PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:17 am 

How come i never knew...
Well. Welcome back.

Post subject: Re: James Milner
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:15 pm 

First senior international goal :approve:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:22 pm 

For many who throng the terraces or stand pontificating in front of bar-room screens, Milner embodies dogged, disciplined traits when more intoxicating qualities are craved. Milner is steady not spectacular, providing a convenient lightning rod for any criticism of yeoman England.

Barbs trip off many tongues, either dismissing his worth or damning him with faint praise. He is the former schoolboy cross-country champion who just runs and runs. He is neither the quickest nor capable of technical pyrotechnics. He is the honest English workhorse in an era when Spanish thoroughbreds canter elegantly across the land.

He is also due a reappraisal and not simply because he approaches the 10th anniversary of his immersion in the professional game. A rethink is required on a footballer who returned to Luton from Chisinau in the early hours this morning with reputation enhanced.

Any meaningful assessment of England’s 5-0 victory must carry the obvious caveat that Moldova make minnows look like sharks. A truer picture of any bright new dawn under Roy Hodgson will emerge only when the opposition can organise themselves defensively, keep possession and mount threatening attacks. Moldova painfully lacked such abilities.

So due caution is required when dissecting this game. Along with the positive impressions made by Tom Cleverley and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain must be added proper acknowledgement of Milner’s substantial contribution. He may struggle to force his way into Roberto Mancini’s first-choice plans at Manchester City but Milner has become established in Hodgson’s England.

Hodgson knows that Milner is not the type to receive glowing testimonies from outside the dressing-room but the England manager, and the players, appreciate his sweat-soaked importance to the collective. Milner now has to prove he can deliver against vastly superior foe to Moldova.

But every team needs its Milners, its stage-builders who allow others to perform. Every team is grateful to its “water-carriers” to borrow Eric Cantona’s haughty view of Didier Deschamps. Throughout his career, Milner has assisted celebrated names from Mark Viduka to Alan Shearer, Patrick Kluivert to Mario Balotelli.

Milner is the man who serves the stars.

He offers balance and tactical awareness to the side, providing the adhesive that helps hold the unit together. The case for Milner would be undermined if England could field a more defensively-disciplined right-back than Glen Johnson. Even if Johnson were unavailable, the likes of Kyle Walker and Micah Richards would appreciate Milner’s selfless efforts. He covers instinctively.

Even first-year students of Hodgson’s teams understand he is a conservative coach, rarely unleashing two out-and-out adrenalin-filled attacking wide-players. If he has a roving Oxlade-Chamberlain coming off one flank, Hodgson likes a Milner-type to keep the shape and numbers in midfield.

The cramped, chaotic home of FC Zimbru saw the sustained appliance of Milner’s strengths. This was the most eye-catching of his 32 internationals. He got beyond the Moldovan left-back, hitting the line. His accurate cutback allowed Cleverley to force the fortuitous penalty for England’s first goal. For the third, Milner’s simple pass set Oxlade-Chamberlain on his way through to set up Jermain Defoe. He scored the fourth, taking responsibility when Danny Welbeck, Theo Walcott and Cleverley risked over-elaboration.

It was the type of finish he has conjured up down the years, appearing on the edge of the area to meet the ball first-time. He knows when and where to make the most productive runs. A good strike against Aston Villa last year was a classic example. The City man’s refusal to celebrate scoring against his former club also signalled his qualities as a man. Milner has integrity, a touch of humility.

He is Mr Sensible, a solid ambassador for club, country and his profession. He has his own foundation and lives a quiet life.

Interviewed early on in his Leeds United career, Milner was asked who he preferred: “J-Lo or Beyoncé?” He replied with a firm: “Neither, I prefer my girlfriend”. He is teetotal, the possessor of 11 GCSEs, the antithesis of the flash-the-cash footballer. Milner was born mature.

He deserves respect. On Friday, he scored, schemed, raced forward, tracked back, earned praise from Hodgson, yet garnered little public acclaim. Maybe he is a victim of his own versatility. He started on the right and ended on the left. A former PFA Young Player of the Year, Milner can play central midfield, in the hole, even right-back.

He’s almost as adaptable as that luminary Paul Madeley, another local lad who graduated through the Leeds ranks in the sixties. Milner is comfortable on his left foot as well as his right, a result of his father Peter making him work hard on his weaker foot.

Often perceived as simply a straight-line runner, there is more fluidity and dexterity to Milner’s game than usually credited. During City’s momentous 6-1 defeat of Manchester United last season, Milner played a superb pass to David Silva, moved quickly to receive the return before crossing accurately for Balotelli to score. Maybe Milner needs to try such moments of skill more often, although he is not the gambling type.

Milner is only 26 yet Nov 10 marks a decade since his first-team debut, coming on for Jason Wilcox with six minutes remaining and Leeds inching to a 4-3 success over West Ham. Having made his name at Leeds, the club where he had been a fan and ball-boy, Milner moved on to Newcastle United, Villa and now City. Even if Mancini remains to be convinced of Milner’s merits, and particularly his ability to shine against the most demanding opposition, Hodgson is a confirmed admirer.

