Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dietmar Hamann
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:38 am 

From Sky Sports:

Dietmar Hamann insists that he can still play a major part for Manchester City next season.

The 35-year-old midfielder scored the winner in City's opening game of the season as they defeated EB/Streymur 2-0 in the Uefa Cup on Thursday.

Hamann admits he has a battle on his hand to convince new manager Mark Hughes that he is a valuable member of the squad.

"I know that I have to prove to the new manager Mark Hughes that I am still worth my place," he said.

"I am happy to work for Mark. He has only been here a few weeks and he has impressed everyone.

"I am looking forward to the new season just like always. Maybe he will sign a few more players before the start of the season, but that does not bother me.

"I am looking forward to the challenge and I am always here to fight for my place.

"I still think I have got a lot to offer."

Hamann is unconcerned by the prospect of any new faces that could arrive at the club this summer.

"If the manager wants to buy a new player, that is up to him. He needs to know what he wants for the team and that does not bother me," he continued.

"Obviously a few names have been linked but I just take it as it comes. We have been training for two weeks and I have other things to worry about than new players coming to the club.

"I have only worked with the new manager for a couple of weeks but the intensity has been very high. He is always asking the players and the staff to do things right and correctly.

"We have been training very hard and we will only see the difference from last season later on.

"When you played against Mark Hughes' sides at Blackburn it was always a very physical and they were a tough side to break down.

"Probably he will try to do the same here. Maybe at times last season we were found a little short. But we played some very good football, especially in the first half of the season.

"I was satisfied with a good season last time. It did fall apart in the last few weeks, but overall it has been good and we are obviously looking for an improvement on that."

I love Didi. His attitude is perfect and he seems like a decent bloke. Was very pleased to see him net against the Puffin eaters and it would be nice to see a couple more from him as a reward for all the hard work he's put in for us. I can't see him lasting much longer than this season though, so I suppose we'd better be thinking about a replacement. Fernandes at the moment doesn't have the presence or experience but should mature into the role but i'd like to see someone else come in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:11 am 

yup. Got to love the kaiser. I hope we keep him here in some capacity after he's done playing, the guy knows the game as well as anyone.

The pic of him and stevie is my wallpaper now. Top man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:47 am 

Benny wrote:
yup. Got to love the kaiser. [color="Red"]I hope we keep him here in some capacity after he's done playing, the guy knows the game as well as anyone[/color].

The pic of him and stevie is my wallpaper now. Top man.

Couldn't agree more. I think he'd be top as a coach. He's quite good when I've seen him being a TV pundit as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:09 am 

Badger wrote:
Couldn't agree more. I think he'd be top as a coach. He's quite good when I've seen him being a TV pundit as well.

and once again yup. I heart his blinky thing too. I'm just all hearting the kaiser. Seriously though, the guy must have loads of wisdom to impart to the juniors. We should suck it out of him. I reckon Hughes will do as much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:13 am 

Good on the bloke, still wishing to push on for the club, even though he's one of our older players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:40 am 

it's a bit worrying that Hamman will probly be our best midfielder at 35 - but he's still class

coaching after he retires ? fecking too right

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:55 am 

Timpblue wrote:
it's a bit worrying that Hamman will probly be our best midfielder at 35 - but he's still class

coaching after he retires ? fecking too right

He definitely deserves to become one of our coaching staff when he retires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:10 pm 

He's a grand bloke and he always gives his best, i think he's got a major part to play this coming season even at 35.. after that i would love to see him stay on at the club in some capacity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:12 pm 

he is ok, but he takes forever to get rid of the ball and his passes always get intercepted. I still think elano is out best midfielder. Gelson will be better than didi this year

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:12 pm 
I heart Didi. And he fucked Bolton over to come to us. Star.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:16 pm 

Emigre wrote:
I heart Didi. And he fucked fat sam over to come to us. Star.

even better

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:29 pm 

Pretty much the best player on the pitch I thought the other might (with the exception of Petrov)

Been a great signing for us was fantastic last season until he picked up a couple of injuries and ran out of steam.

I still think he will be a vital player for us this season regardless of who we buy. Can still come on for 20 - 30 minutes or even the second half to steady the ship / help hold on to a lead.

He a very economical player - hardly ever gives the ball away. Shame hes not 10 years younger. And yes definately worth keeping on in a coaching poisition - if thats what he wants to do when he finishes playing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:35 pm 

As much as i like Hamann we've got to get a replacement in sooner rather than later, how about Torsten Frings? I still think he can do a job for us this season though.. I'm getting impatient on the transfer front, we desperately need a rw and a lb, desperately hope we fill those positions this window.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:50 pm 

Would be hard to see Frings leaving Germany, If I remember rightly he's one of these players that has never wanted to leave his home nation. Couple that with the fact that he will be 32 in November and I don't think it would happen to be honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:06 pm 

moon_t wrote:
Would be hard to see Frings leaving Germany, If I remember rightly he's one of these players that has never wanted to leave his home nation. Couple that with the fact that he will be 32 in November and I don't think it would happen to be honest.

My bad i thought he was in his late twenties :S lol, Annan (sp?) would be a good addition then, i think he's only 21 aswell, looks promising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:28 am 

alera wrote:
Pretty much the best player on the pitch I thought the other might (with the exception of Petrov)

Been a great signing for us was fantastic last season until he picked up a couple of injuries and ran out of steam.

I still think he will be a vital player for us this season regardless of who we buy. Can still come on for 20 - 30 minutes or even the second half to steady the ship / help hold on to a lead.

He a very economical player - hardly ever gives the ball away. Shame hes not 10 years younger. And yes definately worth keeping on in a coaching poisition - if thats what he wants to do when he finishes playing...

you're kidding me right?

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:36 am 

he's still good, got more footballing brains than most of our squad, he's just slow. To many times he's been caught in posession, or given away pointless fouls because he couldn't quite keep up. I also read summat last year that he's the most fouled player in the premiership(its probably true) I admire the man a lot but i dont think there's much left in him. Defo give him a coach role though!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:40 pm 

If Didi had played a few more games last season I reckon that he would have been in the top three for player of the season. On Thursday though, even though he scored I thought that everything else he did was awful, he passing was dreadful.

CTID

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:25 am 

Gelson might be the right replacement for Hamann, but his problem is that he needs to gain some more experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:42 am 

i can see gelson being a city player for the next 10 years, didi will use this final year to groom him a bit more and then when he finally hangs up the boots gelson will be a great replacement

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"