Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: james milner
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:30 pm 

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11679_6160294,00.html

Skysports.com understands Manchester City have tabled a big money offer for Aston Villa winger James Milner.

The England international enjoyed a sparkling 2009/10 campaign, considerably raising his profile.

Reports in January speculated that a number of top clubs were keeping tabs on the talented 24-year-old, with it widely believed that there is still more to come from him in the future.

City have now made the first move, with it believed that Roberto Mancini is willing to part with around £20million to take the reigning PFA Young Player of the Year to Eastlands.

It is easy to understand why the Blues are so keen on the former Leeds and Newcastle man, as he has just finished his most productive season to date.

A respectable return of 12 goals from midfield marks him out as a useful addition to any side, while his versatility can also prove priceless.
Busy summer

Milner is able to operate on either flank or at full-back, while he blossomed in the centre of midfield for Villa since being shifted inside by Martin O'Neill.

He has been included in Fabio Capello's preliminary squad for this summer's World Cup and is widely regarded as a shoo-in to make the final cut.

Villa have yet to respond to the offer on the table from City but will be reluctant to part with their key performers.

Unfortunately for O'Neill, there are plenty of other teams rumoured to be ready to make a move and he could be in for a busy summer.

Premier League champions Chelsea are also said to be keen on Milner and they could be tempted to chance their arm in an effort to prevent one of their rivals from strengthening their squad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:10 pm 

Would be a good, young, English signing, I like how Mancini is also trying to get some young English players together.

I also heard we're trying to sign another young English player. :whistle:

^^ Hint?
;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:33 pm 

Milner's undoubtly a good player but I've got 3 reservations about buying him -

1. We're still yet to see the best out of the previous midfielder we got from Villa who was awesome for them.
2. He's only really had 1 excellent season.
3. It would probably spell the end of Stevie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:06 pm 

He's had one very good season. Hardly makes him worth 20+ million.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:12 am 

bluto46 wrote:
they could be tempted to chance their arm in an effort to prevent one of their rivals from strengthening their squad.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:11 am 

cannot understand why people are questioning the price, milner will be an england regular for the next decade, english players cost more and he happens to be excellent

oh, by the way? 20 mill? over MON's cold, dead body

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:55 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
Milner's undoubtly a good player but I've got 3 reservations about buying him -

1. We're still yet to see the best out of the previous midfielder we got from Villa who was awesome for them.
2. He's only really had 1 excellent season.
3. It would probably spell the end of Stevie.

blueduck wrote:
He's had one very good season. Hardly makes him worth 20+ million.

He's had more than one good season. He played very well the season before but all the media focus was aimed at Young and Agbonlahor. he was also really quite good when he was back at Newcastle as well. He and N'Zogbia were the two stand-outs in the squad in the post-Shearer era.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:28 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
He's had more than one good season. He played very well the season before but all the media focus was aimed at Young and Agbonlahor. he was also really quite good when he was back at Newcastle as well. He and N'Zogbia were the two stand-outs in the squad in the post-Shearer era.

Did he not also play more games for the England U21 than anyone else?

I say take him, if Ireland goes he goes, there is no room for nostalgia anymore, or so I am told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:31 am 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:

I say take him, if Ireland goes he goes, there is no room for nostalgia anymore, or so I am told.

To be fair, people are going on about Milner having "one good season" - how many has Ireland had ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:12 am 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:

Considering he was playing for them till he was 23, yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:18 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
Considering he was playing for them till he was 23, yes.

I hate that rule. I think being 21 and playing for the 'under 21's' is pushing it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:24 am 

Villa are now our feeder club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:56 am 

Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire (originally from denton mcr)
slart wrote:
Villa are now our feeder club.

i like it....

we also use villa park for our old donkeys to retire and graze....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:48 pm 

blueinyorkshire wrote:
i like it....

we also use villa park for our old donkeys to retire and graze....

and get to more cup finals than they did with us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:04 pm 

City woo Stephen Ireland and Wright-Phillips to meet 'homegrown' rule• City manager keen to placate English wantaways
• Clubs must have eight homegrown players in 25-man squad
Tweet this (21)Daniel Taylor guardian.co.uk, Monday 17 May 2010 21.14 BST Article history
Stephen Ireland is unhappy at his limited chances at Manchester City. 'There is a lot of frustraiton bottled up,' he said. Photograph: John Walton/Empics Sport

Roberto Mancini's plans for an extensive recruitment programme at Manchester City, with James Milner and Fernando Torres the main targets, will be accompanied by attempts behind the scenes to placate disaffected players such as Stephen Ireland and Shaun Wright‑Phillips in the light of the Premier League's new 'homegrown rule'.

