just got home from a week with no electricity/internet.

This was the perfect 'welcome home' present. Utterly fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:25 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
We may have to buy the fella that crossed the ball in too... ;)

Seriously though I wonder how much Mancio will change things to suit him, whether he might think about playing AJ on the left now and tell him to whip a first time ball in, rather than playing him on the right and cutting inside for a shot every time. We should also fine Kolarov a week's wages every time he shoots from a crossable position.

Brilliant signing though, well done to all those involved in making it happen. As has already been said, the final peice of the jigsaw this. I love signing players like Dzeko and Silva who are the right age with the potential to get even better, rather than spending big on players with big reputations who are already passed their best. Can't WAIT for the Wolves game :)

I'm looking to 5-10 games down the line when they've all started bedding in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:41 pm 

Just watched interview on OS, I think I love him.
He speaks brilliant english tbf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:48 pm 

EalingBlue wrote:
Just watched interview on OS, I think I love him.
He speaks brilliant english tbf.

and he looks like he's really saying what he feels and not just bullshit to satisfy the fans.........

.........well at least it seemed so to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:18 pm 

Dzeko's English >>> Rooney's English.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:25 am 

Just watched both the videos of dzeko, on the os..
Interview was great, but the first day in training, i caught myself sat the with a daft grin on my face..
Really cool to watch that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:44 am 

really impressed with what i have seen on th os.....seems a top bloke with a great attitude....hope this really works out and he goes on to be a city great!!! really excited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:54 am 

Seems he is familiar with war zones so the club has rented him a house in Moss Side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:01 pm 

Just watched the video's on the OS, how can you not like this guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:19 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
Seems he is familiar with war zones so the club has rented him a house in Moss Side.

deserved a boac

Dazzling Dzeko set to shine at Manchester City

Dzeko has been captaining Wolfsburg, managed by Englishman Steve McClaren

By Sam Sheringham

Strange as it may sound, Manchester City may have the rescued Chilean miners to thank for their capture of Edin Dzeko.

The prolific Wolfsburg striker appeared certain to make a move to German giants Bayern Munich until their very own frontman Mario Gomez was awakened from his slumber by a symbolic message from another continent.

Without a goal since February, the superstitious Germany international was informed in October that one of the 33 miners winched to safety after 69 days trapped deep underground was also named Mario Gomez.

Inspired by what he later called "a sign of destiny", Gomez - who wears the number 33 shirt - duly scored a hat-trick in his team's 3-0 victory over Hanover 96.

Twenty goals later, Gomez has re-established himself as the main man at Bayern, leading the club to cool their interest in Dzeko and paving the way for City to prise the Bosnian from Wolfsburg on a four-year deal .

We were always having to hide when shots rang out or bombs fell. You could get shot at any time

Dzeko on his childhood
Dzeko, 24, may have been outshone by Gomez in the German scoring charts this season but there seems little doubt City are gaining a player of considerable talent as they step up their chase for a first league title since 1968.

"He's the total package," said Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, an international team-mate of the 6ft 3in forward, whose 26 league goals helped drive unheralded Wolfsburg to their first Bundesliga title in 2009.

"He's a great signing for Man City and he's definitely worth the money, especially with the market these days," Begovic told BBC Sport. "He's big, good in the air and he can finish with both feet.

"He's got a proven goal-scoring record in a very tough league in Germany. When he's on his game, he's as good as anybody."

While Dzeko's transfer fee, not disclosed but thought to be about £27m, and reported wages of £150,000 a week will no doubt raise eyebrows ahead of the introduction of Uefa's Financial Fair Play rules, City boss Roberto Mancini has long seen the Bosnian as a crucial addition in an area where the side have become over-reliant on one man.

Carlos Tevez has scored twice as many league goals this season (12) as City's four other strikers - Mario Balotelli, Roque Santa Cruz, Emmanuel Adebayor and Jo - put together.

Indeed, the Bosnian's aerial prowess could add another dimension to a side that had not scored a header all season until Joleon Lescott's goal against Aston Villa on 28 December.

"He's easily one of the top 10 strikers in the world," European scout Tor-Kristian Karlsen told BBC Sport.

