Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:48 pm 

Write up from OS in case you're interested:

City are delighted to announce that Brazilian left back Sylvinho has joined the club on a year-long contract.

The highly experienced, highly-rated 35-year-old international defender was released at the end of last season by the European Champions.

He has plenty of Premier League experience having made 55 appearances for Arsenal during a two-year stint at Highbury from 1999-2001.

Sylvinho, who will wear the number 16 shirt vacated by Kasper Schmeichel, is seen as the perfect complement to England left back Wayne Bridge.

Twice a Champions League winner, including last season when he played the entire 90 minutes of the 2-0 victory over Manchester United, and the collector of three La Liga titles whilst in Spain, Sylvinho has also played for Celta Vigo and Corinthians in a career that has seen him win six caps for Brazil.

Boss Mark Hughes is hoping that international clearance will arrive in time for his seventh summer signing to be included in the squad for the Carling Cup tie at Crystal Palace on Thursday night.

“Sylvinho has a wealth of experience at the very top level, having represented Brazil and played for some of the very top clubs in Europe,” declared the boss.

“When the chance presented itself to bring him to Manchester City as a free agent I saw it as representing excellent business for us. Sylvinho won the European Cup last season at Barcelona and he will strengthen our defensive options.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:50 pm 

elano89 wrote:
cant say im blown away by this deal... but its a good one none the less

* free
* experience at the top level
* garrido sucks

What about Lescott tho?

I won't pretend I'm not baffled by this one. I mean, he must be on at least 50 grand a week? Give it to charity. He's never gonna get a game. Must be a Robinho sweetner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:53 pm 
South East Citizen wrote:
What about Lescott tho?

I won't pretend I'm not baffled by this one. I mean, he must be on at least 50 grand a week? Give it to charity. He's never gonna get a game. Must be a Robinho sweetner

He played 90mins in the Champions League Final and never gave the rags a sniff. That was only a few months ago. Why won't he play a game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:00 pm 

I don't get this at all, one of the few justifications for spending so much on Lescott is that he can cover left back. Take him on as a coach if he's got such a wealth of knowledge to pass on

think you've gotten it wrong.

lescott is so valuable to us because he is a left footed centreback. and hughes wants a lefty and a righty paired in defence. therefore lescott = instant first choice. not as possible left back cover. for that he'll buy/sign a left back.

also - give 50 grand to charity? why? the wages matter not, but the owners are hardly going to give it away for nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:03 pm 

Emigre wrote:
He played 90mins in the Champions League Final and never gave the rags a sniff. That was only a few months ago. Why won't he play a game?

Cos we've got Bridge and (soon to be) Lescott. He only played the final cos of the crippling injury / suspension situation Barca had at the back. Granted the rags didn't get a sniff, but I'd put that more down to Barca dominating midfield and not being able to get hold of the ball. If you say Lescott will only operate as a CB, where does that leave Ned and Kompany (and maybe Dunne if you still think he has a part to play at the club)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:05 pm 

Cos we've got Bridge and (soon to be) Lescott. He only played the final cos of the crippling injury / suspension situation Barca had at the back. Granted the rags didn't get a sniff, but I'd put that more down to Barca dominating midfield and not being able to get hold of the ball. If you say Lescott will only operate as a CB, where does that leave Ned and Kompany (and maybe Dunne if you still think he has a part to play at the club)?

Dunney will go, there's nothing surer, maybe Sunderland, Villa or Everton.

Kompany can cover in defensive midfield, and Nedum all over the back four.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:05 pm 

Injuries, suspensions, resting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:06 pm 

cant see him being first choice left back tbh, spent alot on bridge and he hasnt done anythin really that bad to be replaced after 8 months. prefer slyvinho too garrido anyday.... and i cant really complain with mark hughes in the transfer matket so far.... alot of his signings have been brilliant ( forget ben-haim :whistle:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:07 pm 

elano89 wrote:
cant see him being first choice left back tbh, spent alot on bridge and he hasnt done anythin really that bad to be replaced after 8 months. prefer slyvinho too garrido anyday.... and i cant really complain with mark hughes in the transfer matket so far.... alot of his signings have been brilliant ( forget ben-haim :whistle:)

he's another that will go, and Garrido.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 pm 

lescott is not being purchased as LB cover. he is being purchased as a starting CB. we only have garrido as LB cover. he is shit as a fullback, he cannot defend. bridge isn't a great deal better at that mind. therefore seems like a sensible signing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:10 pm 

Garrido to go? Will the forum close for the day?

Post subject:

should be good for Crystal Palace on Thursday hopefully

Post subject:

Half Bassman Half Biscuit wrote:
Dunney will go, there's nothing surer, maybe Sunderland, Villa or Everton.

Kompany can cover in defensive midfield, and Nedum all over the back four.

Even England losing the Ashes?

de Jong's not getting in the team at the moment at DM, Kompany's too good to just be waiting his turn in that position.

The charity comment was just to illustrate what a waste of £2.6m over the course of the year will be. I'm all for us spunking money about this is pushing it a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:11 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
lescott is not being purchased as LB cover. he is being purchased as a starting CB. we only have garrido as LB cover. he is shit as a fullback, he cannot defend. bridge isn't a great deal better at that mind. therefore seems like a sensible signing.

sums this transfer up to a tee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:11 pm 

Lescott is not a full back - he only played there cos of evertons wafer thing squad - he hated it and fell out quite publically with moyes about playing there - I don't think the plan is to use him as anythnig other than a left sided cb

besides - the brazilian is 35 but he kept lady boy quite for at least 45 mins in the final last year

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:12 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
lescott is not being purchased as LB cover. he is being purchased as a starting CB.

Exactly. Am I mistaken but hasn't Lescott said a number of times that he doesn't really like playing at LB?

Edit: hive mind Timps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:13 pm 

Even England losing the Ashes?

de Jong's not getting in the team at the moment at DM, Kompany's too good to just be waiting his turn in that position.

The charity comment was just to illustrate what a waste of £2.6m over the course of the year will be. I'm all for us spunking money about this is pushing it a bit.

Dunney is too good to not be playing, and he'll do a job for someone like Sunderland etc. Get shot of Ben Haim and Garrido, and that does reduce the defensive squad quite a bit. Then you get injuries and suspensions, everyone will get a game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:17 pm 

On the very rare occasions that Bridge won't be able to play, I see us being strong switching Lescott to LB and bring Neds or Kompany into CB, than throwing in some 35 yr old guy who hasn't played regularly for a couple of years in at LB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:20 pm 

On the very rare occasions that Bridge won't be able to play, I see us being strong switching Lescott to LB and bring Neds or Kompany into CB, than throwing in some 35 yr old guy who hasn't played regularly for a couple of years in at LB.

He played and won the Champs League final and was a regular all last season?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:25 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
He played and won the Champs League final and was a regular all last season?

He played 89 times in 5 years for Barca (including sub appearance) which isn't that regular and only featured in the CL final due to injuries and suspensions...

That said, my objections are evaporating now he's officially a blue and I'm getting used to the idea (as they normally do), so I'll stand down from this one now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next