Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:28 pm 

Winston_Smith wrote:
That Gyan was on the short list for last years world player of the year, am I missing something here:confused:

He did well in the World Cup. That's pretty much it I guess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:30 pm 

Winston_Smith wrote:
That Gyan was on the short list for last years world player of the year, am I missing something here:confused:

He was very good at the world cup (right until he missed that penalty).

O Blue wrote:
I reckon that Keita or Boateng win it...

Can't see it being Keita as he isn't quite instrumental in the Barcelona machine. I'd have it down to Toure, Boateng and Gervinho. Toure may suffer for not having won a domestic league last season, though he's probably been the best African player this calendar year. Boateng's a decent shout but may suffer for having retired internationally (dunno how the award is decided).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:38 pm 

DarloBlue wrote:
He was very good at the world cup (right until he missed that penalty).

Can't see it being Keita as he isn't quite instrumental in the Barcelona machine. I'd have it down to Toure, Boateng and Gervinho. Toure may suffer for not having won a domestic league last season, though he's probably been the best African player this calendar year. Boateng's a decent shout but may suffer for having retired internationally (dunno how the award is decided).

Yaya Won the FA Cup :8ball:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:15 am 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
:confused:

Well, he is in our farm team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:54 am 

Good news everyone...

City delay Toure departure

Quote:
Manchester City will delay Yaya Toure's departure to the African Cup of Nations so that the midfielder can take part in the FA Cup tie against Manchester United.

Toure, who will also now be available for the first leg of the Carling Cup semi-final against Liverpool, admitted to feeling "guilty and confused" about his impending month-long absence while his City team-mates continue their charge toward the Premier League title. However, the Ivory Coast international is still likely to miss five important league games next month and says his loyalties are split between club and country.

"Our country needs people like myself and Didier Drogba because there is a war and it's important we do what we can for our people, but this is also a crucial time of the season," he said. "There are two crucial months coming up and now I am going to miss one of them. The team, the club and the manager need me, but I will have to go away and play in a different competition.

"It's difficult as I am very focused for City and we need all the players. I have to go because my country is going through some difficult things, but I am a little bit guilty and confused about it.

"My loyalties are divided and I do feel a little bit sad. But City will cope. We have fantastic players who can take my place, such as Nigel de Jong and Gareth Barry, while Owen Hargreaves is also working very hard to come back."

City have been afforded the same special dispensation given to Yaya Toure for his brother Kolo. The African Cup of Nations will be hosted by Gabon and Equatorial Guinea and begins on January 21.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:48 pm 

tbf, he's looked that knackered that his passing is way off at the moment and he has the annoyed, frazzled, 1000 yard stare of a man in need of a kip. prolly explains why he had a go at mata, he looks knackered

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:53 pm 

He seriously had it in for someone at the weekend. I don't know what the fuck he was thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:37 pm 

World
Yaya Toure wins Africa's top award

Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure has been named African Player of the Year at an awards ceremony in the Ghanaian capital Accra.

The Manchester City player won ahead of Mali and Barcelona midfielder Seydou Keita, with Ghana forward Andre Ayew - who plays for French club Marseille - third.

Harouna Doula won Coach of the Year at Thursday's annual Confederation of African Football awards after he led Niger to its first African Cup of Nations finals, qualifying from a group containing South Africa and record seven-time champion Egypt.

Botswana won Team of the Year after it also qualified for its first African Cup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:10 am 

Manchester City's Yaya Touré named 2011 African footballer of the year
• Touré only the second Ivorian to win the award
• Follows in footsteps of Chelsea's Didier Drogba

reddit this
Press Association
guardian.co.uk, Friday 23 December 2011 01.12 GMT
Article history

Yaya Touré, the Manchester City midfielder, has been named as African footballer of the year at a ceremony in Accra. Photograph: Richard Sellers/Sportsphoto
The Manchester City midfielder Yaya Touré has been named the 2011 African footballer of the year.

The Ivory Coast international has established himself as a key player in the City team since arriving at the club from Barcelona in 2010.

Touré scored the winner in City's FA Cup semi-final victory over Manchester United and in the final against Stoke, ending the club's 35-year wait for a major trophy. His displays this season have also helped Roberto Mancini's side to the top of the Premier League.

