Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:47 pm 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
Sol actually left Notts County because he realised what a massive shambles the whole ownership thing is and in the process proved himself to be cleverer than Sven. I believe part of their contracts were tied up in shares in a company that doesn't exist or something similar, their ownership situation is pretty shady.

According to who? Just because it happened at the same time doesn't mean it had anything to do with it (post hoc ergo propter hoc?). I heard he was generally unhappy with the standards of the training facilities and alike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:59 pm 

DarloBlue wrote:
According to who? Just because it happened at the same time doesn't mean it had anything to do with it (post hoc ergo propter hoc?). I heard he was generally unhappy with the standards of the training facilities and alike.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/sep/25/notts-county-contracts-sol-campbell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:09 pm 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:

That article doesn't say why he left. It just says his contract was dodgy and dodged League Two wage rules which everyone knew anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:22 pm 

ihate viera. just wanted everyone to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:25 pm 

Timpblue wrote:
still not convinced by this, the only reason i can think of is that mancini wants a spy in the dressing room

Fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:26 pm 

PintoMcGuinness wrote:
A snitch more like.

That.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:53 am 

Scotty wrote:
I'm still not convinced about the signing of Vieira. He hasn't played that much in Italy lately and is now 33.

More like 35 this season.

Funny part is that Viera was never one of the Mancini's particularly favored ones,Mancini would already bench him,pretty often,even when phisically fit ,3 season ago.

Bottom line is that Viera was relatively "cheap",by that i mean no transfer fee,only his very high wages,easy to reach because he wanted to leave Inter at any cost,to get a chance to play more often and catch the 2010 French squad( in Inter he was like the seventh man ,by now,in a four midfield),so he was a doable,reachable transfer and an experienced,known player.

So far anybody else who could have been interesting for Man. City has not been able to move easily from his team, for one reason or the other..so ...Viera is just a "better than nothing",a ..." we need SOMEONE else safe in the midfield "-type of reasoning,and nothing more.

I am absolutely positive that someone big WILL arrive before the end of the january transfer window thou.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:38 am 

Does seem a bit of strange one this. Might never see him on the pitch. Hope he has a contract that reflects appearances and isn't another quarter of a Million a month into his pension fund just for turning up for training on time.

I reckon he could be used as a centre back cover. Apparently he used to play at CB in his younger days. We have too many other players in Midfield that you'd play before him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:57 am 
cannon wrote:
Does seem a bit of strange one this. Might never see him on the pitch. Hope he has a contract that reflects appearances and isn't another quarter of a Million a month into his pension fund just for turning up for training on time.

I reckon he could be used as a centre back cover. Apparently he used to play at CB in his younger days. We have too many other players in Midfield that you'd play before him.

He's pretty much on loan for the first 6 months as far as I can gather.

Not sure who you are alluding to with the quarter of a mil a month jibe though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:00 am 

cannon wrote:

People I'd play at CB ahead of Vieira:
Toure
Kompany
Lescott
Richards
Onouha

People I'd play at DM ahead of Vieira:
de Jong
Barry
[Kompany possibly]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:01 am 

Emigre wrote:
He's pretty much on loan for the first 6 months as far as I can gather.

Not sure who you are alluding to with the quarter of a mil a month jibe though.

Nearer half a million, non?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:04 am 
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on Moyes. Fergie 2.0

Quote:

DAVID Moyes appears to be waging a one-man campaign to turn Saturday's Goodison Park clash into a grudge match.

For a man who, four years ago, berated his fellow managers for talking too much about other clubs and other players, he seems to have developed an unhealthy, green-eyed obsession with Manchester City.

This week he has taken another pot-shot at the Blues, criticising the acquisition of Patrick Vieira as bad for English football. Be wary when any Scotsman starts talking about what is good for English football.

It all began last summer when he and Hughes had a gripping tug-of-war over Joleon Lescott, before the City signed the defender for £24m.

