Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:10 am 

Arda371 wrote:
In 1998- and so on.. In his Leeds days, he was such a gem. For me he was one of the best players ever at those times.
Ever since he came to galatasaray he found back his form. Last year he was very good in the league and the UEFA cup scoring this goal to a 4-3 victory over bordeaux.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K_JazU0zLE

However he is just not as fast as he used to be... So in rijkaard system he will be a sub coming on 45th minute most of the time.
But when he plays he plays so good... His contract will expire this year and he had said that he would only stay 2 years in turkey than move back to England.
He came to Turkey to regain his fitness and his form... Also he is full of confidence again.
But guys trust me. His skills and shoots and pasess and crosses are still there with him.
So overall his performances are a gem with Galatasaray and Australian national team, however he is not fit to play consecutive 90 minute matches.
He tires off after 70th minute.

Cheers, That would be my take on the few performances I've seen too (for Gala and Australia). Though I'm sure a lot disagree, he was and still is a class player. In the true sense of the word. He's definitely not super fast anymore (not slow though) but in tight situations with the ball, he does the business. When the ball is coming into the box, you want him on the end of it. Whether it be a header or a volley.

He filled in at centre back for you guys against Hamburg(I think?) in the UEFA cup. Besides the odd lapse, he actually didn't look completely out of place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:10 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
I posted that goal up here before - unbelievable strike. Like it was shot from a rocket launcher.

so kewell is 95% leaving turkey at the end of the summer. His kids and wife is in england as well so therefor he will be playing in england next season.
Perhaps city can sign him.
At least he would be an incredible sub.
I know some people hate kewell especially liverpool fans, but guys he is still good. He would help you get many points.

Though i truly wish he stays with galatasaray.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:12 am 

Arda371 wrote:
so kewell is 95% leaving turkey at the end of the summer. His kids and wife is in england as well so therefor he will be playing in england next season.
Perhaps city can sign him.
At least he would be an incredible sub.
I know some people hate kewell especially liverpool fans, but guys he is still good.
He would help you get many points.

Though i truly wish he stays with galatasaray.

Agreed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:19 am 

Kubrick wrote:
Cheers, That would be my take on the few performances I've seen too (for Gala and Australia). Though I'm sure a lot disagree, he was and still is a class player. In the true sense of the word. He's definitely not super fast anymore (not slow though) but in tight situations with the ball, he does the business. When the ball is coming into the box, you want him on the end of it. Whether it be a header or a volley.

He filled in at centre back for you guys against Hamburg(I think?) in the UEFA cup. Besides the odd lapse, he actually didn't look completely out of place.

yeah.. he was a defender and we conceeded 2 goals because well obviously he does not know where to stand in the field as a defender... but its not his fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N1H5P-z3pg&feature=related

he is good guys. City should sign him for next year. At least you would have one back at liverpool with this signing.

Though again. I hope he stays in galatasaray.

By the way the winter in turkey is cold. Though not as cold as UK i believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 am 

Some Liverpool fans just didn't understand. He was injured, there's not much he or anyone could do about it. To imply anything else is very harsh. "He's miraculously fit for the big games" - Fuck off. The biggest game in Australia's history at the World Cup - He wasn't fit. So.....

He's not the first player to be on high wages and sustain a string of injuries. They spent just over 7 mill on him. Even back then, that was a bargain for the one of the best wingers in the Country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:32 am 

Kubrick wrote:
Some Liverpool fans just didn't understand. He was injured, there's not much he or anyone could do about it. To imply anything else is very harsh. "He's miraculously fit for the big games" - Fuck off. The biggest game in Australia's history at the World Cup - He wasn't fit. So.....

He's not the first player to be on high wages and sustain a string of injuries. They spent just over 7 mill on him. Even back then, that was a bargain for the one of the best wingers in the Country.

His injuries were severe and therefor he could not play. As you said noone can do anything about it. He is prone to injuries but when he plays he is good. So thats why it could be good to see him in Man City next season rather than seeing him in teams such as everton or fulham.
I know fulham were intersted in him at the beg. of this season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:41 am 
Elano was ok for the first few months but pretty much shit after that. Didn't work hard enough, bad team ethic, not a good influence it would seem.

Good player on his day, but enjoy it while you can because my guess is, when things aren't going great he will completely disappear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:01 am 

Emigre wrote:
Elano was ok for the first few months but pretty much shit after that. Didn't work hard enough, bad team ethic, not a good influence it would seem.