A statement on the Confederation of African Football's official website read: "The 28-year-old pipped Ghanaian midfielder Andre Ayew and Malian Seydou Keita to scoop the top-most honour at the awards gala on Thursday at the Banquet Hall, State House in Accra."

Touré is only the second Ivorian to win the award since its inception in 1992, following in the footsteps of the Chelsea striker Didier Drogba.

The award was voted for by the head coaches of the national teams in Africa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:17 am 

I just watched Yaya’s “askyaya” interview. It’s well confusing. It appears that he would like to be superman if he was a superhero, because of his ability to love???

Other Diva’s he listens to, apart from Whitney Houston…….. Bob Marley???

Post subject: Re: Yaya Toure
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:25 am 

Yaya Toure has revealed he could quit international football – and save Manchester City from another African Cup of Nations nightmare.

Toure, 28, will wait until the heartbreak of Ivory Coast’s penalty shoot-out defeat to Zambia in last weekend’s final has eased before deciding whether to call time on his 67-cap career.

But the Africa Cup of Nations is scheduled to be played next January again and Toure says it will be tough to once more turn his back on the club who pay his £220,000-a-week wages.

City were knocked out of the FA Cup and Carling Cup during Toure’s absence. And the midfielder said: “We will see whether I carry on.

“I have to think about what is best for me, for my club and for my country. I love playing for Ivory Coast so it is not an easy thing to think about.

“Maybe if we had won against Zambia things would have been easier for me. The disappointment is big at the moment so I will wait until I have a clear mind before deciding what to do.

“The African Nations is being played again next year and because we have lost the final it is an ­emotional time for us all.

“But a decision about playing for Ivory Coast has to be made. I will take my time and think about things, about what I will do.”

Toure was disappointed that Ivory Coast coach Francois Zahoui (below) refused his request to ­report a day late for African Nations duty so that he could play in the FA Cup third-round tie against Manchester United.

And Zahouri was also criticised for ­substituting his star ­midfielder with extra-time looming in the final.

Toure added: “City are my club. I have a duty to them because I am a professional, but I also ­needed to play for my country.

“I did my duty, but I didn’t like being away from my City at such an important stage of the season.

“I really wanted to play against United in the FA Cup but could not get permission to be there.

“When I left we were in the two cups. When I came back we were out. I am happy that we are still first in the Premier League. That’s the most important thing the aim is to stay there.”

Toure feels his determination to win the title has been strengthened by Ivory Coast’s failure.

Wayne Rooney used his Twitter account to taunt Yaya and brother Kolo about the defeat to Zambia.

And after immediately hitting his powerful stride when he returned to the City team that won 2-1 at Porto in the Europa League on Thursday night, the younger Toure wants to make the Manchester United striker pay for the insult.

Toure said: “If Rooney thought Ivory Coast losing was funny then that’s up to him. I like Rooney. He is a great player.

“He will know a lot of the Ivory Coast players like me, Kolo, (Cheick) Tiote and (Didier) Drogba so he’ll have an opinion.

“I think many people believed Ivory Coast would win. Even my friends said to me that they thought it was impossible that we would lose. All I can say is that losing in the African Nations has made my determination to win the Premier League even bigger.

“Hopefully at the end of the ­season it will be me laughing and not Rooney. That would be good.”

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:38 pm 

love me a bit of yaya.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:43 pm 

Now this is the kind of commitment we want.

Read that Carlos!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:49 pm 

He's such a loveable man.

He's another whose passing was ridiculously good on Saturday. Just spraying pinpoint passes from anywhere on the pitch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:54 pm 

Neither lovable nor loveable look correct.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:00 pm 

Yeah I couldn't decide. Typed lovable first then though it couldn't be right, then couldn't be arsed checking up so thought I'd wait for Bert to be a smart arse about it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:03 pm 

:banana-blonde: :banana-dance: I shall be incredibly smart arse about it and say that I know the answer but I am not going to tell you. :character-oldtimer:

Last edited by Bert Trautmanns neck brace on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:04 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:44 pm 

(the answer is either)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:37 pm 

Frig!

The Federation Ivorian de Football has confirmed that Yaya Toure, despite having flown to Abidjan, will not play in tonight's charity game against Guinea through injury

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next