Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:59 am 

I'm guessing now that he'll stay, but never mind. We have lost nothing by trying, and i'm sure Hughes has other irons in the fire.

But who knows? He may still come. He has obviously given it thought, otherwise he would have made a statement a while ago saying he was staying at Chelsea. And Hughes said earlier in the week that when the time came that he knew a deal wasn't possible, he would concede.

The fact he hasn't done that yet means he obviously believes a deal could still happen.

So, we'll see, but i'm not that confident at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:02 am 

Squidge wrote:
I'm guessing now that he'll stay, but never mind. We have lost nothing by trying, and i'm sure Hughes has other irons in the fire.

I'm getting a bit fed up, though, of high profile pursuits of players that end in nothing. I know we attempted to keep this bid private but it's still ended up all over the press

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:04 am 

NoddytheAdlingtonBlue wrote:
I'm getting a bit fed up, though, of high profile pursuits of players that end in nothing. I know we attempted to keep this bid private but it's still ended up all over the press

We're gonna have to go through this though. Top players are knocking United back, so obviously we're gonna have to deal with it.

I'm glad we're going for them though. Hughes clearly has other signings lined up (pulling out of Eto'o bid and signing Adebayor for example). We'll lose nothing and could potentially gain a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:57 am 

Fuck terry off. Sign Toure Hangeland and Lescott. Keep Ned and Dunne. Then make a bid for the top 4.

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:55 am 

This would be a fine set of signings but i would rather not have Lescott if it means losing Ned.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_city/article6727549.ece

Kolo Toure is first in triple City bid

MANCHESTER CITY have agreed personal terms with Arsenal defender Kolo Toure as the Premier League’s most affluent football club continue their assault on the English transfer market. City expect to sign Toure, Joleon Lescott and John Terry by the end of August for combined fees of around £100m.

Occasional Arsenal captain Toure has been seduced by City’s standard double-your-money offer and following a season in which he was not consistently Arsene Wenger’s first choice should be sold for around £15m. The Arab-financed club have offered Everton £20m plus England under-21 international Nedum Onuoha for Lescott, who has been attracted by the prospect of starting in his preferred central defensive position.

The assault on Terry, however, has proved the most complicated with Chelsea, acting on orders from owner Roman Abramovich, repeatedly stating he is not for sale at any price.

Indeed, Carlo Ancelotti, the Chelsea coach, made the strongest statement yet on Terry when he promised his captain would remain at Chelsea and ignore the City overtures. “For sure Terry will stay in Chelsea, we have never had a problem,” Ancelotti said. “We have to wait. You have to have trust in me.”

City continue to receive strong encouragement that Terry wants the £250,000 weekly wage on offer in Manchester and are preparing to push the transfer fee beyond £40m to secure him. They are also boosted by Terry’s sustained public silence on the matter, conscious that the player’s future will remain unresolved at least until he has stated his intention to continue his career at Stamford Bridge or to move north to Eastlands.

It is understood the 28-year-old has been disappointed with the club’s failure to make top-tier reinforcements and that Abramovich did not consult him over Carlo Ancelotti’s appointment as manager. He has also complained of Chelsea’s lassitude in contacting him after City’s initial summer offer, and over having to wait a week for a meeting with Abramovich after the second.

Though Terry appears to face a difficult decision over his future, Hughes and his coaching staff remain confident he will manage to extricate himself from Chelsea — even if he is forced into requesting a transfer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:59 am 

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1202202/John-Terry-close-mega-deal-Emmanuel-Adebayor-insists-England-skipper-break-British-transfer-record-join-Manchester-City.html

Terry close to City mega deal as Adebayor insists England skipper will break British transfer record to join him

By Daniel King and Joe Bernstein
Last updated at 10:42 PM on 25th July 2009

Manchester City last night edged closer to signing England and Chelsea captain John Terry for a British record transfer fee of £35million.

And City's most recent signing, £25m striker Emmanuel Adebayor, said he believed Terry would follow him to Eastlands.

Adebayor said: 'I think there is a big possibility John will join us.

'People didn't believe six months ago that Carlos Tevez or myself would be playing here. We have come to Manchester City to be THE big team. Why shouldn't John be persuaded to come here, too?'

New Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has staked his credibility on Terry staying at Stamford Bridge and resisting the temptation to double his £135,000-a-week wages by moving to City.

Terry's refusal again yesterday to commit himself publicly to Chelsea has strengthened City's confidence that he will return to England this week with an open mind, despite Chelsea trying to force him to declare his intentions.

But Ancelotti, speaking in the United States after Chelsea had defeated his former club AC Milan 2-1 with goals by Didier Drogba and £18m debutant Yuri Zhirkov, said: 'For sure, Terry will stay at Chelsea. We have never had a problem. You have to have trust in me.'

Moments later Terry left the M and T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, where Chelsea fans had displayed banners reading 'JT Captain Leader Legend' and 'JT Please Stay', without offering as much as a word about his future.

Chelsea appear confident Terry will not risk ruining his reputation as 'Mr Chelsea' by asking for a transfer, which is the only way they would allow him to leave. A source close to Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich said: 'I think he will stay.'

And Drogba, asked if he would take over as captain if Terry departed, insisted: 'He's not going to leave. He's our captain. There's only one captain.'

But City think Chelsea's attempts to force Terry into a corner could backfire and regard his failure to talk throughout the team's pre-season tour of America as a sign he wants to investigate further the prospect of moving to the north-west.

After a third and final World Football Challenge match in Dallas early tomorrow morning against Mexican side Club America, Chelsea return home with less than two weeks to go before the Community Shield against champions Manchester United.

It is unthinkable that Terry would be allowed to go into that game without having reached a decision, and the situation is expected to be resolved before Saturday's friendly at Reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:02 pm 

I know this probably means nothing, but Hughes hasn't put anything on the website about the Terry persuit being over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:03 pm 

Have we signed him yet?

Oh shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:07 pm 

Cockney Twats staying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:10 pm 

Gallagheresque wrote:
Cockney Twats staying.

yeahh took his time about telling us as well.

'kin idiot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:14 am 

From what I read on SSN, I think fair play to him.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11679_5455377,00.html

He also kept his options open for the future in case too with this...

"I am very flattered and honoured by the bid Man City put in for me. I have huge respect for Mark Hughes and people around Man City, but at the same time I have been at Chelsea for 14 years now and I aim to spend the rest of my career with them."

You cant say fairer than that really. He has gone up in my estimation from reading this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:16 am 

fair enough, now lets go and get a realistic target

Aguero

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25