Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 424  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:32 pm 

Micahrichardsatemybaby wrote:
Wardle does not have to take any blame for giving it to him because had he not given it him in the first place, Keegan would've flounced off again just a bit sooner than he did. What you're saying is "by giving keegan all that money, it's not his fault if he spent it on shit". Admittedly, it wasn't all shit, Anelka and Distin for example were great buys, but a whole lot of it was shit and spent naievely on players who, when we sold, we lost lots of money on.
Keegan got Bernstein removed from the club, crippled us financially.

That was a great season, but his achievements outside of that are limited to three games?

No no, of course not. The season following the promotion for a start, that was a great first season up.

I believe Wardle allowed Keegan to spend beyond our means, which we then paid for for a few seasons until Thaksin bought us, signing the likes of Corradi etc.

Berstein going was a downer for sure, possibley the worst part of the Keegan era, but i still think we have a lot to thank KK for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:33 pm 

Just heard a rumour that City have done a deal with Everton for Lescott to come to us and Micah going the other way, plus some pocket change. Around £16m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:35 pm 

I just heard we got Eto'o and Villa in the bag to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:40 pm 

I heard a rumour Dave Bentley's going to Burnley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:51 pm 

I heard something about some bloke called Gareth who plays for England joining City.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:54 pm 

Fleetwood Mac >>> this thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:54 pm 

hesherehesthere wrote:
I heard something about some bloke called Gareth who plays for England joining City.

No it's all hype.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:38 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:

5L(L) >>> This thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:45 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:

Definitely.

KickerConspiracy wrote:
5L(L) >>> This thread.

Hmmm. Are we talking pre Bassman or post Bassman?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:49 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Definitely.

Hmmm. Are we talking pre Bassman or post Bassman?

Is there a post bassman 5L(L)? If they havent replaced him yet, I've got a metronome they can buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:51 pm 

There is, but we're not allowed to mention it on here lest he find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:00 am 

i'm just going to start posting these things from the gruaniad, because tehy are about as good as anything else and usually humourous.

Football transfer rumours: Chelsea target £45m Sergio Agüero?Today's gossip needs to apologise for being late
Comments (3)

Buzz up!
Digg it
Simon Burnton
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 10 June 2009 09.30 BST
Article history

Sergio Agüero: Chelsea-bound? Photograph: Javier Sorano/AFP/Getty Images

Tax return. The words are enough to get the average financially-illiterate working man or woman shuddering with uncontrollable convulsions of repulsion, as if they'd been strapped to a chair and forced to watch Hannah Montana: The Movie on constant repeat for a fortnight while angry crows pecked furiously at those little bits of sensitive skin between their toes.

But tax doesn't have to be taxing, as the advertising slogan goes, and Sergio Agüero has come up with a cunning way around the whole thing – just think of a number, any number, and ask your employers to pay you whatever it takes for that number to go into your bank account after everything else has been taken care of. And as far as the 21-year-old Atlético Madrid striker is concerned, that number is £6.5m a year.

Chelsea don't like that number very much, equivalent as it is to £11m before tax, a Kaka's-wages-at-Madrid-busting £200,000 a week. Or the overall £45m transfer outlay. So they might buy Pato instead, Milan's Brazilian being both £15m cheaper than the Argentine at £30m, and also massively indebted to Chelsea coach Carlo Ancelotti for making his European adventure such a success so far.

Pato might find himself on a plane from Milan to London sitting next to Internazionale's Chilean forward Luis Jiménez, who might not move to West Ham because Tottenham want him instead. Harry Redknapp's other desires of the day: Atlético's captain Maxi Rodríguez, Galatasaray winger Arda Turan and Blackburn's Tottenham reject Paul Robinson. They don't want Aston Villa target Jermaine Jenas, Sevilla-bound-after-all Didier Zokora, Heurelho Gomes – who, like many of Amsterdam's more notorious residents, is known to be available to anyone in Holland at a knock-down price – or Ruud van Nistelrooy, after they realised that the Dutchman is unlikely to be fully fit until December 2048, by which time he'll be 72.

Unusually, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool don't want to sign anyone today, but further down the Premier League table there's all sorts of business to be done. Everton are celebrating the possible capture of Leeds sensation Fabian Delph, David Moyes having outmanoeuvred Fulham and Sunderland to clinch a £4m deal. Aston Villa have inquired about the Marseille defensive midfielder Benoît Cheyrou, and the French club have been offered Newcastle's bepermed flop Fabricio Coloccini. Also sniffing around Newcastle hoping to pick up a bargain are Blackburn, who reckon they can work out whether Alan Smith is a striker or a midfielder, and the Nicky Butt-fancying Wolves (who should wrap up a deal for Serbian international Nenad Milijas today).

Birmingham are flexing their newly-promoted financial muscle with a swoop for Manchester City bench-warmer Joe Hart, who will be replaced on the Eastlands sidelines by Sheffield Wednesday's Lee Grant. Blues are also signing Ecuador's 32-year-old defender Giovanny Espinoza, but will have to rustle up a £5m deal if they are to further bolster their backline with Cardiff's Roger Johnson. And they're still not finished, busily vying with Fulham for Frenchman Sekou Baradji.

