Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:40 pm 

It's a fantastic testement to the guy's all-round ability that he's capable of doing the job in the 3 positions mentioned. Such versatility will be invaluable come the mid season conjestion of fixtures, given the guys insatiable desire to play.

Personally i believe RB gets the most out of his abilities, as while he isn't a fantastic crosser, he has the ability to beat a man - as much to do with his strength as his speed - and loves to cut inside, playing balls along the ground. With Jo being a bit of a poacher, this could suit his game too.

Corluka's physicality and calmness on the ball could then be utilised in the middle of defence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:46 pm 

Picto wrote:
It's a fantastic testement to the guy's all-round ability that he's capable of doing the job in the 3 positions mentioned. Such versatility will be invaluable come the mid season conjestion of fixtures, given the guys insatiable desire to play.

Personally i believe RB gets the most out of his abilities, as while he isn't a fantastic crosser, he has the ability to beat a man - as much to do with his strength as his speed - and loves to cut inside, playing balls along the ground. With Jo being a bit of a poacher, this could suit his game too.

Corluka's physicality and calmness on the ball could then be utilised in the middle of defence.

Conker fully. Stick Corluka in the middle and give Richards a run around as a wing back, can't be too much of a disastrous decision?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:38 am 

Charlie wasn't bad when he played some games as holding midfielder (last season), not a bad idea giving him the chance again. Any opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:44 am 

corluka is better served in defense as is micah with them 2 and dunnie we have one of the better defenses around. just buy a midfielder and leave the roaster where he belongs.

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:57 am 

Miggs V3 wrote:
corluka is better served in defense as is micah with them 2 and dunnie we have one of the better defenses around. just buy a midfielder and leave the roaster where he belongs.

give me some names?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:46 am 

annan, sweep, bentley, gattuso, riquelme

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:00 am 

Joaquin
Deisler (out of retirement)
Luque
Mancini
Maniche
Luis Garcia

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:14 am 

If his all around passing game isn't so good, then playing him at right back would also be ineffective. Sure he'd be great going forward, but wouldn't he just misplace/overhit his crosses into the box?

As good as he is going forward, i can't think of too many goals he's scored or set up that haven't come from a set piece

I think he'd be perfect for the ball winning midfielder. Makelele isn't a great passer. Vieira wasn't exactly pinpoint with his passing neither. Both still dominated the midfield. So long as we have somebody with great technical ability alongside him, i really don't see the problem with trying it.

Even if it doesn't work, kudos to Hughes for at least trying something new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:25 am 

diarra would be a great signing,

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:29 am 

ono wrote:
If his all around passing game isn't so good, then playing him at right back would also be ineffective. Sure he'd be great going forward, but wouldn't he just misplace/overhit his crosses into the box?

As good as he is going forward, i can't think of too many goals he's scored or set up that haven't come from a set piece

I think he'd be perfect for the ball winning midfielder. Makelele isn't a great passer. Vieira wasn't exactly pinpoint with his passing neither. Both still dominated the midfield. So long as we have somebody with great technical ability alongside him, i really don't see the problem with trying it.

Even if it doesn't work, kudos to Hughes for at least trying something new.

When Micah played at right back for us in the distant days of having a natural right winger he was excellent, and I think we've missed his pace on the right. It's also the position which brought him to the attention of the England set up, and over all impressed everybody.

I just can't see Micah as a midfielder, or rather as an attacking midfielder due to his ball distribution. Yes he could play the 'Hamann role', but by doing that were not really utilising his strengths, plus again you'd have to question his distribution.

On top of all that, if Hughes does look to mould him into a midfielder, the poor lad could see his short term England career go up the spout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:30 am 

ESM wrote:
When Micah played at right back for us in the distant days of having a natural right winger he was excellent, and I think we've missed his pace on the right. It's also the position which brought him to the attention of the England set up, and over all impressed everybody.

I just can't see Micah as a midfielder, or rather as an attacking midfielder due to his ball distribution. Yes he could play the 'Hamann role', but by doing that were not really utilising his strengths, plus again you'd have to question his distribution.

On top of all that, if Hughes does look to mould him into a midfielder, the poor lad could see his short term England career go up the spout.

hmm... hate to say it but i agree with you esm

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"