Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 875 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:35 pm 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/26/emmanuel-adebayor-manchester-city-alex-ferguson

Quote:
[SIZE="4"]Emmanuel Adebayor was 'desperate' not to join Manchester City, claims Sir Alex Ferguson[/SIZE]

• Ferguson says Adebayor offered himself to Manchester United
• '[City] are a small club with a small mentality,' adds Scot

Sir Alex Ferguson has claimed that Manchester City's latest signing Emmanuel Adebayor was "desperate" to join Manchester United or Chelsea instead, and contacted both clubs even after he had agreed his £25m move to Eastlands.

Speaking to The Observer, the Manchester United manager – who also dismissed City as "a small club with a small mentality" – said the striker tried to engineer an alternative move away from Arsenal even as the transfer to City was being finalised.

"At the last minute, from what I can gather, either Emmanuel Adebayor or his agent phoned us after they had agreed a deal with City and then did the same with Chelsea. He was desperate to get to either Chelsea or us."

Ferguson, speaking in Malaysia during United's pre-season tour of the Far East, claimed that Adebayor's move, and those of other high-profile players who have joined City this summer, was motivated by money, not ambition: "When someone offers you that kind of money, it's a big attraction to people nowadays. That is the reason they have gone there."

The 25-year-old said that "silverware and trophies" were behind his decision to join Mark Hughes's side, but Ferguson does not think City will challenge, saying signing the likes of Adebayor, Roque Santa Cruz and Gareth Barry may be the sum total of their success this season.

"Do you know what City's biggest triumph is? It's getting those players there. I don't know if they will do anything with them," he said. "It is not easy to get into that top four so the biggest success of all is to just get the players there.

"There will be three teams to beat. Ourselves, Liverpool and Chelsea will be very close together… The one who has the challenge this season is Arsène. He doesn't have the money and how he uses the £25m from Adebayor will be very, very interesting," he said of the Arsenal manager.

Continuing his attack on City, Ferguson also suggested that Hughes has focused too much on attack in his spending spree.

"For all the buying they have done, they still have to pick a team with balance. That won't be easy for Mark. What's he got, 10 strikers? So if he picks a squad to go to Chelsea he has to leave seven behind, or five at least."

One of those strikers is Carlos Tevez, whose move to the blue half of Manchester prompted City to erect a billboard sporting an image of the Argentinian with the message "Welcome to Manchester" – a stunt Ferguson dismissed as typical of the club's mentality.

"It's City isn't it? They are a small club with a small mentality," he said. "All they can talk about is Manchester United, they can't get away from it... They think taking Carlos Tevez away from Manchester United is a triumph. It is poor stuff."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:39 pm 

funniest read ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:42 pm 

All this worrying about lil' old city is going to give him a heart attack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:45 pm 

blueduck wrote:
All this worrying about lil' old city is going to give him a heart attack.

We're the ones who are naive and talking about united, and yet Hughes has said nothing, and he has made 2 comments in a week.

Interesting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:47 pm 

What he calls small mentality is doing nice gestures for the fans who are local in Manchester. If a big club mentality is to just market itself to Asia and America, then we can take that as a conpliment. The poster was for the fans of Manchester city, and we all liked it. What was the last thing united did for their fans?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:47 pm 

Bluewythy wrote:
What he calls small mentality is doing nice gestures for the fans who are local in Manchester. If a big club mentality is to just market itself to Asia and America, then we can take that as a conpliment. The poster was for the fans of Manchester city, and we all liked it. What was the last thing united did for their fans?

Sold the club?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:50 pm 

davepat123 wrote:
We're the ones who are naive and talking about united, and yet Hughes has said nothing, and he has made 2 comments in a week.

Interesting

I'm guessing he was questioned on the billboards. A lot of these articles are more to do with what questions are asked rather than what a person says. The story about Rio Ferdinand not wanting to join was probably just a case of a journo going "Hey Rio, would you be interested in a move to City"? To which Rio probably just said "No". This is then given the headline 'Rio snubs City' which makes it sound as if he made the comment of his own accord. I tend to take what I read in player/manager comments with a pinch of salt, unless I actually know what question was asked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:26 am 

Did anyone else thing ade looked in our best 2 or 3 against the shizer chiefs?

