Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:42 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
It was Ned. On Soccer AM. Last Saturday.

Darlo did Ned not say SWP?? I think it was SWP or Didi that said Ireland was the most skilfull when he did the interview on Soccer Am a couple of years ago, I remember someone said it was Ireland as I was a little shocked as he had not had his good season at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:59 am 

Milner is an excellent player and exactly what our midfield was crying out for last season

having said that, anything more than a flat out 25 mill or 20 mill with add ons is taking the piss

if our bid does total 24/25 mill then it should be a take it or leave it offer

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:00 am 

blueduck wrote:
Villa's spokesman has said they have rejected a bid. This feels like the Lescott saga all over again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8693557.stm

...and every team knows they can ask what they want. Dammit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:15 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:

which is why it is important to make what we consider to be a sensible offer and not get dragged into a lescott situation

if they think that milner is worth more or want to keep him, fine, we got for the second target on the list........or even get ireland right

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:18 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:

They'll ask for a lot of cash but not to the point where they'll jepordise the deal.

Villa need the cash and they don't want to piss on their chips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:46 am 

Ths Milner affair is a forerunner of what will unfold with every proposed transfer to City this summer.

We have offered 20m and O'Neill has, rightly from his point of view, said no cos he knows we will offer more. In the meantime SAF has purportedly offered 28m probably just to boost the price. Milner will now think that he can go there and play in the champs league. I would not be surprised if Chelsea are not sniffing around in the background and Arsenal as well, particularly should they lose Fabregas.

The same will happen with Torres and anyone else you want to mention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:55 am 

Arsenal and the rags won't be able to outbid us for players. Chelsea can match us.

However, these teams have CL footy and this will be a greater attraction than Europa footy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:49 am 

slart wrote:
Arsenal and the rags won't be able to outbid us for players. Chelsea can match us.

However, these teams have CL footy and this will be a greater attraction than Europa footy.

Arsenal will have plenty of dough once they've agreed a price on Fabregas. Milner would be the ideal replacement for him, which is maybe why City are going in for him early.

Be surprised if he came to us tbf - it would be based on wages alone wouldn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:50 am 

Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire (originally from denton mcr)
they rejected it, so the scenario at the world cup possibly will be Barry, Hart, Shaun and Adam talking to Milner, Milner then has a fantastic world cup asks to be put on the transfer list because of the good things he has heard and we end up forking out 30m...

Oh well c'est la vie....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:59 am 

blueinyorkshire wrote:
Barry, Hart, Shaun and Adam talking to Milner,

Can't see SWP having too many good things to say about Marwood, Garrrrry et al. Hart won't know a great deal about them wither will he?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:41 am 

Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire (originally from denton mcr)
Bastard wrote:
Can't see SWP having too many good things to say about Marwood, Garrrrry et al. Hart won't know a great deal about them wither will he?

I believe Shaun wants to be at city for the duration....and Joe Hart will be our number 1 eventually....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:56 am 

blueinyorkshire wrote:
I believe Shaun wants to be at city for the duration....and Joe Hart will be our number 1 eventually....

Both of these are what you want to happen but aren't relistic.

I agree Sweep would probably like to be with us for the duration, but won't be up for spending the rest of his career on the bench. He'll go wherever he can get regular first team football, Newcastle being the latest club linked.

Likewise Hart won't stick around to be our number 1 'eventually'. If he's not our number 1 by the end of next season he won't be on our books the following season. Be interesting to see what happens at the start of next season, if Given's still out whether Joe will be given chance keep hold of the shirt if he does well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:45 pm 

there are some unconfirmed reports that we have gone back with a bid 25mill plus add ons

that should be the last bid i hope

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:46 pm 

Timpblue wrote:
there are some unconfirmed reports that we have gone back with a bid 25mill plus add ons

We hope. I stand beside you Timps. *puffs chest*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:24 pm 

Timpblue wrote:

JAMES MILNER WON`T COMMIT TO VILLA
Posted 20/05/10 14:11EmailPrintSave

James Milner to join by the end of 2010 Summer Transfer Window. Click here to bet.
James Milner is content to put his club future on hold until after the World Cup but admits he does not know if he will still be at Aston Villa next season.

Milner insists he is focused 100% on helping England achieve glory in South Africa.

But the midfielder is in demand after an outstanding season, with Manchester City tabling a £20million bid on Wednesday for the 24-year-old which was instantly rejected by Villa.

Milner has two years remaining of his current deal at Villa Park which he signed when he made a club record £12million switch from Newcastle in the summer of 2008.

He is due to hold talks over a new contract but is adamant his priority is helping Fabio Capello's side in South Africa - assuming he is part of the final 23-man squad.

Milner said: "Do I expect to be at Villa next season? I don't know. I've worked as hard as I can and concentrated on club football while the season has been on.

"Now it has finished, I'm focusing on England - and that's the only thing I am focusing on.

"The speculation about my own future is not distracting. There are always going to be rumours about every player in every club when the transfer window opens.

"To be linked with any clubs is flattering but I'm just concentrating on England at this time.

"The season finished at Villa a week and a bit ago and we all said we would discuss it (my future) after the World Cup.

"I've enjoyed my time at Aston Villa, it's a good club, we've had a lot of success this season, came close in two competitions, and we are moving forward."

Capello recently described Milner as "the future" for England and he has made great strides this season at Villa after being switched into a central midfield role by manager Martin O'Neill.

But the PFA Young Player Of The Year is determined not to rest on his laurels.

He said: "It is nice to hear praise from any manager but it is then down to you to prove that correct and drive on again and try and improve again.

"You can't stand still especially with the competition that is about. You just want to become the best player possible and do as well as you can every time you train or play a game.

"Have I improved? You would like to think you've improved every season and I am lucky enough to be working at a good club with a great manager and staff and some very good players.

"There are some very good players here with England and, if you can't learn anything from playing with those sort of players, you are going to struggle.

"I'll just keep playing as well as I can and hopefully force my way into the 23."

Milner is the most capped player for England at Under-21 level but knows the World Cup will be an extra step up.

He said: "The World Cup is the biggest competition you can play in. The whole world is watching.

"As a player, you want to play against the best players, test yourself, and play in the best tournaments, whether its the Champions League or World Cups.

"Every player is desperate to get on the plane to South Africa and prove themselves on the biggest stage."

Milner poses a biggest threat as an attack-minded midfielder but is ready to drop anchor and fill the void left by the more defensive-orientated Gareth Barry if his former Villa team-mate is ruled out through injury.

He said: "Whether there is a role for me in place of Gareth is down to the manager. If he asks me to play there, I'll be prepared to play there.

"I've played there most of the season. I'm happy there, there is no difference to playing there than with your club. I'll be happy to play there."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:27 pm 

usual blandness

could be there, might not be, will concentrate on england until after world cup

didn't expect anything else really

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:44 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
In the meantime SAF has purportedly offered 28m probably just to boost the price.

No

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:13 pm 

It'll all be left until after the world cup now.

Nothing more will be said until then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:36 pm 

Someone made a brilliant point on the radio earlier which i hadn't thought of meself.

As much as i'd love Milner to be a City player come next season,isn't it wrong to be going about this so close to the World cup. We want every England player focused on winning the world cup, not thinking about where he might be playing next season.

should probably open the transfer window till after the WC/Euros.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:45 pm 

I reckon the rest will be done behind the scenes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next