Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:44 pm 

Bluewythy wrote:
That guillem balaque bloke (something like that) seemed pretty sure we want a passing centre mid. Said we wanted alonso but his heart was set on real.

I'd say Barry fills that pretty adequately, but an Elano-esque player sans the attitude is what I'd like to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:46 pm 

hesherehesthere wrote:
I'd say Barry fills that pretty adequately, but an Elano-esque player sans the attitude is what I'd like to see.

he said sneijder or riquelme(sp)

Post subject:

Micahrichardsatemybaby wrote:
It's called having a squad. Strength in depth. Shame he's currently injured, but because of our awesome SQUAd, that doesn't matter

The money is meaningless. Why don't you understand this?

I'm all for having a good squad, but completely inflating everything is not the way to go about it, and I used to feel that the club respected this. After all, isn't that why we cut ties with Al Fahim, as he was talking up our cash to the point that ridiculous fees were going to be demanded. And now, every club is going to think along the lines of "If Lescott is worth £24million, our player is worth that, if not more".

Post subject:

Bluewythy wrote:
That guillem balaque bloke (something like that) seemed pretty sure we want a passing centre mid. Said we wanted alonso but his heart was set on real.

Sounds like Schneider maybe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:52 pm 

At least now we can get rid of Ben Haim, safe in the knowledge we have 5 good centre backs ahead of him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:02 pm 

hesherehesthere wrote:
I'm all for having a good squad, but completely inflating everything is not the way to go about it, and I used to feel that the club respected this. After all, isn't that why we cut ties with Al Fahim, as he was talking up our cash to the point that ridiculous fees were going to be demanded. And now, every club is going to think along the lines of "If Lescott is worth £24million, our player is worth that, if not more".

It's already an inflated market. Real have seen to that.

And what are we supposed to do? We can't sign the players without paying over the odds because we're signing good players that the clubs don't want to see leave. So do we just carry on with our under-quality team, trying to crack the top six?

We cut ties with Al Fahim as he suggested we'd soon have a team of Kaka/Torres/Villa etc. We've not done that. Gareth Barry's not a superstar.

Quote:
The world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and love everyone. Try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go. And so I became a waiter ... Well, it's not much of a philosophy I know ... but well ... fuck you! I can live my own life in my own way if I want to! Fuck off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:06 pm 

Tell barca we want xavi or iniesta, they can choose which. Get ribery as well cos he'll complete the set with tevez and lescott. Or do we need sloth from the goonies as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:11 pm 

Bluewythy wrote:

I reckon we should enquire about Arteta...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:30 pm 

So this transfer is finally done. Seemingly completing Hughes' major 'squad adjustments' But apparently there could be more to come...Check out this latest story http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1209048/Manchester-City-nab-6m-Serbian-wonderkid-Danijel-Aleksic-noses-Bayern-Munich-Ajax.html?ITO=1490

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:16 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
I reckon we should enquire about Arteta...

:D

Can I just call bullshit on the price? Whose arse was that figure pulled from? It just doesn't make sense.

- We make a £15m bid.
- Everton reject it.
- We make an £18m bid.
- Everton reject it.
- Lescott puts in a transfer request.
- Lescott has a 'mare against Arsenal.
- Moyes criticises his attitude and admits he'll have to sell him.

I don't see where us upping our bid by a full £6m fits into that little scheme. Maybe up to £20m, but £24m from £18m? Only if a significant amount was linked to success. And it's not the first time the price reported for an undisclosed bid was misreported. Hughes said not too long back that the £14m figure claimed for Bellamy was way off the mark, for example.

Anyway, whatever the price, he's expensive. But firstly, it's us, and secondly, he's English. Of course he's going to be massively overpriced. But in terms of English defenders, who else is there? Terry and Ferdinand are obviously the two best, but neither would come. But look beyond that, and Lescott is probably the most likely to become the next world class English defender. He's the clear 3rd choice for England now, and I think there is some merit in buying English talent if you can get it. He's just turned 27 and is already one of the best defenders in the league, despite not actually playing in it until the age of 24. Hopefully we can get him playing in the CL sooner rather than later, and I suspect he'll have the class to step up to that level too.

Anyway, to more important matters. Does anyone else think that Lescott has the right-shaped head to suit being bald? Why wouldn't you just go for the full clean-shaven look?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:53 am 
I am delighted to get this done. The suggested price of £22mil is too expensive. £15mil would be more about right but I have no problem with this. We have the money and now we have a superb left footed CB that can score goals.

The final piece of this particular jigsaw falls in to place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:59 am 

Pleased that it has finally happened, but as many of you have said, the price is high. Still, we got one of the best English central defenders to play alongside Toure, albeit I think Dunne has been great in the opening two games and Villa are interested in him.

But finally, it's over, we've got Lescott. I'm happy. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:42 am 

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:52 am 

Emigre wrote:
I am delighted to get this done. The suggested price of £22mil is too expensive. £15mil would be more about right but I have no problem with this. We have the money and now we have a superb left footed CB that can score goals.

The final piece of this particular jigsaw falls in to place.

I wonder if the delay was Everton insisting on a sell on clause? :whistle:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:13 am 

I'm With Stupid wrote:

Can I just call bullshit on the price? Whose arse was that figure pulled from? It just doesn't make sense.

- We make a £15m bid.
- Everton reject it.
- We make an £18m bid.
- Everton reject it.
- Lescott puts in a transfer request.
- Lescott has a 'mare against Arsenal.
- Moyes criticises his attitude and admits he'll have to sell him.

I don't see where us upping our bid by a full £6m fits into that little scheme. Maybe up to £20m, but £24m from £18m? Only if a significant amount was linked to success. And it's not the first time the price reported for an undisclosed bid was misreported. Hughes said not too long back that the £14m figure claimed for Bellamy was way off the mark, for example.

Anyway, whatever the price, he's expensive. But firstly, it's us, and secondly, he's English. Of course he's going to be massively overpriced. But in terms of English defenders, who else is there? Terry and Ferdinand are obviously the two best, but neither would come. But look beyond that, and Lescott is probably the most likely to become the next world class English defender. He's the clear 3rd choice for England now, and I think there is some merit in buying English talent if you can get it. He's just turned 27 and is already one of the best defenders in the league, despite not actually playing in it until the age of 24. Hopefully we can get him playing in the CL sooner rather than later, and I suspect he'll have the class to step up to that level too.

Anyway, to more important matters. Does anyone else think that Lescott has the right-shaped head to suit being bald? Why wouldn't you just go for the full clean-shaven look?

Nah, his head is too square, innit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:40 am 

I can't say I am particularly impressed with how any of this has gone.We could have bought better for the same money and with much less fuss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:45 am 

right, who we are going to sign next ?

(please, please, please close this thread)

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:48 am 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
I can't say I am particularly impressed with how any of this has gone.We could have bought better for the same money and with much less fuss.

Can't argue with you Bert but I think some "home" players are an important core to the team and that always makes life difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:08 am 

Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire (originally from denton mcr)
every player has a price and every player has a price to city

dont worry about the money, its irrelevant, the fact is we have another proven premiership player who wont need time to settle, can head a ball, has two good feet and can score from corners....its another good signing and step in the right direction, when we had limited funds or when sven had the cheque book we always hoped and prayed that the foreign imports would make the grade and adapt to the premiership...
all the signings hughes has made this season know the premiership well, have played in the premiership and have been good players in the premiership....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:15 am 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:

I know what you are saying Bert but I can't think of any better left sided central defenders who would actually have been available. Who were you thinking of? Maybe we tried from them and weren't able to get them?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next