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:16 pm 

Funny Article from about a year ago :D

Adebayor: Money Is Ruining The Game

Emmanuel Adebayor Arsenal’s Togolese striker, has slammed the current state of the game and insisted that money is ruining football.
25 Oct 2008 13:42:06

As reported by skysports.com, Adebayor, speaking at the launch of EA Sports' Fifa 09, said: “Money is killing the spirit of the game. I don't want to mention a name here, but good players are made to be in a great team.”

The striker went on to add that players were making decisions based on finance rather than football. He said: “And most of the players are not in a bad team, but they are not in their right place or position. Money is killing football because some people are making the decision because of money.”

Adebayor signed a new contract at the Emirates over the summer, despite reports suggesting he would leave Arsenal and the striker confessed he could have left the club.

“If I had made my decision because of money, I would not be at Arsenal. I would have been in Milan or Barcelona. You know how I could be earning a lot more money than I am earning here,” said the Gunner before adding, “I made my decision because I love playing for Arsenal and don't regret anything.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:52 pm 

"not naming names"?, must be referring to Notts County.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:00 pm 

whippinpicidilly wrote:
"not naming names"?, must be referring to Notts County.

The article was taken from a year ago :rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:05 pm 

LegendKiller63 wrote:
The article was taken from a year ago :rolleyes:

Adebayor's psychic, innit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:06 pm 

He's quite good isn't he.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:53 pm 

Glad he didn't just come for the money then

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:02 pm 

arthur7171 wrote:
Funny Article from about a year ago :D

Adebayor: Money Is Ruining The Game

Emmanuel Adebayor Arsenal’s Togolese striker, has slammed the current state of the game and insisted that money is ruining football.
25 Oct 2008 13:42:06

As reported by skysports.com, Adebayor, speaking at the launch of EA Sports' Fifa 09, said: “Money is killing the spirit of the game. I don't want to mention a name here, but good players are made to be in a great team.”

The striker went on to add that players were making decisions based on finance rather than football. He said: “And most of the players are not in a bad team, but they are not in their right place or position. Money is killing football because some people are making the decision because of money.”

Adebayor signed a new contract at the Emirates over the summer, despite reports suggesting he would leave Arsenal and the striker confessed he could have left the club.

“If I had made my decision because of money, I would not be at Arsenal. I would have been in Milan or Barcelona. You know how I could be earning a lot more money than I am earning here,” said the Gunner before adding, “I made my decision because I love playing for Arsenal and don't regret anything.”

I read that today. It was on the main page of Goal.com along with other news that was about a year old. Like a time warp. Took me a while to realise it was fucked up. Spurs 4 -4 Arsenal? (fantasy league flashed though my mind) Roy Keane's coaching Sunderland.... again? :rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:02 pm 

Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire (originally from denton mcr)
25 goals in all comps this season is my guess and thats despite the 5 matches he will miss because of afro nations..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:05 pm 

blueinyorkshire wrote:
25 goals in all comps this season is my guess and thats despite the 5 matches he will miss because of afro nations..

Will Togo qualify? Ade aside, they're pretty dross aren't they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:23 am 

blueinyorkshire wrote:

Disgraceful

Quote:
The world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and love everyone. Try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go. And so I became a waiter ... Well, it's not much of a philosophy I know ... but well ... fuck you! I can live my own life in my own way if I want to! Fuck off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:29 am 
Micahrichardsatemybaby wrote:
Disgraceful

"What do you mean, Belgium aren't allowed to compete?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:37 am 

"What do you mean, I'm not playing in the Afro Nations? You seen me, you jive muthafucker?"

Quote:
The world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and love everyone. Try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go. And so I became a waiter ... Well, it's not much of a philosophy I know ... but well ... fuck you! I can live my own life in my own way if I want to! Fuck off!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 875 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next