Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:47 am 

gonna be a month's worth of this I reckon. Least we're on the right side of the speculation...

from 365:

NO MAN CITY CONTACT FOR SUBOTIC
Posted 04/01/10 09:24EmailPrintSave

Man. City 5/4, Man. Utd 7/4, Draw 9/4
Neven Subotic's agent has played down talk linking the defender with a move to Manchester City.

Fresh reports have suggested City are lining up a big-money bid to lure Subotic away from Borussia Dortmund in the January transfer window.

The 21-year-old's future has been the subject of conjecture for some time, with the Serb regarded as one of the best young defenders in world football.

The talented 21-year-old has been an ever present for Dortmund in the Bundesliga this term and only signed a long-term contract last summer.

Subotic's representative, Stephen Kelly, claims the City link is just speculation and admits any move this month is highly unlikely.

"I have not heard anything from anybody at Manchester City. It is just speculation," Kelly told skysports.com.

"I would be really surprised if Neven was to leave Dortmund in January.

"It would take something special for Dortmund to sell him as he is on a long-term contract there."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:48 am 

yep, gonna be a looooong month sorting the wheat from the chaf

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:51 am 

Timpblue wrote:
yep, gonna be a looooong month sorting the wheat from the chaf

more (saw this on BBC also):

MOSES A £5m PLAYER - AGENT
Posted 04/01/10 09:49EmailPrintSave

Crystal Palace Evens, Draw 12/5, Bristol City 11/4
Crystal Palace striker Victor Moses should cost prospective buyers at least £5million, according to the player's agent.

The 19-year-old has been persistently linked with a move away from Selhurst Park in the January transfer window after impressing in the Championship.

Palace's financial problems have increased speculation Neil Warnock will be forced to sell, and Manchester City are reported to be leading the chase.

Moses' representative, former Palace player Tony Finnigan, expects the forward to eventually leave the Eagles and believes all that is left to agree is a transfer value.

Finnigan said in the Daily Mail: "In my view Victor is worth £5m and maybe even more but I have nothing to do with what Palace will receive for Victor Moses.

"But from a personal point of view and as a former Palace player I hope they get the amount they desire for him.

"I hope Moses goes on to be the next household name, and he has the talent to do that, but at the moment Palace have to get a figure they are happy with.

"I sincerely hope the player I work with and represent can enable Palace to secure their financial future."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:53 am 

Watching the Majorca v Athletic Bilbao game yesterday they said we had scouts in the crowd looking at some of the Majorca players Not sure which ones, Castro the Uruguayan probably who looked pretty good. I'm hoping we were there for some of the Athletic players though, Martinez or Llorente, or Iraola is a good player if we're in the market for a right back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:53 am 

think we've already told jordan and warnock to do one at 5 million. dunno why, let the chairman go down the back of the sofa and cough up some spare change

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:39 am 

I really like the look of Leeds' striker Jermaine Beckford.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:09 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:

Have heard he's a bit of a moody b*stard though - throws a strop when he is subbed and alike. Reminds me of Daniel Sturridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:11 pm 

DarloBlue wrote:
Have heard he's a bit of a moody b*stard though - throws a strop when he is subbed and alike. Reminds me of Daniel Sturridge.

...who Ancelotti tells the papers this morning is ample replacement for Drogba. Riiiiiight Carlo... :rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:15 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:

I'd wait at least till he's played in the Championship before considering him. He's 26 already, part of me thinks if he was good enough to play in the Prem, he would have done so already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:16 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
...who Ancelotti tells the papers this morning is ample replacement for Drogba. Riiiiiight Carlo... :rolleyes:

He's undoubtedly a good player (maybe not quite Drogba level) - Beckford's alright too, never going to be world class though. The attitude is a concern though.

Don't know if anyone saw Merson talking about Beckford the other day. Apparently he shouldn't go to Newcastle because they'll get promoted and he isn't good enough for the Premiership. He should go somewhere like Arsenal. At Leeds he creates chances as well as finishing himself and apparently this is a bad sign because if he creates chances at League One, he won't be able to create them in the Premiership.