"He can do a little bit of everything, and everything he does, he does very well. He is big and strong, which is ever so important these days, and he's great in the air, which I think is going to make the main difference for City.

"Jo, Santa Cruz and Adebayor are big men but they are not producing.

"Dzeko is also very good technically, which is not that common for a guy who is tall and good in the air. He can shoot and score with both feet, which is rare and gives you added options.

"Some people say he is slow but I don't necessarily agree. Like all tall players, he doesn't really have the acceleration you see in players who are shorter but once he gets into his stride he's very hard to knock off the ball. He's a good fit for the Premier League."

Dzeko's journey to the upper echelons of world football began with a traumatic childhood in war-torn Sarajevo.

DZEKO FACT FILE

Place of birth: Sarajevo
2003-2005: Zeljeznicar (40 games, 5 goals)
2005-2007: Teplice (43, 16)
2007-2011: Wolfsburg (111, 66)
National team: Bosnia & Hercegovina (31,17)
When he was six, his family home was destroyed, forcing Dzeko and 15 other relatives to live together in his grandparents' small apartment.

"I was very afraid every day," Dzeko has said of his upbringing. "We were always having to hide when shots rang out or bombs fell. You could get shot at any time. I cried a lot in those days.

"A lot of footballers start by kicking a ball in the street. For me, that was impossible."

According to Begovic, who grew up in Germany and Canada after his family fled Bosnia during the war, Dzeko's upbringing has imbued him with a mental toughness which has helped him reach the top.

"I think having to go through a tough experience like that as a youngster, as many Bosnians have, has made him a much stronger person," said Begovic.

"He won't be fazed by a big move to a big team and the pressure doesn't worry him.

"He is very much a leader on the pitch. He has captained the national side a couple of times and is looked up to by the coaching staff."

After such a turbulent childhood, it is perhaps unsurprising that Dzeko made a stuttering start to his career.

He began life as a midfielder, but after two unimpressive seasons at Bosnian club Zeljeznicar he was sold to Czech side Teplice for £45,000.

Converted into a striker, his performances steadily improved and it was during a loan spell at Usti in the Czech second division that he began to show signs of the player he would go on to become.

Dzeko returned to Teplice for the 2006/07 season and scored 13 goals, making him the top scorer in the Czech top flight.

It was during this season that Karlsen - then working for Hanover - and a number of other leading scouts began to get wind of a potential new star in the making.

"I saw him pretty early in the season and there were already quite a few clubs looking at him," Karlsen recalled. "People compared him to Dimitar Berbatov and that was a selling point. His agent got clubs excited about him and invited them to watch him.

"As he started to really make his mark his price went up and it was left to a few clubs who would be prepared to take that risk."

606: DEBATE
Dzeko is considered the best striker Germany have in their league - this guy could win us the title

city4me
That club was Wolfsburg, who were persuaded to part with four million euros on the basis of reports from their chief scout Uli Mohr.

"He had some good matches and some bad matches but you could see he had something special," said Mohr. "He was quick, big and was good with both feet.

"He had a great shot but in one-on-one situations, he was clinical. He made everything look easy."

At Wolfsburg, Dzeko linked up with coach Felix Magath, who Mohr credits with instilling a new focus into the player and ridding him of one of the scourges of the modern game.

"He had some problems in the Bundesliga because he was always diving," said Mohr. "He was falling at every contact with the opponent.

"Magath has encouraged him to be more aggressive. He stays on his feet, protects the ball and for me he has become a very good player.

"He has potential to become even better at Man City. He's a good age to make the next step and I think he will score lots of goals."

After a modest eight-goal return in his first season in the Bundesliga, Dzeko's career took off the following year when his near-telepathic understanding with Brazilian strike-partner Grafite drove Wolfsburg to a historic league title.

Between them, the duo netted 54 league goals, ousting Bayern legends Gerd Muller and Uli Hoeness as the highest-scoring partnership in Bundesliga history and firmly establishing the Wolfsburg strikers as two of the hottest properties in world football.

