Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:43 am 

Milnerinho wrote:
I am being serious Shirley. He's not getting picked to start because he isn't the finished article. He can have a massive impact on a game but he can also not make an impact too. One can only assume that Milner is showing Mancini his worth in training. He's young too, he'll find his feet.

I'm sure he will. But so far he's added very little.

Johnson should be starting more imo. Not every game, he's clearly not the finished article but he is extremely talented. And I'd rather have him on the pitch, with the possibility he may have an impact on a game, than Milner who on evidence so far, is not going to have an impact.

I know Mancini must be seeing good things in training but it's not working on the pitch yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:53 am 

I think he looked better playing in the middle. I think our dawdling style makes him look worse than he is. He isn't a player than will dance past defenders, but he will chase and win through balls and he's a better crosser of the ball than AJ. If we played with a bit of urgency in our passing he'd look better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:25 pm 

Squidge wrote:
I'm sure he will. But so far he's added very little.

Johnson should be starting more imo. Not every game, he's clearly not the finished article but he is extremely talented. And I'd rather have him on the pitch, with the possibility he may have an impact on a game, than Milner who on evidence so far, is not going to have an impact.

I know Mancini must be seeing good things in training but it's not working on the pitch yet.

He has more league assists than Silva tbf.
I do agree he is very anonymous atm though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:15 am 

Quote:
Manchester City's Adam Johnson hails club legend Mike Summerbee for helping develop his game
England ace warns title rivals that club are getting better each game

By Phil Haigh
20 Jan 2011 08:20:00

Manchester City winger Adam Johnson has praised club icon Mike Summerbee for the help and advice that has seen his game improve since moving to Eastlands.

The England international feels that having someone around who played in City's glory days of the late 60s and also played in the same position as him has been of tremendous use.

Johnson told The Sun: "Mike has helped me a lot, in the same way he helped Craig Bellamy before me. He just has little words here and there.
"He used to be a winger as well, so he's always got a few words for me all the times I've met him.

"It's good to have the older generation around helping us. We're aware of the great history at this club and we want to bring back those days.

"The older generation want that, everyone feels the same, it's time we pushed on and did something."

Summerbee was keen to repay the compliments, as he said of the youngster: "There's no other player around like this lad.

"He has tremendous talent, with his ability to play on the left or right wing. Indeed, he can play all along the top line. It is very difficult to name someone who has the same mobility.
"When he gets the ball he excites the crowd with the way he beats people with such ease. He's a real breath of fresh air and has a great future.

"I've told him he needs to get a bit stronger in his upper body and listen to the right people, stay level-headed and look after himself."

However, the former City man doesn't see him and Johnson as replicas.

"Oh no, he's much more skilful than I was. Me? I was more aggressive, I'd run through people. He glides past them," he said.

Johnson is holding his own amongst the ranks of established stars at City and has impressed in his comeback to the starting line-up over recent weeks.

The City winger continued: "I'm having a run of games now which is great. I was out of the team a little bit earlier in the season but there's a lot of competition for places here.
"The manager's given me some little pointers, things that have helped my game so I've improved.

"I've worked on my own game, kept my place. I've created a few goals in recent weeks and scored a couple so I've been delighted."

The former Middlesbrough man feels City are heading firmly in the right direction and believes they will take the title race down to the wire.

"We're improving week in week out but I'm sure there's a lot more to come. Sometimes our final passes have let us down," he added.

"But some of the football is different class and it all seems to be clicking for us. We're getting better each game. Every game we win it's a step closer. Excitement is building now.

"All the lads can feel it. We just want games to keep coming now, we all want to play in the big games.

"There are a lot of games to be played. It's a busy time of year but I'm sure teams are going to slip up.

"We've still got to go to Old Trafford and they have some tough games. There's a long way to go."
Johnson finished by praising his club's latest big money signing, Edin Dzeko: "His English is brilliant so he's settled in straight away with the boys, with the banter.

"He set a goal up on Saturday and I know he was a bit disappointed he didn't get on the scoresheet. But he's only going to get better."

Good interview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:49 am 

I love Mike Summerbee - did I ever tell you about the time he got everyone to sign a guitar for me??? :whistle:

I wrote him a thank you letter that was tantamount to a love letter. He didn't reply...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:35 am 

Cracking read that..summerbee (mike) is a legend...Nicky's alright too:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:04 pm 

Summerbee was playing infront of the Kippax and he was giving the full back a torrid time. He beat him inside outside and upside down and when he had turned him inside out once someone shouted "beat him again Mike" so he turned round, dribbled back to half way and did it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
Summerbee was playing infront of the Kippax and he was giving the full back a torrid time. He beat him inside outside and upside down and when he had turned him inside out once someone shouted "beat him again Mike" so he turned round, dribbled back to half way and did it again.

Thats made my day bert..i have heard that..
I remember franny saying he used to feel like a power from the kippax, that pushed him on...

I have a little book of quotes somewhere..
The famous rod marsh one, where he was playing the states, and the coach yells "If you don't play better im pulling you off at half time", and rodders replies "Really ...all i got at city was half a orange and a cup of tea"...:D

Love it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:41 pm 

Injured for three months, ankle ligament damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:42 pm 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
Injured for three months, ankle ligament damage.

Not good if true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:44 pm 

:(:(:(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11