That nonsense is genuinely what Merson said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:29 pm 

Paul Merson is a drunken coke head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:39 pm 

Location: Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in
newcastle supposed to sign beckford.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:02 pm 

DarloBlue wrote:
He's undoubtedly a good player (maybe not quite Drogba level) - Beckford's alright too, never going to be world class though. The attitude is a concern though.

Don't know if anyone saw Merson talking about Beckford the other day. Apparently he shouldn't go to Newcastle because they'll get promoted and he isn't good enough for the Premiership. He should go somewhere like Arsenal. At Leeds he creates chances as well as finishing himself and apparently this is a bad sign because if he creates chances at League One, he won't be able to create them in the Premiership.

That nonsense is genuinely what Merson said.

Tis true. I heard him myself and spent the next 10 minutes trying to work out what he said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:10 pm 

slart wrote:
Paul Merson is a drunken coke head.

again, unfair to drunken coke-heads.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:44 pm 

i know a few leeds fans well and they hate Beckford and from what ive seen he ain't better than what we have misses alot of chances in league 1 and won't be prolific enough for the prem

Woudnt mind moses he is quick strong and young and looked good when we played them in the carling cup worth a punt for £5million

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:50 am 

Juan Sebastián Verón turns down £7m Manchester City transfer• 'Family reasons' scuppered City's bid
• Roberto Mancini keen to sign former Lazio team-mate
Buzz up!
Digg it
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 6 January 2010 00.12 GMT
Article history

The former Chelsea and Manchester United midfielder says he has turned down an offer to move to Eastlands. Photograph: Adam Davy/Empics

Manchester City have tried to sign the former Manchester United and Chelsea midfielder Juan Sebastián Verón according to reports emerging from Argentina last night.

The 34-year-old told Italy's Corriere Dello Sport that he had turned down the chance to join City after a bid of £7m was lodged with his club, Estudiantes. "I did it for my family," said Verón. "But also because I chose to continue my career here at Estudiantes and I want to respect this contract."

The Argentina international, who was bought by Manchester United for £28m in 2001 and transferred to Chelsea for £15m after two years, returned in 2007 to the club where he began his career following two seasons playing for the City manager, Roberto Mancini, at Internazionale. The two had formerly been team-mates at Sampdoria and Lazio.

The player's agent, Miguel Pires, had earlier confirmed in a Daily Star report that City had made an inquiry and followed up the approach with an offer. "I was very surprised with this position," he said. "Mancini has called the player and me as well. But I said sincerely that Verón is very happy and grateful at being back at Estudiantes and it is very complicated to leave at this moment."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:53 am 

Can we start to be linked to players who are actually going to be able to run for the next 5 years please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:55 am 

hesherehesthere wrote:
Can we start to be linked to players who are actually going to be able to run for the next 5 months please.

prolly not yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:55 pm 

The Sun say that City are stepping up their chase for a slightly more youthful colt, namely Palermo's Danish centre-half Simon Kjaer (as Gallagheresque posted), whose price seems to be rising by the day.

The number mentioned this time is £18million, with Roberto Mancini looking to beat off Manchester United and Real Madrid. If you will.

ROQUE OFF ON LOAN?
With The Sun claiming those two are coming in to Manchester City, the paper reckons one man could be making his way out.

Apparently Espanyol are interested in taking Roque Santa Cruz on loan for the rest of the season, with the paper backing up their theory by saying the striker has only made two starts this season.

Of course, he has been injured for most of the time, but never mind all that guff.

Anyway, Roque himself says there are clubs interested in him. Look: "My agents have received calls from other clubs asking about me."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:58 pm 

although (from 365):

PALERMO DENY CITY MOVE FOR KJAER
Posted 07/01/10 15:22EmailPrintSave

Barclays Premier League To Be in Top 4. Click here to bet.
Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini has brushed aside reports linking defender Simon Kjaer with a move to Manchester City in the winter transfer market.

Speculation linking the 20-year-old with a transfer to Eastlands has gathered pace in recent weeks.

When asked about a possible interest by City for the 20-year-old centre back, Zamparini said to the Italian media: "They are just rumours, I have not had any contact with anyone.

"Several clubs are interested in Kjaer but for the time being we have not received any offers.

"For sure, he will remain with us until June."

The Danish centre-back joined Palermo in 2008 from FC Midtjylland and is under contract with the Serie A outfit until 2013.