This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:17 pm 

From MUEN

City snub Ronaldo
Chris Bailey
16/ 9/2008

BIG-hitting City have rejected the chance to sign Brazil's former world player of the year Ronaldo.

The former Real Madrid Galactico had been courted by the Blues' outgoing owner Thaksin Shinawatra for most of the summer as the former Thai Prime Minister sought the superstar he saw as vital to his business plan.

Executive chairman Garry Cook met with the former Barcelona, Inter Milan, and AC Milan star and the Blues even travelled to Europe to carry out their own medical tests on the player who celebrates his 32nd birthday later this week.

Click on the video link on the right to see a clip of Channel M's City Debate show

A ruptured knee sustained playing for Milan against Livorno has kept Ronaldo sidelined since February of this year and the Rossoneri subsequent released him in the summer when the player became a free agent.

However, any deal - even pay-as-you-play - for the three times world player of the year who has 104 Brazil caps to his name - the last of them more than two years ago - seemed dead in the water until sources in Spain reported that Ronaldo had accepted an offer from City for one year, with the option of another 12 months that was worth £7m!

But the Blues, set to come under the control of Sheikh Mansour in a £210m deal this week, have moved quickly to distance themselves from any such agreement.

Circumstances

Both executive chairman Cook and chief operating officer Paul Aldridge denied that the veteran Brazilian was coming to City.

Aldridge even went as far as telling the Failsworth Branch of the Blues supporters Club, where he was a guest on Monday night, that there was no truth in the story that a contract has been signed.

A Blues spokesperson confirmed to the M.E.N: "We had shown a past interest in bringing the player to the football club in the right circumstances and had spoken to him and his representatives, but we have chosen not to pursue the matter."

Despite the official line, Ronaldo claims he is ready to link up with fellow Brazilian Robinho at Eastlands.

He reportedly said: “I like the project that Manchester City have presented me.

Blend

“They want to make the club one of the best in the world and I feel that I can help.

“It is the best offer I’ve received and it will be very interesting to play with Robinho.

“Me and him, together, we can score more than 50 goals.”

Even if City had decided on adding to their Brazilian blend, it would have taken free agent Ronaldo until Christmas to get into any kind of shape to challenge his young countrymen Jo and Robinho for a place in the side.

And it is not even clear whether or not boss Mark Hughes even wanted the player. Only last week the strong-willed City boss was stressing the need for signing young players that can be improved and whose value will rise with time.

The injury-ravaged Ronaldo, for all his medals and eye-popping deeds, hardly fits that bill.

The question of the viability and wisdom of bringing in `Galacticos' is likely to be one of the first answered when the takeover by Abu Dhabi royal prince Sheikh Mansour has been completed.

If they are to live up to their description of being pragmatic and prudent - the words of Cook at the weekend - then surely they do not need the expensive sideshow of once great players that may be past contributing in any meaningful way on the pitch.