Dzeko, whose goals were all from open play, added 22 goals in the following season and has scored 10 times in 17 games this term, despite the team struggling in the bottom half of the table under former England boss Steve McClaren.

He has also made his mark on international football, scoring a rasping half-volley with his less-favoured right foot on his debut against Turkey in 2008 and finding the net nine times as Bosnia-Hercegovina narrowly missed out on qualification for the World Cup.

"He has been everything, the focal point of our team," added Begovic. "He's the face of our national team and a big player for us.

"It's not only his goals, his presence in and around the box gives other people opportunities to score."

Adebayor, Santa Cruz and Jo could all be on their way out of Eastlands
How soon Dzeko gets the chance to prove his pedigree is open to debate.

With Tevez very much the club's number one forward, and Balotelli starting to establish himself as a capable alternative, Dzeko may have to bide his time for an opportunity.

But when that chance comes, Karlsen expects Dzeko to seize it.

"He's never really been in the situation of having to fight for his place because he's been the main man at Wolfsburg," said Karlsen. "But I would assume that he would be very high up the pecking order.

"I think Tevez will be his main competitor, with Balotelli maybe playing in a wide area, unless Mancini finds a way to play the three of them together which is also a possibility.

"With his heading ability and power, I think Dzeko has some attributes which the others lack. I think Mancini rates him very highly and is extremely excited about signing him."

If all goes to plan and Dzeko helps end City's 42-year wait for the title, the tale of the Bosnian, the German striker and his Chilean namesake may just etch itself in the club's folklore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:59 pm 

Seems to be a lot of shit talk from other fans..so if you are a lurker ( especially a rag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:25 pm 

Quote:
manchester city striker edin dzeko has wasted no time in stoking the fire between his new club and their cross-city rivals manchester united.

The bosnian joined city from wolfsburg for a reported fee of £27m last week.

"i have heard a lot about the fans and that most of the people from manchester are manchester city fans," the 24-year-old said at a news conference.

:D

Quote:
premier league leaders united are two points ahead of city in the table, with two games in hand.

Since billionaire arab tycoon sheikh mansour completed his takeover in 2009, city's spending has eclipsed that of their local rivals at old trafford.

He is different from the other players we have. Now we have a good mix. I hope he can score a lot of goals like in germany

city also angered united in the summer of 2009 by displaying a "welcome to manchester" poster on completing the transfer of carlos tevez from his advisors, the argentine striker having spent the 2007-08 and 2008-09 campaigns on loan at united, who had deemed an asking price of £25m to be excessive.

United manager sir alex ferguson retorted by branding city a "small club" while later describing them as "noisy neighbours" after his side's controversial 4-3 derby victory in september 2009.

Dzeko's signing is further proof of city's financial clout and the striker added that he was relishing the prospect of playing for a club he believes are well equipped to match his own ambitions.

"i saw something else in man city. It's a big club and i'm an ambitious player and i think we can have a lot of success together," he continued.

"it's a project. I need to say it's a very good team with a very good coach. It was three-and-a-half beautiful years with wolfsburg and we had a lot of success, winning the league for the first time in our history.

"i was very happy there but i wanted to change, try something new and better and that's why i'm here."
city manager roberto mancini hailed the signing of the bosnian international, who has scored 66 goals in 111 games in germany, including 10 goals in 17 league games this season.

"i am very happy the club bought dzeko," italian mancini stated. "i think he'll be a very important player for the future of this club.

"we wanted him in the summer because we knew he was the perfect player for us. He is different from the other players we have. Now we have a good mix. I hope he can score a lot of goals like in germany.

"i think we spoke with him six months ago for the first time. We wanted to know if there was a chance to buy him but we do this now in january.

"it's important because now we are in a good position in the league. With one player like him we can improve in the premier league and the europa league. We have more chances in this moment."

although dzeko's signing is expected to trigger the departures of fellow strikers emmanuel adebayor and roque santa cruz, the bosnian will still form part of an impressive forward unit available to mancini, alongside jo, mario balotelli and tevez.

wtf??!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:42 pm 

Dannys studs and afterburn gotta mention on Radio Manchesters Blue Tuesday. The forums famous!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next