To some extent, you could understand him grouching but then you remember that Everton have flexed their superior financial muscle to take players from less wealthy clubs, during Moyes' tenure and any sympathy quickly evaporates.

And the fact that the Toffees picked up a more than generous fee for Lescott also lessens the legitimacy of Moyes' grumbles.

At the heart of his moans was the fact that Hughes did not involve himself in the negotiation process. He stuck to City's modus operandi - he identified the target, then left it to chief executive Garry Cook and football administrator Brian Marwood to thrash out a deal.

That narked Moyes, who likes to think he has total control of Everton's transfer policy, and even went so far as to describe City's pursuit of Lescott as 'disgusting'.

That episode appears to have tainted his view of the Blues ever since - such was the bad feeling surrounding the transfer that both clubs were somewhat relieved when the meeting scheduled for the first week of the season, was postponed due to Everton's European involvement. It still has to be re-arranged.

But, with the reverse fixture upon us, Moyes has turned his fire on City again, perhaps in a clumsy attempt at mind games.

Asked about the arrival of Vieira, he claimed it was bad news for City's Academy.

Moyes view

"I'm sure there will be a lot of young players at City who will be disappointed at not getting the chance they might have otherwise done," he said.

"It might turn out to be a good move for City but, if you're asking me if it is good for English football, then I'm not so sure. I think a lot of people would like to see young British players given that sort of chance."

Perhaps a lot of people would also like to see youngsters given a chance rather than Everton spending £5.3m on 32-year-old Frenchman Sylvain Distin, or bringing in American Landon Donovan who, if he scores a goal or two in the World Cup in June, won't be doing much good for English football.

To be fair, Everton are better than most Premier League clubs at developing and blooding young players - James Vaughan, Jack Rodwell and Leon Osman spring to mind.

But in recent weeks City have handed a debut to Dedryck Boyata, a first start to Vlad Weiss and involved Andrew Tutte, Abdi Ibrahim and Kieran Trippier in the first team squad.

No doubt Moyes would prefer his side to line up against rookies like Tutte or Ibrahim rather than a World Cup winner like Vieira.

Perhaps he should recall his words in 2006, when he was annoyed with Arsene Wenger for making comments about Everton.

"There are people with big mouths who are coming out and saying things, that is wrong, you should not talk about other clubs' players, they should just talk about their own," he said.

"I'm not talking about Arsene Wenger, but many other people who should just look after their own clubs and concentrate on their own players."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:33 am 

Emigre wrote:

To be fair, Darren is having a pretty good stab at that one. Buying success when he was at Peterbrough and passing it off as him being an amazing coach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:35 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
Toure
Kompany
Lescott
Richards
Onouha

de Jong
Barry
[Kompany possibly]

DarloBlue wrote:
Nearer half a million, non?

Stop being Darlo, Darlo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:44 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
Toure
Kompany
Lescott
Richards
Onouha

de Jong
Barry
[Kompany possibly]

Totally disagree, only person I'd play anywhere ahead of Vieira in terms of your schedule above is De Jong.

Vieira and Richards would be a great pairing at CH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:52 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Totally disagree, only person I'd play anywhere ahead of Vieira in terms of your schedule above is De Jong.

Vieira and Richards would be a great pairing at CH.

It was more to show that we have more CB cover than DM. I don't really know where he'll be placed - no doubt he'll end up in the team ahead of de Jong (or rotating with him).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:04 pm 

DarloBlue wrote:
It was more to show that we have more CB cover than DM. I don't really know where he'll be placed - no doubt he'll end up in the team ahead of de Jong (or rotating with him).

I hope to have him at CH, honestly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:06 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
I hope to have him at CH, honestly.

Too slow for CH surely...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:22 pm 

Emigre wrote:

Selling Lescott for £24m was the best thing that's ever happened to Everton football club - what's the old woman still complaining about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:01 pm 

Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire (originally from denton mcr)
Bitter Scottish Bastard.....does he remind you of anyone...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next