Good player on his day, but enjoy it while you can because my guess is, when things aren't going great he will completely disappear.

well rijkaard is a coach of justice.. I am glad that we have him with elano. When he performs bad he will be in the bench. If he causes problems like how Cassio Lincoln did for galatasaray in the last 2 years than he would be sacked. Of course noone is important than the team itself.

Elano played 2 games for Galatasaray. First one was against Levadia in Euro Cup and he was a sub that came on the 70th minute.
And the last game in the league he came on in the beg. of the second half.

So he is yet to perform well. but his goal was out of this world thats for sure.
I remember 2 years ago i was watching Man City - Newcastle live... And when elano scored that free kick i wished that he was in our team because Galatasaray was having problems converting free kicks to goals at that time.
Well god heard me i guess :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:04 am 

Arda371 wrote:
well rijkaard is a coach of justice.. I am glad that we have him with elano. When he performs bad he will be in the bench. If he causes problems like how Cassio Lincoln did for galatasaray in the last 2 years than he would be sacked. Of course noone is important than the team itself.

Elano played 2 games for Galatasaray. First one was against Levadia in Euro Cup and he was a sub that came on the 70th minute.
And the last game in the league he came on in the beg. of the second half.

So he is yet to perform well. but his goal was out of this world thats for sure.
I remember 2 years ago i was watching Man City - Newcastle live... And when elano scored that free kick i wished that he was in our team because Galatasaray was having problems converting free kicks to goals at that time.
Well god heard me i guess :)

Good phrase that!

My favourite ever Elano moment. Also, I would back Elano as the best penalty taker in the world right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:06 am 

I just wonder... had that free kick Elano twatted against the bar against Hamburg been a couple of inches lower and we'd progressed in the Uefa Cup, how different would his and City's future be right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:07 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
I just wonder... had that free kick Elano twatted against the bar against Hamburg been a couple of inches lower and we'd progressed in the Uefa Cup, how different would his and City's future be right now.

I wouldnt spend too long on that one mate. Do your own head in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:09 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Good phrase that!

My favourite ever Elano moment. Also, I would back Elano as the best penalty taker in the world right now.

so i've heard.
But in his prime Mario Jardel was the best penalty taker in portugal and in FC PORTO. Out of 16 penalty kicks he converted all 16 and in 15 of them he sent the goalkeeper to the other direction. Than he moved to Galatasaray in 2001 after getting the UEFA cup from Arsenal ( my fav. moment ever ) and super cup from real madrid.
He used 2 spot kicks and both were saved by the keeper :)

so i would not be suprised if Elano misses his spot kicks in Turkey.
we shall see until he uses a spot kick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:10 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:
I wouldnt spend too long on that one mate. Do your own head in.

You're right, I did enough moping at the time :rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:19 am 

Arda371 wrote:
Hey there everyone. I am contributing these forums from Turkey. First of all I must say that this year i will cheer for Man City, not just because you guys built a great squad but also because i HATE MAN UTD.
anyway. I am a huge fan of galatasaray.. and yesterday Elano scored his first goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ROMVQmw_jY

i believe if mark hughes was not in charge of Man City than elano would probably stay with you guys.

How do you rate the goal?

because he was an inconsistent, gobby, destabilising little shit who played brilliantly for half a season for us, and then was horrendously inconsistent and bitched to the press about not being in the team when he played like a one legged blind man and was rightly dropped.

fuck elano.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:21 am 
Arda371 wrote:
well rijkaard is a coach of justice.. I am glad that we have him with elano.

Well, so is Hughes. Which is why you now have him and we don't. Good luck with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:09 pm 

Elano is a wanker. End of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:11 pm 

Squidge wrote:
Elano is a wanker. End of.

Was wondering when you'd show up to this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:19 pm 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
Was wondering when you'd show up to this thread.

Sorry. Work doesn't allow me to get on and post so had to wait 'til the evening. Ideally i'd have been the first to reply but sadly not.

We already know the reasons though. Wanker and despite being an obviously gifted player, he was shit for City.

Answers the thread title very well i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:21 pm 

If he's starting week in week out he'll probably be a good player for Galatasaray, I don't seem to remember him moaning much in the first year when he was playing every game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:37 pm 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
If he's starting week in week out he'll probably be a good player for Galatasaray, I don't seem to remember him moaning much in the first year when he was playing every game.

Exactly. Wanker.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next