Whatever the scepticism in many quarters, Milner will win many caps under Hodgson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:29 pm 

Gallagheresque wrote:
well said things.

I can appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:25 am 

Glowing report, possibly a little overwhelming.

Interesting to read this given the pasting James got from my mates on facebook.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:20 pm 

how bad do the other center midfield options have to be before this guy gets a game?

does bobby know jimmy can play holding mid?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:43 pm 

jcwilsn1 wrote:
how bad do the other center midfield options have to be before this guy gets a game?

does bobby know jimmy can play holding mid?

We do..and to be fair i think a decent job would have been done in said role.
Experience is something you cannot buy or teach mate..
tell bobby he needs to stop tinkering..and get you in..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:43 pm 

Absolutely fantastic today. His work rate is incredible. My man of the match.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:54 am 

kippax_in_my_blood wrote:
and to be fair i think a decent job would have been done in said role.

Bobby must read this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:24 pm 

pretty bummed about the red card. Not sure Milner will get too many chances when rodwell and garcia are fit. This was his chance to show off. Instead milner sacrifices himself for the team.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:33 pm 

Bit worried about Milner, cracking player who would be first name on the team sheet in any other team in the league. I know he's got a great attitude and is happy to bench warm a little bit, but bearing in mind there's a world cup coming up, it must be tough going to see the first weekend go past watching MOTD and not getting a single minute of playing time. Navas and Fernandinho are both new signings playing in positions he played in last year. I'd be gutted to see him go. I really hope we he doesn't get twitchy because I thought he was great when he played last season.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:57 am 

Bloody brilliant last night he was.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:34 pm 

Having a GREAT month!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:33 am 

Agitating for a move apparently. Or a new contract. I don't think 17 league starts is too shabby for him personally given our wealth of midfield talent

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:49 am 

I think he along with many others need to consider carefully what they ask for. he has been good, great at times but why would he leave? With 4 cups on offer next season, we'll be busy.

Top word Nods. My ex-girl friend who when I used to ask what she got from sex on the occasions she didn't orgasm, she would say 'as long as it gets agitated and aggravated I am happy'. I guess she got sick of counting the nights of being agitated and aggravated only. :(

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:18 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
I think he along with many others need to consider carefully what they ask for. he has been good, great at times but why would he leave? With 4 cups on offer next season, we'll be busy.

Top word Nods. My ex-girl friend who when I used to ask what she got from sex on the occasions she didn't orgasm, she would say 'as long as it gets agitated and aggravated I am happy'. I guess she got sick of counting the nights of being agitated and aggravated only. :(

he wants to play more games, and he wants a centre midfield place as well, which is apparently what he was told he would get when he signed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:09 pm 

Quote:
Young football fan reluctantly adopts Milner as role model

26-11-14

A 10-YEAR-OLD football fan has grudgingly hung a poster of James Milner on his wall.

Moderately excited

Manchester City fan Wayne Hayes audibly sighed as he removed a glossy A3 image of Mario Balotelli and applied Blu-Tac to a picture of Milner’s inexpressive face.

Hayes then began preparing an essay for school on what he wants to be when he grows up, making laboured, half-hearted assertions that he’d like to follow in Milner’s footsteps.

Hayes said: “He plays for Man City and England, so I suppose he’s my hero.

“I probably should see if I can get him to autograph something for me or ruffle my hair good-naturedly.

“If I could have a commendable, solid career like Milner’s I would be very happy, I guess.”

Although his face remained motionless, Milner insisted that he was deeply moved by Hayes’ newfound, resigned adulation.

He said: “It’s nice to be seen as a role model. If I were capable of it, I’d give a little bashful smile.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:35 am 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
Quote:
Young football fan reluctantly adopts Milner as role model

26-11-14

A 10-YEAR-OLD football fan has grudgingly hung a poster of James Milner on his wall.

Moderately excited

Manchester City fan Wayne Hayes audibly sighed as he removed a glossy A3 image of Mario Balotelli and applied Blu-Tac to a picture of Milner’s inexpressive face.

Hayes then began preparing an essay for school on what he wants to be when he grows up, making laboured, half-hearted assertions that he’d like to follow in Milner’s footsteps.

Hayes said: “He plays for Man City and England, so I suppose he’s my hero.

“I probably should see if I can get him to autograph something for me or ruffle my hair good-naturedly.

“If I could have a commendable, solid career like Milner’s I would be very happy, I guess.”

Although his face remained motionless, Milner insisted that he was deeply moved by Hayes’ newfound, resigned adulation.

He said: “It’s nice to be seen as a role model. If I were capable of it, I’d give a little bashful smile.”

Fucking LOL.

Quote:
Wayne Hayes

:TopHat1