While Mancini has received the financial backing of the Abu Dhabi United Group to target players for a sustained challenge in next season's Premier League, City's immense spending power is offset by the knowledge they will have to include eight homegrown footballers in a 25-man squad to be submitted at the end of the August transfer window.

Ireland has already informed the club's chief executive, Garry Cook, and the football administrator, Brian Marwood, that he may leave and has spoken publicly of there being "a lot of frustration bottled up because I have not played as much as I would have liked". That disclosure prompted Mancini to say the midfielder needed to "change his head".

Nedum Onuoha, an England Under‑21 international, has similar grievances to Ireland and spoke at the weekend of his frustrations with the Mancini regime – "the new manager came in and I don't think he liked me," he said – whereas Wright-Phillips has been locked in a contract dispute. His father, the former Arsenal striker Ian Wright, has accused Marwood and Cook of "mugging him off" and "treating him like a youth-team player".

In ordinary circumstances City would allow all three to leave, but the change in rules was agreed last September, in the words of the Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore, to demonstrate to the big-spending clubs that "you just can't buy a team from abroad".

As such, City will again try to agree new terms with Wright-Phillips, talks having broken down in March when he asked to join the band of players earning close to £100,000 a week.Wright-Phillips is on £60,000 a week and City, having offered to increase that to £70,000, were unwilling to go higher for a player who will be 30 when his current deal expires in two years.Ireland and Onuoha will also be told that the club will allow them to leave only if the players are adamant about it. Ireland was City's player of the year two seasons ago andhas a long list of admirers, while Aston Villa are monitoring Onuoha's potential availability and Sunderland are considering a £3m offer.

As for Milner, reports of a £24m bid being imminent are not true, but the England internationa and newly crowned Young Footballer of the Yearl figures prominently in City's planning. and the club are holding internal discussions to work out the best strategy to persuade Villa to sell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:14 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
City woo Stephen Ireland and Wright-Phillips to meet 'homegrown' rule• City manager keen to placate English wantaways
• Clubs must have eight homegrown players in 25-man squad
Tweet this (21)Daniel Taylor guardian.co.uk, Monday 17 May 2010 21.14 BST Article history
Stephen Ireland is unhappy at his limited chances at Manchester City. 'There is a lot of frustraiton bottled up,' he said. Photograph: John Walton/Empics Sport

Roberto Mancini's plans for an extensive recruitment programme at Manchester City, with James Milner and Fernando Torres the main targets, will be accompanied by attempts behind the scenes to placate disaffected players such as Stephen Ireland and Shaun Wright‑Phillips in the light of the Premier League's new 'homegrown rule'.

While Mancini has received the financial backing of the Abu Dhabi United Group to target players for a sustained challenge in next season's Premier League, City's immense spending power is offset by the knowledge they will have to include eight homegrown footballers in a 25-man squad to be submitted at the end of the August transfer window.

Ireland has already informed the club's chief executive, Garry Cook, and the football administrator, Brian Marwood, that he may leave and has spoken publicly of there being "a lot of frustration bottled up because I have not played as much as I would have liked". That disclosure prompted Mancini to say the midfielder needed to "change his head".

Nedum Onuoha, an England Under‑21 international, has similar grievances to Ireland and spoke at the weekend of his frustrations with the Mancini regime – "the new manager came in and I don't think he liked me," he said – whereas Wright-Phillips has been locked in a contract dispute. His father, the former Arsenal striker Ian Wright, has accused Marwood and Cook of "mugging him off" and "treating him like a youth-team player".

In ordinary circumstances City would allow all three to leave, but the change in rules was agreed last September, in the words of the Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore, to demonstrate to the big-spending clubs that "you just can't buy a team from abroad".

As such, City will again try to agree new terms with Wright-Phillips, talks having broken down in March when he asked to join the band of players earning close to £100,000 a week.Wright-Phillips is on £60,000 a week and City, having offered to increase that to £70,000, were unwilling to go higher for a player who will be 30 when his current deal expires in two years.Ireland and Onuoha will also be told that the club will allow them to leave only if the players are adamant about it. Ireland was City's player of the year two seasons ago andhas a long list of admirers, while Aston Villa are monitoring Onuoha's potential availability and Sunderland are considering a £3m offer.

As for Milner, reports of a £24m bid being imminent are not true, but the England internationa and newly crowned Young Footballer of the Yearl figures prominently in City's planning. and the club are holding internal discussions to work out the best strategy to persuade Villa to sell.

Oooh, I forgot about this, very good point.

Stay you two!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:01 pm 

Pay day for half decent English players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:43 pm 

Is there any truth in this or just paper talk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 pm 

What is the homegrown rule? Do they have to have come through our academy, or any academy in England?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:54 pm 

I'm With Stupid wrote:
What is the homegrown rule? Do they have to have come through our academy, or any academy in England?

I thought it was our academy, but not entirely sure.