Over at Ewood Park, Sam Allardyce's search for a target man has seen him target 6ft 5in Austrian Marc Janko, for whom Red Bull Salzburg want £7m. Paris St-Germain's Jérôme Rothen and his fellow Frenchman Steven Nzonzi are also on his shopping list.

Outside the top flight, Middlesbrough want £1.5m Villa flop Marlon Harewood, a figure that Nottingham Forest hope will beat rival bids from Coventry and Sheffield United and tempt Birmingham to part with Gary McSheffrey. Forest have also got £2m to burn on Doncaster's Matt Mills, a similar fee to the one the Blades are ready to lavish on Leeds winger Robert Snodgrass, unless he is inspired to produce some Agüero-inspired, net-of-tax-if-you-don't-mind ludicrous wage demands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:43 am 

Quote:
Birmingham are flexing their newly-promoted financial muscle with a swoop for Manchester City bench-warmer Joe Hart, who will be replaced on the Eastlands sidelines by Sheffield Wednesday's Lee Grant.

I thought we were just trying to loan him out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:39 pm 

Today's gossip, just for the record.

Quote:
AC Milan's 19-year-old Brazilian striker Alexandre Pato has opened the door to a £40m switch to join former boss Carlo Ancelotti at Chelsea by asking for permission to talk terms with the Blues.
(Full story: Daily Mirror)

Alternatively, Chelsea have earmarked that £40m to fund a move for Atletico Madrid's Argentine striker Sergio Aguero.
(Full story: Daily Star)

Midfielder Javier Mascherano has stunned Liverpool by admitting he wants to quit Anfield and join Champions League winners Barcelona, saying "if a club like Barcelona want you, obviously a player will say he wants to play there".
(Full story: The Sun)

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez says he will now "do everything possible" to get Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo at the club after sealing the world record £56m transfer of Kaka.
(Full story: Daily Express)

The Old Trafford outfit though have been given a clear run to sign Wigan winger Antonio Valencia after Real's interest in the player has cooled.
(Full story: Independent)

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is preparing to trawl Europe's bargain basement for new players after his ambitious summer spending plans were hit by the club's financial crisis.

Arsenal are ready to offload defender William Gallas once they complete the signing of £11m Ajax centre-back Thomas Vermaelen.

West Ham and England defender Matthew Upson could be on his way out of Upton Park after putting his house up for sale.

Tottenham have lined up summer moves for Atletico Madrid midfielder Maxi Rodriguez and Galatasaray winger Arda Turan.
(Full story: Daily Mail)

Tottenham are also aiming to beat West Ham to the signing of Inter Milan's £10million-rated Chilean forward Luis Jimenez.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp will also kick off a shake-up of his playing staff by selling Brazilian goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes.

Manchester City will expect any club looking to sign out-of-contract striker Daniel Sturridge to pay a £10m 'development fee' to the Blues.
(Full story: Independent)

Full-back Glen Johnson will quit Portsmouth for a club playing Champions League football next season in order to guarantee his World Cup place.

Chelsea defender Michael Mancienne has refused to rule out a loan move away from Stamford Bridge next season in order to guarantee him first-team football. (Daily Star)

West Ham chief executive Scott Duxbury has revealed that the club are close to making three major signings.
(Full story: Daily Telegraph)

Premier League new boys Wolves hope to conclude the signing of Red Star Belgrade's Serbian international midfielder Nenad Milijas for £2.6m.

Wolves are also in the hunt for Newcastle midfielder Nicky Butt.
(Full story: Daily Mail) Blackburn want the future of Paraguayan striker Roque Santa Cruz sorted out by the end of this month, with Manchester City still leading the chase for the player.

Reading midfielder Stephen Hunt is being chased by Everton and Sunderland after admitting he needs a "fresh start".

Everton are set to win the race to sign Leeds' highly rated England Under-21 midfielder Fabian Delph.

Manchester City have made a move for Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Lee Grant after agreeing to let Joe Hart join Birmingham on loan.
(Full story: Daily Mail)

Cardiff have told Birmingham that they must pay £5m up front if they want to sign centre-back Roger Johnson.

Middlesbrough want Marlon Harewood this summer after Aston Villa put a £1.5million price tag on the striker.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/default.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:42 pm 

Who in their right minds would sign Heurelho Gomes??

Bet Charlie can't wait to see the back of him...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:43 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:

Charlie was biding his time for a backlash.
He'll be gutted to see Heurelho go, and it may indeed be the beginning of his Tottenham exit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:44 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:

It would make a change from seeing his knee fast approaching his face. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:45 pm 

Benny wrote:
It would make a change from seeing his knee fast approaching his face. :)

Quite :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:05 pm 

From that article up there^

"Alternatively, Chelsea have earmarked that £40m to fund a move for Atletico Madrid's Argentine striker Sergio Aguero".

(Full story: Daily Spazz)

Oh noes. Benny, this cannot be allowed to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:14 pm 

save me jeebus wrote:
From that article up there^

"Alternatively, Chelsea have earmarked that £40m to fund a move for Atletico Madrid's Argentine striker Sergio Aguero".

(Full story: Daily Spazz)

Oh noes. Benny, this cannot be allowed to happen.

We'll outbid them, never fear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 424  Next